Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI1JGPhYBS8

Zack is back making movies about guns, bros, tough chicks and death. Now this is his real art.

I'd like to hope it's just the marketing, and this will have a lot more of a tone closer to his Dawn of the Dead remake that shifts back and forth between funny-grim moments and a hyper-violent music video, but I feel like this is going to just wind up in a disappointing smoothed out middle. I also really wanted him to go hog wild on his own thing, doing stuff I haven't seen before in the genre or from him, but I see a lot of elements borrowed from what zombie fiction has done since he put out the Dawn remake in 2004. Nevertheless I'm absolutely gonna watch that the moment it drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Well this is certainly weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_cn8LQMnUc

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Forgotten Gialli Vol1
Forgotten Gialli Vol2
Forgotten Gialli Vol3

Which I don't think comes out to enough movies, but I'll find out along the way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

Forgotten Gialli Vol1
Forgotten Gialli Vol2
Forgotten Gialli Vol3

Which I don't think comes out to enough movies, but I'll find out along the way.

9 in total, I'm half way through Volume 2. I will warn you, that I took forever to get through Volume 1 because I kept bouncing right off of "The Killer is One of Thirteen"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

9 in total, I'm half way through Volume 2. I will warn you, that I took forever to get through Volume 1 because I kept bouncing right off of "The Killer is One of Thirteen"

Exciting. I can usually power through terrible movies

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Is Cronenberg's Crash "horror" enough for the May Challenge?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

its certainly sexy enough imo.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If it means getting someone to watch Crash, then yes, yes it is.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

If it means getting someone to watch Crash, then yes, yes it is.

I'm wondering if I should watch it before the May challenge or save it for the challenge.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Always be watching movies

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

I'm wondering if I should watch it before the May challenge or save it for the challenge.

In that case I'll be honest and say that no, it's probably not considered a horror by any metric. "Strange erotic thriller" is how I would describe it. With an emphasis on strange. And erotic.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Crash (1996), Crash (2004), and Crash (1976) are all horrific in their own way.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the implications of the body horror being inflicted upon those stricken with the pleasure of flesh and steel could be a round about way to getting there.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

In that case I'll be honest and say that no, it's probably not considered a horror by any metric. "Strange erotic thriller" is how I would describe it. With an emphasis on strange. And erotic.

That's what I needed! Thank you.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Watch Crash now, watch Dead Ringers in May imo

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Unearthed Films just released 29 Needles if you want a weird sex horror movie

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

good to see Lucy from Twin Peaks back to her shenannigans again!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dragonshirt posted:

Zombies are so stale, having them look like the monsters from Ghosts of Mars is pretty refreshing.

Ghosts of Mars has a lot of potential that it never reaches.

The look and concept of the monsters is ace: humans possessed by the spirits of an ancient Martian civilization whose response to being trapped in these new alien human bodies is to self-mutilate.

Shame about the rest of the film.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

dorium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI1JGPhYBS8

Zack is back making movies about guns, bros, tough chicks and death. Now this is his real art.

That song makes me laugh every drat time

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I really appreciate how the trailer uses the studio mandated number of loud banging noises in the least annoying way possible. If it was a longer preview it could have played right into a cover of Pink Floyd's Money.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

dorium posted:

the implications of the body horror being inflicted upon those stricken with the pleasure of flesh and steel could be a round about way to getting there.

the horror version of that is tetsuo the iron man, which honestly would be a great double feature

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

God help me, I'm watching Willy's Wonderland.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Vince MechMahon posted:

God help me, I'm watching Willy's Wonderland.

I know people are kinda down on it, but I enjoyed it. dumb characters, lots of dumb gore and nic cage silently chewing scenery. dunno, it worked for me.

and under 90 minutes! a movie earns loving 3 stars nowadays being under 2 hours at this point.

dorium fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 14, 2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Got my May list put together :toot:

https://letterboxd.com/count_thrashula/list/may-2021-halfoween-horror-challenge/

That finishes up the top 100 of the TSZDT 2020 list, and also a few from the Slant Best Horror list. Some stuff on here I'm ashamed I haven't seen!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

https://letterboxd.com/count_thrashula/list/may-2021-halfoween-horror-challenge/

That finishes up the top 100 of the TSZDT 2020 list, and also a few from the Slant Best Horror list. Some stuff on here I'm ashamed I haven't seen!

If you haven't seen it, add Abel Ferrara's Body Snatchers, too!

This is an awesome list. I think your weakest link is maybe Nyby's The Thing From Another World, and I wouldn't call it bad or anything. You're in for a lot of special treats.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dorium posted:

I know people are kinda down on it, but I enjoyed it. dumb characters, lots of dumb gore and nic cage silently chewing scenery. dunno, it worked for me.

and under 90 minutes! a movie earns loving 3 stars nowadays being under 2 hours at this point.

If they hadn't blown all their money on nic Cage and a Skynyrd song maybe they could have fixed the rest of the movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

That's an incredible list. You're going to have the best month of your life.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

This rules and includes 7 of the best films I watched last October

My list is pretty similar since I'm also pulling from TSZDT. I don't expect I'll watch them all but I like to have options.

https://letterboxd.com/tarnop/list/may-challenge-2021/

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 14, 2021

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Since everyone is doing it, here's my partial list: https://boxd.it/bDWTw

A mix of the remainder of the Slant + Edgar Wright top 100 lists and some movies I've purchased on disc but haven't watched yet. The rest of the month will just be whatever I feel like at the time and probably at least a few rewatches mixed in.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

There are at least 3 out of my all-time top 10 favorite horror movies on there, you're gonna have a good time

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 14, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I mean, I know everyone else has said it but for once I have seen 74% of a list and you're gonna have fun!

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
I haven't done one of the horror challenges here yet and I'm anxious to make a list. Is 31 movies what we should usually shoot for?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

twernt posted:

I haven't done one of the horror challenges here yet and I'm anxious to make a list. Is 31 movies what we should usually shoot for?

The May Challenge is the more casual challenge thread. You are allowed to make whatever goals for yourself. The soft number that's suggested is 13 movies, since we're halfway to Halloween and the October Challenge is 31 movies. Some people go crazy, though, and try to watch as many as possible.

Some people pick themed goals, too. "All the original Godzilla movies." "Only vampire movies." Whatever's fun for you!

There's also challenges I come up with, sorta like a film scavenger hunt, to push people out of their comfort zone and to add an extra layer of challenge. It's entirely voluntary.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I never make a list, I just watch movies randomly and pretend it's all part of the plan. Usually there's enough horror to at least get to 13 (the spookiest number).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My original list is usually more of an outline compared to the end result.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
This sounds like it's going to be fun! I like setting constraints for myself so I will probably stick to the idea I originally had -- watching one movie that is new to me per year, starting in 1960.

https://boxd.it/bNwS8

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

STAC Goat posted:

My original list is usually more of an outline compared to the end result.

Yeah I tend to pick half a dozen films I plan to watch, and then I just add other ones as they come up or if they fit a Fran challenge or whatever. I've seen all of Juicy Boi's list except for 3, so I'll probably watch those three and build from there. Lord knows I have dozens in the back log.

twernt posted:

This sounds like it's going to be fun! I like setting constraints for myself so I will probably stick to the idea I originally had -- watching one movie that is new to me per year, starting in 1960.

https://boxd.it/bNwS8

You have some great ones on here. I watched Amsterdamned a couple of weeks back, really fun. Tourist Trap is also pretty wild.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I get pretty obsessed with planning things out in October, I literally go day by day and calendar everything I'm planning to watch. For me that's like half the fun. May is definitely more casual though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I also get obsessed with planning in October, but part of the fun is also adapting on the fly when Fran Challenges or movies that caught my attention in the thread or something that popped up in streaming or a path I went down happens. Doing my two May goals + Fran's Challenges + Bracketology feels daunting but that's kind of the fun for me. Its not a "challenge" if its not a challenge.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Same here. Without strict constraints it's not as fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I prefer my challenges to be more like an Iron Man competition. Just different levels of stress with each movie as it progresses for an entire month.

https://letterboxd.com/dorium/list/may-horror-month-of-out-doing-last-april/

still adding, but this is where im at right now.