Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's still the same producers they've had for the entire run of the series so I'm crossing my fingers that Detective Hoffman will return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The thing I remember most about Return of the Living Dead 3 is that the Riverman effects were loving terrible at the end. You could clearly see the arms and legs that were supposedly blown off during that entire scene. It reminds me of Robocop 3 where he loses an arm and you can see it tied behind his back for the rest of the movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

RotLD3 holds a special place in my heart because it was the very first R-rated movie I ever saw.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

It's still the same producers they've had for the entire run of the series so I'm crossing my fingers that Detective Hoffman will return.

It’s set in the world of Saw but no previous character returns. It’s a new story.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Looking up Return of the Living Dead to find out that Brian Peck, who was Scuz in the first one, is a convicted sex offender (victim under the age of fourteen) that somehow worked on Nickelodeon shows for a few years after getting out of prison. But then again, he seems to be friends with both Brian Singer and Dan Schneider.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

It’s set in the world of Saw but no previous character returns. It’s a new story.

I don't trust them

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It has to be better than Jigsaw, that twist is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a movie.

"I speak for the dead"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'll be honest I've already had trouble taking Chris Rock's Hardened Detective Face seriously in the trailer and I think that might end up being an issue for me when I watch the movie.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, Jigsaw was disappointing. After the gap I thought they had a good idea, but nope, they did not. And I didn't buy its retcons either.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I finished the movie but only because I couldn't wait to see how much worse it could get. The idea that they did the same exact multi-person trap twice and found lookalikes for all of the victims and held onto something like a dozen bodies for years to pull it off was just driving me insane.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jigsaw actually kinda fooled me just because I immediately clued into what they were doing, but then I dismissed because I was like "there's no way they pull this same trick again, they've done this before!". But then they did and I was both surprised and disappointed.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It also has the worst traps of the series. The best trap is the carousel from 6.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

"I speak for the dead"

The dead speak!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
*gasp*

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The best trap is the needle pit from 2. As an ex junkie I aint even scared of needles but that pit scares me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Agreed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the worst one for me where the woman sticks her hand through the hole to grab the syringe but then it's like a finger trap where shards of glass cut into her arm if she tries to pull it out.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Glass shards are for sure worse than needles in my mind, assuming they don’t go deep enough to poke anything important. Digging out slivers of glass from your hand sucks rear end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Has there ever been a saw trap where a thing latches onto your arm or neck and pumps out your blood geyser style. That'd freak me right out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't watched half of the SAW films so like what does "the world of SAW" even mean? Like is there something unique about the world if there aren't character crossovers or references?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lurdiak posted:

Has there ever been a saw trap where a thing latches onto your arm or neck and pumps out your blood geyser style. That'd freak me right out.

I think the fifth one had a twist where all of them were supposed to survive until the end because they had to put their arms in a contraption that slits their wrists and fills a tank with their blood. There only being two people instead of five or six means they have to give up like several liters of blood each. And yet I think they somehow survive.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Its just another EU like Marvel or Ft13th dont overthink it lmao

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't watched half of the SAW films so like what does "the world of SAW" even mean? Like is there something unique about the world if there aren't character crossovers or references?

lol yea kinda. They sort of underestimated how popular the series would be so they hosed up and killed Jigsaw off in Saw 2. So from that point on it's just a neverending web of apprentices and past victims coming back for revenge and even more apprentices and there's like a whole stable of characters. It's pretty funny.

So that's why I'm calling bullshit on the no crossovers or references thing. They're gonna do it, they can't resist.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, every sequel (with the exception of Jigsaw) does this “If the camera had continued zooming out, you’d have seen that this new character had been around all along!” thing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

lol yea kinda. They sort of underestimated how popular the series would be so they hosed up and killed Jigsaw off in Saw 2. So from that point on it's just a neverending web of apprentices and past victims coming back for revenge and even more apprentices and there's like a whole stable of characters. It's pretty funny.

So that's why I'm calling bullshit on the no crossovers or references thing. They're gonna do it, they can't resist.

Jigsaw gets killed in Saw 3 not Saw 2.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah, but they're all kind of connected, right? Like they're all Jigsaw's proteges or victims or whatever, right? So isn't "the world of SAW" just "the world of Jigsaw"? Even posthumously. Its not like its a MCU deal where aliens and superheroes are established as real or something. Its just a bunch of serial killers with a gimmick and connection.

So yeah, "the world of SAW" just seems like its either got one of those people or its just a random cop/serial killer film they threw a brand name on.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's our world but everyone is 10% more stupid

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, but they're all kind of connected, right? Like they're all Jigsaw's proteges or victims or whatever, right? So isn't "the world of SAW" just "the world of Jigsaw"? Even posthumously. Its not like its a MCU deal where aliens and superheroes are established as real or something. Its just a bunch of serial killers with a gimmick and connection.

So yeah, "the world of SAW" just seems like its either got one of those people or its just a random cop/serial killer film they threw a brand name on.

Correct, the only connection they all have is to Jigsaw, there isn't some sort of other element that this "world" has that's different from the real world.

The constantly appearing new apprentices endlessly backstabbing each other is sort of a unique thing though so I suppose you could count that as a "world".

Tarnop posted:

It's our world but everyone is 10% more stupid

Basically. Sort of like how Hobbes and Shaw was a Fast & Furious movie because that world is so ridiculous that it sort of became it's own unique identifiable thing.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, every sequel (with the exception of Jigsaw) does this “If the camera had continued zooming out, you’d have seen that this new character had been around all along!” thing.

"Out on the town having the time of my life with a bunch of friends and fellow apprentices. They're all just out frame, laughing and tormenting the complacent people who take life for granted too."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The world of saw is just that the jigsaw murders happened.

That’s it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
But in what order? As far as I can tell, the "universe of Saw" is just following the continuity through all these twists where the opening scene is chronologically the last one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Great, now I want to watch the SAW movies.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Marathoning the Saws is surprisingly enjoyable. You end up fast forwarding through the torture scenes by like part 3 to get to the dumb as hell story poo poo. Hope Hoffman pops back up somewhere in the new one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's an entertaining series because they always bend over backwards to connect stuff back to what came before, they never do that standard horror series thing where they just drop stuff from the last movie and never mention it again. But they do this to a fault, so there's definitely times where they should just make a clean break from what came before but they refuse to ever do it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

It's an entertaining series because they always bend over backwards to connect stuff back to what came before, they never do that standard horror series thing where they just drop stuff from the last movie and never mention it again. But they do this to a fault, so there's definitely times where they should just make a clean break from what came before but they refuse to ever do it.

I think the craziest one was getting Cary Elwes back.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

in 2 years I'll do an effortpost about why saws so good

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The first one set the formula that the last 15 minutes have to be a dramatic reveal of the secret machinations that have been going on the whole film like a crazy parlor scene set to intense butt-rock. Then it just got crazier and crazier every sequel to the point of parody. I have a soft spot for that series even tho it’s trash and features some of the worst acting I’ve ever seen. Can’t help myself.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah the best part of the Saw series is the convoluted story and timeline.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The crazy plot twists are better than the traps tbh tho the traps are always a lot of fun too. Might be my favorite 2000s horror series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

graventy posted:

Yeah the best part of the Saw series is the convoluted story and timeline.

I'm kinda worried that Chris Rock, who seems to have been the driving force behind this revival/reboot/whatever may not understand that. Anyone who looks at the Saw series and says "what we need to do here is flush everything and start completely over from square one" doesn't understand why it was good.

On a related note, the first Saw is getting a UHD release next week.