Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

Demanding confessions is something only a poser can do

I am Matthew Hopkins, Poserfinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To find a poser, one must BE a poser

This is the tragedy of all Poserfinder Generals

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Stare not into the poser abyss, for ye will find...Mike Flanagan staring back at ye!

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

All I want is more Shaw Brothers horror, and I'd trade the last two decades of horror in their entirety for it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Irony.or.Death posted:

All I want is more Shaw Brothers horror, and I'd trade the last two decades of horror in their entirety for it.

Same. In a loving heartbeat.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Meh

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Merry Christmas!

You might have run out of time for your Christmas shopping but you have one day left to make your votes for the 2021 Spook-A-Doodle Horror Bracketology. We'll be starting Jan 1st (life changing events allowing) but votes lock up Dec 26th. So if you haven't gotten them in yet now's your chance, and if you've had second thoughts on something now's your last chance to change it up.

https://forms.gle/a3QguP4rHQLRvS4A9

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
Watching Spontaneous and absolutely loving it. It’s fairly light on the horror (besides the constant gory explosions of bodies), big on the laughs, with a generous dash of romance. I paused halfway thru just to recommend it here since I’ve seen almost nobody talking about it. Definitely ending the year on a high note.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kvlt! posted:

Confess posers! Confess your sins and embrace the open arms of Rob Zombie! Embrace horror salvation!

Lords of Salem is the only Rombie movie that doesn’t suck poo poo.

*closes eyes, spreads arms in a Christ pose, throws himself into the fire while Freebird plays*

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Confess posers! Confess your sins and embrace the open arms of Rob Zombie! Embrace horror salvation!

I don’t really care for Scream or the Scream franchise and Ghostface looks like a blousy little twerp.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kvlt! posted:

Horror's obsession with reliving the 80s is holding the genre back

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BrendianaJones posted:

This is the only confession that's unforgivable.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

BrendianaJones posted:

I get this. I only started watching horror movies with the challenges so I have no real nostalgia for earlier eras of horror.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Horror these days don’t do gore or goop like 80’s movies.

I want gore and goop.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I want gore and goop.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My horror sin: I haven't seen every horror movie

Yet

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I want gore and goop.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Freaky was so fun. I was totally ready to skip it but it was exactly what I needed last night.

Hope you're having a great Christmas/holiday, horror thread. 2020 was a bad year for just about everything but chatting spook-a-doodles with the only non-toxic horror community on the internet made it a little better.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kvlt! posted:

Horror is my favorite genre but I simultaneously think it's about 95% bad to just okay movies

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ehud posted:

Horror is my favorite genre but I simultaneously think it's about 95% bad to just okay movies

How is that different than any other genre

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

david_a posted:

How is that different than any other genre

It’s a better ratio than most other genres imo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

It’s a better ratio than most other genres imo

I think it's more that bad horror is still watchable. Like, a lovely horror movie can still be entertaining, but a lovely comedy is just a chore

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

BrendianaJones posted:

Similarly, I wouldn't be particularly sad if people stopped making movies that were meta commentaries about horror movies or played around with genre conventions or subverted expectations or any of that.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah sometimes I just want a ghost to scare/kill some people.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah sometimes I just want a ghost to scare/kill some people.

You can make movies that aren't just rehashing what the director likes about 80s horror and still have them be dumb and fun

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just want someone to make a straight Stuart Gordon-like goopy, gory movie with blood and practical creature effects, or a Return of the Living Dead punk rock horror movie that isn't meta or trying too hard to be "edgy" and is just naturally, effortlessly cool. Like, it doesn't try to be "so bad it's good", and it's just good. Why don't we get a modern day Chopping Mall, or Night of the Creeps? And not remakes of either of those, original concepts that are that creative and insane, where people's heads explode.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I just want someone to make a straight Stuart Gordon-like goopy, gory movie with blood and practical creature effects, or a Return of the Living Dead punk rock horror movie that isn't meta or trying too hard to be "edgy" and is just naturally, effortlessly cool. Like, it doesn't try to be "so bad it's good", and it's just good. Why don't we get a modern day Chopping Mall, or Night of the Creeps? And not remakes of either of those, original concepts that are that creative and insane, where people's heads explode.

Haven't you heard, it's all about high concept art house horror now! :colbert:

Seriously though the return of effortpost horror is a welcome development but can't we have steak and goopy hamburgers at the same time?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

have you seen
https://letterboxd.com/film/the-ranger/?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Retro Futurist posted:

I think it's more that bad horror is still watchable. Like, a lovely horror movie can still be entertaining, but a lovely comedy is just a chore

Scifi is like this too, mostly because even bad scifi is often based on a halfway clever high-concept premise. Bad fantasy usually gets a pass for the same reason, especially dark fantasy.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I think horror seems more accessible for first time/bad film makers, take the Killjoy series for example.

You don’t really need a plot beyond “monster/monstrous person pursues protagonist(s)”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That is true. It annoys me with my friends sometimes. A lot of them just do horror because it’s easy.

I make horror because it’s fuckin hard.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Got Twin Peaks The Return on bluray for Xmas and am gonna start it soon... should I rewatch any of the older seasons and/or Fire Walk With Me first? I’ve no interest in doing a full rewatch (too long and plus I’ve seen S1 like 5 times), but I’m thinking maybe the last couple episodes of S2 and then FWWM might be a good refresher.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

gey muckle mowser posted:

Got Twin Peaks The Return on bluray for Xmas and am gonna start it soon... should I rewatch any of the older seasons and/or Fire Walk With Me first? I’ve no interest in doing a full rewatch (too long and plus I’ve seen S1 like 5 times), but I’m thinking maybe the last couple episodes of S2 and then FWWM might be a good refresher.

Your plan is good

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'd say rewatch all the Lynch directed episodes and FWWM, but your plan works too.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Sweet, thanks! Can’t wait to finally dig into this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bracketology II is right around the corner! The nominations have been made! The votes have been cast! Nothing left but to watch movies together! We have a bracket!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950323
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzRuxycZQQAkq1VjkgDyqTpmhrN_uVRSyk5d4D0I7Ig/edit?usp=sharing

Tokyo Conference / Doubles Conference

Itallian Conference / American Slasher Conference

We've got some Play In Rounds to start off.

January 1st - 7th:
Italy #15 Seed: Mary Lambert vs. Ruggero Deodato vs. STAC Goat's Radio Silence (Joe Swanberg, Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Glenn McQuaid, Tyler Gillett, Justin Martinez, and Chad Villella)

Jan 8th - 14th
Tokyo #16 Seed: Franchescanado’s Team Vulgær (Gaspar Noe & Lars Von Trier) vs. Charles Band vs. married but discreet’s Top Giallo Schmorgasboard (Aldo Lado, Duccio Tessari, & Giulio Questi)
Doubles #16 Seed: Tarnop's Predation (Jonathan Glazer, Tomas Alfredson, David Robert Mitchell, Michael Powell, Gerald Kargl, and Alice Lowe) vs. married but discreet's Giallo B Team (Emilio Miraglia & Massimo Dallamano) vs. M. Night Shyamalan

Jan 15th - 21st
Italy #16 Seed: TrixRabbi's Andrzej Żuławski & Other Poles (Jerzy Kawalerowicz) vs. Debbie Does Dagon's Silent Scream (FW Murnau, Robert Wiene, & Teinosuke Kinugasa) vs. STAC Goat's In Russia Doodle Spook You (Egor Abramenko, Georgiy Kropachyov, Konstantin Ershov, & Svyatoslav Podgaevsky)
American Slasher #16 Seed: STAC Goat's Block Party (Joe Cornish, Oz Rodriguez, Ernest R. Dickerson, & Austin Vesely) vs. Tarnop's Lost & Found (Erik Kristopher Myers, Elliot Goldner, Phil Guidry, Simon Herbert, and David Whelan, Zachary Donohue, Joel Anderson, & Christopher MacBride) vs. Steven Spielberg

Jan 22nd - 28th
Field of 64 Begins

This thing is gonna take us all the way into September. The first round isn't even gonna end until May! So check out the thread, bookmark it, you might get introduced to some new movies or join a friendly group stream one night.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950323

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 27, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yo anyone sleeping on Horrified should grab it! It's so much fun. It's an incredibly lovingly crafted Universal Horror game. The premise is that you are in a vague European village trying to stop the Classic Universal Monsters (Dracula, Monster and his Bride, Wolfman, Creature, Mummy, and the Invisible Man). You can switch out which monsters you play with, and the gameplay is pretty unique for each while all relying on similar mechanics. With the Creature, you're trying to navigate a boat through the lagoon whereas with the Invisible Man you're trying to collect evidence for the police to prove his existence. If you have played Camp Grizzly or House on the Hill, it's spiritually very similar to those, but A LOT more streamlined. It hits a nice sweet spot of requiring strategy without being obtuse. My wife is a complex board game nut (Think 7 Wonders and Settlers) while my parents are more classic games people, and they all adore it.

All the player characters are vague archetypes, but it does include villagers you're encouraged to protect. All the villagers are characters from the movies!

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

The slasher genre desperately needed something like Black Christmas (2019) to be lifted up on release but ended up being let down by the perfect storm of horror fan neck-beard haters who could cry about it for being a remake, an overtly political film (+made so close to Get Out) and being ewwww PG-13 for young women to see it. I cannot wrap my head around another Scream movie being made in a world where the slasher genre is dead and anything that tries to move into the 21st century is relentlessly review bombed. When was the last culturally relevant slasher - or - one that was for people who weren't trying to relive the loving 1980s? I mean BC 2019 has some issues and I'd LOVE an Unrated cut but gently caress me is the internet full of people whining about this fantastic little film.

E:

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yo anyone sleeping on Horrified should grab it! It's so much fun. It's an incredibly lovingly crafted Universal Horror game. The premise is that you are in a vague European village trying to stop the Classic Universal Monsters (Dracula, Monster and his Bride, Wolfman, Creature, Mummy, and the Invisible Man). You can switch out which monsters you play with, and the gameplay is pretty unique for each while all relying on similar mechanics. With the Creature, you're trying to navigate a boat through the lagoon whereas with the Invisible Man you're trying to collect evidence for the police to prove his existence. If you have played Camp Grizzly or House on the Hill, it's spiritually very similar to those, but A LOT more streamlined. It hits a nice sweet spot of requiring strategy without being obtuse. My wife is a complex board game nut (Think 7 Wonders and Settlers) while my parents are more classic games people, and they all adore it.

All the player characters are vague archetypes, but it does include villagers you're encouraged to protect. All the villagers are characters from the movies!

You can play this on Tabletop Simulator on Steam (which is always on sale for around £7), find it in the Workshop for free! I liked it but when it came to buying an actual board game I got Jaws instead (which is also on TTS for free, it's kinda hard finding other players IRL in 2020).

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BisonDollah posted:

The slasher genre desperately needed something like Black Christmas (2019) to be lifted up on release but ended up being let down by the perfect storm of horror fan neck-beard haters who could cry about it for being a remake, an overtly political film (+made so close to Get Out) and being ewwww PG-13 for young women to see it. I cannot wrap my head around another Scream movie being made in a world where the slasher genre is dead and anything that tries to move into the 21st century is relentlessly review bombed. When was the last culturally relevant slasher - or - one that was for people who weren't trying to relive the loving 1980s? I mean BC 2019 has some issues and I'd LOVE an Unrated cut but gently caress me is the internet full of people whining about this fantastic little film.

thoughts on Halloween 2018?

I thought Black Christmas was fine, fantastic might be stretching it a bit for me