Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
drat, Hunter Hunter rules. Go in blind.

edit: drat straight I snipe that page with that endorsement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

yeah thats a great one kinda flew under the radar but im glad i caught it interesting story some great performances and the ending is balls to the wall

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Yep, I watched it the other night and I’m glad I went in basically blind. Good good poo poo

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I'm learning through small sample size that a disturbingly large number of people read the entire plots of movies/TV before watching and I'm not sure there is a solution to a crisis of this magnitude.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s so common it’s not even funny. I don’t get it.

That article about spoilers making movies better suck. The surprise is a part of the experience

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the only site my partner visits before watching a movie is "does the dog die"

but yeah going in blind is heaps better. i like it more when i only vaguely know the premise of a movie, maybe the lead actor and director

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

the only site my partner visits before watching a movie is "does the dog die"

but yeah going in blind is heaps better. i like it more when i only vaguely know the premise of a movie, maybe the lead actor and director

I need one sentence with maximum 8 words, a writer, a director, and a title.

I stopped watching trailers 10 years ago and every movie instantly got better

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Empty Man is quite good. One of those you could order a pizza and watch it on a saturday night sorta movies.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

married but discreet posted:

drat, Hunter Hunter rules. Go in blind.

edit: drat straight I snipe that page with that endorsement

Took your recommendation and :stonk:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: Week 13 Bracketology Streams! :spooky:
:rip: Only on the CineD Discord :rip:

All times are in EST and may not reflect reality.

Saturday, March 27th

1900 Jennifer's Body (Unrated)
2055 Perfect Blue

Monday, March 29th

1900 Scouts Guide to the Apocalypse
2045 Beneath Still Waters

Content Warnings

Jennifer's Body (2009)
Contains very strong language, bloody horror, sex references and drug use

Perfect Blue (1997)
Animated sequences of violence and nudity, and for brief language

Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse (2015)
Strong bloody violence, gore, sex references, nudity, strong language

Beneath Still Waters (2005)
Strong horror violence and gore, sexual content, nudity and some language

:blastu: Sunday Chill Stream :blastu:
Arnold Edition

All times are in EST, and may not reflect reality.

0900 Pumping Iron
1035 Commando
1215 Total Recall
1420 Conan the Barbarian
1640 Kindgergarten Cop
1840 The Terminator
2035 Terminator 2 Judgement Day (Extended)
2320 The Running Man

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

the ending is balls to the wall

Literally!

My only criticism of Hunter2 is that I wanted it to connect back with the wolf a little more, and that I would like a little more development for the daughter character. Other than that it rocks.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

I have heard good things about Come True. A young woman joins a sleep study and creepy poo poo happens. I haven't actually watched it yet but it's in the pile.

Enjoyed this until the ending where it turns out you've been watching It Was All A Dream: The Movie, which is a lot less interesting than the dream recording stuff. Good until then though. Liked the look of the tech, very Brandon Cronenberg, even though it didn't make an awful lot of sense that the science guys were using janky CRTs even though everyone had modern smartphones and laptops. But then it doesn't matter because IT WAS ALL IN HER MIND WOOOO

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 26, 2021

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Flavius Aetass posted:

so I'm about an hour into this and i literally just screamed and threw my phone lol

:yeshaha:

I didn't lurk this thread back then so I don't know how it was received, but I loved it. Glad you liked it too!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Anyone else watch Hunter Hunter from start to finish and never realize that the father is Devon Sawa?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Anyone else watch Hunter Hunter from start to finish and never realize that the father is Devon Sawa?

Took me until more than halfway through the movie. I knew he was in it and kept wondering when he was gonna show up, eventually it clicked.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yea Devon Sawa is old now. weird.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I know there are 3 From Hell fans in the thread, but I just rewatched the last scene of The Devil’s Rejects and god drat it’s such a perfect ending. Just gonna keep that in my head as my preferred end of the Firefly story.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

dorium posted:

Yea Devon Sawa is old now. weird.

nooo, my hunky boys!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Lumbermouth posted:

I know there are 3 From Hell fans in the thread, but I just rewatched the last scene of The Devil’s Rejects and god drat it’s such a perfect ending. Just gonna keep that in my head as my preferred end of the Firefly story.

I agree. I bought 3 From Hell sight unseen and that will be one I always look at and regret actually buying instead of renting.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lumbermouth posted:

:agreed:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I actually saw 3 From Hell in theaters during the limited run, and there was hardly even anybody there. This was like night one or two. I thought it was fine! Like it fit somewhere between House and Rejects, maybe just a little better than House and nowhere near Rejects. Probably would've been better if Sid Haig wasn't dying at the time, but sadly that couldn't be helped.

Also appropriate conversation for page 1134.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

I actually saw 3 From Hell in theaters during the limited run, and there was hardly even anybody there. This was like night one or two. I thought it was fine! Like it fit somewhere between House and Rejects, maybe just a little better than House and nowhere near Rejects. Probably would've been better if Sid Haig wasn't dying at the time, but sadly that couldn't be helped.

Also appropriate conversation for page 1134.

I saw it the first night and the theater was like half full, which I thought was pretty good for a relatively niche film on a Tuesday night or whenever it was

I liked it a lot, it doesn't live up to The Devil's Rejects but that's a very high bar.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

3 From Hell has the bad luck of being almost perfect, as opposed to The Devil's Rejects, which is actually perfect.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
30 Coins is a very solid satanic horror series. This season finale is neat as hell

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

@DDD do you have the list of movies you reccomended me a while back? I cant find it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I found it

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I haven't forgotten about you, I promise! This weekend has just been crazy. I think one difficult thing for me in generating recommendations is that so many films that attempt to tackle the lives and issues of politically disenfranchised groups usually do a terrible job, imho. There are a lot of deeply transphobic films that I would still recommend, just with a few asterisks, but I don't really feel comfortable doing the same for groups that I'm not a part of. Even some of the better films tend to fall on negative tropes, especially whilst attempting to keep things within horror, predatory lesbians et cetera, or are perhaps so obvious that you've definitely already seen them. I'll try and think of a few good deep cuts for you, but for now, here are a few good obvious starting places:

Sorry to Bother You (2018)
Knife+Heart (2018)
Good Manners (2017)
Symptoms (1974)
Bit (2019)
Ms .45 (1981)
Imprint (2006)
Images (1972)
Stanger by the Lake (2013)
Freeway II: Confessions of a Trickbaby (1999)
Attack the Block (2011)
Get Out (2017)
The First Purge (2018)
His House (2020)
Blood Quantum (2019)
The Lighthouse (2019)
Black Swan (2010)
The VVitch (2015)

And it's not horror, but everyone needs to see Paris is Burning (1990)

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I'm learning through small sample size that a disturbingly large number of people read the entire plots of movies/TV before watching and I'm not sure there is a solution to a crisis of this magnitude.

I'm married to one of them so if you get a lead on promising treatments please let me know immediately. It's the sort of thing I just try really hard not to think about most of the time.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I found it

You the best ty <3

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm married to one of them so if you get a lead on promising treatments please let me know immediately. It's the sort of thing I just try really hard not to think about most of the time.

I had a roommate that would do that and if you didn’t stop him he’d tell you the ending of whatever you were watching. Also he was a big fan of 24 but he’d fast forward through the tense parts because they made him nervous.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lurdiak posted:

Horror - It's not just for boys anymore!

With women's history month nearing its end, the Scream Stream is going to provide yet another themed streaming night Friday, starting at 6 PM EST. We'll be watching 3 spooky movies directed by women, of which there are sadly still far too few. We'll be watching

American Psycho

The Babadook

Ravenous

The stream will be at the usual place. Consider joining the discord, and if you want to keep the Scream Stream going, consider becoming a patron.

Note: this stream wasn't the special surprise I hinted at earlier, that is still to come.

The stream starts in 30 minutes! Join us!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah I thought Hunter Hunter was pretty good. Really paced out well. Like a rolling snowball of misery.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

enjoy Ravenous, streamers, that movie is terrific

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

it dont matter posted:

Enjoyed this until the ending where it turns out you've been watching It Was All A Dream: The Movie, which is a lot less interesting than the dream recording stuff. Good until then though. Liked the look of the tech, very Brandon Cronenberg, even though it didn't make an awful lot of sense that the science guys were using janky CRTs even though everyone had modern smartphones and laptops. But then it doesn't matter because IT WAS ALL IN HER MIND WOOOO

Yeah the ending sucked. Probably the laziest thing they could've done?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

MacheteZombie posted:

30 Coins is a very solid satanic horror series. This season finale is neat as hell

I just started watching it and so far it's drat good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

alf_pogs posted:

It was all right. :geno:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oh hello what's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YYnSJF0fcY

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

hell yeah, that looks great

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just watched The Empty Man the other night and it was MUCH better than the Rotten Tomatoes score would imply. It's got some great atmosphere and goes genuinely weird places you don't expect.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Empty Man is a zig zagger. just a weird bunch of ideas and concepts beings thrown around. it really makes it extra surprising this came out of a major studio too. this wasnt some 50 production companies coming together to create this movie and having to sit through 20 minutes of logos before the movie starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

Lurdiak posted:

It was all right. :geno:

I'm sorry I missed it, I remember the soundtrack and gay subtext being really enjoyable.