Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

alf_pogs posted:

thoughts on Halloween 2018?

I thought Black Christmas was fine, fantastic might be stretching it a bit for me

Halloween 2018 did a decent job. It's cool to see old rear end Laurie Strode for fans of the series. I'd argue it's quite an irrelevant, yet entertaining, film. The comedy approach worked as a bit of a crutch and the same for the Childs Play remake which I also found watchable enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

this news bit kinda came and went

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2020/12/zack-snyder-announces-that-filming-has-wrapped-on-army-of-the-dead-the-prequel/

the zombie action genre is the only thing Snyder has gotten right. lets hope he keeps that going.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the 2004 DotD is a great movie im excited to see what he does

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
I don't have a neck beard figuratively or literally, I just thought BC2019 was too forgettable to stand on its own and too toothless to feel like it added anything to the Black Christmas name :shrug: it was fine I just don't see it as a movie that needs to be heralded or elevated for any reason

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love Snyder's Dawn of the Dead but I have my concerns about this thing where he has an unreleased film, has already filmed a prequel for it, and has a deal for an animated spinoff of it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

STAC Goat posted:

I love Snyder's Dawn of the Dead but I have my concerns about this thing where he has an unreleased film, has already filmed a prequel for it, and has a deal for an animated spinoff of it.

that's also just the state of media in 2020. you get a director with a name and a built in fanbase and give them money and advertising because you know at the end of the day people will watch anything. that's not a good or bad thing and not a condemnation of Snyder, it just is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

fwiw i dont think he directed the prequel

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

It's a Netflix thing apparently, I'd guess that prequel is like 29 min long

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

dorium posted:

that's also just the state of media in 2020. you get a director with a name and a built in fanbase and give them money and advertising because you know at the end of the day people will watch anything. that's not a good or bad thing and not a condemnation of Snyder, it just is.

I didn't mean it as a shot at Snyder. It just strikes me as too much and since Snyder kind of feels like a guy who has trouble self editing it makes me wonder.

Then again the other way to look at it would be that maybe he's slicing up the ideas in different portions and Army of the Dead will be a focused, restrained story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:siren::spooky::siren:

Hey spook-a-doodles, I know it's a bit last minute, but I'm going to be doing another January Horror Essentials thread in a few days. You know, that thing? I wasn't up to it last year, but I thought it was a fun experience and I have a new format in mind. So I'd appreciate if any of you could send me a list of horror movies you consider classics that you've yet to watch and weren't on the list in 2019.This'll help me calibrate the lineup of films. If you're not sure what to count as a classic, you can always check this top 1000 list.

Sending me a list/letterboxd isn't a requirement for participating or anything, so don't stress out about it.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 29, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can honestly say your first Essentials Thread is one of the key things that really expanded my bubble of horror films and made me feel like more of this community. Like I spent half that thread miscalling things "giallo" films like some baby giraffe trying to stand up.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BisonDollah posted:

You can play this on Tabletop Simulator on Steam (which is always on sale for around £7), find it in the Workshop for free! I liked it but when it came to buying an actual board game I got Jaws instead (which is also on TTS for free, it's kinda hard finding other players IRL in 2020).
Nice, my wife will try it with her family as they use TTS often.

We moved in with my folks because having a baby during pandemic would have been hard, so it's nice to have a game to share with them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

STAC Goat posted:

I can honestly say your first Essentials Thread is one of the key things that really expanded my bubble of horror films and made me feel like more of this community. Like I spent half that thread miscalling things "giallo" films like some baby giraffe trying to stand up.

That's exactly why I made that thread. Horror is a great popcorn genre that you can casually enjoy but it's worth diving into the influential watershed stuff, not only because they're very good, but because it teaches you about the genre, where it came from, where it got its language, and in some cases what it's capable of being beyond the narrow conception one might have of it from just watching a couple slashers and haunted house films. Doing this "homework" with fellow horror goons just makes it all the more fun.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I am the only person I've ever met that hated the Snyder Dawn of the Dead (although I thought the opening sequence of the world going to hell was pretty good).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

I am the only person I've ever met that hated the Snyder Dawn of the Dead (although I thought the opening sequence of the world going to hell was pretty good).

I'm with you - the first 1/3 or so of it is one of the best zombie films out there, but once they're actually in the mall it gets boring pretty quick. And the zombaby lmao

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I think I still love Snyder’s Dawn but I also was 14 when I would watch it a bunch and 14 year old me is going to way more into Richard Cheese and edgelord stuff.

But I should rewatch it, that opening is still going to be incredible and there are some really fun characters I still remember. I also remember the zombies being pretty legitimately scary.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I'm with you - the first 1/3 or so of it is one of the best zombie films out there, but once they're actually in the mall it gets boring pretty quick. And the zombaby lmao

WeaponX posted:

But I should rewatch it, that opening is still going to be incredible and there are some really fun characters I still remember. I also remember the zombies being pretty legitimately scary.

Yea my feeling when I rewatched it a few years ago was that the opening is still very strong but that it falls apart after that. And of course by comparison Romero's doesn't do that at all, the mall scenes in the original are some of the best stuff in the movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The only thing I dislike about DotD 04 is the oversaturated color grading. Otherwise the movie owns.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I will however forever love that part in that movie where they build an elaborate murder-bus with metal bars and spikes and slots to run chainsaws through and almost immediately gently caress it up, accidentally eviscerating one of the survivors with a chainsaw, and then crashing the bus. Maybe Snyder just understands how stupid humanity is better than all of us.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 28, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The Richard Cheese cover of "Down with the Sickness" has stayed a staple of my Halloween playlists. I don't care who knows it. :colbert:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nothing in the Snyder movie is as dumb as the way the SWAT guy gets bit in the original.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That Dawn remake owns only because they had the best advertising campaign to this day, which was just airing the opening sequence of the movie on USA Network one evening. My sister taped it and we rewatched it repeatedly until the movie came out. My mom even arranged to take me, my siblings and my friends to go and see it when it came out. What a good time.

https://www.today.com/popculture/usa-network-preview-dawn-dead-wbna4482977

More movies should adopt this.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

The only thing I dislike about DotD 04 is the oversaturated color grading. Otherwise the movie owns.

every movie should have Saw levels of film grain. Even childrens movies. GRITTIER.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think Snyder's Dawn is in the same conversation as Romero's. And I totally agree it completely falls apart narratively. I just think its a fun, dumb zombie flick.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The 04 dawn of the dead is my second favorite zombie movie behind 28 Days Later but I don't like zombie movies as a whole, those are pretty much the only 2 I like. I've never seen any of the George Romero ones though. I just haven't sought them out because I'm not a big fan of zombie movies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The 04 dawn of the dead is my second favorite zombie movie behind 28 Days Later but I don't like zombie movies as a whole, those are pretty much the only 2 I like. I've never seen any of the George Romero ones though. I just haven't sought them out because I'm not a big fan of zombie movies.

You should at least check out Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead. They might convert you into a zombie movie fan.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Day is the best of the three

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

:agreed:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

I actually agree with this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

I actually think Day is the one that would "hold up" the best for someone like Renegade who is coming into the Romero films with all of this zombie zeitgeist already established via osmosis and Romero imitators. Day is the one that feels the most unique, the most relevant, and the least like the standard zombie flick you see being made today.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Zombie movies are almost all uniformly boring and terrible but both Dawns kick rear end. RotLD is the only one I’d rank higher.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Day's definitely the most "fun" and well paced. Its the one you can pop on with friends and just have a good time with. Especially if you're into gore.

Dawn's got weird pacing and you just kind of have to fall into the film and its world. Not everything holds up and the characters don't act rationally, but the're not supposed to. Its a film about people losing it and struggling not to give up and you just kind of have to be in it.

Night is one of the best films ever made and I'll hear no different.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Dawn and Day are both excellent but

STAC Goat posted:

Night is one of the best films ever made and I'll hear no different.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MacheteZombie posted:

This man speaks the truth

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Watching The Dead Dont Die. Having only seen Coffee and Cigarettes by Jarmusch before (and it was like 15 years ago), is this guy like completely up his own rear end, or what?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gejimayu posted:

Watching The Dead Dont Die. Having only seen Coffee and Cigarettes by Jarmusch before (and it was like 15 years ago), is this guy like completely up his own rear end, or what?

Yes

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Dawn of the Dead original for me is probably one of the greatest horror movie ever made and probably the horror movie I've rewatched the most.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gejimayu posted:

Dead Don't Die is really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gejimayu posted:

Yes, but he's made good movies too. I wrote him off since Coffee and Cigarettes was the first of his I saw too, and I thought it was kind of weak. Down by Law and Stranger Than Paradise are good, and I heard Dead Man is good too.

I've heard nothing but bad things about The Dead Don't Die though. I think he just kinda peaked in the late 80s :shrug: