Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

JordanKai posted:

I like American Ring because it captures the loneliness and isolation of being the one bearing the curse of the tape better. I'm not sure if it works quite as well as a horror film, it definitely doesn't have the same sense of dread Ringu does, but I think it does its own thing and does it really well.

I recently rewatched it for the first time since it came out and it's definitely a well made ghost movie, but scares just didn't land for me this time. I guess maybe it just doesn't hold up to repeat viewings for me even though I originally saw it so long ago. Also I've always preferred the tape footage from the original Ringu, the American tape seems a little too slick and hollywoody whereas the one in Ringu feels like something you might actually find on an unmarked tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Ring is one of those movies that for me depends completely on the feeling of building dread as the days count down. So a lot of that effectiveness is lost once you know what happens, it's hard to feel the dread as intensely after the first viewing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

my fiancee is in mortuary school

Goddammit Kvlt, I don't know whether to say "She's the practice model?" or "Talk about being married to your work..."

(Jokes aside, congratulations.)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The Ring is one of those movies that for me depends completely on the feeling of building dread as the days count down. So a lot of that effectiveness is lost once you know what happens, it's hard to feel the dread as intensely after the first viewing.

Yeah this is probably true. Also I remember the ending being this big surprising payoff but years of sequels and pop culture references have made crawling out of a TV feel like just the thing the girl from The Ring does, rather than the culmination of all the dread you're talking about.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Here's the list I've thrown together for Spooktober. Yes, I'm seeing these all for the first time please be kind about the gaping holes in my horror history. More than 31 because I wanted some options in case I'm not feeling something.

I've got a reserve of unwatched stuff from the last 5 years also, in case I get burned out on old movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tarnop posted:

Here's the list I've thrown together for Spooktober. Yes, I'm seeing these all for the first time please be kind about the gaping holes in my horror history. More than 31 because I wanted some options in case I'm not feeling something.

I've got a reserve of unwatched stuff from the last 5 years also, in case I get burned out on old movies.

Goddamn you are in for a great month. Basically everything on that list is a stone-cold classic.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

Wow. I would consider more than 75% of them all-time favorites of mine. Your month is going to fuckin slap.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
What was everyone's favourite newly discovered movie in the last tournament? For me it was Next of Kin, a 1982 Australian spookadoodle that goes seamlessly through several subgenres of horror before coming to an absolutely glorious ending.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I keep seeing the 70s remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers on lists, so I gather it's good. One of those movies I might watch just based on its recurrence

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Halloween at Old Aunt Ethel’s

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

married but discreet posted:

What was everyone's favourite newly discovered movie in the last tournament? For me it was Next of Kin, a 1982 Australian spookadoodle that goes seamlessly through several subgenres of horror before coming to an absolutely glorious ending.

Sounds great, and it's currently on Shudder

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The April challenge or last October?

April Challenge, I rewatched Popcorn (due to it being in Z-Fest) and I love that drat movie a lot. Completely new to me was Seconds, Theater of Blood, Frailty and Long Weekend, which all hit me pretty hard. The Scream, Queen! Elm Street doc was the only real new movie I watched, and I also loved that.

October Challenge? A few stand-outs were The Ruins, The House That Screamed, Dead of Night, Almodovar's The Skin I Live In, Island of Lost Souls, Body Snatchers and Frenzy, with Salo: 120 Days of Sodom really sticking with me for days.

Last challenge is really hard for me to pick, cuz also The Lighthouse came out, 3 From Hell came out, One Cut of the Dead was new. And I got to see the new Evil Dead 4k restoration with new score in theaters.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I keep seeing the 70s remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers on lists, so I gather it's good. One of those movies I might watch just based on its recurrence

It is good, but Abel Ferrara's Body Snatchers is my favorite of the three.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
August Underground: Mortum is the worst found footage "extreme" movie I've seen. If Guinea Pig is classical music, August Underground is nu metal. It's a shaky cam while people are yelling "ah gently caress yeah dude, hell yeah bro!" for an hour and a half, also with some dry heaving sounds and some annoying laughing. There's barely any effects work, and the stuff that's in there is unintelligible because the camera is unfocused the whole time.

Not as good as Guinea Pig or American Guinea Pig. Not as good as the first AU movie even.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

October Challenge? A few stand-outs were The Ruins,

This was the one I enjoyed the most that I probably wouldn't have watched without the recommendations in that thread. Best first time watch overall last year though was Cure

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
My favorite new watch from the last challenge was The Raven w Bela Lugosi. He's so evil that role, it's great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jedit posted:

Goddammit Kvlt, I don't know whether to say "She's the practice model?" or "Talk about being married to your work..."

(Jokes aside, congratulations.)

These cracked me up lmao

Ty for the congrats everyone NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN is invited you can stand next to Rob at the wedding

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

August Underground: Mortum is the worst found footage "extreme" movie I've seen. If Guinea Pig is classical music, August Underground is nu metal. It's a shaky cam while people are yelling "ah gently caress yeah dude, hell yeah bro!" for an hour and a half, also with some dry heaving sounds and some annoying laughing. There's barely any effects work, and the stuff that's in there is unintelligible because the camera is unfocused the whole time.

Not as good as Guinea Pig or American Guinea Pig. Not as good as the first AU movie even.

A few years back I made a big effortpost on AU, I think it's time for another one. IMO it's one of the few "true" found footage movies. It's literally "found" footage, as opposed to "movie filled on shakycam, called FF". Blair Witch is one of the only other one's I can think of. AU is so nasty because it literally feels like a tape found at a crime scene. There's no movie editing, no cool shots, no filmmaking, just pure grime and disgust.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/FavoriteHorror/status/1308802633675673605?s=20

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think One Cut of the Dead was definitely the standout last year. Although I watched Q for the first time and that was a hoot

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My favorite discovery from last year was actually the very first movie I watched, Viy. Never would've seen that in a million years if it hadn't been the movie of the month.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I never would have watched Phantom of the Paradise without the challenge and that movie’s amazing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lumbermouth posted:

I never would have watched Phantom of the Paradise without the challenge and that movie’s amazing.

2020 has taught me to value De Palma, who’s career in horror alone is remarkable. The horror director tournament especially sealed his place in the canon for me.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'm gonna try to get through horror I've accumulated on physical media, but haven't watched yet (including stuff I've seen before, but not on these acquisitions/upgrades). That list is currently:
Unseen:
Big Bad Wolves
The Signal
House at the End of the Street
Incarnate
Inland Empire
Jack & Diane
The Manson Family
Synesthesia
ParaNorman

Seen:
Hereditary
The Last House on the Left
Vampire Hookers
American Psycho
Children of the Corn IV
Children of the Corn V
Children of the Corn 666
The Thing
Night of the Living Dead
Hausu
Blue Velvet
Skinned Deep

Some of those are very familiar to me, but I'm hoping the upgrades (like the Criterion treatment of Blue Velvet) are striking enough to justify plugging them into my watch schedule. I mean, NotLD is practically a given for any October, but I'll take or postpone the other rewatches as my mood dictates. And then there's a few unlisted items that might qualify under thriller status. On top of that, I'll be fitting in the list my partner has put together, when our schedules line up to watch those together. Paper in the cracks with some digital detritus, and that's a general forecast of my October.

e: Plus some items from gey muckle mowser, all previously seen.
Count Yorga, Vampire
Mimic
Ichi the Killer
Annabelle
Annabelle: Creation
Candyman

e2: And then a trip to Dollar Tree fills things out even more.
U:
Brush with Death
Harvest of Fear
Dead Mine
The Conjuring

S:
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Return of the Living Dead
Jeepers Creepers
Child's Play

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 25, 2020

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Popcorn* is for sure the best 2020 discovery but for last October I'll go with The Seventh Curse. Spooky Hong Kong adventure with lots of goop, puppets, and rubber suits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9VY6bSiTho

*Extremely good pick to check off "1 film with a movie theater in it" for Hooptober.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

A few years back I made a big effortpost on AU, I think it's time for another one. IMO it's one of the few "true" found footage movies. It's literally "found" footage, as opposed to "movie filled on shakycam, called FF". Blair Witch is one of the only other one's I can think of. AU is so nasty because it literally feels like a tape found at a crime scene. There's no movie editing, no cool shots, no filmmaking, just pure grime and disgust.

Agreed. I don't LIKE the AU movies per se, but I sure appreciate how they truly feel like some random gently caress's home videos.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

my fiancee is in mortuary school and I had to get used to watching autopsy vids while we ate 😭

"How was school today?"

"I was bored stiff"

:rimshot:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Just curious, why is Creep out? It's arguably the most tame of the movies I mentioned, besides maybe Housebound or Magic?

Eh, I just feel like the subject matter might not go over well with her. Also, it might be too slow, which would end up with whining about watching something else.

Then again it's been a few years since I've seen it so :shrug:

EDIT:

That was surprisingly difficult to explain without using the guttural sounds my roommate and I use to communicate sometimes.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 24, 2020

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Popcorn* is for sure the best 2020 discovery but for last October I'll go with The Seventh Curse. Spooky Hong Kong adventure with lots of goop, puppets, and rubber suits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9VY6bSiTho

*Extremely good pick to check off "1 film with a movie theater in it" for Hooptober.

Oh yeah, gently caress, The Seventh Curse is a MUST WATCH. I put that on in the background at a party and by the end of it everyone was watching and wondering what the gently caress was going on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I finally got around to watching Tetsuo, after first attempting it back in 1993 or so when I was 11 or 12 years old. I wish I'd stuck with it back then ha (I did afterall make it all the way through Urotsukidoji at the same time). Not sure I'll be rushing to watch it again, but it's definitely a very cool and art as gently caress film. Lead actor kills it the whole time, I'll probably find some time to do Body Hammer as I heard some people dug that one more.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

my fiancee is in mortuary school and I had to get used to watching autopsy vids while we ate 😭

my last girlfriend went to mortuary school. autopsies and skeletal examinations were one of the first things we bonded over :unsmith:

Origami Dali posted:

My favorite new watch from the last challenge was The Raven w Bela Lugosi. He's so evil that role, it's great.

double it with The Body Snatcher, with a truly menacing performance from Karloff. their universal monster roles are great but sometimes you need to be reminded that they were versatile actors and not just dracula and frankenstein's monster

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DeimosRising posted:

double it with The Body Snatcher, with a truly menacing performance from Karloff. their universal monster roles are great but sometimes you need to be reminded that they were versatile actors and not just dracula and frankenstein's monster

And if you like The Body Snatcher, be sure to watch Bedlam. Karloff as a sadistic mental institution warden.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lumbermouth posted:

Oh hell yeah. I was born in Winnipeg and my parents were raised there, so it's basically a part of our culture. I'm glad other places are starting to recognize it

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Retro Futurist posted:

Oh hell yeah. I was born in Winnipeg and my parents were raised there, so it's basically a part of our culture. I'm glad other places are starting to recognize it

It’s wild to me that it came out like five years before Rocky Horror and yet it only became a cult hit in one city in Canada.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

What is it about that movie that appeals so specifically to people from Winnipeg? I mean you guys were right of course, it's great, but why there?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

What is it about that movie that appeals so specifically to people from Winnipeg? I mean you guys were right of course, it's great, but why there?

One possible reason is that it released there over the Christmas holiday, so maybe that boost helped make it a real hit there. In the U.S. it was released in October.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Here is my current Spooktober list. My self-imposed challenges so far are:

1. Watch 66+6 films, there are currently 60 on the list, which leaves some space for...
2. Do as many Fran Challenges as possible. I'm also doing as much of the Kult Challenge as I can too, minus a few films because...
3. Every film must be new to me.
4. Watch 31 movies from 31 countries. My list currently represents 37 countries.

Living in Bondage (1992)
Dachra (2018)
Eye in the Labyrinth (1972)
The Dark Hour (2006)
In a Glass Cage (1986)
The Skin I Live In (2011)
The Eyes of My Mother (2016)
A Dark Song (2016)
The Haunting (1963)
Penda's Fen (1974)
The Little Stranger (2018)
High Tension (2003)
Daughter of Dracula (1972)
Vampyros Lesbos (1971)
The Ordeal (2004)
World on a Wire (1973)
Benny's Video (1992)
Demon (2015)
The White Reindeer (1952)
Anarchy Parlor (2015)
The Class (2007)
Taxidermia (2006)
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970)
Torso (1973)
Singapore Sling (1990)
Them (2006)
247°F(2011)
The Golem (2018)
Tumbbad (2018)
Dearest Sister (2016)
Rigor Mortis (2013)
Shutter (2004)
The Housemaid (2016)
Erotic Ghost Story (1990)
Eerie (2018)
Memento Mori (1999)
Pulgasari (1985)
Belladonna of Sadness (1973)
Fatal Frame (2014)
The Forest of Love (2019)
Helter Skelter (2012)
Strange Circus (2005)
Backcountry (2014)
What Keeps You Alive (2018)
Ilsa, the Mad Butcher (1977)
Martyrs (2008)
The Hunger (1983)
Nadja (1994)
The Velvet Vampire (1971)
Private Parts (1972)
Theresa & Allison (2019)
Good Manners (2017)
The Silent House (2010)
The Story About Master Twardowski (1995)
The Lords of Salem (2012)
31 (2016)
The Haunted World of El Superbeasto (2009)
August Underground (2001)
AU's Mordum (2003)
AU's Penance (2007)

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I try to do all new things because new horror is fun, but this year I ordered that sweet Friday the 13th box set, and I'll probably watch those and listen to the appropriate Matt Gourley podcasts afterwards. Fran's Challenges are the best, and I'll probably attempt Kult's although AU doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Where'd you source your list from? It's awesomely eclectic. I applaud your ambition!

drat I haven't thought about Benny's Video in years. I need to rewatch that.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Spatulater bro! posted:

Where'd you source your list from? It's awesomely eclectic. I applaud your ambition!

drat I haven't thought about Benny's Video in years. I need to rewatch that.

Thank you! I had a lot of help from Letterboxd lists, most notably:

(almost) One Horror Movie from Each Country in the World
🌈Opening the Vault: A Chronological History of Queer Interest & LGBTQ+ Cinema

And a wonderful person in the thread also scanned an article for me on world horror, which I've turned into this list:
The First Horror Film from Each Nation in the World

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Do you plan on knocking out all those spooky softcore movies in a row or sprinkle them throughout as sort of a pallet cleanser? I always kind of like reading reviews of those the most because I know I'll probably never actually sit down to power through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
DDD your list is super similar to my mental list I'm making up for next month. No surprise there, our tastes tend to line up :glomp: