Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Psycho Goreman is how available on Shudder.

oh that didnt take too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerDetective
Jun 4, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

Not always. Sometimes they’re more about body horror and fear of decay/disease.

Yeah you're right, disease and the disabled is a huge one too! So many of these films will have amputee zombies, or the wheelchair-using zombie from Shaun of the Dead/Dead Set. Like way back post World War 1 there was a huge number of soldiers returning with disfiguring/disabling injuries that would have killed them not long before, and there were definitely sentiments from polite society that they would have rather this group of people had not come home.

So you've got (for example) a film like the Crazies takes it one further, it's not a fear of the disease itself, but diseased people as a class in themselves - which is why the army don't care whether the people they're brutalising are actually sick or not, cause it's all just class repression to them. That's why you get that great moment of solidarity where the deputy realises he's infected and the sheriff and his wife stick with him, because they're all seen as less-than-human anyway

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

BonerDetective posted:

Yeah you're right, disease and the disabled is a huge one too! So many of these films will have amputee zombies, or the wheelchair-using zombie from Shaun of the Dead/Dead Set. Like way back post World War 1 there was a huge number of soldiers returning with disfiguring/disabling injuries that would have killed them not long before, and there were definitely sentiments from polite society that they would have rather this group of people had not come home.

When Abel Gance remade his anti-WWI movie J’Accuse in 1938, he cast disfigured veterans to play walking corpses. It was not received well.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Funny Games was discussed earlier and I watched the 2007 one for the first time in years today. One of the things that surprised me the most this time around is most of the graphic violence happens offscreen. The dog, Georgie, George, etc. The only thing shown is when Ann shoots Peter and that’s of course immediately rectified.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

bitterandtwisted posted:

oh that's a good one. I've not seen Deep Red or Opera.
Shudder has a movie called "Deep Red" with the Argento poster on the thumbnail, but it's actually some 90s sci-fi starring Michael Biehn :mad:

I was trying to watch The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover a few weeks back. It floats in and out of various streaming services and it wasn’t on any of the usual suspects. So I checked justwatch and it said I could watch it on sling tv, they have a free trial, no problem. I pull the movie up and the description is all in Spanish, weird but whatever. I hit play and it’s...The Elizabeth Smart Story

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

I was trying to watch The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover a few weeks back. It floats in and out of various streaming services and it wasn’t on any of the usual suspects. So I checked justwatch and it said I could watch it on sling tv, they have a free trial, no problem. I pull the movie up and the description is all in Spanish, weird but whatever. I hit play and it’s...The Elizabeth Smart Story

It's available on Peacock https://www.peacocktv.com/watch/asset/movies/drama/the-cook-the-thief-his-wife-and-her-lover/9bb3bd85-6ad6-3f6e-b3f9-839ee068d8e1

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nice, thanks for the assist. If you ever wanna watch the Elizabeth smart story now you know how

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

BonerDetective posted:

So a movie about a reanimated 1000 year old aristocrat who feeds on the living would be a vampire film, even if they ate brains. I realise that this might come across as contrarian.
Were you specifically thinking of The Brainiac / El Barón del Terror with this?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DeimosRising posted:

I was trying to watch The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover a few weeks back.

I watched that late one night on tv (yay Channel 4 in the UK) when I was about 10/11 I think. hosed me up for a long time, way more than any actual horror.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I mostly find it very easy to just enjoy horror movies without thinking of how dumb the characters are, plot holes, etc. That's just part of the fun of a horror movie. But I just could not get past how dumb A Quiet Place was for how seriously it took itself.

I know it's probably cliche to point this all out now but really - you have multiple kids and decide to have another kid, whose loud noises you can't control in a world where you should not make any sound? You don't temporarily live in a very loud place (the waterfall), which you have shown as being quite safe, for a while? The aliens have super sensitive hearing but nobody in the world thought of using disruptive noise to disorient them? At the end the main guy can throw something to make a sound far away but makes sound to draw the monsters to him because it's a dramatic death? And you have a whiteboard like this? What is the WEAKNESS

This movie is bad and very overrated. I did not see it in the the theatre and from people who watched it that way it sounds like it was an awesome experience where everyone was totally silent, so I'm sure I'd have more positive feelings if I'd seen it that way. But I didn't!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!
a proper zombie movie involves using vodoun to render the living into pliable slaves, imo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I would have liked A Quiet Place more if I had just stumbled on it as the straight to Netflix movie it deserved to be, instead of going into the theater on a wave of hype surrounding it. It's not a bad watch. I just find it's cultural impact baffling, because it's so dumb and unremarkable.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Having a baby in AQP was a terrible idea in-world which I'd be fine with if there was some dramatic payoff, but there isn't. There was no conflict over whether to abort the pregnancy, no moment where they're faced with the prospect of smothering the screaming baby to save the rest of the family but I guess it's fine because they put a mattress over the basement trapdoor :effort:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just assumed they were religious nuts and abortion was never an option. They had that vibe.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm looking forward to seeing Part 2

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

In an apocalypse I would simply act perfectly rationally, ignore biological urges and wait for the human race to go extinct :smug:

BonerDetective
Jun 4, 2013

Darthemed posted:

Were you specifically thinking of The Brainiac / El Barón del Terror with this?

I was misremembering bits of Corman's The Haunted Palace but that sounds tight, I'll check it out!

Hodgepodge posted:

a proper zombie movie involves using vodoun to render the living into pliable slaves, imo

So like, could you count something like THX 1138 as a zombie film?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the ultimate Zombie movie is Devil's Rejects tyvm :colbert:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
When your monster/situation is a metaphor for something like loss or whatever, it doesn't bear thinking too much about exactly how its magic powers work.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I just assumed they were religious nuts and abortion was never an option. They had that vibe.

I don't think they were "religious nuts" but they obviously didn't view killing the baby as an option. It's a pretty conservative movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

veni veni veni posted:

I think I would have liked A Quiet Place more if I had just stumbled on it as the straight to Netflix movie it deserved to be, instead of going into the theater on a wave of hype surrounding it. It's not a bad watch. I just find it's cultural impact baffling, because it's so dumb and unremarkable.

Yeah pretty much.
Found myself rolling my eyes far more often than I was tense. I also cant take Office Jim’s face.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think the trauma of the opening scene is important to keep in mind though when you're watching the rest of the movie play out. It's kind of a metaphor for losing a child in real life and how parents struggle to move on from that and get back to some level of normalcy. And that's what they're fighting for the whole movie, they're refusing to give up on the idea that things can be normal again. So they say gently caress you we're having a baby, we're not going to let this stop us doing the important stuff we want to do in life.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

bitterandtwisted posted:

Having a baby in AQP was a terrible idea in-world which I'd be fine with if there was some dramatic payoff, but there isn't. There was no conflict over whether to abort the pregnancy, no moment where they're faced with the prospect of smothering the screaming baby to save the rest of the family but I guess it's fine because they put a mattress over the basement trapdoor :effort:

It annoyed me greatly because I made the personal choice to not have children due to my pessimistic outlook of the *current* world, and have done a pretty good job at that for 42 years even with all kinds of almost mistakes with breaks and stuff and was just baffled at how they could possibly have a child in that world. I get the metaphorical aspect, but that's where my tactical realism sensors just got broken.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Couldn't they make a deal with the monsters and let them eat like just one kid?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Couldn't they make a deal with the monsters and let them eat like just one kid?

This is how we wind up with alien worshipping death cults.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

:siren: Sisterhood Update :siren:

I received the 29 Needles Blu-ray. Thanks Kvlt! I'll probably watch it tonight.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

agreed on a quiet place. if 'horro' r isn't gonna be fun it's gotta be smart.

i watched Bug last night and enjoyed it a lot. i think I'm going to spend less time looking into conspiracy theories...

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

:siren: Sisterhood Update :siren:

I received the 29 Needles Blu-ray. Thanks Kvlt! I'll probably watch it tonight.

Excited to hear what you think!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion here about the new Saw movie...looks like fairly middling reviews, unfortunately.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion here about the new Saw movie...looks like fairly middling reviews, unfortunately.

I think it's just that there haven't been a whole lot of posters who have actually seen it, I know theaters are open but not everyone has actually gone back yet.

The release did spark a pretty lengthy conversation about the series though, that was like a few pages back, maybe more.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I think it's just that there haven't been a whole lot of posters who have actually seen it, I know theaters are open but not everyone has actually gone back yet.

Yeah this. Im a MASSIVE Saw fan and normally id be all over a new Saw movie, but between work and the Stanley Cup playoffs, and falling out of the habit of going to the theater because of the pandemic, I just havent found the time yet.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

also please I encourage everyone to join the Sisterhood of the Needles, the only thing it costs is you have to ship it to the next person on the list!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah that totally makes sense. Would make an amusing setup for the next Saw movie, too...

FRED SMITH. YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE ATTENDING A THEATER RELEASE OF YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE SERIES. YOU CHOSE TO DO SO WITHOUT WEARING A MASK OR RECIEVING THE COVID 19 VACCINATION, PUTTING THE LIVES OF YOUR FELLOW MOVIEGOERS AT RISK.

I WANT TO PLAY A GAME. YOU HAVE BEEN INFECTED WITH A POISON. THE ANTIDOTE IS IN THE THREE SYRINGES BEFORE YOU. TWO OF THE SYRINGES ALSO HAVE A NANOCHIP BEARING THE MARK OF THE BEAST. YOU HAVE THIRTY SECONDS. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I saw it (and plan on seeing it again tomorrow) but only posted about it in the May Horror Challenge thread and not in here

My TL;DR is I get why people, whether fans of the franchise or not, will dislike it, but it's the most I've been interested in the future of the franchise in a while. The tone varies throughout but the kills look good and the twist didn't feel completely stupid for once. Also I didn't hate Chris Rock's acting

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

FRED SMITH. YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE ATTENDING A THEATER RELEASE OF YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE SERIES. YOU CHOSE TO DO SO WITHOUT WEARING A MASK OR RECIEVING THE COVID 19 VACCINATION, PUTTING THE LIVES OF YOUR FELLOW MOVIEGOERS AT RISK.

I WANT TO PLAY A GAME. YOU HAVE BEEN INFECTED WITH A POISON. THE ANTIDOTE IS IN THE THREE SYRINGES BEFORE YOU. TWO OF THE SYRINGES ALSO HAVE A NANOCHIP BEARING THE MARK OF THE BEAST. YOU HAVE THIRTY SECONDS. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
Praga Khan can do the soundtrack.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

also please I encourage everyone to join the Sisterhood of the Needles, the only thing it costs is you have to ship it to the next person on the list!

yeah sure why not

maybe we can get the list added to the OP or something to make it easier to track?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

WHY BONER NOW posted:

A couple people including myself posted about it in the challenge thread. I liked it well enough, it’s not a great film but it’s better than the last couple of Saw movies, and if you like the franchise you’ll like it too I think

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Spoilers for Army of the Dead: it's predictable, poorly paced, and extremely boring. Zach Snyder has forgotten how to make movies I think?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I'm watching Army of the Dead right now I really love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Hollismason posted:

I'm watching Army of the Dead right now I really love it.

I truly don't mean to be dickish when I ask this, but why? What's doing it for you? Cause I was chewing through my own head waiting for it to end. Like, I will never watch this movie again, so I'm curious what another set of eyes is seeing that I'm not.