Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Rob Zombie's Dune starring Sheri as the Lady Jessica and Bill Moseley as Shai Hulud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Kvlt! posted:

Rob Zombie's Dune starring Sheri as the Lady Jessica and Bill Moseley as Shai Hulud

Rob Zombie's AVATAR starring The Crypt Keeper puppets instead of blue CGI alien things.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I dug the new candyman a whole lot

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

Spaced Invaders is a good Halloween trash movie.

Ok I’ll leave sorry to bother you

I haven't thought about that movie in some time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think a good double feature would be Spaced Invaders and then Killer Klowns because royal dano plays the exact same character in both and dies in KK so it’s almost like a sequel lol

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I watched a movie randomly last night called Magic Magic. I dont know if its considered horror but I enjoyed it. Michael Cera played a creep exactly as convincing as I knew he could.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is that Eli Roth history of horror thing any good?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's not as bad as In Search of Darkness, but it doesn't offer much for anyone already familiar with horror.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I thought The Core on Shudder was pretty good as a quasi-history of horror/ "late night show" about horror stuff.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Finally watched Malignant, everyone who said it was a good movie was right. It's the best kind of insane.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is that Eli Roth history of horror thing any good?

I hope not, I can't stand to even look at him. Sucks he's doing a show I'd be interested in if he wasn't involved.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually think its like a 10 year old show from AMC.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RobbZombae posted:

I hope not, I can't stand to even look at him. Sucks he's doing a show I'd be interested in if he wasn't involved.

The Evolution of Horror is a good podcast, but they haven't made any new episodes since COVID happened.

Luckily there's a huge back catalog, and Eli Roth is not involved.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"Okay, so what if the Matrix, but like, backwards?!"

Quote from the makers of Malignant, probably.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

The Evolution of Horror is a good podcast, but they haven't made any new episodes since COVID happened.

Huh? They've consistently been releasing episodes. Their most recent one was on Alien ripoffs from last week.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

Huh? They've consistently been releasing episodes. Their most recent one was on Alien ripoffs from last week.

Thanks for that, somehow it appears that my subscription hadn't been updating.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Vincent Price power rankings:

1) Masque of the Red Death
2) The Tingler
3) Witchfinder General
4) House of Wax
5) Abominable Dr Phibes

Then basically all the other Corman Poes, House on Haunted Hill, The Fly, and I dunno, dark horse, War Gods of the Deep

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you

RobbZombae posted:

Theater of Blood is fantastic! I should rewatch it, it'd be my favourite Price film but House of Usher will never be toppled.

But that's exactly what happens in the movie :confused:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

RobbZombae posted:

Last Man on Earth is great, too.

And I really liked Mad House, his skeleton makeup is bad rear end.

I once bought a friend some chintzy two-bit "mysterious phenomena" book which had a still of Price from this film on the cover. I picked it up from a used book store simply for the amazing cover and then I perused it and found out it was about stuff like the Titanic sinking because of a mummy's curse and thought "yep this is the good poo poo."

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

So for various reasons I've not really been paying much attention to movies for...a long while. But with Halloween around the corner (relatively), I was wondering is there gonna be another challenge this year? Figure it could be a nice impetus again to get me watching things, and maybe catch up with some stuff I've missed out on.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

alansmithee posted:

So for various reasons I've not really been paying much attention to movies for...a long while. But with Halloween around the corner (relatively), I was wondering is there gonna be another challenge this year? Figure it could be a nice impetus again to get me watching things, and maybe catch up with some stuff I've missed out on.

According to Fran, it'll go up around the 29th or 30th. So, middle of next week.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjg4sZlSecg

Halloween Kills baby can't wait

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Not watching that trailer. Just wanna go in as cold as possible.

I’ve been buying blu-rays for next month. So far on the docket:

Raw
The Funhouse
Crawl
Child’s Play 1-7 Boxset
Child’s Play 2019
Halloween UHD
Halloween 3 UHD
Scream UHD
Silence of the Lamb UHD
Demons 1&2 UHD

That’s it for now. Kinda debating hitting up some used media shops and seeing if the flea market is going on still or if it’s closed due to Covid. Really excited to go through all the Child’s Play movies. It’s been awhile since I’ve watched 3-7.

dorium fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 21, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

And they dropped it on Nick Castle's birthday, which is nice.

This is going to be a hell of a different movie, I think. Normally people don't get believed when they say there's a slasher after them. I haven't seen one before where everyone says "loving hell, not that motherfucker again" and reaches for the shotgun.

Also no spoilers, but I had been worried that Kyle Richards was just a gimmick casting. I am now reassured.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Adhesion posted:

But that's exactly what happens in the movie :confused:

:psypop:

Beautiful.

Going by the lack of it on any top 5's y'all need to rewatch it. You can hear his voice in this gif.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Benito Cereno posted:

Vincent Price power rankings:

1) Masque of the Red Death
2) The Tingler
3) Witchfinder General
4) House of Wax
5) Abominable Dr Phibes

Then basically all the other Corman Poes, House on Haunted Hill, The Fly, and I dunno, dark horse, War Gods of the Deep

I’d have a hard time ranking the Price movies. Like Phibes might be my favorite but as others have said you don’t get many lines from Price in that one. He gives a pretty scary performance in Witchfinder General, but it’s not really a spooky film and is more of a historical drama. Masque might be the sweet spot.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Price in Theatre of Blood, monologuing to his loyal army of hobos, is some great stuff

I got his cookbook for Christmas last year, "Cooking Price-Wise". there's some wildly unappealing things in there

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

alf_pogs posted:

Price in Theatre of Blood, monologuing to his loyal army of hobos, is some great stuff

I got his cookbook for Christmas last year, "Cooking Price-Wise". there's some wildly unappealing things in there

Pictures of some of the culinary highlights would be greatly appreciated

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That book sits proudly on my kitchen shelf.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’ve thought about getting his cookbooks but I really only want one and can’t pick from the three he wrote

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

That's why it's an easy pick for best Price. It has everything in it that makes him great.

Insane premise that mixes slasher ideas, elaborate traps, and revenge plots. Every murder is themed around Shakespeare, with Price going all-in on Shakespearean monologues, both soaked in thematic ironies. And then it's got a sense of humor that's sometimes wicked and sometimes goofy as hell. It's a wonderful film and I'm excited to rewatch it this Halloween, hopefully with some friends.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Franchescanado posted:

That's why it's an easy pick for best Price. It has everything in it that makes him great.

Insane premise that mixes slasher ideas, elaborate traps, and revenge plots. Every murder is themed around Shakespeare, with Price going all-in on Shakespearean monologues, both soaked in thematic ironies. And then it's got a sense of humor that's sometimes wicked and sometimes goofy as hell.

It was Jack Hawkins' final movie before he died of throat cancer. He could no longer speak without a voicebox, so all of Solomon Psaltery's lines are ADR by Charles Gray.

Also Vincent Price settled the argument about what the best Price flick is when he said it was Theatre of Blood. You going to argue with Vinny P?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tarnop posted:

Pictures of some of the culinary highlights would be greatly appreciated

the photos don't do justice to the freewheelin' pastel-colored 1970s vibes of the whole thing

the dessert recipes that I've done are pretty delicious and it's fun to see his big mug obvs

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

It was Jack Hawkins' final movie before he died of throat cancer. He could no longer speak without a voicebox, so all of Solomon Psaltery's lines are ADR by Charles Gray.

Also Vincent Price settled the argument about what the best Price flick is when he said it was Theatre of Blood. You going to argue with Vinny P?

I didn't know it was his favorite, but it makes perfect sense why it would be.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Top 3 Price Cookbooks is much more achievable ranking.

I have Come into the Kitchen,which is American faire from different eras and regions. I love the art, and it's not locked into 70s cuisine.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

That's some ugly rear end food, but I won't lie and say that I don't love Crocodile Cucumber and Melon Monster. I'd be proud to put those out on a table at a party.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Beef Stroganoff and the Chocolate Hazelnut Gateau look good.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

What happened to that food

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dorium posted:

What happened to that food

The 1970s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The 70s were a historical lowpoint for culinary aesthetics.