Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Burkion posted:

That is very mean to Behind the Mask

Behind the Mask is absolutely the better movie, but I enjoyed Butterfly Kisses for what it was too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gary the Llama posted:

I wasn’t even planning on watching a movie tonight but ended up watching Dario Argento’s Opera tonight after seeing it mentioned on Twitter with a screen grab that caught my eye.

Holy drat, what a loving movie! Suspiria, is of course a masterpiece, and Phenomena is just batshit weird, but I still love it. That was about as far as my Argento knowledge went outside of Demons, which he only wrote. But Opera is on another level. A film that is on fire from beginning to end and I just want to shout about it from the rooftops. I loving loved it!

Also, I started the day watching The New York Ripper. (Soooo sleazy!) I think I’ve made a mistake by sleeping on Italian cinema for so long, but I guess it’s time to change that! I would love to hear some recommendations.

If you love Suspiria and Opera, which are my two favorites, then the other three obvious Argento choices are Tenebre, Deep Red (uncut version) and The Bird With The Crystal Plumage. I also love Inferno, but it's incredibly batshit and indulgent, which leads to a very loose narrative, which can turn people off. Tenebre has the best theme song ever.

For more Fulci, check out The Beyond and The House By The Cemetary.

Another crazy Italian film is Cemetery Man.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Starman, it's good

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Gary the Llama posted:

I wasn’t even planning on watching a movie tonight but ended up watching Dario Argento’s Opera tonight after seeing it mentioned on Twitter with a screen grab that caught my eye.

Holy drat, what a loving movie! Suspiria, is of course a masterpiece, and Phenomena is just batshit weird, but I still love it. That was about as far as my Argento knowledge went outside of Demons, which he only wrote. But Opera is on another level. A film that is on fire from beginning to end and I just want to shout about it from the rooftops. I loving loved it!

Also, I started the day watching The New York Ripper. (Soooo sleazy!) I think I’ve made a mistake by sleeping on Italian cinema for so long, but I guess it’s time to change that! I would love to hear some recommendations.

echoing The Beyond, Deep Red, Cemetery Man and Tenebrae. Watching some Mario Bava is also a good idea (esp Blood & Black Lace, Black Sunday, and Kill Baby, Kill)

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Origami Dali posted:

echoing The Beyond, Deep Red, Cemetery Man and Tenebrae. Watching some Mario Bava is also a good idea (esp Blood & Black Lace, Black Sunday, and Kill Baby, Kill)

Blood and Black Lace is phenomenal.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Gary the Llama posted:

The New York Ripper whips so much rear end. I have a few italian horror posters in my office, and that's one of them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Franchescanado posted:

I also love Inferno, but it's incredibly batshit and indulgent, which leads to a very loose narrative, which can turn people off.

When I watched Inferno for the first time I really benefitted from someone having told me that the protagonist changes every 20 minutes. I feel like it would have been annoying or confusing if I'd gone in expecting a more traditional structure.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I watched the Severin documentary "Tales of the Uncanny" the other day and thought it was pretty fun. I'm a big fan of horror anthologies and it was a pretty good survey of the format. Due to the pandemic they got a lot of interviews with folks that may not have done it otherwise. Many are over Zoom and the quality isn't awesome, but there are people like Roger Corman, Tom Savini, Joe Dante, Richard Stanley, Larry Fessenden, Mick Garris, Ernest Dickerson, and a ton of others. Kim Newman is interviewed but apparently he doesn't own a webcam and it sounds like his is talking over a child's walkie talkie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions that were already thrown out there like Bava, Fulci, and Soavi.

For someone who loved Opera though, I think Tenebre is really the best recommendation. Opera and Tenebre feel like Argento was truly at the height of his giallo making ability, he was able to tone down the flashy visuals somewhat, so that the films are a bit more grounded, and crank up the intensity to 11 in a way that you don't get with the Three Mothers films.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gary the Llama posted:

Just to add a few more recs, be sure to check out some Sergio Martino. Specifically Torso, The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh, and Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key. Three of the best giallos out there.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, if you like sleaze, Torso is def up there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure why but I just don't respond to Martino's films. Martino vs. Soavi often comes up in an Italian Horror Mount Rushmore discussion(Argento, Bava, and Fulci are the obvious ones) and I've always argued for Soavi because I just don't see what people love about Martino.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key

Old school Spook-a-doodles will remember that this was the horror thread title for the longest time*.

*The actual longest, I think, was the castration title, and I think the Your Vice title was 2nd longest.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not sure why but I just don't respond to Martino's films. Martino vs. Soavi often comes up in an Italian Horror Mount Rushmore discussion(Argento, Bava, and Fulci are the obvious ones) and I've always argued for Soavi because I just don't see what people love about Martino.

Two words: Edwige Fenech

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The only Soavi film I've seen is Cemetery Man, and it is in fact awesome.

Martino's films just seem a step more technically competent than most of his contemporaries. And they usually do more for me from a story and character standpoint.

Franchescanado posted:

Two words: Edwige Fenech

This too.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

Old school Spook-a-doodles will remember that this was the horror thread title for the longest time*.

I didn't get the thread title's reference for the longest time. One day perusing Letterboxd I stumbled across a giallo list and it all clicked.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Soavi's Aquarius is a lot of fun. The Church is on a whole other level though. It alone puts him on the Italian horror Rushmore for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think Your Vice is really interesting because of how it layers it's source materials into a unique experience, but also how it's completely unflinching in it's portrayal of the characters. There is zero pretense that Oliviero is anything but an rear end in a top hat, and there's a lot of time spent with Irena and Floriana where the viewer just wants them to get the gently caress away from that monster. Can make for a conflicting experience if the viewer is looking for someone relateable or enjoyable!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Martino was more prolific, and in a wide range of genres. He cranked out a ton of movies in the 70's and 80's. Soavi's film career is more about a relatively short run where he made three masterpiece or near-masterpiece level films, and then unfortunately he had to step away from filmmaking due to a family issue.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Have you seen Martino's The Suspicious Death of a Minor? It's more of a poliziottescho with heavy rear end giallo leanings, some very Argento flavourings in the murders and a soundtrack that in parts could have been a Goblin B-side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtl1yedhC-8

also hell yeah to last page's Opera discoverer, it's probably my favourite Argento.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 20, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I also watched Don’t Go In The House yesterday and thought it was pretty good. What a weird serial killer feature to exclusively kill by fire.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Gary the Llama posted:

I'll throw out two giallo recs I've watched recently and really enjoyed that aren't by any of the "big" directors: The Red Queen Kills Seven Times and The Fifth Cord

Basebf555 posted:

You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions that were already thrown out there like Bava, Fulci, and Soavi.

For someone who loved Opera though, I think Tenebre is really the best recommendation. Opera and Tenebre feel like Argento was truly at the height of his giallo making ability, he was able to tone down the flashy visuals somewhat, so that the films are a bit more grounded, and crank up the intensity to 11 in a way that you don't get with the Three Mothers films.

The long crane shot near the beginning of Tenebre is masterful

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'll throw out two giallo recs I've watched recently and really enjoyed that aren't by any of the "big" directors: The Red Queen Kills Seven Times and The Fifth Cord

Yesss, I haven't had a new giallo recommendation in a while, stoked to watch Fifth Cord.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I hadn't heard much good about Peele's Twilight Zone but I watched through it and honestly it seems pretty solid to me. There are definitely some misses but I have found most of it to be pretty good, especially in the 2nd season although I'm not done with it yet.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

fr0id posted:

So I’m trying to remember this horror movie I watched a while back. It’s anthology. Very canadian. Frame story is a woman in an asylum. First segment is this guy who refers to himself as a cocksmith dating this woman who turns out to be in a cult and sacrifices him. Another segment has like this haunted carnival barker.

Anyone know what I’m talking about?

Edit: It’s Night Terror (1989), thanks to Arivia!

drat, I could have also answered this.

My friend ended up with a VHS copy of this, like, well over a decade ago. I think it was the first movie we watched to start our weekly horror night that lasted roughly 5 years. It's weird, because there is nearly no information about this film online, or at least when I last checked, and only a few short clips on YouTube.

My favourite segment is the guy who gets killed by the teddy bear come to life, although my memory might be slightly off on these details.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I hadn't heard much good about Peele's Twilight Zone but I watched through it and honestly it seems pretty solid to me. There are definitely some misses but I have found most of it to be pretty good, especially in the 2nd season although I'm not done with it yet.

The first ep (the comedian) was a dreadful starting place as you get the twist very quickly, but the episode dragged it out for another half hour, and I haven’t wanted to go back since.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Twin Cinema posted:

drat, I could have also answered this.

My friend ended up with a VHS copy of this, like, well over a decade ago. I think it was the first movie we watched to start our weekly horror night that lasted roughly 5 years. It's weird, because there is nearly no information about this film online, or at least when I last checked, and only a few short clips on YouTube.

My favourite segment is the guy who gets killed by the teddy bear come to life, although my memory might be slightly off on these details.

Yeah, I found it in a book of horror movie reviews by searching google for "cocksmith horror" while fr0id fed details on the Discord. Hard to find!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So, Apostle was a mess, huh?

There's a lot to like in there, but it suffers from far too much self-indulgence, has some serious pacing and structure problems, the characters were paper thin, and the film focuses on the wrong things half the time. I left the movie having no idea what the practices of the religion were, how devout the followers were, never got any sense of their suffering, etc. It felt like a film that went into production with a lot of ideas but the first draft of a script.

Atmosphere, production design, and art direction were terrific. You could really see the budget on screen. But the middle third of the movie was a real chore.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

There's a lot to like in there, but it suffers from far too much self-indulgence, has some serious pacing and structure problems, the characters were paper thin, and the film focuses on the wrong things half the time. I left the movie having no idea what the practices of the religion were, how devout the followers were, never got any sense of their suffering, etc. It felt like a film that went into production with a lot of ideas but the first draft of a script.

Atmosphere, production design, and art direction were terrific. You could really see the budget on screen. But the middle third of the movie was a real chore.

AKA every Netflix production when they get a big name and let them do whatever they want.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

feedmyleg posted:

Yep. A bloated, exhausting mess.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the first part when we see the weird swamp witch in Apostle I genuinely found very scary. not a great movie, though.

Macon Blair is the only director to evade the Netflix curse.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Macon Blair is the only director to evade the Netflix curse.

Probably helped that it was his debut as a director. He didn't fall into the "I'm finally free to do whatever the hell I want!" trap because he'd never directed anything before.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Yo crawl was a lot of fun

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved Crawl. I'm looking forward to watching it the first wet, muggy, storm day of the summer.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

The New York Ripper whips so much rear end. I have a few italian horror posters in my office, and that's one of them.

Where did you get the frames and do you like them? I occasionally go browsing on amazon to pick some up for my posters, but the process is exhausting and annoying for semi-niche easy to gently caress up products like this.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Irony.or.Death posted:

Where did you get the frames and do you like them? I occasionally go browsing on amazon to pick some up for my posters, but the process is exhausting and annoying for semi-niche easy to gently caress up products like this.

I found a really good Etsy store based in Utah that does great frame work.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/signedandnumbered

I’ve ordered about 4 frames and have been happy with the quality of them all. They’ll help you out with sizing over messages and they make it really easy. Also fairly inexpensive considering they’re building and cutting the mats on their own.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Apostle is pretty good.

Though you could probably cut at least 20 minutes without losing much.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I know it's not really considered horror, but thinking about checking out Starman. Any thoughts on it?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I know it's not really considered horror, but thinking about checking out Starman. Any thoughts on it?

Iron Crowned posted:

Starman, it's good

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I just watched this two nights ago for the first time. It's definitely not a horror movie, but I really enjoyed it. It's more of a road trip drama with an alien and the government in tow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Starman and Christine are probably the two films that I try to throw out most often when people talk Carpenter because they just get completely overshadowed by the other stuff.