Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Help me make this crucial decision, spook-a-dudes

https://twitter.com/benito_cereno/status/1418722504412213257

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

The original was kinda rear end.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Blood Red Sky is clumsy and uneven in it's execution but it motherfuckin' goes for it. I like it and would watch it again.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Finished Fear Street tonight and I’m confused about something. So killing Sheriff Goode ended the curse, but the implication there is that his brother, who was both older and was the mayor so more powerful, was totally uninvolved? I’m not sure I get that bit

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There is that scene in part one where the sheriff leaves a note reading “it’s happening again” at someone’s house, I guess meant to be a fakeout where we assume it’s Gillian Jacobs’ house, but I guess it would have to be the mayor’s house in light of part three? I don’t know who else would make sense as the recipient of a note like that, I guess the subject being “some kids are trying to ruin our satanic pact again like in the 70s.”

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

They really loving nailed the landing on fear street part 3.

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

Retro Futurist posted:

Finished Fear Street tonight and I’m confused about something. So killing Sheriff Goode ended the curse, but the implication there is that his brother, who was both older and was the mayor so more powerful, was totally uninvolved? I’m not sure I get that bit

The way I saw it was that the older brother, Will, was a fuckboy by the time he was old enough to be let in on the deal, while Nick was "the responsible child", so their father was grooming Nick to be the one that takes over. Will only becomes mayor because of what Nick is doing with his devil stuff, and also likely helped by Nick having him be the one that drives the rest of the people at Camp Nightwing to safety in 1978. Nick becomes sheriff both because their dad was sheriff and he was groomed to be it from a young age, and because of devil stuff their father and him both did. Mayor Will is more of a figurehead.

Re: the note, I do think Nick gave it to C. Burman. The house he drops it at is the same house front we see for her and it really doesn't look like any of the huge Sunnyvale houses that we see later. You're right, though, it's left pretty vague, and I think it was put there more to make people have any reason at all to think the sheriff wasn't evil, as if he were trying to reach out to Ziggy to warn her or get her help. Most likely, he was either trying to use the note to scare her into hiding even harder, either because he actually does still like her and wants her on even higher alert so she doesn't get hurt, or because scaring her pre-emotively may help make sure she stays the hell out of things, since she knows more about the curse than anyone but him and could work with the kids to end it. Or both.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, everything looks kinda lame standing alone under bright lights. You see the seams. Like I've never made a movie monster suit but I've done set decoration and holiday decorations and graphic design and other stuff. And everything looks a little off isolated unless you have the capacity to visualize the finished combination of elements. Its that combination that makes magic.

I've been dipping my toes into 3D modeling/rendering for a project, and in order to get the camera moves down I have all the virtual lights hidden. I got them working, previewed it, then lamented that it all looked terrible and questioned my entire approach. Then I did a render with the lighting on and wowza did it look vastly cooler and I got pumped about the project again.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Blood Red Sky is clumsy and uneven in it's execution but it motherfuckin' goes for it. I like it and would watch it again.

I think I'd love a condensed, 90-100 minute version. Over two hours (counting credits) and I felt it even with the second half being solid

Went into this completely blind, not even hearing about the cast. Was happily surprised to see Dominic Purcell :unsmith:

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Just got Shudder and I wanna shotgun a ton of stuff before my trial period ends. Any recs?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

I think I'd love a condensed, 90-100 minute version. Over two hours (counting credits) and I felt it even with the second half being solid

Went into this completely blind, not even hearing about the cast. Was happily surprised to see Dominic Purcell :unsmith:

Yeah it did have a sense that it just kept going. There is some awesome stuff in there but I wonder if it could've been cut down a bit. I did really enjoy the flashback stuff, though I'd almost prefer it in its own movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Doc Fission posted:

Just got Shudder and I wanna shotgun a ton of stuff before my trial period ends. Any recs?

Dearest Sister
Black Belly of the Tarantula
Beyond the Door
Body Bags
Class of 1984
Day of the Beast
Perdita Durango
Hell Comes to Frogtown
Knife + Heart
Messiah of Evil
Near Dark
Piranha
Society
Stage Fright: Aquarius
Terror Train
The Love Witch
The Stepfather
Thir13en Ghosts
Tourist Trap

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Wolf House Wolf House Wolf House

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

married but discreet posted:

Wolf House Wolf House Wolf House

thanks for reminding me I still need to watch this one

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Yeah, Wolf House is amazing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bad Ben 1-8

Well, just watch one of them and you’ll get the entire experience.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I saw Old last night, and I thought it was pretty good. It's kind of clunky with exposition, but nothing that totally ruins the movie.

The ending dragged a bit, but I thought the twist was a good spin on why these people were lured there by the hotel, even if I kind of wish it was left ambiguous.

I was kinda expecting a big undo button to be hit, and I'm glad it wasn't.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Doc Fission posted:

Lots of the Shudder Originals are really excellent (and this list isn’t counting Exclusives like Psycho Goreman, there are plenty of those that are great too). My top picks would be:

Revenge
Host
La Llorana
Blood Quantum
Horror Noire
The Mortuary Collection
Caveat
Fried Barry
Anything for Jackson
Leap of Faith: William Friedkin on The Exorcist

Roughly in that order

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/HorrorDeaths/status/1419052910198104068?s=19

Someone replied this was on their Horror Kill Mount Rushmore. You gotta put NoES 4 roach motel, Psycho shower and then what's your #4?

For me it might be Resident Evil laser room

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think pyramid head ripping that lady’s skin off is pretty underrated

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ho1kC Fish Man kill

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The chainsaw through the head in Evil Dead 2013.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s very good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lumbermouth posted:

ooh great choice

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does Saw 2 needle pit count even tho nobody dies from it iirc

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

Doc Fission posted:

Let Us Prey
Color Out of Space
3 From Hell
Mayhem
Train to Busan
Ginger Snaps
Phenomena
Time Lapse
Chopping Mall
One Cut of the Dead
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
Luz: The Flower of Evil
Luz
Scream, Queen!
The McPherson Tape

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Kvlt! posted:

ooh great choice

It’s one of the most cathartic moments I can remember in horror movies. Mia has been through the ringer over that entire weekend and that primal loving scream while blood flies everywhere is incredible.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Casimir Radon posted:

Finished reading The Keep today. It was pretty good. The early parts of the book were kind of Deja Vu because I’d already seen the movie, and it just felt like a more fleshed out version of that. The middle made more sense due to details that were either cut or would never have made it into the movie. By the end the whole thing made a lot more sense. Not sure about the wisdom of backloading so much of the explanation into the last few chapters of the book though. I could see a lot of people getting bored in the middle by thinking it was a bog standard vampire story.

I know this was a couple pages back, but I just wanted to say I first read this about 20 years ago and I loved the abrupt turn from vampire story to cosmic horror/fantasy.

If you liked it, you should seek out the rest of the books in the series, The Adversary Cycle. The first three books are unrelated (The Keep, The Tomb, The Touch) and then F. Paul Wilson decided to tie everything together with the last three (Reborn, Reprisal and Nightworld - on the page I linked here, it looks like he prefers a different order to how they were originally published,). The first three are good, Reborn and Reprisal are slow but have their moments, but Nightworld is one of my favorite apocalyptic horror/fantasy novels I've ever read. It's clunky as hell but it's fun. He's apparently expanded on these six since then (a bunch of Repairman Jack novels that take place before Nightworld and a lot of other stories expanding the universe) but I haven't read any of those.

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Someone replied this was on their Horror Kill Mount Rushmore. You gotta put NoES 4 roach motel, Psycho shower and then what's your #4?

Man, that's difficult. Nurse in the hallway from Exorcist 3 is pretty tempting, but so is the sleeping bag kill from F13th Part 7, Olga's death in the Suspiria remake, and the vomiting out her guts scene in City of the Living Dead.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The City of the Dead eye kill

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

cake bunny posted:

Man, that's difficult. Nurse in the hallway from Exorcist 3 is pretty tempting, but so is the sleeping bag kill from F13th Part 7, Olga's death in the Suspiria remake, and the vomiting out her guts scene in City of the Living Dead.

The dude getting stabbed so hard in the dick that he catches fire from CotLD is also pretty great.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Goat I hope you are paying attention for next year's bracketology

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hard to narrow down a list but four i'd be okay seeing up there:

kane in alien
hunt's vivisection in bone tomahawk
doc copper defibrilation in the thing
howie in the wicker man

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The kills at the end of Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead where zombies tear dudes’ torsos apart and pull their intestines out while they scream that seemed pretty fresh to me when I saw them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

New mondo poster. I wish it was numbered. Only 175 were made lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The kills at the end of Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead where zombies tear dudes’ torsos apart and pull their intestines out while they scream that seemed pretty fresh to me when I saw them.

Choke on em!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I think pyramid head ripping that lady’s skin off is pretty underrated

I remember gasping in shock in the theater. It's so loving crazy and so out of nowhere. Although, in hindsight, that's probably not how skin works at all 🤔

Lumbermouth posted:

God that movie was so much better than it had any right to be. So many incredible scenes in it.

As for an underappreciated scene that I love, I truly feel that the best (and possibly only good) scene in the most recent Hellboy was the one where Hell opens up and some loving Book-of-Revelation-rear end demons crawl out and produce 30 seconds of a Beksinski painting loving a Bosch painting by way of Godzilla.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My latest project sorta kinda final

Necromancy Tutorial: Raising a Draugur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARSAtHSgNe4
unless I´m missing some very obvious flaw from having looked at it way too much the last few months.

Unlisted because I'm sending it into film festivals and some of them require the project to not have been publicly available before it's screened.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Shrecknet posted:

https://twitter.com/HorrorDeaths/status/1419052910198104068?s=19

The marionette kill from NoES 3 is the best kill from that franchise

But hm... What was that movie where someone gets their head exploded with a basketball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Old was okay. Nicely shot and a couple of good horror moments but sometimes clunky dialogue. It’s also not subtle in any way, but I recognize this thread is not exactly a subtlety crowd. I’d probably rate it like 2.5 or 3 out of 5.

I saw the Malignant trailer ahead of it which was pretty cool, I guess. I saw a headline saying it was inspired by giallo, which does not show AT ALL in the trailer. I was hoping to see the Demonic trailer too but no dice. (Yes, I realize I could just watch it on YouTube via this very thread)