Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

https://www.ihorror.com/elvira-busts-back-into-primetime-with-new-shudder-special/

Here's the article. It's City of the Dead, Messiah of Evil, House on Haunted Hill, and of course Elvira Mistress of the Dark

loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

gey muckle mowser posted:

It's a great movie, also to bring it back to Rob Zombie chat the "superstition, fear, and jealousy" sample from the beginning of Dragula is from City of the Dead

Oh that movie. I was confusing it in my head with City of the Living Dead, which seemed a bit too extreme for an Elvira movie.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Well poo poo I'm down for a new (to me) Christopher Lee film, plus no reason to hold back on that rewatch now.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

https://www.ihorror.com/elvira-busts-back-into-primetime-with-new-shudder-special/

Here's the article. It's City of the Dead, Messiah of Evil, House on Haunted Hill, and of course Elvira Mistress of the Dark

That’s a really fun lineup

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Based on the timing of how the Joe Bob specials get uploaded to Shudder's Prime add-on channel, I'll probably be able to watch the Elvira special sometime around October 1st so that'll be perfect.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
100% in for Messiah of Evil

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Don't Breathe 2 was a massive waste of $20. Not worth $0, not worth the time it takes to watch it. Just a totally unnecessary and gross movie, gross in a thematic unpleasant sense not gross in a cool gore sense. Shame because I really liked the first one.
I want to rant a little about it, even though it's probably not a movie worth ranting about. The first one was such a solid film.

The protagonists in the first one have a backstory. It might be quickly told, but we have investment in the characters by the time they're in danger. Blind Man is a surprise and his gradually revealed motivation and backstory keeps your jaw dropping. The villains in 2 are paper thin, and any surprise about their motivation is ruined by the early pan over the news story. As we expose that they're after Phoenix' heart, it's more of a slightly worse detail than "omg he has that girl pregante". Blind Man is understandable in his defense of his home: we first think he's defending a lot of money, but find out he's really defending his daughter-to-be. There's wonderful misdirection when Money yells at him that they know what he has in the basement. Contrast that with the villains in 2: bad drug dealers and organ thieves. Oh, that guy who just got killed is the baddest guys brother. If they let Josephine die, they can't make meth anymore :sigh: The stakes just aren't as high.

The filmmakers keep some great elements of the first one. The mysterious opening moment. There are long "film school" shots. There's a scene where someone's stuck on a cracking glass roof. The villains have a "deeper evil" reveal in the third act.

There are some pieces they bring along but don't do as well: they pan over elements that foreshadow further violence, but it's all very straightforward. When we see a can of explosive gas, we can pretty much find out what happens - almost immediately. In the first film, when we see a bell on the basement door, we have no idea why it's there. We see the thumbtack on the stairs a whole act before it's put in play. Tense!

Then there are elements that I don't know why you wouldn't bring to the sequel: the first had such an inventive score (vignette about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RViJL8mVjDM). DB2 has just a score. The blackout scene isn't really repeated -- they do an insecticide fog scene, but it's not nearly as amazing. Decaying Detroit is almost a character in the first one, where this one seems to just be "generic dystopian city".

Lastly, just dumb stuff: the dog comes around like the crowd in Rocky IV. The helpful plant seller's body gets moved to Blind Man's house for no good reason, just so he can find it. Villains wander out of the shot and cease to exist until it's their turn to attack again. There are four of them attacking the house but mostly seem to fight Blind Man one at a time. If your antihero is blind, maybe don't have him throw a hammer across the room into someone's head and kill them, or Wyatt Earp three bad guys.

I couldn't hear the dialog, either. Just muffled and badly mixed. Blind Man is one of the best, wildest horror villains created in the last few years. It's sad they had to do him dirty like this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've dragged my feet on watching Mistress of the Dark for years. I can't imagine a better way to watch it than with Elvira horror-hosting it.

The only bummer about the whole affair is that I watched all of the other 3 movies within the past few months and don't want to jump straight back into them, so I'll have to wait a while to catch the other episodes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I've dragged my feet on watching Mistress of the Dark for years. I can't imagine a better way to watch it than with Elvira horror-hosting it.

i only got around to it a few years ago but it's really great. it's like a proto-Wayne's World.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I watched Jakob's Wife on Shudder last night and it's a solidly OK vampire movie. A step up from the director's previous film Girl on the Third Floor and most of that is due to Barbara Crampton and Larry Fessenden in the lead roles. Some good ideas and it gets quite bloody at times but the tone is inconsistent. It's entertaining enough (after a slow first act) and worth checking out if you like the cast and/or vampire movies but it falls short of being more than decent.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I watched Jakob's Wife on Shudder last night and it's a solidly OK vampire movie. A step up from the director's previous film Girl on the Third Floor and most of that is due to Barbara Crampton and Larry Fessenden in the lead roles. Some good ideas and it gets quite bloody at times but the tone is inconsistent. It's entertaining enough (after a slow first act) and worth checking out if you like the cast and/or vampire movies but it falls short of being more than decent.

I think I probably liked it a bit better than you but I totally agree that the two leads carry it. I need to dig into Fessenden’s filmography more.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

I think I probably liked it a bit better than you but I totally agree that the two leads carry it. I need to dig into Fessenden’s filmography more.

I haven't seen everything he's done but Wendigo (2001) and Depraved (2019) are two of his films I'd recommend, and he's produced a whole lot of excellent indie horror films over the years as well.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I haven't seen everything he's done but Wendigo (2001) and Depraved (2019) are two of his films I'd recommend, and he's produced a whole lot of excellent indie horror films over the years as well.

I’ve seen Wendigo and vaguely recall liking it. Have you (or anyone) seen Habit? Fessenden was on Joe Dante’s podcast recently and they kept bringing that one up.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

I’ve seen Wendigo and vaguely recall liking it. Have you (or anyone) seen Habit? Fessenden was on Joe Dante’s podcast recently and they kept bringing that one up.

I have not, I'll have to keep an eye out for it

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Drunkboxer posted:

It was a fun psychological Vampire indie-movie thriller. Been years since I've seen it and my muddled old-person brain keeps mixing up parts of it with Nadja (since I saw both at my local indie theater around the same time) but I remember liking, not loving it.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Just got back from seeing Malignant finally, fun as poo poo, had a great time. Now I’ve got to go back and catch up on like fifteen pages of spoilered discussion from last week

The real question, though, is who is the hero in here that will be the first to do a Malignant Halloween costume

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've been watching the Dead Meat Recounts of the Friday the 13th series and was there a VW Beetle in every one of the first six films?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished The Hunger. Such a good looking film. Finale gives John Woo a run for his money in dove use though

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm technically an Award Winning Filmmaker now

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Congrats! That rules

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

gently caress yeah, congratulations!!!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Malignant had very strong Maniac Cop II energy at the end. It sure could have been shorter but it was an OK time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FreudianSlippers posted:

!!!!! gently caress yes!!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Paranormal Activity is back!

https://youtu.be/tcRXU2rS2cA

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

ready or not (2019) blind watch. it was alright, nothing exciting, nothing super original either after 2011's you're next.

2/5

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/ddoniolvalcroze/status/1438875093195640835?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

So it's only partially found footage? That kinda sucks, a non-found footage Paranormal Activity is just Hereditary.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Spermanent Record posted:

Stayed up late to watch Prisoners of The Ghostland last night, figuring it would be worth feeling tired for the next day.

Boy do I regret that.
I just watched this and it wasn't my thing. It was my first exposure to Sion Sono, so maybe he has a style that a lot of people like? I don't know, but I didn't like this. I'm a big fan of Nic Cage and crazy movies (and especially Nic Cage in crazy movies), and I guess this is crazy in a way but not one I found appealing. Cage doesn't give a particularly memorable performance here, either, apart from saying stuff like "I am radioactive." and screaming "TESTICLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!"

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Hmm

I guess they figured there's only so much they can do with the mythology they've built while keeping it found footage, so they had to ditch one or the other and decided to keep the mythology.

I don't know if that's the right or the wrong way to go here. Paranormal Activity without the mythology is just another one of the dozens of PA ripoffs at this point, so I get not wanting to go that route, and trying to build the mythology entirely on people constantly filming themselves was stretched well beyond its breaking point a few movies ago as it is, but I just can't imagine people being excited about a PA movie that abandons the thing that made it popular in the first place.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I respect the basic idea that they want to do some storytelling without the limitations of the found footage format, and after like 6 films you can't say they didn't try and milk everything they could out of that format.

But also I watched (and largely enjoyed) all those films and I'm really not sure there's enough meat or story there to justify this without the gimmick.

On the other other hand, I mean... witch cult trying to bring demons into the world and stealing babies? I don't hate that. I've watched lesser movies for stuff like that.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Rageaholic posted:

I just watched this and it wasn't my thing. It was my first exposure to Sion Sono, so maybe he has a style that a lot of people like? I don't know, but I didn't like this.

Watch Suicide Club and Why Don't You Play In Hell? The latter isn't horror, but it's great, and Suicide Club gets pretty ridiculous in a good way.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I definitely recommend Sion Sono films Cold Fish, The Forest of Love, and Why Don't You Play in Hell?

I haven't seen any other ones of his (I keep hearing great things about Tag and Suicide Club, and I blind-bought Tokyo Tribe but haven't gotten around to it)

I think he's my fav currently-living non-Miike international director just by volume at this point of stuff I've seen and loved?

Cold Fish, and Forest of Love are all definitely horror

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 18, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
On to Saw V last night, it might be worse than Saw II but it's a wash. Saw II was boring, Saw V was irritating with all the at-the-time trendy sped-up footage with loud screeching on the soundtrack to denote something scary going on. If you have to fall back on that to keep the audience from going to sleep, maybe make a movie that doesn't put them to sleep? Definitely Saw at its dumbest so far, where characters do poo poo they didn't at all need to do or put into situations that would just straight up kill them but it's played like they could've survived somehow because something-something "the human body is surprisingly durable".

Current rank: Who cares let's just get this poo poo over with, jeez. Saw > IV > III > II > V Or maybe I could put V above II because it does start with a guy with white nationalist tats getting sawn in half, and ends with a bunch of corrupt city officials killing each other and themselves. That's gotta count for something.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I know it’s a thread favorite so I’m not saying anything surprising here but Ms. 45 is loving incredible. I was expecting something cheaper feeling I guess, but it’s really a beautiful film. Like a lot of people rape revenge isn’t exactly my favorite genre and I was definitely not expecting a guy like Ferrara to handle that kind of subject matter so well.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I respect the basic idea that they want to do some storytelling without the limitations of the found footage format, and after like 6 films you can't say they didn't try and milk everything they could out of that format.

The last film had time-travelling cameras that could see ghosts. They were clearly willing to go beyond the typical limitations of the format.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm gonna be watching a shitload in october :getin:

Also Last Night In Soho and Antlers if I can safely watch them (IE at home; not going to a cinema for a while yet)

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 18, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

missing a lot of RZ there

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can confirm that Prisoners of The Ghostland sucked.

Anyone else doing Fantastic Fest @ Home? The lineup is pretty good from what I've heard of, and you get a 48 hour window to watch stuff. Mostly I'm there for Mad God and After Blue.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I ordered a bunch of horror blu-ray's and the person I bought them from included a blu-ray of Ryan Nicholson's Hangar for free.

I had never heard of it before so I decided to pop it in.

My friends let me tell you, this is not only the most worthless horror movie I have ever seen, it is the most worthless movie I have ever seen. It is the only movie I have shut off early because it was so gross, and I don't mean gross as in a gory/violent, just gross as in absolutely tasteless. The special FX are bad, the acting is atrocious, the script is offensive in a completely tasteless and unfunny way. I consider myself someone who always seeks out the shocking/extreme end of the horror genre, and this is neither; it's the cinematic equivalent of someone saying a slur and thinking it's humor. Avoid at ALL costs, in fact just avoid everything with Ryan Nicholson's name on it. A Lucifer Valentine-tier scumbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chris James 2 posted:

I definitely recommend Sion Sono films Tokyo Gore Police, Cold Fish, The Forest of Love, and Why Don't You Play in Hell?

I haven't seen any other ones of his (I keep hearing great things about Tag and Suicide Club, and I blind-bought Tokyo Tribe but haven't gotten around to it)

I think he's my fav currently-living non-Miike international director just by volume at this point of stuff I've seen and loved?

TGP, Cold Fish, and Forest of Love are all definitely horror. Tokyo Gore Police is insane
Wait, he made Tokyo Gore Police? Because I've seen that one multiple times and love it. But IMDB has a different director listed for that one.