Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah Willy's Wonderland is pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

I watched Willy's Wonderland over the weekend and man it was dire. I didn't think it could be possible to gently caress up "Nicolas Cage vs animatronic animals" so badly

Worst movie I've seen in a long long time.

Making Nicolas Cage a silent protagonist is maybe the most infuriating choice. The movie also thinks it's stylish, but it's never cohesive to actually be stylish.

I watched it in the best possible setting and found it dreadful.

Some of the animatronic monsters look good, but that's like the only thing it got right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's a meme movie. It's going to make money entirely on its premise.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

It's a meme movie. It's going to make money entirely on its premise.

I wholly believe that was the intention, but there's not a meme-able moment in the film, from my perspective.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I actually liked silent Cage, my biggest issue was how poorly the fights were filmed. The filmmaker loved lens flare too

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I choose to believe that Cage demanded that he get the dance number

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Shocker is not at all what I thought it was going to be, and I was in and out on it a bunch of different times.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Franchescanado posted:

I wholly believe that was the intention, but there's not a meme-able moment in the film, from my perspective.

It's like Sharknado, all you need is the idea and people are sold and won't be talked out of watching it.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Curse of Chucky
Child's Play
Bride of Chucky
Seed of Chucky
Child's Play 2
Remake
Cult of Chucky
Child's Play 3

Curse of Chucky completely blew me away, was a great surprise.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, I couldn't not watch it and I absolutely regret it. The fact that it got made should be funny, but it isn't.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I know we sometimes talk about horror novels in this thread so I have to tell everyone to run, not walk, and go get a copy of Between Two Fires. It's from a few years ago, but a poster here recently discovered it, and brought it to the attention of the fantasy book thread, where it's been getting unanimously high praise.

I just finished it and it's up there with the best horror-fantasy I've ever consumed. There's imagery in it that won't leave my mind for a long while. I would give a kidney to see a movie or TV adaptation.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

I know we sometimes talk about horror novels in this thread so I have to tell everyone to run, not walk, and go get a copy of Between Two Fires. It's from a few years ago, but a poster here recently discovered it, and brought it to the attention of the fantasy book thread, where it's been getting unanimously high praise.

I just finished it and it's up there with the best horror-fantasy I've ever consumed. There's imagery in it that won't leave my mind for a long while. I would give a kidney to see a movie or TV adaptation.

The audiobook is free for Audible Plus members, so I added it to my library. I'll also keep an eye out for physical copies.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Megasabin posted:

my library has a couple books by that title in the system, is it the one by Christopher Buehlman?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I was in the perfect mood for Black Mountain Side today. Really enjoyed it

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
https://twitter.com/samdzimmerman/status/1381626413938270211

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yesssss!!! McPherson Tape!!!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I've got UHDs of the other two coming but I'm excited to watch The McPherson Tape

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I've got UHDs of the other two coming but I'm excited to watch The McPherson Tape

I have it on Blu Ray :smug:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

May 20, bay-beeee

quote:

NEW YORK – April 12, 2021 – Shudder, AMC Networks’ premium streaming service for horror, thriller and the supernatural, announced that PG: PSYCHO GOREMAN will be available exclusively to stream on the platform starting on May 20, 2021. As a Shudder exclusive, the platform will be the only subscription service that will carry the film in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

my library has a couple books by that title in the system, is it the one by Christopher Buehlman?

It is, and it does indeed kick rear end.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Yes, that is the correct one.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

a new study bible! posted:

I choose to believe that Cage demanded that he get the dance number

Going from what I've read around on it, Cage came across the script on a website for worst scripts ever made and he got such a laugh out of it he decided to get it made. Since he insisted on a silent protagonist, I can see him insisting on a dance number.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I like how Saw kills off Jigsaw and the answer for why people keep dying to deathtraps is always 'He had another apprentice' over and over

I like how the end of his each film is mostly just them showing us scenes from previous films, but with a new perspective of the new apprentice lurking in the shadows.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Yooooo Shout Factory is putting out a Brotherhood of the Wolf Blu Ray: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/brotherhood-of-the-wolf-collector-s-edition

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Lumbermouth posted:

Yooooo Shout Factory is putting out a Brotherhood of the Wolf Blu Ray: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/brotherhood-of-the-wolf-collector-s-edition

Every frame of that movie is a beautiful painting.

I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed cinematography more.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I just watched Hausu (1977) and... that was one of the loving movies of all time huh.

Calling it the Speed Racer of horror wouldn't be inaccurate. I'm gonna be evangelizing this one to anyone who seems like the type to poke dead animals with a stick. Maybe the people who have conversations with their cats when no one is around fall under the target audience, too. And people who buy Gentle Giants dog food

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hausu slaps.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dorium posted:

Hausu slaps.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Now I want to watch Hausu again

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Now I want to watch Hausu again

It's on my rewatch list for the May Horror Challenge.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

It's on my rewatch list for the May Horror Challenge.

I need to start putting a list together.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I think I am concentrating on rewatching the physical collection of horror films I've accumulated since October, with an emphasis on Spring/Summer type movies, like The Burning, and maybe avoiding the more Autumnal films like Halloween and Lords of Salem.

I've seen 85 out of 100 from IndieWire's 100 Best Horror

And I have seen 528 out of 1000 from the They Shoot Zombies, with 3 in the top 100 I haven't seen.

So I may pull from those lists when I want something new.

Oh, and whatever gets drawn in the Horror Bracketology thread, as well.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I love your av so much

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I really liked The Power on Shudder. Anyone else watch it? The subtext is a little heavy-handed but it's got style and atmosphere for days.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

I really liked The Power on Shudder. Anyone else watch it? The subtext is a little heavy-handed but it's got style and atmosphere for days.

Yeah I definitely liked the way it looked but by the end it had kinda lost me, probably because it was pretty heavy handed like you said. I liked the creepy mystery parts early on though. It may not be the movie’s fault either because I was super sleepy when I watched it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I definitely liked the way it looked but by the end it had kinda lost me, probably because it was pretty heavy handed like you said. I liked the creepy mystery parts early on though. It may not be the movie’s fault either because I was super sleepy when I watched it.

I liked the theme about women's voices a lot but by the end, between the imagery on the wall of the children's ward, the dialogue, and then it becoming a lot more explicit in the climax of the film, it was kind of a lot. I have a nurse friend who is crazy about horror though and she said that the interactions between the nurses and with the doctors/admin staff felt very authentic to her experience, even for a movie that takes place almost 50 years ago.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

dorium posted:

Hausu slaps.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have the relatively new Curse of Frankenstein blu ray(which I've read is excellent) to go along with the new Hammer blu ray set so my first two movies for May are definitely gonna be Curse of Frankenstein and Revenge of Frankenstein.

This Hammer set also has some other stuff I'm interested in though, like I had no idea they did a remake of The Old Dark House, and I've also never seen a mummy film from Hammer other than the 1959 original, and this set has Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, so I'm excited to check that out.

So I've got at least 5 or 6 Hammer horrors ready to go, just need to fill in the rest with some stuff from Shudder and also Psycho Goreman will definitely be on my list.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

I love your av so much

Thanks I love yours too

cause I made it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My May challenge tentative list. It's just the top 31 They Shoot Zombies entries I haven't seen.