Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

hey whats a good horror movie for :words:

maybe evil dead?

Is Ferrara’s The Addiction too on the nose?

You should probably check on your other girlfriend, Fairuza Balk, in The Craft, if you haven’t in a while.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
The answer is always Possession

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Kvlt! posted:

hey whats a good horror movie for :words:

maybe evil dead?

Brain Dead, Evil Dead 2, Dawn of the Dead 78, and Jason X. That or anything by the Safdie Brothers.

Also yeah, therapy and possibly NA?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 20, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'd say Re-Animator, because how could you think of anything else watching that spectacle

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

Tilda Swinton disappointed me for the first time ever, in Suspiria. Maybe it was Guadagnino's direction or something, but her performance was way too low-key and blah for me. I wanted something a bit more overtly pretentious and aristocratic than that. Not necessarily chewing scenery....but ok yea maybe some scenery chewing would've been nice.

Which performance

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ruddiger posted:

HARDwick PASS.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Boooo! Get off the fucken stage

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hang in there bud. If ya need to talk pm.

I recommend Disconnected (1984) if you want something super low budget.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Since we were talking about Suspiria earlier, I finally had a chance to watch it.

I thought it was a really good remake. One of the issues with remaking a movie like Suspiria is that it's very hard to improve upon it. I liked that this remake did what very few remakes are able to do which is make a different product from the same material. It felt like it found the sweet spot of taking enough that it was not worth just calling it something else without feeling beholden to the original.

I also really dug all of Swintons performances. Especially as the dance teacher. I know someone said they wished she chewed scenery more but I absolutely disagree.

We are knee deep in domineering and melodramatic instructor characters. Especially for the arts. It's very rare to see the role portrayed as someone warm and compassionate. I think it also made the sinister threat of her all the more creepy

Edit: I thought one of the smartest choices was to replace the original films reliance on color with texture. To try and mimic the artistry of what Argento did was doomed to failure. By replacing the visual dynamism with a tangible sense of physical texture was really genius

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 20, 2019

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The world of interpretive dance is inherently arch, you don't need to put ribbons on it, we get it. I just loved that it was basically a companion piece to Altman's "The Company".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
My one complaint is that the first kill in the mirror room went so long it went from horrifying to comedic

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My one complaint is that the first kill in the mirror room went so long it went from horrifying to comedic

For me it went from cool as hell to intensely uncomfortable. I adored the whole movie except for the Thom yorke music video near the end. Its interpretation of witchcraft was easily the raddest I've seen in ages

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

DeimosRising posted:

Boooo! Get off the fucken stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53VUs8dlUt4

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

Which performance

The old man struck me as unnecessary, by the end I hadn't really figured out why it was better to have her play that part under a bunch of makeup. An actual old man would've been better imo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I thought the makeup job was exceptional and the performance really well done so it didnt bug me much

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

The old man struck me as unnecessary, by the end I hadn't really figured out why it was better to have her play that part under a bunch of makeup. An actual old man would've been better imo.

That whole subplot felt pretty superfluous but Tilda held up her end of the job. I didn't realize Markos or that dude were her

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Thinking on it, maybe it was supposed to create a sense of unease and surrealism by having something unnatural about him that you couldn't quite put your finger on.

Like, I originally hated Dakota Johnson's performance until the end when I realized how she was acting was the point

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Concerning Eli Roth's History of Horror, outside of the zombie episode I honestly don't remember much Chris Hardwicke being involved. The other episodes feature cool people like Stephen King and I honestly think Eli wasn't that bad. Obviously if you're knowledgeable on the subject this isn't gonna give you much you didn't know but it really wasn't that bad overall.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's like peak Argento though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

That's like peak Argento though.

Yeah but the violence in this movie, except for the end, are very non Argento

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Concerning Eli Roth's History of Horror, outside of the zombie episode I honestly don't remember much Chris Hardwicke being involved. The other episodes feature cool people like Stephen King and I honestly think Eli wasn't that bad. Obviously if you're knowledgeable on the subject this isn't gonna give you much you didn't know but it really wasn't that bad overall.

I’m going to give the slasher episodes a chance, and will report back.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe they just hard Hardick on for that one episode because he's hosted that show about The Walking Dead for years. I guess that's acceptable.

edit: lol typo funny so I will leave it

2nd edit: I watched Overlord yesterday and liked it more than I was expecting to. There were some legit moments of pretty hosed up body horror in there, which I always appreciate.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 21, 2019

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Who is available this Saturday to help me pick out a VCR from the thrift store to watch this stupid video? I have no idea how to tell if a VCR works and also no idea how to hook it up to my PC which does seem to have some sort of video card thingie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Couldn't you just like bring a tape and ask them to let you plug in and make sure it works?

I don't think there's a lot of "VCR" experts out there who could provide you much more insight than that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I got my last VCR for like 5 bucks. It worked pretty well until it just suddenly didn't. I've been hunting for another one without any luck.

My dad's old toploader VCR from the early 80s is sitting in my storage. I occasionally use it as a prop because it's really nice and chunky and mechanical. I really need to get around to having it fixed because I'm pretty sure the only broken part is the cord.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 22, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

I got my last VCR for like 5 bucks. It worked pretty well until it just suddenly didn't. I've been hunting for another one without any luck.

We had like over a half dozen VCR/DVD combo decks at my work, and my boss ended up tossing them all out along with a bunch of other old audio and video editing equipment. I was super bummed because I even told him I'd buy them loving things, and then they just threw them away when I wasn't around. :smith:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Couldn't you just like bring a tape and ask them to let you plug in and make sure it works?

I don't think there's a lot of "VCR" experts out there who could provide you much more insight than that.

I guess but I mean I dunno if the thrift store i gonna let me go through the process of setting everyhing up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Me neither, but I doubt there really exists someone who could tell you the VCR is working without hooking it up. Like, unless you just don't know enough to tell if its not smashed in or really a tape deck.

Like as long as plugs in and powers up your biggest issue is probably if it eats tapes. And only one way of I know of to find that out.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hellraiser reboot chat a couple of days ago made me take a crack at my own Pinhead redesign. I wanted to do something really drastically different, but keeping in tone with the psychosexual aspects of the original. I started by pushing past the androgyny into something distinctly feminine. I ditched the black leather for muscle tissue to better keep consistent with the Frank/Julia resurrection effects. I also decided that the cenobites should literally look like they have been taken apart and put back together over-and-over again, so Pinhead is just a few hunks of skin nailed to a skeleton. Lastly, I reduced the amount of pins overall, made them bigger, and threaded them with barbed wire to make a "halo" of sorts.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I like how they reattached the titty skin.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

wouldn't you

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fart City posted:

Hellraiser reboot chat a couple of days ago made me take a crack at my own Pinhead redesign. I wanted to do something really drastically different, but keeping in tone with the psychosexual aspects of the original. I started by pushing past the androgyny into something distinctly feminine. I ditched the black leather for muscle tissue to better keep consistent with the Frank/Julia resurrection effects. I also decided that the cenobites should literally look like they have been taken apart and put back together over-and-over again, so Pinhead is just a few hunks of skin nailed to a skeleton. Lastly, I reduced the amount of pins overall, made them bigger, and threaded them with barbed wire to make a "halo" of sorts.

This is rad as hell and I'm sad I'm not in the timeline where Screaming Mad George makes this a reality.

I really like the eyes and jaw/teeth being visible behind the face with the face making it look like a sort of leering grin, it fits with "Pinhead's" enthusiasm in the novella too.

Edit:

lol posers itt questioning the presence of skeletits

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 22, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

Me neither, but I doubt there really exists someone who could tell you the VCR is working without hooking it up. Like, unless you just don't know enough to tell if its not smashed in or really a tape deck.

Like as long as plugs in and powers up your biggest issue is probably if it eats tapes. And only one way of I know of to find that out.

And definitely make sure to give the heads a good cleaning. Can do that easy with rubbing alcohol and q-tips.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bluedeanie posted:

It's a cenobite

I'm shocked more of them don't have tits grafted on

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

And definitely make sure to give the heads a good cleaning. Can do that easy with rubbing alcohol and q-tips.

Uh EXCUSE ME?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Uh EXCUSE ME?

I have plenty of tape cleaner but no cleaning tape

:smug:

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 22, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are we certain that this isn't just an elaborate set-up for the release of a found footage short-film directed by Hollis?

Because that would be amazing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bluedeanie posted:

Fart City didn't correct you but... pretty sure those are lungs or something that just happen to be the same color as her skin. Titty skin doesn't go under the pecs, I mean I'm no expert on anatomy but yeah.

Maybe cenobites just tuck their titty skin under their pecs, who am I to judge?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

My cenobite name would be Titty Skin. My look would just be a patchwork of skin and nipples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

King Vidiot posted:

Fart City didn't correct you but... pretty sure those are lungs or something that just happen to be the same color as her skin. Titty skin doesn't go under the pecs, I mean I'm no expert on anatomy but yeah.

Maybe cenobites just tuck their titty skin under their pecs, who am I to judge?

Yeah I intended for it to be the lungs, but got lazy. It was just my fifteen minute warmup so I didn’t get super detailed. But I also wanted to keep an uncomfortable sexuality in the design, and I thought the visual of undulating lungs as “breasts” would be a cool visual