Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The real trick is watching 31 31 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive done it

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Careful, if you watch 5 Tony Todd movies in a row, he appears in your living room. He's really charming & nice but you'll feel really guilty while he's waiting for his uber to show up and take him home.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Goddamnit I love this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XwlWXtpaCM

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

If I need to know if a horror film is going to be good I honestly just ask in this thread and people are usually really good with recommendations.

This is pretty much how I look for recommendations along with what I hear from co-workers.

And regarding the earlier zombie trends discussion, I don't think the subgenre's played out but moreso there's too many still stuck in the mindset that zombie films have to be set in modern day, must have society totally crumble into warlords and rape gangs soon as one can't make it to Starbucks as usual, zombies must be one of the varying flavors of runners or shamblers, intelligent or not, always eating flesh or brains.

Why not try something different with concepts such as set during the Gold Rush up North with zombies that feed off of body heat/life energy, or we manage to extend our lifespan to where we find out after a certain point death just leads to undeath and how does society change to accommodate that, or set in Ancient Egypt where part of the mummification procedure creates undead who've been keeping secret over the centuries. There's so much more that can be done, but there's a distinct lack of creativity with where to explore.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

M_Sinistrari posted:

This is pretty much how I look for recommendations along with what I hear from co-workers.

And regarding the earlier zombie trends discussion, I don't think the subgenre's played out but moreso there's too many still stuck in the mindset that zombie films have to be set in modern day, must have society totally crumble into warlords and rape gangs soon as one can't make it to Starbucks as usual, zombies must be one of the varying flavors of runners or shamblers, intelligent or not, always eating flesh or brains.

Why not try something different with concepts such as set during the Gold Rush up North with zombies that feed off of body heat/life energy, or we manage to extend our lifespan to where we find out after a certain point death just leads to undeath and how does society change to accommodate that, or set in Ancient Egypt where part of the mummification procedure creates undead who've been keeping secret over the centuries. There's so much more that can be done, but there's a distinct lack of creativity with where to explore.

You're not going to get something different because it's way too cheap to make the modern day zombie movie. You can crib some poo poo from The Walking Dead, grab a few friends, and make babby's first horror movie at the abandoned munitions plant on the east side of town.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Has this thread talked about the unproduced X Files script by Thomas Ligotti? It's great but I'm not sure it fits.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170510012722/http://img.pathfinder.gr/clubs/files/1856/3337.txt

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Time is a flat circle, Agent Mulder

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This is all animation, right? It's really incredibly well crafted.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think there is some compositing live action footage for the close ups.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The whole backrooms thing is a one trick pony for me. That type of horror is better in literature (like House of Leaves), because a lot of the horror is thinking about space/dimensions we cant comprehend or are beyond our understanding, and trying to turn that into a visual is either impossible on a literal level (like animating dimensions we cant comprehend) or dissapointing (Ooh spooky creature and CRT static)

I love the concept/style in literature though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's a lot less about the impossibility of the space and more the dissonance between your knowledge of the space's intended use and how it is in this unnatural state.A specific kind of uncanny achieved by having what appears to be very mundane human made spaces arranged in a way they never would be on purpose.

This is also fairly subjective and varies a lot especially with differing cultural backgrounds.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It's an intriguing concept but everytime I've seen it on video its usually just infinite waiting rooms or surburban house hellscapes, which maybe just doesn't creep ME out personally. It's one of those things where it just falls flat when it transfers from concept to an actual visual medium.

I think it's because theyre always empty maybe. I think of someone like Lynch, who creates these weird spaces but also has people ACT weird in them which makes it so creepy. Infinite empty waiting rooms or hallways just get...dull I guess?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
What's you guys favorite horror podcasts? I've tried a few out and wanted to get some input. My favorite this far has been Straight Chilling.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What's you guys favorite horror podcasts? I've tried a few out and wanted to get some input. My favorite this far has been Straight Chilling.

I'd like to know this too. I haven't found one I liked since Switchblade Sisters ended. Preferably one that actually gets filmmakers on to talk about things.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's a broad question. What are you looking for, exactly? Film analysis and criticism? In depth genre history? Individual film production history? Reviews of recent films? Trivia and general discussion? Industry interviews? Comedian friends goofing around? An academic approach?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'd take any of the above if it's listenable and actually has compelling guests on. I don't need to listen to people endlessly wheezing through their Friday the 13th power rankings though, I have this thread for that.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Id say somewhere around film analysis and criticism and general trivia and friends talking. Anything will do though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Although not purely horror, my favorite is Junk Food Dinner. In it, three guys convene and go over nerd news, blu-ray releases, then review three cult movies.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Faculty of Horror is pretty much the only non-fiction podcast I listen to

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Has this thread talked about the unproduced X Files script by Thomas Ligotti? It's great but I'm not sure it fits.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170510012722/http://img.pathfinder.gr/clubs/files/1856/3337.txt

had no idea this existed, wtf

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

As a former X-Files fanatic this is wonderful, and has some great gags in it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Not explicitly horror, but You're Wrong About is often a little horror adjacent. The main host is very focused on the Satanic Panic and has did a really good deep dive through originalThe Amityville Horror novel along with other seminal satanic panic texts that aren't just really interesting, but really explore how that period defined the genre for us. She's also a horror fan and has some good naval gazing discussion on the importance of horror.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Nameless Cults updates very infrequently but can be really great. They often pull out interesting hidden gems and do a great job articulating what makes a lot of them great.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

All right now I wanna testify about this very dope movie. I don't know how this snuck onto Shudder without me noticing, but I'm glad LL posted about it because otherwise I would have missed it.

The Last Matinee, a.k.a. Red Screening, a.k.a. Bloody Screening, is a love-letter to the Italian giallo slasher genre of the 1980s. It's such a love letter, in fact, that you could easily slot it in with any other movie from that era and nobody would think twice about it. Because it's such an era-perfect recreation of a very specific type of movie, the faults of the movie are (I suspect) absolutely intentional -- they're the same faults of every other giallo slasher from that era, and The Last Matinee is dedicated to resurrecting movies of that era completely.

I had a lot of miscellaneous thoughts about the movie that I'm just going to drop as a list here.

- The movie opens with no less than 13 different studio logos and name cards, taking up the first full minute and a half of the movie. I get that it's an international picture so there's going to be a lot of hands in the pie, but it did make me laugh to be sitting in the dark and just see logo after logo pop up. What movie was it where they have the fake start of a movie and it has like twenty studio logos before it, was it like The Kentucky Fried Movie or Amazon Women on the Moon? I can't remember, but it literally made me think of that joke because it feels like it goes on forever. Not a dig at the movie, it just struck me as incredibly funny.

- I very much enjoyed that our introduction to the killer is by him eating olives out of a jar in a viscerally disgusting way. The absolute perfect wordless intro that 'this guy is a psychopath' is him flicking yellow olive brine all over after reaching into the jar and just sucking one down. It's also great foreshadowing of the 'oh my GOD is he going to eat that eyeball' scene later in the movie, which was also supremely gross and awesome.

- I also loved that all the characters are just the barebones giallo stereotypes, because you instantly know what their deal is. Crazy homeless person (who has incredible comedic facial expressions)? Troublemaking teens? Horny adults? The plucky and resourceful Final Girl? Nobody is fleshed out, but nobody needs to be, because we know who they are already. It's economic storytelling by using the characters that you already know in your head, even if you don't know this exact version of them.

- They also picked up the 'the killer is just some dude' trope and went with it, which I really appreciate in slashers. He's not some unstoppable juggernaut, if you hit him in the face, it's going to hurt him, and I think that's a lot more compelling than the Halloween model of just sponging up bullets (I still love you though Michael!)

- The real movies, and the fake movies within the context of the universe, were great little nods throughout too. Since the film takes place in a theater there were obviously going to be movie posters, but I appreciate that they mixed in real posters with the posters for the fictional films the theater is showing. Two of the most direct movie poster references are the huge poster for Dario Argento's Opera at the top of the staircase and the poster for 1987's Anguish in the box office -- both films whose plot elements (hooded killer stalks a girl in a theater, killer collects eyeballs) were recycled for use here.

- Strangely enough, the movie being played on-screen throughout the film is a real movie, a 2011 indie horror film called Frankenstein: Day of the Beast. While watching I had assumed that it was a fake movie made specifically for use here, but nope, it was a real, actual production. I did find it amusing that they gave it a different poster (one almost identical to one of the early Dracula Untold one-sheets that Universal put out a few years ago), and that the movie itself was based on the Hammer Horror model of Frankenstein, giving us a 'modern' monster movie poster for a 'classic' monster movie adaption. The cuts go deeper though, and I think the director Maximiliano Contenti uses the footage from Frankenstein: Day of the Beast in a really interesting way. The movie on-screen obviously mirrors the action taking place in the theater at several points (I think this is basically a rule for horror movies set in a movie theater) but Contenti also uses the movie as a contrast to what he himself is doing. The best example of this is late in the movie, when the killer in the theater gets knocked unconscious at the same time that one of the characters on the screen is knocked unconscious. But whereas the screen character then lurches up for a cheap jumpscare and the 'THEY CAN'T BE STOPPED' scare, the killer in the theater stays down and moans instead, and the movie progresses. You would typically expect the jumpscare in a horror movie where the killer sits up and startles someone, but this isn't exactly that type of horror movie, so it doesn't happen. It's a fun little subversion that I thought was also a cheeky way to have your cake and eat it too -- there's still a jumpscare, it's just in the movie-in-a-movie instead.

- Contenti's script also addresses the one major problem that every single 'killer in a movie theater' movie seems to have, by having the theater be in a lovely part of town where the entrance is blocked off by metal roller doors. Too many movies in the setting instead opt for these big glass doors where you either have to have a character ignore them completely, or have the obligatory scene where someone tries to break a glass door and can't (which is idiotic on its own), so it's nice to have that taken out of the equation entirely by just saying, 'Nope, metal roller door is down, tough poo poo, can't get out this way'.

- Finally, I liked the little kid character who serves absolutely no purpose in the movie other than to escape danger and survive until the end. You could absolutely cut him out of the movie, but instead I think he provides a really fun parallel re: seeing a horror movie in the theater is a childhood rite of passage. Great little subtext detail, and a great set-up for the mirrored shot on the staircase at the beginning and end with gumballs vs. eyeballs.

Anyway, I think you should totally watch the movie if you like giallo slashers, it's a pretty good time. Get the greasiest pizza and the shittiest beer you can find, and enjoy!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kvlt! posted:

The whole backrooms thing is a one trick pony for me. That type of horror is better in literature (like House of Leaves), because a lot of the horror is thinking about space/dimensions we cant comprehend or are beyond our understanding, and trying to turn that into a visual is either impossible on a literal level (like animating dimensions we cant comprehend) or dissapointing (Ooh spooky creature and CRT static)

I love the concept/style in literature though.

I think this kind of horror can be done well in literature, but in regards to the backrooms themselves, there is a lot of literature and its all largely terrible. Beyond the original spooky posts, its grown into a sort of larger community driven mythos sort of like SCP except a much tighter focus but less creativity. Visualizing the backrooms as a real physical space keeps the focus on the claustrophobia and unfamiliarity without getting caught up in how the setting lore inspired by a haunted NES Godzilla cartridge or whatever.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I think there's a big difference between the writing quality of something like House of Leaves vs. SCP-like fanfics.

Meaning, if we gave the concept to a master writer and a master filmmaker, I feel like the writer would be able to scare me more.

But horror books largely scare me whereas horror movies largely dont so maybe its just my own reaction to fear.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Evolution of horror is pretty good, it’s all done in seasons that concentrate on one particular subculture of horror the presenter Mike is pretty easy to listen to and he has a cast of regulars who seem like their having a good time, my favourite guests are Brad Hanson and Steve Webb….who also has his own podcast called Brain Rot where he gets guests to watch 80s era cult/horror movies it’s pretty fun and he’s had some great guests like Elijah wood and Stephen Fry.

Of course there’s also The Movie Crypt, I haven’t listened in a while but it’s a great invite into how the industry works and Adam and Joe have a great chemistry

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm suspicious of the term "high weirdness" for the same reason, it can be a license to just do whatever because truth is stranger than fiction.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Opopanax posted:

Faculty of Horror is pretty much the only non-fiction podcast I listen to

:same:

I listened to With Gourley and Rust for a while and enjoyed it, it’s mostly just them hanging out and chatting though. The first two seasons (In Voorhees/Myers We Trust) were great but I kind of fell off listening to them once they switched to random movies.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
house of leave this book in the dumpster, hehe

I didn't liked it

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

it took me a few times to get through that book. its interesting but i wouldnt recommend it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kvlt! posted:

But horror books largely scare me whereas horror movies largely dont so maybe its just my own reaction to fear.

I am literally the exact opposite, I have never gotten that scared at a book. About the only horror I get from reading is existential crisis stuff, some science fiction stuff has made me horrified but it wasn't written specifically as horror. Stephen King hasn't done a drat thing for me although I think he's a great writer and storyteller.

Now movies, jeez Louis they scare the absolute piss out of me. Get a guy alone in a room, plink the piano, and put a shadow on the wall and I'm near pissin' myself.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/FANGORIA/status/1521243681818296322

Hail Raatma!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Apparently there's a mystical war brewing in Iceland between two opposing occult sects.

One faction the Sólsetur (a sort of hippie cult complete with cacao ceremonies, drum circles, shroom orgies, and nudism) has been getting a lot of negative press due to being creepy and full of sex pests (like their "Tantric Guru" a guy called Shaft) and as such haven't been getting a long with their rural neighbours.

Things came to a boil a couple days ago when someone raised a nithing pole by their compound. That is to say an ancient practice where a fresh horse head is impaled on a stake with curse scroll in its mouth or carved into the pole. The idea being that you point the head in the general direction of your enemy to send all spirits against them to drive them away.

Originally the head was thought be placed by the hippies against nearby farmers but now the hippies claim a rival faction of traditionalist magic users lead by a mysterious seeress are responsible. This might also just be a fabrication by the hippies to try and gain sympathy. If not there's going to be a lot of battles on the astral plane the next few weeks.

So basically like a bad sequel to Midsommar except in reality.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ratmaa looks stunning

I hope PG wins awards tonight

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I am literally the exact opposite, I have never gotten that scared at a book. About the only horror I get from reading is existential crisis stuff, some science fiction stuff has made me horrified but it wasn't written specifically as horror. Stephen King hasn't done a drat thing for me although I think he's a great writer and storyteller.

Now movies, jeez Louis they scare the absolute piss out of me. Get a guy alone in a room, plink the piano, and put a shadow on the wall and I'm near pissin' myself.

Yeah im with you, Stephen King doesnt scare me at all but Conspiracy Against The Human Race kept me up for days

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah im with you, Stephen King doesnt scare me at all but Conspiracy Against The Human Race kept me up for days

Oh man the part where he points out that nobody would want to be born in the past for all the suffering it would entail and then points out that future people are going to say the same drat thing about your timespan...that got me good.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

All right now I wanna testify about this very dope movie. I don't know how this snuck onto Shudder without me noticing, but I'm glad LL posted about it because otherwise I would have missed it.

The Last Matinee, a.k.a. Red Screening, a.k.a. Bloody Screening, is a love-letter to the Italian giallo slasher genre of the 1980s. It's such a love letter, in fact, that you could easily slot it in with any other movie from that era and nobody would think twice about it. Because it's such an era-perfect recreation of a very specific type of movie, the faults of the movie are (I suspect) absolutely intentional -- they're the same faults of every other giallo slasher from that era, and The Last Matinee is dedicated to resurrecting movies of that era completely.

Anyway, I think you should totally watch the movie if you like giallo slashers, it's a pretty good time. Get the greasiest pizza and the shittiest beer you can find, and enjoy!

Im so glad you liked it. The only reason I found it was because I’m a subscriber to Vinegar Syndrome and had a 50% off coupon for their partner titles. Saw this was available, watched the trailer, and took a chance. Their partner labels are a great place to find modern and older independent films, especially genre films. Another that looked good but I still need to watch is They Look Like People. Plot synopsis says it’s a doppelgänger/body snatchers type of thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhUleQXKJtQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Penda's Fen is a quite a picture.

It is far more folk than horror but its an amazingly layered piece of work. Especially the dream sequences which are just magnificent pieces of surrealist cinema.

Possibly the best queer pagan anarchist coming of age tv film of the 70s.