Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Sleep Away camp is a weird movie. First off its falls into the trope of "insane cross dresser" but with the difference being that its not really clear why Angela is killing people, was she driven insane being forced to live the opposite gender , was she driven insane by having "gay feelings'. Its really unclear in the film why Angela is going around murdering people. Tbe 2nd and 3rd films are totally tonally different than the first in the 2nd Angela claims her transgender identity going with confirmation surgery so what does that mean for the first film? Anyway I'm still unclear if Sleepaway Camp is a "good" LGBTQ film or a bad one, but I lean toward bad one

With the exception of the final scene doesn’t she only kill people who “deserve” it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yep 99% of Sleepaway Camp is bland as hell. Without the insane ending it would have been lost to 80s slasher obscurity.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

the kills in Sleepaway Camp are lame af I've only seen it once but I remember being bored to tears.

Did you even see that massive stockpot full of corn?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Drunkboxer posted:

With the exception of the final scene doesn’t she only kill people who “deserve” it?

Yeah she only kills people who are assholes

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Sleepaway Camp 2 and 3 are very different in that they're much more like the comedic slashers of the late 80s. Bad, but corny and enjoyable.
Sleepaway 2 and 3 also kind of walk back the whole trans angle with Angela. They quickly explain she had sexual re-assignment surgery and never bring it up again. So, it becomes kinda progressive because Angela is just treated as a lady.

Sleepaway Camp is Grade A trash cinema. "Eat poo poo and live" is great, but it's also transphobic and homophobic bullshit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As always with this topic though I will bring up that The Burning is better than Friday the 13th or Sleepaway Camp.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Deadly Eyes is better than the awful book but could do with a modern remake. As long as they keep the dogs in rat costumes!

Edit: Oh poo poo, I wiki'd it and now I'm confused - there's an uncited piece in the article that one of the dachshunds died on set. I bloody hope not.

At least we'll always have David Fincher doggy xeno.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 10, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

^^^ I really liked the book :(

Basebf555 posted:

As always with this topic though I will bring up that The Burning is better than Friday the 13th or Sleepaway Camp.

Yep. If The Burning was a F13 sequel it'd be the most praised one.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

nah the burning is above average for slashers, but other than the raft scene and finale it's more of a slog than the other 2. Hunky Jason Alexander is cool

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Spatulater bro! posted:

^^^ I really liked the book :(

When did you last read it? I read it last year and it was obnoxiously sexist, although the attack scenes were really well written.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sleepaway Camp is at worst the 3rd best movie about summer camp ever made.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

RobbZombae posted:

When did you last read it? I read it last year and it was obnoxiously sexist, although the attack scenes were really well written.

2 or 3 years ago. Truthfully I don't recall flagrant sexism. I guess I was too focused on the awesome death scenes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

nah the burning is above average for slashers, but other than the raft scene and finale it's more of a slog than the other 2. Hunky Jason Alexander is cool

Yeah, that was my take on The Burning as well.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

are you implying theres a NON-hunky Jason Alexander?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, that was my take on The Burning as well.

i do think it lends credence to the harvey weinstein has a gross dick theory

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Burning has the best characters of all the movies we're discussing here, so I don't find it to be a slog at all. It's one of the rare slashers where I'm entertained even when there's no slashing going on.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I always get the Mutilator and the Prowler mixed up speaking of one off 80s slashers and I remember one of em being wicked good and the other wicked dissapointing but idk which one is which tbqh

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
i haven't seen prowler, but mutilator is fun

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I always get the Mutilator and the Prowler mixed up speaking of one off 80s slashers and I remember one of em being wicked good and the other wicked dissapointing but idk which one is which tbqh

I like them both but Mutilator (aka Fall Break) is way dumber. Both have some pretty memorable gore.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you’ve just seen Sleepaway Camp then I implore you to listen to the How Did This Get Made episode about it. They spend about 20 minutes arguing about the relationships between the characters and it’s incredible.

This was an amazing episode BTW. Just listened to it. The hosts are so completely baffled by everything in the movie.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 10, 2021

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

this is 100% true but I still really like Sleepaway Camp

The Mutilator is pretty bad but the theme song is an absolute bop

WE'RE GOIN ON A FALL BREAK (FALL BREAK)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmvJSm7ttFg

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

The best song from a horror movie about that horror movie is still Amsterdamned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKXeLnjvUNY

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Tbe 2nd and 3rd films are totally tonally different than the first in the 2nd Angela claims her transgender identity going with confirmation surgery
"And our parents' taxes paid for it!!"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

are you implying theres a NON-hunky Jason Alexander?
Powerful! He is so powerful! He can lift 100 pounds right over his head!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Powerful! He is so powerful! He can lift 100 pounds right over his head!

Kvlt! wasn't even born when this episode aired

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hollismason posted:

The best song from a horror movie about that horror movie is still Amsterdamned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKXeLnjvUNY

A cool song and a cool movie, but to me the best song in this category would be New Year's Evil.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

A cool song and a cool movie, but to me the best song in this category would be New Year's Evil.

like Fall Break, this one is a major earworm

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTgr3j1jfao

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I always get annoyed at my friend's otherwise dope Halloween parties because she plays the Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff Freddy rap instead of the superior Fat Boys Freddy rap.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3jH2dwU06c

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Se9PtLLP4

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
https://youtu.be/9jAJQsq4ZOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There was a movie a few months back everyone here was positive about, it was a Mexican or South American one about a festival that I’m pretty sure started with a B but that’s all my busted old brain can remember, anyone know what I’m talking about?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Retro Futurist posted:

There was a movie a few months back everyone here was positive about, it was a Mexican or South American one about a festival that I’m pretty sure started with a B but that’s all my busted old brain can remember, anyone know what I’m talking about?

Bacurau?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yes! Thank you. I had “barrio” in my head but that definitely wasn’t it

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Rewatching Sleepaway Camp last year solidified it as one of my favourite slashers. It is so weird, and has this sexually-charged energy in nearly every scene. Also, this film just throws Aunt Martha at you, and she exists in a completely different reality than the one of the film, and it just adds to the weird tone throughout.

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust
The thing I'll always remember about Sleepaway Camp is the awesome poster. Did the killer just get really mad at the victim's shoe or something?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Retro Futurist posted:

Yes! Thank you. I had “barrio” in my head but that definitely wasn’t it

I very much enjoyed it, it stuck with me. Also this rad as hell music appears in the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyNuWCjc-bg

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Rewatching Sleepaway Camp last year solidified it as one of my favourite slashers. It is so weird, and has this sexually-charged energy in nearly every scene. Also, this film just throws Aunt Martha at you, and she exists in a completely different reality than the one of the film, and it just adds to the weird tone throughout.

Certain films, despite admittedly horrible acting, bargain basement budget and effects, have a certain emotional energy to them nonetheless that gives them some merit. It's a quality of ....sincerity, earnestness, or something. I felt this way watching Sleepaway Camp, and to a degree with Phantasm also. With Sleepaway Camp I think that the relationship between Angela and the boy, despite the bad acting, gave it this sincere quality, like I could actually buy that he cared and was protective of her. And that made ME care. I have a hard time articulating the nature of this quality, but it causes me to like the film even while I'm saying to myself that I really should be angry or at least annoyed with how shabby this film looks and feels otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Orca: The Killer Whale is such a great film. I rewatched it today and I think it's unfairly dismissed as just a "Jaws ripoff". Yeah, it's part of that cycle of natural horror that happened in the wake of Jaws, but it's doing something completely different. There is a fairly seamless blend between actual Orca footage and animatronics/miniatures, the performances are all excellent, the score by Morricone is incredible, the photography is beautiful, and it has a real romantic tragedy vibe. I kind of love it.