Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw that this year after watching another movie from the same director that I got super obsessed with.

So now I’m obsessed with both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

King Vidiot posted:

But like, I can't name a single movie that starts with just the number 2 besides 2 Fast 2 Furious, and that might be stretching the definition of "horror". Just a bit.

Two Evil Eyes!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Basebf555 posted:

Check out The Void if you want something that's similar but imo better.

Yeah I really enjoyed The Void! Anything else in that vein I might enjoy?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Levantine posted:

Yeah I really enjoyed The Void! Anything else in that vein I might enjoy?

In The Mouth of Madness, Baskin, and maybe As Above So Below

From Beyond! Event Horizon, The Resurrected, Prince of Darkness

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 4, 2021

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Franchescanado posted:

In The Mouth of Madness, Baskin, and maybe As Above So Below

From Beyond! Event Horizon, The Resurrected

drat, I've seen all of those but The Resurrected. I'll have to peep that. Thanks for that!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I saw that this year after watching another movie from the same director that I got super obsessed with.

So now I’m obsessed with both

Did you watch the short Astron-6 did for ABCs of Death 2? W is for Wish? As soon as they did the scene on PG’s home world, I knew that short must have also been them- very similar look.

One of the few worthwhile things from that mostly trash anthology series.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Levantine posted:

drat, I've seen all of those but The Resurrected. I'll have to peep that. Thanks for that!

The Resurrected is more a Lovecraftian mystery rather than a siege/invasion flick with a cult and Lovecraftian monsters.

Stuart Gordon's Dagon might also work for you. Same with The Omega Man (more action than horror, but it's cloaked cult members attacking the hero). And The Devil Rides Out is a Hammer horror about a cult trying to summon an evil deity with Christopher Lee.

The Void is pretty unique, in that it's basically Assault on Precinct 13 mixed with Lovecraftian cults, and there really isn't an easy thing to point to that mixes those same things. People need to go easier on The Void! It's a fine movie!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Prince of Darkness has similarities to The Void as well. It seems like as big an influence on it as The Thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WeaponX posted:

Did you watch the short Astron-6 did for ABCs of Death 2? W is for Wish? As soon as they did the scene on PG’s home world, I knew that short must have also been them- very similar look.

One of the few worthwhile things from that mostly trash anthology series.

Oh god I may have...I think I need to revisit that. Did it have nerf guns and poo poo?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nope never mind I know what that one was haha.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Oh god I may have...I think I need to revisit that. Did it have nerf guns and poo poo?

He-Man. That’s all I’ll say

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

loving loved The Void. It does not waste your time before poo poo kicks into high gear and never slows down again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm a loving huge fan of The Resurrected. So I'll go to bat for that film at any chance I get. Love the setting , love the special effects, love the actors. Give me more Lovecraftian detective stories.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

"I'm not old, I'm not old", I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into a film snob.

gey muckle mowser posted:

imo anyone who posts that they are in the middle of watching a movie should get a 2 hour probation so they can go finish the drat thing :colbert:

Now that's the kind of autocracy I can get behind.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Thanks for all the recommendations. I have seen literally all of them other than The Resurrected so I may hit that up tonight. I've seen The Void several times and really enjoy it. I know opinions on it are mixed but I really like how dreamlike it feels. The Prince of Darkness is similar and is near The Thing for me for favorite John Carpenter flick.

I liked the Empty Man and Caveat for similar reasons though they are generally not much like any of those movies other than tone, IMO.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Prince of Darkness has similarities to The Void as well. It seems like as big an influence on it as The Thing.

It’s probably my favorite movie that I’ve discovered during the October Challenge. Both it and The Void have a real serious “oh poo poo something is VERY wrong here” vibe.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Prince of Darkness being a sci-fi movie where all the scientists realise they know nothing is terrific

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Im working my way through this list https://boxd.it/cct4u of movies I’ve seen recommended in this thread.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

Prince of Darkness being a sci-fi movie where all the scientists realise they know nothing is terrific

That’s why it’s the best horror movie about grad school

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Reminder that The Void absolutely sucked, if you ask me. So temper your expectations when watching, might improve your chances of having a good time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Void indeed sucked but it has a good heart so it's hard to hate on it. It's certainly not good, but it would be a really solid college 24 hour film festival entry.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Prince of Darkness is my least favorite Carpenter movie, but the dream sequences are really well done and some of the creepiest things I’ve seen in a movie.

I haven’t seen Ghosts of Mars at all, and only a little bit of Village of the Damned.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pillowpants posted:

Im working my way through this list https://boxd.it/cct4u of movies I’ve seen recommended in this thread.

Ha, Sick For Toys made the list. I'm sorry for that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Prince of Darkness is my least favorite Carpenter movie, but the dream sequences are really well done and some of the creepiest things I’ve seen in a movie.

I haven’t seen Ghosts of Mars at all, and only a little bit of Village of the Damned.

Ghost of Mars was just the sequel to Atrack on Precinct 13 just like Escape LA, and the same relative quality.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Prince of Darkness is like one of my favorite Carpenter films. I love it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Darko posted:

Ghost of Mars was just the sequel to Atrack on Precinct 13 just like Escape LA, and the same relative quality.

Apparently Ghost of Mars started as Escape from Mars and it makes a lot more sense if you realized Desolation Williams begins life as Snake Plissken.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Prince of Darkness might be in the lower half of the list if I ranked all the Carpenter movies but I like it a lot. Dudes just got a really fun filmography.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Darko posted:

I should probably give it a shot if for nothing else than shits and giggles. Escape from L.A. isn’t good by any means, but it has some good ideas. The evil president unambiguously being Jerry Falwell, the Surgeon General of LA, a joke about Euro-Disney bankrupting the company, a girl being brainwashed in CYBERSPACE, and the Tracer Tong ending of Deus Ex 4 years before the game came out.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ghosts of Mars is one of the messiest films I've ever seen but it's charming in how dumb it is. A character in a flashback has a flashback sequence and it's just mindboggling that made it to print. But like most Carpenter movies there's something about it that works for me(even when it doesn't).

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Prince of Darkness owns. the soundtrack just keeps going and going, the characters get caught up in the dream-momentum of the plot and it just throws a hundred different ideas together that (in my opinion) all seem to fit and add to make something really unique. the supernova at the start, bizarre behaviour of the chemicals, them spending essentially three days in this building trapped by homeless people... every part of it is really unnerving and wrong.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I find Ghosts of Mars very silly and very entertaining. A definite recommendation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Drunkboxer posted:

Prince of Darkness might be in the lower half of the list if I ranked all the Carpenter movies but I like it a lot. Dudes just got a really fun filmography.

It's a filmography of legendary quality, too. The article in the latest Total Film that I mentioned has a Top 12 Carpenter movies because they couldn't decide on what to exclude from a Top 10. Carpenter has directed 17 theatrical releases.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I stood on the shoulders of giants and amalgamated an LGBTQ+ theme horror watchlist which has thrown so many titles I really want to see onto my radar, I have too many watchlists on Letterboxd but I really like this top twenty.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Sleepaway camp 2s xfinity description is “sex changed slasher returns as counselor”

Letssss gooo

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

alf_pogs posted:

I avoided watching PoD for a long time because I assumed it was just Carpenter's take on religious horror, like The Exorcist, and I just don't care or find those kinds of movies scary at all. This was the late 80s/early 90s so I couldn't just look up all the spoilers, all I knew was "swirling can of Satan," and it wasn't until 1997 or so before I saw it for the first time.

Was very surprised when I watched it just how wrong I was, and was delighted to find that it was a sci-fi film and instead the religious horror is literally Donald Pleasance's character's horrified realization that everything he took on faith was a lie, the true teachings of Christ was some weird alien/interdimensional/quantum mechanics theory and that the tools to stop the apocalypse were suppressed and forgotten over hundreds of years. That hooked me hard, along with the claustrophobia, tachyon visions from the future and all the other weird phenomena in the movie.

Carpenter has made more iconic films (Halloween) and films I think that are better made overall (The Thing), but PoD, as flawed as it is, will always be his scariest film to me, one of only a handful of movies to give me recurring nightmares over the last 20 years or so, because it's not afraid to be weird and obtuse. If you get through the scene where the scientists just matter of factly lay down the backbone of the plot Jesus was an alien, Satan was his quantum prisoner, this poo poo's all real and the Bible we know today is the instructions on keeping Satan imprisoned, only it got run through a 1,000-year-plus telephone game and the words are nothing now but parables and rhetoric and not think "holy poo poo this sounds awesome," but instead "this sounds silly as hell," then yeah, I can totally get why you wouldn't like the movie.

alf_pogs posted:

every part of it is really unnerving and wrong.

yes, this

Also it has some of his most badass music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvz4MDnTr_s

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 5, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Prince of Darkness is to The Stone Tape what Assault on Precinct 13 is to Rio Bravo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stone Tape is perfect because one of my deepest fears is 70s shot-on-video synth-scored British spooky television. Just that whole Dr. Who wobbly sets and weird trails left by candles and flashlights thing left a deep imprint on my soul from tuning in to PBS for Newton’s Apple a few minutes early on Saturday afternoon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Reminder I liked the void so I enjoyed it

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Prince of Darkness may not be Carpenter’s best but it’s my favorite. A good dream sequence always hooks me. The only fault of that movie is the lame lead actor. It’s such a interesting, and unsettling, concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

WeaponX posted:

Prince of Darkness may not be Carpenter’s best but it’s my favorite. A good dream sequence always hooks me. The only fault of that movie is the lame lead actor. It’s such a interesting, and unsettling, concept.

he's a bit of a dud but at least the focus is shared enough around that it feels like the leads are shared between him, Lisa Blount and Donald Pleasance