Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

We tried to watch the new Ghostbusters, but Kate asked me to turn it off after about 10 minutes. I'd heard it was good, not great, and went in expecting to like it. But it was just obnoxious from the word go. "Oh God, my tenure review is coming up, I hope I get tenure so I don't have to be a dirty prole anymore! Do you like me, Authority Figure? Please say you like me. I'm so desperate for you to like me. I have the self-esteem of a goose about to be sucked into a jet engine."

It's a really apt contrast between the Millennial generation and the Reagan generation, with Bill Murray opening the original all like "I'm a hack and a fraud, but who cares, I'm here to get paid and get laid." But it isn't funny.

The characters aren’t just pathetic, the actors are trying so hard to get a laugh like it’s open mic night at the improv and you can smell the desperation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WeaponX posted:

The characters aren’t just pathetic, the actors are trying so hard to get a laugh like it’s open mic night at the improv and you can smell the desperation

It was lack of editing. Like, it's probably fine to have the actors throwing out a hundred ideas and doing extended takes to see what works but you don't need to actually put all of it in the movie.

Ghostbusters(2016) probably is my personal record for how soon I looked at the runtime expecting the movie to be almost over. It was like the 45 minute mark, the neverending improv has compressed time so it felt like twice that amount of time had gone by, and the movie is 2 hours long so I hadn't even reached the halfway point yet!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

It was lack of editing. Like, it's probably fine to have the actors throwing out a hundred ideas and doing extended takes to see what works but you don't need to actually put all of it in the movie.

Yeah they are all people who have been funny in other things to various degrees, it was a just an incredibly poorly constructed comedy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't hate Ghostbusters '16 but it definitely feels like they just let the cast adlib jokes all day and then just kept everything in. There's probably like a scripted movie and then an extra 30 minutes of standup.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I dont like the style of humor in 16. I like the wry, laid back humor of the original, not...that.

Which is a shame because I did appreciate it was just trying to be The Real Ghostbusters otherwise.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

WeaponX posted:

Yeah they are all people who have been funny in other things to various degrees, it was a just an incredibly poorly constructed comedy.

STAC Goat posted:

I don't hate Ghostbusters '16 but it definitely feels like they just let the cast adlib jokes all day and then just kept everything in. There's probably like a scripted movie and then an extra 30 minutes of standup.

Yeah I was excited because I liked the cast but it felt like we were seeing the 10th improv iteration of a bunch of the scenes. So yeah, of course by then someone like Melissa McCarthy is going to have heightened to the point of screaming and it forces everyone else to have to act confused and flummoxed by their scene partner. I think the cast was right but Paul “Apatow but worse” Feig was wrong and is probably always wrong. Also if you don’t want your horror/comedy to flop don’t have a budget of 150 million dollars or whatever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Only good thing about GB'16 is that Kate McKinnon's look is based on Egon from the cartoon, that was fairly clever.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The improv would work better if any of the stars had an actual character in the script to play with. McCarthy and Wiig’s character were ???? Goofy academics? McKinnon’s character was weird scientist? Leslie Jones and Thor were the only one with characters that you could actually write jokes for but most of the scripted jokes were as bad as the improv so that wasn’t saving much.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Improv is off the devil.

Stick to the script people.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

(Atroz/Atrocious)

Kvlt! posted:

I noticed that too when i watched it (well i didnt notice it, my film school attending brother pointed it out to me) and it drove me NUTS

So many little technical things in that movie to get under my skin more than the 'horror'. Who knew a butthole could be so well lit.

I did like the review I read that summed it up in a nutshell for me, in that it tries so hard to be extreme and disgusting that it swings back into absurdity and pretty much everything after 1/2 way through just had me laughing. Then I laughed at the review that tried to pull a Serbian Film to explain why this piece of nonsense that doesn't make a lick of sense at any point is actually a scathing critique of Mexico itself. Yeah, no.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

WeaponX posted:

The improv would work better if any of the stars had an actual character in the script to play with. McCarthy and Wiig’s character were ???? Goofy academics? McKinnon’s character was weird scientist? Leslie Jones and Thor were the only one with characters that you could actually write jokes for but most of the scripted jokes were as bad as the improv so that wasn’t saving much.

Leslie Jones was the only character in that movie who felt like a real person.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Basebf555 posted:

I remember someone who was an extra in ghostbusters saying they shot like 8 hours of improv for a scene that ended up being 2 minutes in the movie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Only good thing about GB'16 is that Kate McKinnon's look is based on Egon from the cartoon, that was fairly clever.

huh, i didnt get that at all, but that redeems like 5% of that movie for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The problem with GB'16 is kind of summed up by the fact that there's like 8 after credit scenes. Its clearly just a film that had a really hard time saying no to a scene or gag. Its like the opposite of a movie that has some deleted scenes the director loved or has an extended edition. GB16 just keeps way too much in and doesn't make even some of the easy cute like... maybe the wonton joke isn't worth like 5 callbacks.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: Week 14 Bracketology Streams! :spooky:
:rip: Only on the CineD Discord :rip:

All times are in EST and may not reflect reality.

Saturday, April 3rd

1900 Mama
2050 Spirited Away

Monday, April 5th

1900 Cursed
2045 Return to... Return to Nuke 'Em High AKA Vol. 2

Content Warnings

Mama (2012)
Contains strong supernatural threat and brief strong violence

Spirited Away (2001)
Mild threat, scary scenes

Cursed (2004)
Contains strong bloody violence and horror

Return to... Return to Nuke 'Em High AKA Vol. 2 (2017)
Contains strong gory horror and sexualised nudity

:spooky: Sunday Chill Stream :spooky:

All times are in EST, and may not reflect reality.

0900 Palindromes
1050 Superman III
1305 Godzilla Vs. Hedorah
1440 The Lathe of Heaven
1630 The White Ribbon
1910 Ready or Not
2055 The Carrier
2240 Triangle
0030 Spookies

Content Warnings

Palindromes
Contains strong language, moderate sex and mature themes.

Superman III
Contains mild violence and language

Godzilla Vs. Hedorah (1998) (1971)
mild threat, violence, language

The Lathe of Heaven
It's fine

The White Ribbon
Contains child abuse references

Ready Or Not (2019)
strong bloody violence, gory images

The Carrier
Check out the MotM thread!

Triangle (2009)
Contains strong violence, horror and language

Spookies (1986)
strong violence, threat

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 2, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

(Atroz/Atrocious)

So many little technical things in that movie to get under my skin more than the 'horror'. Who knew a butthole could be so well lit.

I did like the review I read that summed it up in a nutshell for me, in that it tries so hard to be extreme and disgusting that it swings back into absurdity and pretty much everything after 1/2 way through just had me laughing. Then I laughed at the review that tried to pull a Serbian Film to explain why this piece of nonsense that doesn't make a lick of sense at any point is actually a scathing critique of Mexico itself. Yeah, no.

Yeah this sums up my thoughts on it too. Its not interesting or compelling or scary or even fun-gross. Its just kinda trying too hard.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
And for another post about a movie that isn't horror but is relevant to this thread:

Robot Jox is loving awesome.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Halloween Jack posted:

And for another post about a movie that isn't horror but is relevant to this thread:

is that the one where Hugh Jackman is a robot fighter?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thats real steel, robot jox is from the 80s

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Robot Jox is directed by Stuart Gordon. So that's all you really need to know.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Godzilla Vs. Hedorah (1998)
mild threat, violence, language

Which movie is this? The only Godzilla Vs. Hedorah I know is from 1971. But those movies tend to have at least two different titles, so I'm not sure.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Spatulater bro! posted:

Which movie is this? The only Godzilla Vs. Hedorah I know is from 1971. But those movies tend to have at least two different titles, so I'm not sure.

Good catch! I'm showing the 1971 version, I think I grabbed the wrong ratings info from the BBFC

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The best part of GB 16 is that they do that forced 3D by having the monsters break the "bars" of widescreen. Otherwise its unremarkable really. More movies should do that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

The best part of GB 16 is that they do that forced 3D by having the monsters break the "bars" of widescreen. Otherwise its unremarkable really. More movies should do that.

That one was so bad its shameful. How do you have a Godzilla movie where hes only in it for 5 minutes.

And this is coming from someone who liked King of the Monsters a lot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hollismason posted:

I saw that with the aforementioned Ghostbusters 2016 in IMAX. Not sure if that affect made it to the home version, but I thought it was neat.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i really like that effect bc i cant watch 3D movies so its a nice way for me to experience "3D" without a headache

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Also according to my 7 year old it’s the scariest movie ever made

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Good catch! I'm showing the 1971 version, I think I grabbed the wrong ratings info from the BBFC

Cool. I just watched this one a few days ago. It's... not very good. But it's notable for being one of the strangest entries. It tries to maintain the standard Godzilla trappings while also being hip and psychedelic. That alone makes it worth watching.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Kvlt! posted:

That one was so bad its shameful. How do you have a Godzilla movie where hes only in it for 5 minutes.

And this is coming from someone who liked King of the Monsters a lot.

Are you talking about Godzilla vs Hedorah? IIRC Godzilla is on screen more in that movie than most, if not all, of the other Showa era Godzilla films.

Movie kicks rear end btw, easily one of my favorite Godzilla films.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah Godzilla has tons of screen time in v Hedorah. Unfortunately it's about the worst iteration of him I've seen so far.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I've never seen it, I'm excited to catch it, it was suggested by the ever-wonderful Peacoffee. Most of the films I show now are audience suggestions, so if anyone would like anything played feel free to drop in and make a suggestion :3:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Even the worst Godzilla film* is gonna be a fun time.

*Toho only, of course.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hedorah is pretty great. Easily the weirdest monster Godzilla has ever fought, and he murders bystanders in a surprisingly graphic way. It’s got a theme song, a dance club sequence, a dad who gets melted. All the stuff you need in a godzilla movie

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

a dad who gets melted.

Now I'm interested!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Don't forget the bizarre animated sequences.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only things I liked in the GB movie was Leslie Jones and her "Nope" scene, and Chris Hemsworth being a complete himbo. That was probably, barring dance scenes, his easiest paycheck ever. Probably the funnest as well.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CRAYON posted:

Are you talking about Godzilla vs Hedorah? IIRC Godzilla is on screen more in that movie than most, if not all, of the other Showa era Godzilla films.

Movie kicks rear end btw, easily one of my favorite Godzilla films.

No im talkimg about the Godzilla with Bryan Cranston

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
i thought GB '16 was absolutely fine and enjoyed watching it, and really can't imagine not finding it at worst inoffensive fluff. But it's also not good enough to really get worked up about so every time I see it trashed it's like, "Sorry buddy."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

No im talkimg about the Godzilla with Bryan Cranston

I think what happened is someone mentioned GB 2016 while others were separately taking about Godzilla and you mixed them up.