Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Not sure what you all are on about, the action genre is better now than it's been in decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
For posters that are well-versed in spookums, I have a question that has bothered me for a while, and it got brought up again this weekend.

Fright Night.

Chris Sarandon plays Jerry the sexy vampire. His assistant is Billy, his "live in" carpenter. Billy works on the house, gets rid of Jerry's bodies, and is basically his full-time caretaker, able to walk in the daytime and sunlight.

Spoiler alert!

Billy, seemingly human, does not get felled by a deathblow, or falling down the stairs. It takes a full round of silver(?) bullets to kill him. He implodes with bright green goo into a skellington.

So what the hell is Billy? A flesh golem of some kind? Is there a precedence in vampire lore for this type of assistant?

I've always thought it was a Jaws-ish "air cylinder explodes like an 02 bottle" / "Wow them in the end" scenario. And it succeeds at that. But if anyone were to know more, it'd be someone in here or the cryptid thread.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 3, 2021

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I always thought of him as a ghoul, a human who is made super strong and tough by regularly feeding on his master's blood, but I grew up a World of Darkness nerd.

Julius from Vampire in Brooklyn is something similar.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like vampire stories often have a second that is kind of a "ghoul" or unexplained thing that is more than just a human "familiar." Admittedly the only examples jumping to mind for me are Salem's Lot and Vampire in Brooklyn. But I always chalk it up to kind of a half way point where he might be bitten but not feeding or feeding but not bitten or just magic because I like it when vampires are just kind of wizards.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

He's sorta like Renfield, maybe? Though I've never been entirely sure what Renfield's deal is, so :shrug:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Are there any pre-Fright Night examples of this, too? Maybe from a book or something?

I never made the connection to Vampire In Brooklyn, which is apt, but also 10 years after (and probably influenced by) Fright Night.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think Renfield is the basis for the "ghoul" idea. But Renfield doesn't really seem to have powers, he's just insane and eats bugs. But he's got a supernatural connection with Dracula and I think other writers run with that and sometimes that connection gives you powers.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Not sure what you all are on about, the action genre is better now than it's been in decades.

Outside of superhero stuff or the Fast and Furious franchise?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think Renfield is the basis for the "ghoul" idea. But Renfield doesn't really seem to have powers, he's just insane and eats bugs. But he's got a supernatural connection with Dracula and I think other writers run with that and sometimes that connection gives you powers.

Renfield does believe that he can absorb the lifeforce of the bugs and become immortal that way. So I can see someone taking the next step and writing a Renfield who is actually correct about all that "blood is life" stuff.

Drunkboxer posted:

Outside of superhero stuff or the Fast and Furious franchise?

The guys behind The Raid are in the prime of their careers, not to mention John Wick and everything that's come out of that(Atomic Blonde, Nobody, etc.). Plus you've got Scott Adkins out there still doing his thing.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

At least in the novel 'Salem's Lot, Barlow's familiar is completely a regular human dude, if a big strong capable one. Dude falls to getting smacked in the melon with a metal bed leg if I recall.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Renfield does believe that he can absorb the lifeforce of the bugs and become immortal that way. So I can see someone taking the next step and writing a Renfield who is actually correct about all that "blood is life" stuff.

The guys behind The Raid are in the prime of their careers, not to mention John Wick and everything that's come out of that(Atomic Blonde, Nobody, etc.). Plus you've got Scott Adkins out there still doing his thing.

I keep forgetting about the Wick movies. Well anyway I still don’t think they should remake Escape From NY. We’ve had about 20 years of remake heavy hollywood now and like maybe 1 in every 10 remakes are memorable.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I'm actually watching Fright Night right now and its so good.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Also Nobody.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zwabu posted:

At least in the novel 'Salem's Lot, Barlow's familiar is completely a regular human dude, if a big strong capable one. Dude falls to getting smacked in the melon with a metal bed leg if I recall.

In the movie he seems to have super strength and they have to unload 6 bullets in his chest before he goes down. And that does predate Fright Night (and I think shares some similar dna).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Drunkboxer posted:

I keep forgetting about the Wick movies.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

It’s pretty weird and bad I’ve not seen them yet, I agree.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If you dont think John Wick kicks absolute rear end then get the gently caress outta my trap house

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

If you dont think John Wick kicks absolute rear end then get the gently caress outta my trap house

I’m sure I’ll like them but I’m a busy man. My watch list is full of real cinema I need to watch first like Wolfen and Beverly Hills Vamp

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
One of the best cinematic experiences of my life was watching a double feature of the first John Wick and Mad Max: Fury Road at the Alamo Drafthouse in Brooklyn a few years ago.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

John Wick is practically a horror flick if you consider yourself to be a henchman of any sort.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

dorium posted:

John Wick is practically a horror flick if you consider yourself to be a henchman of any sort.

The Boogeyman

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I was not expecting to love "Willy's Wonderland" but Nicholas Cage absolutely carries that drat thing. I can't hate a movie that culminates in a stupid song summing up the events thus far, especially when it takes place with Cage triumphantly hitting 1 million points in pinball on his designated monster-fighting break.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Awhile ago someone asked about Deep Blue Sea 3, and I can report that it's surprisingly decent. Really nice looking, tons of original underwater footage and physical shark puppets, it doesn't look like a straight-to-DVD sequel at all. And the single best shark-related death I've ever seen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
This William Castle remake of The Old Dark House is loving great, I can't believe I didn't know it existed until recently. It even has a quirky animated opening credits which I'm a sucker for.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

The Call is like a straight-to-VHS movies that the old horror stars would have made in the 1970s and 80s. Lin Shaye and Tobin Bell getting the money is good, it has a couple of scares and a decent enough atmosphere but I hadn't heard about it at all before finding it on streaming. The content warning: child abuse plot didn't sit very well as a side plot for the two brothers.

Long time no chat in this thread, lots of weird stuff happening in real life. I miss the streams. I need to figure out a horror relevant avatar to go with my new username (I felt my old username could be considered a bit mocking of an accent, not cool) without stepping on Kvlt!'s toes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

legally we have to get married now

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

legally we have to get married now

Bride of the Goon - WARNING! THE MONSTER DEMANDS A MATE!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Grammarchist posted:

I was not expecting to love "Willy's Wonderland" but Nicholas Cage absolutely carries that drat thing. I can't hate a movie that culminates in a stupid song summing up the events thus far, especially when it takes place with Cage triumphantly hitting 1 million points in pinball on his designated monster-fighting break.

i was really hot and cold on WW. some of the music was terrific (the songs with lyrics, mostly) but all the bog-standard stock-rock instrumental stuff left me feeling cheap. the pace also felt pretty all-over-the-place - very little buildup before Cage is nonchalantly taking apart Ozzie Ostrich. Cage was fun in it, though, and i loved seeing Beth Grant have some room to flex as the sherrif. she really gets underused in things, or cast as the 'annoying elderly figure', so it was cool to see her be a badass

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust

Spatulater bro! posted:

He's sorta like Renfield, maybe? Though I've never been entirely sure what Renfield's deal is, so :shrug:

He was definitely the Renfield in that movie

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Pleasing Shape posted:

He was definitely the Renfield in that movie

Also Jackie from What We Do in the Shadows

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I can’t tell if Things Heard & Seen is an ok Lynchian movie, a bad parody, or a great Lifetime movie.

edit: maybe it’s just terrible?

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 4, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Drunkboxer posted:

I can’t tell if Things Heard & Seen is an ok Lynchian movie, a bad parody, or a great Lifetime movie.

Watched it with my partner and we were both fully onboard and into it until the ending. Completely unsatisfying.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Drunkboxer posted:

The ending was my favourite bit - utterly batshit, and never a good sign when your ghostly voiceovers start to come in 30 seconds from your credit sequence to clarify what's happening, but at least it showed some genuine strangeness and imagination.

Everything leading up to it felt like the kind of self-hating, reluctant 'literary' genre piece that Ursula K LeGuin used to despise - a ghost story that thinks ghost stories are beneath it, so it rushes through the haunting stuff as quickly and generically as possible, in order to get back to its more highbrow dramatic concerns, 1) adultery and deception in academia and 2) endless meaningful references to Swedenborg.

If they'd wanted to go all in, I think a post-Shining/Amityville ghost story where an increasingly estranged couple are simultaneously haunted by a pair of feuding ghosts, one a spirit of accumulated domestic violence and male grievance, one a spirit of that violence's accumulated victimhood, could actually have done a lot. But instead, bizarrely, the 'husband ghost' is foreshadowed by F. Murray Abraham...and then never explicitly plays any part in the narrative bar a couple of seconds of evil whispering.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Renfield in Dracula spawned a sort of tradition where the vampire has a human servant who's not entirely human. Renfield was described as having preternatural strength. Besides Straker in Salem's Lot, the only other examples I can think of are The Hunger and The Lost Boys, where there's a difference between vampiric thralls and "true" vampires.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Renfield in Dracula spawned a sort of tradition where the vampire has a human servant who's not entirely human. Renfield was described as having preternatural strength. Besides Straker in Salem's Lot, the only other examples I can think of are The Hunger and The Lost Boys, where there's a difference between vampiric thralls and "true" vampires.

Ghouls and thralls had powers in Vampire: The Masquerade if I remember correctly. Also in The Strain the vampires could give their vampire goop to their servants to give them strength.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Vampire got really into it. Eventually they started having ghoul families, called revenants, where the children are born with vampire blood in their system. Only the most eeevil vampire clans were willing to do this, so it became an excuse for more of the most edgy stuff in the setting.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

RobbZombae posted:

The Call is like a straight-to-VHS movies that the old horror stars would have made in the 1970s and 80s. Lin Shaye and Tobin Bell getting the money is good, it has a couple of scares and a decent enough atmosphere but I hadn't heard about it at all before finding it on streaming. The content warning: child abuse plot didn't sit very well as a side plot for the two brothers.

Long time no chat in this thread, lots of weird stuff happening in real life. I miss the streams. I need to figure out a horror relevant avatar to go with my new username (I felt my old username could be considered a bit mocking of an accent, not cool) without stepping on Kvlt!'s toes.

Oh no I lost my Spook-a-doodle gangtag, can I have it again? Mods?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

RobbZombae posted:

what was ur old name i cang figure out what poster you are

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

RobbZombae posted:

Done. Just waiting for the admins to accept it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh my. I just watched Hausu.

What the hell did I just see?

E: my review is in the May challenge thread, but since I'm not sure how much that thread is intended to be for discussion and how much for just reviews, I'm talking about it here as well.

What a weird, wonderful, completely bizarre movie. I think my favourite bit, aside from the psychedelic jamming skeleton and the cute kitty, was that Mr. Togo spends the entire movie driving over to rescue the girls from the haunted house, and instead at the last moment gets turned into a pile of bananas with a hat and glasses on, by magical watermelon man.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 4, 2021