Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

The Addiction is by far my fave for ‘95.

E: Oops! Can’t say I even have a fave for ‘96. Been too long since I’ve seen Scream to count. Splatter: Naked Blood and Thesis are my two highest rated for the year, but that’s not very high.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Servoret posted:

The Addiction is by far my fave for ‘95.

E: Oops! Can’t say I even have a fave for ‘96. Been too long since I’ve seen Scream to count. Splatter: Naked Blood and Thesis are my two highest rated for the year, but that’s not very high.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i have seen scream five times, i first saw scream last year, scream is the greatest movie of all time!!! woahhhhhh

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I have to go with From Dusk til Dawn as a top fave for 1996. It's probably a sign that I'd end up getting more into the Weird Wild West subgenre with how much I love Dusk til Dawn.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
In honesty, I've gotta give 1996 to Scream. But if anything were to dethrone it, it would be

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite horror movie is obviously twister

(Lol idk why that’s in the list)

Also 1996 is filled with bangers. Scream, Henry, from Dusk Till Dawn, Tremors 2, tromeo and Juliet (which I like but love more bc it brought in my favorite director) the arrival, the frighteners

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ebola Syndrome

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CelticPredator posted:

Also 1996 is filled with bangers. Scream, Henry, from Dusk Till Dawn, Tremors 2, tromeo and Juliet (which I like but love more bc it brought in my favorite director) the arrival, the frighteners

I checked because it just felt wrong that this would be from 1996, and yeah Henry is from '86.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

drat why google be lyin to me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wow what the hell

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0116516/

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Frighteners is a LOT of fun. You know what, I’m due for a rewatch.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My friends and I saw this without knowing it was horror, and it was the best surprise I've ever had in a theater.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Scream is the obvious winner for '96 but gotta give honourable mention to Mars Attacks.

Ack ack ack!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
95 and 96 I've got no strong feelings about.

The Craft does have a scene that's stuck with me. when they pass out after the ritual, and wake up on the beach and it's just littered with dead sea life

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I think Dusk Til Dawn is my pick for 96 even if I've seen it way less, because I started the Not Actually A Horror Movie thing and I don't want to get into that rut. I should rewatch Dusk Til Dawn sometime.

Twister (as with JP) is one of my favorite movies period, if we use the "I will always watch this if I see it's on" definition of favorite. It's a monster movie where the monster chasing you is "weather". It's got Alan Ruck and Philip Seymour Hoffman and Cary Elwes and cows. (Not outside of Aunt Maggie's place, though.) The whole movie is a giant commercial for the then-new semi-styled Dodge Ram, which unfortunately did not have a self-healing windshield in real life. I adore Twister.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Scream is a perfect movie and possibly the best of the whole decade.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just for being influential on kids at that age (source: me, who was a kid in 96) it's gotta be Scream and The Craft.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I feel like I've seen the Craft so many times, and I still feel like I need more Fairuza Balk in my life.

Like, the Craft, American History X, the Waterboy and the Island of Dr. Moreau? That's all we got?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

davidspackage posted:

I feel like I've seen the Craft so many times, and I still feel like I need more Fairuza Balk in my life.

Like, the Craft, American History X, the Waterboy and the Island of Dr. Moreau? That's all we got?

man, I love The Waterboy.

"And Vicky Valencourt showed me her boobies and I liked them too!" is forever part of my vocabulary.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Christmas Bloody Christmas is out now everywhere (theaters, VOD, and Shudder). It's stupid and I love it

Also she's completely right about Pet Sematary 2 being the best one

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I'm actually going to pick From Dusk til Dawn over Scream for 1996. Its more fun.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Return to Oz kicks rear end and is definitely in the "arguably a horror movie" pile

she also has a fun bit part in Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call: New Orleans (not horror but a great movie)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

she also has a fun bit part in Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call: New Orleans (not horror but a great movie)

I totally forgot about this and I love this movie so much. It's my favourite Cage by a wide margin.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Return to Oz kicks rear end and is definitely in the "arguably a horror movie" pile

Oh yeah, definitely!

I think she just runs a New Age/wicca shop nowadays?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

moths posted:

My friends and I saw this without knowing it was horror, and it was the best surprise I've ever had in a theater.

:same:

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

davidspackage posted:

I think she just runs a New Age/wicca shop nowadays?

To be fair, that does sound very in-character for her.

Also, best of '96 is obviously Scream, by a wide margin, but I'd be remiss not to mention Bad Moon, the surprisingly decent little werewolf movie.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
You guys should be using letterboxd instead of a google search, it gives you a better idea of what came out.
https://letterboxd.com/films/popular/year/1996/genre/horror/

I'd have to go with Scream for 1996, but I thought Killer Condom was pretty unexpectedly great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Tremors 2 would actually be pretty high on my list for 96. I'd probably put it above everything except for Scream and From Dusk Till Dawn.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Scream is obviously the winner, but I want to give a shoutout to Head of the Family just for... being what it is. It's a Charles Band movie that I didn't find boring, so it's got that going for it.

Plenty of other decent movies too, like From Dusk Til Dawn, The Frighteners, etc. I love Tromeo & Juliet but come on, it's not a horror movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Holy poo poo Freeway (watching it now but also out in 1996)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Holy poo poo Freeway (watching it now but also out in 1996)

Insane movie that weirdly doesn't seem to get talked about much anymore. It definitely made a splash at the time. Shoulda been Reese's first Oscar.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Insane movie that weirdly doesn't seem to get talked about much anymore. It definitely made a splash at the time. Shoulda been Reese's first Oscar.

really looking forward to revisiting it soon. I've got that coming in my Vinegar Syndrome box on Saturday.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Brittany Murphy is also a surprise stand out.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What I'm getting out of this is that the 90s are a whole lot better than I remembered. Not 80s or 70s tier, but still pretty drat good all things considered.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was looking into Freeway after the brief discussion here, saw the director is listed as a "former" director and wanted to know why. A quick trip to his filmography explains it pretty well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the decline was more relative, the slasher genre seeming well and truly dead and nothing really replacing it as a sure-fire money maker meant you got some interesting stuff but it was scattered around.

They were kinda hit by shifts in the indie market too, DTV took over where the grindhouses had gone away.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Looks like AMC let go Shudder GM Craig Engler and their main community manager.. bumpy times ahead 😔

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Looks like AMC let go Shudder GM Craig Engler and their main community manager.. bumpy times ahead 😔

:rip:

I guess I could do with one less streaming service :smith:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Didn't like Nope.

It was a bit better than Us but not by much. The comic relief in Jordan Peele's movies usually comes off as stupid to me and deflates surrounding tension instead of being a welcome relief.

There's more to it than that, but I was mixed on the movie until the 'nobody fucks with haywood' bit, then I was done. The script is a bit of a mess, there's no real emotional stake excep a brief bit about the ranch being important because it was the first black owned horse wrangling ranch for hollywood. Except not even OJ seems to give much of a poo poo about that. He's getting at something with the exploitation of animals and them turning against you, but that's just a theme. Anything can have a theme, the actual drama/comedy of the film didn't work.

The best bit was the scary chimpanzee flashback. Now that I think about it, that part had almost no dialogue.

All three of his movies have the same problems for me and aren't going away, so I suppose he's just not for me.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron von Eevl posted:

I was looking into Freeway after the brief discussion here, saw the director is listed as a "former" director and wanted to know why. A quick trip to his filmography explains it pretty well.

Matthew Bright is a rare case of a guy who was cancelled like a decade before they had latched onto that word.