Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

People we have to check our politics at the door when we watch movies, which as you know, have never been political.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean yea his politics are repugnant but I don't think that has much to do with the mistakes he's made in taking roles that don't fit his talents.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think politics have anything to do with it, I think it's just what happens to anyone who rises to the level where they're an A-list leading man actor, if they're not talented enough. Most of those roles are actually pretty bland, and they depend on having someone in the role that naturally oozes charisma without having to constantly wink at the camera.

But yeah, I think this is it. Pratt doesn't bother me as a leading man but he doesn't do a lot for me either. But I think Starlord works because he's still part of an ensemble who gets to clown on him and roll their eyes and then you get Thor or Iron Man showing up and he just falls back into goofy sidekick territory. But I don't really wanna see him spend two hours romancing a leading lady and being the action star.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think politics have anything to do with it, I think it's just what happens to anyone who rises to the level where they're an A-list leading man actor, if they're not talented enough. Most of those roles are actually pretty bland, and they depend on having someone in the role that naturally oozes charisma without having to constantly wink at the camera.

Yeah, I think this describes the issue pretty well. A similar thing happened to people like Alden Ehrenreich or Donnie Yen. They lost a lot of their comedic qualities in the transition to straight leading man because those roles don't allow for it.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 14, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

that post was worse than my shitposts itt in 2012 when i was 14 years old (the guy going off against Chris Pratt, not the post above me)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

I mean yea his politics are repugnant but I don't think that has much to do with the mistakes he's made in taking roles that don't fit his talents.

I think it might. He went from playing likable goof balls to being badass buff action heroes who protect the family and women from danger. It was probably an accident but I look at that new movie he’s doing where people get drafted to fight aliens and he’s gotta protect his family and idk.

He probably won’t ever be an Andy Dwyer again.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I think it might. He went from playing likable goof balls to being badass buff action heroes who protect the family and women from danger. It was probably an accident but I look at that new movie he’s doing where people get drafted to fight aliens and he’s gotta protect his family and idk.

That has more to do with the fact that he became a bankable star from a Marvel franchise and most blockbuster movies that those type of actors are cast in are generally lovely and jingoistic

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

trust me the world is not missing the next great actor i mean being better than chris pratt is a wicked low bar to clear

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I just think that's where the money is. Being the lead in a big blockbuster type action movie is always going to pay more than whatever else he may be offered, and not every role is going to be as perfectly suited for him as Starlord. Regardless of politics I have a hard time imagining that his agent is telling him to turn down something like Jurassic World or a big budget sci-fi starring Jennifer Lawrence.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe. Dude just got weird in my eyes post GOTG and I tried to defend him but I just flat out don’t know any more. I don’t hate the guy or wish him harm, I just don’t see the actor that I liked any more. I follow him on Instagram and his posts are all patriotic and not nearly as fun as they were like 8 years ago.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, taking the opportunity to be a leading man is probably just about money and ego. Its not like its an opportunity that presents itself to many.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Social media presence is a totally different thing, I agree he probably tightened that up and became much less funny on there because of his higher profile and also the poo poo he took when it initially came out that he's a chud.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I only watch movies where the producer is known to be a bad person

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Given the average Hollywood producer's conduct, that probably doesn't limit your options too much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

Given the average Hollywood producer's conduct, that probably doesn't limit your options too much.

Only watch Roger Corman movies. There you go, conversation has come full circle.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Explosivo12 posted:

Bwahahah! The amount of butt hurt is strong with this one. You know, it’s possible to be funny and also be conservative right? Would it shock you that throughout all of those parks and rec years, he was also a republican too? Come on man, check your politics and feelings at the door with entertainment. Do you also not watch Polanski movies? How about the film Jeepers Creepers? Sometimes you’ve just got to separate the art from the artist. Or you can continue on with the cancellation of all things contrary to your narrow view of the world. Your choice.

lol imagine going this hard on behalf of Chris Pratt

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

lol imagine going this hard on behalf of Chris Pratt

I'm more offended by someone apparently lurking the thread that hard but never posting. We always need more posts!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

My mind must have just glossed over "how about the film Jeepers Creepers" haha

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if we cant post bad opinions itt none of us would be allowed to post at all

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Wasn't that the old thread motto? Everyone's allowed to have one bad opinion.

Mine is that 28 Days Later isn't all that good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

My mind must have just glossed over "how about the film Jeepers Creepers" haha

Ah yes, a film that as we all know is celebrated and vigorously defended in this thread, Jeepers Creepers.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Bad opinions are allowed but I don't really know what that's like, all of my opinions are good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

yeah its not good bc its filmed on digital and you can barely watch the thing without getting a headache

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

yeah its not good bc its filmed on digital and you can barely watch the thing without getting a headache

I’m usually not too picky about that sort of thing but I rewatched it a few years ago and definitely noticed how dated it looked because of that early oughts digital.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

That's probably my main issue. I do think the early digital style can work if you consciously employ it though. Part of what makes Inland Empire so disquieting is how "off" everything looks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's a shame though because there's a lot of shots in the first act of 28 Days Later that would be absolutely beautiful to see in 1080p or 4k if it wasn't held back by the early digital photography.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

You guys are nuts, 28 days later absolutely employs that aesthetic for particular purpose. take for example the shots of fields of flowers and windmills as they drive through the countryside that blur out to impressionist swathes of color, or the way the exploding gas station is shot to resemble security/cell phone footage of terror bombings. You're basically complaining about film grain

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You're not wrong it's just not an aesthetic that I personally like. Never did, even when the movie came out.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

do ppl really throw on 28 days later and go "wow the grain is reminiscent of impressionist colors" and im just a dummy or is this some intellectual online posturing poo poo i genuinely can never figure this out

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes people look deep into art. It’s why it’s art

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

so a Serbian Film IS a metaphor for social and economic woes in Serbia? :thunk:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

do ppl really throw on 28 days later and go "wow the grain is reminiscent of impressionist colors" and im just a dummy or is this some intellectual online posturing poo poo i genuinely can never figure this out

Do u know what subforum this is?!?!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There was a practical purpose for using those cameras of course, they only had very limited windows of time when the streets were going to be closed down for shooting, and full camera rigs weren't practical for that. That doesn't mean Boyle wasn't thinking about the format he was shooting in and using it to it's upmost creativity though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

so a Serbian Film IS a metaphor for social and economic woes in Serbia? :thunk:

I mean, yeah. Whether it's a good or well-executed metaphor is up for debate of course.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

Yes. That's why I bought a digital recorder way back when after seeing 28 Days Later in a theater. Always wanted to recreate a shot like that. poo poo was cool as hell and seeing that movie at 13 years old I was quite impressionable.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

if the bar for intellectual online posturing is “cinematography is worth discussion” then that’s a really low bar to set. I’m all for judging movies based on amount of head explosions but I’m ok discussing other stuff too

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

drat youre old

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

no i wasnt complaining about the observation i just genuinely dont think of stuff like that i gotta study some art

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

no i wasnt complaining about the observation i just genuinely dont think of stuff like that i gotta study some art

in the end, there is no wrong way to watch a movie

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Unless it's on an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hes not wrong. i watch tv on my phone but save movies for my tv no pun intended