Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I can't wait for the inevitable ska-punk cover of slow songs backlash in 2023 horror trailers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

really the only 'song slowed down for horrific effect' track i like is David Lynch's weird rear end industrial slowdown of American Woman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SPreLJUhcQ

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Slow rear end Jolene is an S-tier slow song edit.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89NZEy_DZ3s

pitch corrected vocals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybsg0CSNM10

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 18, 2022

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

Do you ever get into discussions about "Hey, this proposed edit absolutely ruins the whole project with spoilers" or "How about we sell the story but with complete misdirection in the edit"? I am fascinated by this.

Thankfully we don’t have to worry too much about spoilers because our main project is basically spoiler-free and our objective is to show things off well, maybe hide Easter eggs and make sure viewers get a clear idea of intention from the product. On other projects with spoiler potential moments we just omit footage from those sections and find similar textures elsewhere that get something similar across without being the actual spoiler moment. If you gotta put something that could be considered a spoiler it can usually be edited around well enough you can’t tell necessarily what’s going on. But yeah there will be discussions if there needs to be but the parameters of a video are usually laid out at least 1-2 months in advance depending on how big the project is. We just find ways to make it work within that box.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Gary Jules ruined it for everyone.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Has the thread talked about Howling Village yet, because I just watched it on Prime and had a really good time with it. Trailer spoils one of the more fun moments so maybe don't watch it if you read the premise and it sounds interesting to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi2Mjfy5qXE

It is not an objectively great movie by any metric, but it was absolutely stupid fun. It's a lot like walking through a haunted house where they're trying every dumb thing non-stop to try and get a scare out of you. I don't think five minutes pass in the movie without some sort of scare attempt, and even though most of them don't work, there's a couple moments that I thought were brilliant like both times that women fall from out of nowhere and splat. I don't think anybody's going to have their worldview altered by it, but if you're slightly hammered (did I mention I was slightly hammered?), it was a lot more fun than any of the critical reviews indicated.

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 18, 2022

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

Thankfully we don’t have to worry too much about spoilers because our main project is basically spoiler-free and our objective is to show things off well, maybe hide Easter eggs and make sure viewers get a clear idea of intention from the product. On other projects with spoiler potential moments we just omit footage from those sections and find similar textures elsewhere that get something similar across without being the actual spoiler moment. If you gotta put something that could be considered a spoiler it can usually be edited around well enough you can’t tell necessarily what’s going on. But yeah there will be discussions if there needs to be but the parameters of a video are usually laid out at least 1-2 months in advance depending on how big the project is. We just find ways to make it work within that box.

Very cool. Thank you for sharing!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Has the thread talked about Howling Village yet, because I just watched it on Prime and had a really good time with it. Trailer spoils one of the more fun moments so maybe don't watch it if you read the premise and it sounds interesting to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi2Mjfy5qXE

It is not an objectively great movie by any metric, but it was absolutely stupid fun. It's a lot like walking through a haunted house where they're trying every dumb thing non-stop to try and get a scare out of you. I don't think five minutes pass in the movie without some sort of scare attempt, and even though most of them don't work, there's a couple moments that I thought were brilliant like both times that women fall from out of nowhere and splat. I don't think anybody's going to have their worldview altered by it, but if you're slightly hammered (did I mention I was slightly hammered?), it was a lot more fun than any of the critical reviews indicated.
So I agree that this is one of the more fun, recent J-horror movies but it was a bit weird near the end when it goes into that the some villagers were forced into having sex with dogs(?). At least I think that's what I recall about it cause it really came out of left field.

It kinda reminded me of another older J-horror film about a haunted apartment that just decided to take a left turn into edginess; the gist was that people that lived inside this haunted apartment complex before midnight, otherwise they'd be killed by a vengeful spirit and a down on his luck father/daughter family have just moved in. Cut to the end of the film where the father is racing against time to make it home before midnight and right when he thinks he's made it the daughter is revealed to have tricked the dad and left him outside to be killed by the ghost, and it turns out that the teenage daughter has been the target of the father's continual rapes since the mom left the picture and the ghost was also a teenage girl who had been raped and killed by her father...and yeah, there had been no indication of this strained family dynamic or rape anytime previously.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 18, 2022

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

discworld is all I read posted:

So I agree that this is one of the more fun, recent J-horror movies but it was a bit weird near the end when it goes into that the some villagers were forced into having sex with dogs(?). At least I think that's what I recall about it cause it really came out of left field.

I THIIIIIIINK that the twist was supposed to be that they were a village of werewolves, which the power plant people misunderstood and spread as being dog-fuckers. That's why everybody coming from the village has some broad ability to transform into wolves. That said, it felt more like they just need a little extra something-something at the end of the movie and decided, Hell, why not werewolves too. I'm like 99% sure this is right given the cheeky 'Howling Village' title (hurr durr, wolves howl).

discworld is all I read posted:

It kinda reminded me of another older J-horror film about a haunted apartment that just decided to take a left turn into edginess; the gist was that people that lived inside this haunted apartment complex before midnight, otherwise they'd be killed by a vengeful spirit and a down on his luck father/daughter family have just moved in. Cut to the end of the film where the father is racing against time to make it home before midnight and right when he thinks he's made it the daughter is revealed to have tricked the dad and left him outside to be killed by the ghost, and it turns out that the teenage daughter has been the target of the father's continual rapes since the mom left the picture and the ghost was also a teenage girl who had been raped and killed by her father...and yeah, there had been no indication of this strained family dynamic or rape anytime previously.

Uhh, if you remember the title, do share. I love when J-Horror movies just absolutely poo poo the bed in the final twenty minutes and throw EVERYTHING at the wall.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Uhh, if you remember the title, do share. I love when J-Horror movies just absolutely poo poo the bed in the final twenty minutes and throw EVERYTHING at the wall.

I think it was this

https://letterboxd.com/film/tales-of-terror-haunted-apartment/

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, it was this one; it was mostly fine, albeit a bit on the cheap side. But yeah, that ending was unexpected to some degree.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Someone has it on Archive.org and the tags are pretty solid:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm gunna check both of those out

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Oops

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I fell behind on my Folk Horror watches but I just got through Witchhammer and I'm honestly stunned. Imagine watching Witchfinder General and thinking "that was too optimistic" at the end and you've got Witchhammer. This was absolutely brutal, I feel completely drained after watching it. Incredible filmmaking that I don't think I could watch a second time.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Oh gently caress I hate the loving slowed down acoustic/piano remakes of songs in trailers. I hate it so much. I have literally never heard one that sounds good.

I'm still waiting for someone to perform a slowed-down version of Bela Lugosi's Dead in a trailer.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I fell behind on my Folk Horror watches but I just got through Witchhammer and I'm honestly stunned. Imagine watching Witchfinder General and thinking "that was too optimistic" at the end and you've got Witchhammer. This was absolutely brutal, I feel completely drained after watching it. Incredible filmmaking that I don't think I could watch a second time.

I just got the Severin boxset and have only seen A Field in England. Is there a recommended order to go through these in, or just do it chronologically? Documentary first or last?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I watched the documentary first, the discs are arranged more or less thematically in the order topics are covered in the documentary. I figure I'll watch it again after finishing all the movies and get even more out of it!

There are also a few short films on every disc and I wanted to save those for later.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Anyone else watch End Of The Line(2007)? What did you think of the ending?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Disposable Scud posted:

Anyone else watch End Of The Line(2007)? What did you think of the ending?

I've seen it but honestly can't remember a thing about it. Something with a cult? I remember not loving it at the time but that was at least a decade ago.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh poo poo, the comic expo near me is next month and I wasn't planning on going what with the world the way it is, but they just announced Robert Englund...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s so expensive to meet lol. I wanted too but a hundo…idk. Love the man and glad he’s making money though. No shade

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

I’m gonna hawk my short film again since PG is being talked about, (it stars Owen Myre who played Luke in PG). I showed it to some people a bit back but I might show it again if anyone wants to see it.

I’m doing festivals stuff now so I can’t release it online yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k21g9fN6vI8

Let me know the second I can give you money to see the whole thing because the trailer is fantastic.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Viy owns, it's an incredibly drunk and campy film. There's a cute witch surfing on a coffin, this movie rules. The ending is absolutely wild

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 19, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Let me know the second I can give you money to see the whole thing because the trailer is fantastic.

Thank you!

I might just drop it in here for a week or something. Idk. I want people to see it lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

CelticPredator posted:

I’m gonna hawk my short film again since PG is being talked about, (it stars Owen Myre who played Luke in PG). I showed it to some people a bit back but I might show it again if anyone wants to see it.

I’m doing festivals stuff now so I can’t release it online yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k21g9fN6vI8

This is really good.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I’ve now watched the new Scream movie twice at the cinema it’s a drat good scream movie but on second viewing with the knowledge of who the killers are it raises questions….

I guess this is par the course for a scream movie but I’m of the opinion that there’s a 3rd killer and it’s possibly Mindy

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Gaz2k21 posted:

I’ve now watched the new Scream movie twice at the cinema it’s a drat good scream movie but on second viewing with the knowledge of who the killers are it raises questions….

I guess this is par the course for a scream movie but I’m of the opinion that there’s a 3rd killer and it’s possibly Mindy

Yeah maybe, the cut away when that character is attacked felt like a big cop out. Doesn’t explain why they’d be attacked in the first place though.

It’s weird but the Scream franchise finally won the war of attrition and I like it now. We marathoned it on new year’s and it was really enjoyable. I still have my quibbles with it and I don’t think any of the first four are scary at all but the consistency of the core cast and director and the whodunnit aspect really make for a consistent bunch of movies.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

After a few days, it would have worked better if the two killers were two queer woman super fans. So the girl twin and the same other female killer. A much more interesting meta commentary than just one and one that was an angry fan that groomed the woman killer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think the thing I like most about the Scream movies is how often Ghostface gets his rear end kicked, falls over, hits his head on a door. He's not a supernatural killer, just a guy/girl who can't see well out of the mask.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Medullah posted:

I think the thing I like most about the Scream movies is how often Ghostface gets his rear end kicked, falls over, hits his head on a door. He's not a supernatural killer, just a guy/girl who can't see well out of the mask.
Absolutely. It was a delight every time this happened in 5cream :allears:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
e: wrong thread

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 20, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Please take all scream chat to the new scream thread. Thanks!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Crossposting from the General Thread:

Apparently a 16 year old YouTuber made this in Blender.

By himself.

I desperately want to see him given a nice budget and turn this into a feature length production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4dGpz6cnHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvmEc7JhR0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXdIDjzy6KY

This is terrific stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Stars please somehow align that this kid directs a Shin Megami Tensei movie

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Continuing my All The Haunts Be Ours watch: Tilbury is absolutely wild, sleazy, gross and hilarious. Heavy Blue Velvet vibes, but with way more barfing. The score rules.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Gonz posted:

By himself.

I desperately want to see him given a nice budget and turn this into a feature length production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4dGpz6cnHo

This is terrific stuff.

Coughing after what looks like a warp? Am I watching Marble Hornets????

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Definitely something to turn alerts on for.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’s really great. And that sound editing is impeccable; it gives off a a heavy Marble Hornets/Local 58 vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LOCAL58TV/videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Gonz posted:

By himself.

Wait, this was done in Blender?! My god. I watched The Backrooms the other day (and loved it) and was curious how he made all the rooms/locations look so faithful to the "source material". drat, that is even more impressive.