Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'd totally watch Swamp Thing vs. Jason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The new Suspiria has some interesting ideas and visuals but drat does it delve deep into it's own rear end and drag on way longer than it needs to. Oh well, they tried I guess.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Origami Dali posted:

I'd totally watch Swamp Thing vs. Jason.

I've actually been reading the Alan Moore Swamp Thing comics lately, and now I want to see this.

I also have to go back and watch the Wes Craven movie because it was a big part of my childhood.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

s.i.r.e. posted:

The new Suspiria has some interesting ideas and visuals but drat does it delve deep into it's own rear end and drag on way longer than it needs to. Oh well, they tried I guess.

Add it to the list of Good Remakes tho. It’s at least as interesting as the movie it’s loosely based on.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah, I appreciate it did it's own thing and didn't try to just crib poo poo from it's predecessor and make the film feel like a pointless rehash. The ending is batshit and I love it, but I just wish it didn't take forever to get to it. It's strange because the film definitely drags but I can't pinpoint exactly what should have been left out since it isn't really repeating itself. Everything feels "necessary," but it's just too much. I think reduce the poo poo with the doctor or just axe the whole thing because it's not terribly interesting and doesn't have much of a point.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, I appreciate it did it's own thing and didn't try to just crib poo poo from it's predecessor and make the film feel like a pointless rehash. The ending is batshit and I love it, but I just wish it didn't take forever to get to it. It's strange because the film definitely drags but I can't pinpoint exactly what should have been left out since it isn't really repeating itself. Everything feels "necessary," but it's just too much. I think reduce the poo poo with the doctor or just axe the whole thing because it's not terribly interesting and doesn't have much of a point.

We simply didn’t need such an extensive backstory just to be able to emphatize with ‘old man misses his wife’. Especially for the role he winds up playing.

Most importantly, i spent the first half of the movie wondering why the gently caress they put someone in old person make up to play an old person. There are no old actors available? And then at the cafe scene, Tilda Swinton’s acting habits (and voice) just pop to the forefront and I just don’t see the point of taking me out of your movie just to play a pointless bait and switch.

It’s still good, and the soundtrack is good as well.

It’s good.

Kinda blew their horror load a bit early tho.

And terrible use of camera filters.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I read it was to have all main characters be played by women, but I'm not sure what the point of that was if you have a male character? The make-up was pretty well done but not good enough and the first moment "he" was on screen I smelled bullshit and was wondering why there was prosthesis involved. I didn't, however, know it was Swinton until much later. The weirdest part of the character was Swinton not knowing how to walk like a man, let alone an old one. She kept her legs really wide as if the character had huge nuts occupying the space between them, and it looked like someone trying to match the stride of someone old rather than looking like an old dude walking around.

The soundtrack was really good, surprising for me since I can't stand Thom Yorke's solo poo poo, but eh, I don't think I'll ever be watching this again.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i forgot to mention wrt horror anime, The Promised Neverland which is currently airing and on hulu

it's about kids trying to escape from a facility raising them to be food

you can really tell the director is a big horror fan because just about every notable horror shot i've ever seen has been used in these first 9 episodes

it's really good and not bad creepy

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Having Nuspiria be a fake-out psychological drama about an old Jewish guy coming to terms with his wife's death was the best thing

Like, it can not be stressed enough that Nuspiria is not a movie about witchcraft. All the back-biting and drama at the academy is a satire of stuffy, effete liberalism in the midst of revolutionary upheaval.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Finally got around to watching Mandy. Mandy owns. I can see that first hour throwing people off with its pace but if you're in the right mood it's a really hypnotic experience.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

K. Waste posted:

Having Nuspiria be a fake-out psychological drama about an old Jewish guy coming to terms with his wife's death was the best thing

Like, it can not be stressed enough that Nuspiria is not a movie about witchcraft. All the back-biting and drama at the academy is a satire of stuffy, effete liberalism in the midst of revolutionary upheaval.

The idea of it is the best thing. The execution just wasn’t there imo

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Anime is bad and nobody should watch it, but Ghost Hound might be interesting for people who liked Stranger Things.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Man I want to watch people under the stairs but Netflix doesn't have it. I mean, no surprises there, but I loving hate how when you search for something, it gives you alternate suggestions without acknowledging that it doesnt have the movie you want. "Oh you searched for people under the stairs? Uh uh hey why dont you watch tales from the hood 2?"

Just be straight up and tell me no you dont have the movie I want you loving cowards :mad:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Man I want to watch people under the stairs but Netflix doesn't have it. I mean, no surprises there, but I loving hate how when you search for something, it gives you alternate suggestions without acknowledging that it doesnt have the movie you want. "Oh you searched for people under the stairs? Uh uh hey why dont you watch tales from the hood 2?"

Just be straight up and tell me no you dont have the movie I want you loving cowards :mad:

the Netflix algorithm is almost refreshingly bad. Like, Amazon knows because I drunkenly price checked how much getting a giant jar of pickled eggs would be to now send me suggestions for super niche spicy/weird pickles that I would love. I enjoy the warm, safe, comfort of a robot who goes "DUUUUUUUUH YOU WATCHED A HORROR MOVIE? WOULD YOU LIKE TO WATCH THIS CW SHOW ABOUT VAMPIRES FUCKIN WEREWOLVES, THEN????"

No, buddy, that sounds like dog poo poo. But hey thanks for being less creepy.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you watched Evil Bong 10 times last month...would you like to watch........................................................................BIG MOUTH

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Noticed you really liked that As Above, So Below movie. Good movie, good movie...How'd you like to watch MTV's Scream show?

How'd we get there, Netflix, show me your code that jumped from A to B like that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

you watched Evil Bong 10 times last month...would you like to watch........................................................................BIG MOUTH

yes?

also if you want crazy algorithms make a pinterest profile, it's absurd how good that site is at making connections

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i wouldnt that animation style sucks and they talk about sex which i am too young for

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arivia posted:

yes?

also if you want crazy algorithms make a pinterest profile, it's absurd how good that site is at making connections

Pinterest is genuinely a little spooky, yea.

"Hey saw you liked a board of comic book covers and one of Spiderverse. I assume you're a big fan of the short lived special 'Marvel Colors' run of comics?"

"I'm really angry you know that but yes."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gejimayu posted:

Anyone here a fan of horror anime? I've seen and loved Shiki, Another, and Mirai Nikki. I get annoyed when anime starts off horror and then just gets super shonen. Attack on Titan felt that way as well as some others. I know most Goons have a vitriolic relationship with anime, but for the same reason, I'd trust you homies with opinions over ADTRW. Also, not horror, but you all should see Puella Magi Madoka Magicka if you haven't. A magical princess anime that gets into some great light cosmic horror in a relatively quick story (13 episodes at 20 mins a pop I think) that plays with anime tropes and is brilliant in my opinion if youre willing to give it a chance. Made by Gen Urobuchi, a dude that apparently likes psychological horror and puppets. Good poo poo.

horror anime basically falls into three categories

1. weird artsy poo poo
2. horrible things happen to vulnerable, cute characters so you feel bad for them
3. the anime equivalent of Blade and/or Hellboy

with that in mind, the good poo poo:

Mononoke: a wandering medicine seller solves ghost problems on the side. it's a spin-off of the okay but less stylistically interesting Ayakashi

The Hundred Stories (aka Requiem From the Darkness): struggling author in Edo Japan gets mixed up with a group of monsters who hunt other monsters despite their repeated warnings that he shouldn't mess with the supernatural

Kemonozume: the young heir to a secret society of people who kill flesh-eating shapeshifters falls in love with a flesh-eating shapeshifter. one of my all-time favorites. directed by Masaaki Yuasa

content warning: dick trauma, although it happens offscreen and it's actually a drug-induced fake-out. this is my answer to "what are some of your favorite castration scenes?" :v:

Devilman Crybaby: Lucifer comes back to Earth and starts sticking demons in people's bodies so he can kickstart the apocalypse; the protagonist gets stuck with a demon but somehow manages to retain self-control. a really good, transformative adaptation of an extremely influential horror manga. also directed by Masaaki Yuasa

content warning: this one is incredibly violent and sexually explicit. there's always a good reason for it, but it has basically zero boundaries.

Perfect Blue: first movie on this list. successful idol tries to break into show business, but between the pressure of the job and a possibly-supernatural stalker she starts having a mental breakdown.

content warning: sexual violence, mental illness. genuinely frightening and upsetting in a way anime horror usually isn't. there's a scene where a film director pressures the protagonist into filming a simulated rape scene, and she starts perceiving it as real halfway through. Black Swan or Mulholland Drive are good points of comparison. directed by Satoshi Kon

Paranoia Agent: an apparition of a young boy armed with a crooked baseball bat goes around killing people, who have some subtle connection to each other; a detective tries to figure it out, and it might have something to do with an overworked character designer for a media company. hard to explain without spoilers. also directed by Satoshi Kon.

content warning: the ending read to me as kind of misogynistic, but it's a very abstract show and other people have interpreted it differently, and I might not even see it the same way if I watched it again

Parasyte: a race of alien parasites fall to earth in a rain and take over people's brains. protagonist gets a weak one that is only able to take over his hand, and so they're stuck with each other and have to cooperate. pretty heavy green / ecological themes, and the hand parasite is voiced by a VA famous for doing cute girl characters which is hilarious if you've seen any of the other shows she stars in

the following are kind of trashy, tits & gore horror, but they're also incredibly influential to the genre and worth checking out if you're curious what everything else is imitating or reacting to:

the original Devilman: I haven't actually seen this in its entirety, but basically every horror anime and manga ever made owes something to Go Nagai, so it'd be worse if I left it out

Ninja Scroll: patient zero for the formula/subgenre that Mirai Nikki belongs to, so if you liked that, give this a watch

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 9, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Easy Diff posted:

Blood C is this super-super-super (I mean realllllly super-)slow burn show that starts out as generic "magical girl also fights monsters" and slowly morphs into an absolutely BONKERS mindfuck with some of the most over-the-top visuals I've ever seen in any form. Like, legit made me a little sick, and I've never had a problem with anything in Hostel or Miike's ouvre or the 70s rape-revenge flicks.

Do be aware, it's a soft prequel to an entire other series and ends on a complete blue-ball ending since there's another anime to sell you after it, but yeah. Fuckin' Blood C.

Blood-C loving sucks, as does the entire Blood series. it's basically the worst, most pointless example of category #2

also reading back through other people's suggestions:

Monster is indeed really good

Junji Ito is one of the greatest horror mangaka alive, but anime adaptations of his work are almost universally low-budget, low-effort trash. the live-action Uzumaki is about as good as it gets and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person around here who will actually go to bat for that movie; the anime adaptations are downright terrible

Hellsing Ultimate is very much aimed at horny teenage boys, but LORD OF BOOTY isn't kidding re: how much it dunks on nazis

The Promised Neverland is fantastic but wtf don't spoil the premise in the recommendation

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 9, 2019

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It's literally in the first episode and I left the big part of it out. I don't know how you would even describe it otherwise.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

mikeycp posted:

It's literally in the first episode and I left the big part of it out. I don't know how you would even describe it otherwise.

eh, you're probably right, i'm just remembering reading the comic which draws it out a little more and really commits to pulling the rug out from under you

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Yeah they introduce it really fast in the cartoon. I tried to be as spoiler free as I could while still like describing the conflict

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i dont believe fulci did any anime so i havent seen any

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

i dont believe fulci did any anime so i havent seen any

Kemonozume is basically A Lizard in a Woman's Skin: Literal Version :v:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kemonozume is basically A Lizard in a Woman's Skin: Literal Version :v:

gently caress that sounds good im not a huge anime guy but ima watch this tonight

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kemonozume is also a Yuasa joint so it loving kicks rear end

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly there needs to be more anime (and media in general) like Ninja Scroll and Mirai Nikki and Hellsing. Just give me literally all the hilarious bonkers trash, cool subtext preferred but optional.

Like, I feel like that's why I dug Mayhem as hard as I did, because it really felt like the director just mainlined as much of this kind of anime as possible and turned it into a live-action movie. Ditto Polar, actually, though that wasn't quite as good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, Kvlt, check out Genocyber. Don't read anything about it, just go YouTube some bits and report back.

e: you might not like Kemonozume as much as posited, it's very very very artsy. Like, I'm the resident Belladonna of Sadness stan and I kinda couldn't get into it, if that says anything about how artsy it is.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im watching Genocyber on the name alone

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I just watched Tales from the Hood 2 and I think it's great that they got da share z0ne to do the opening credits.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
loving watch Speed Grapher

It's not exactly horror persay but it's absolutely horror and it ends on

Capitalism being the greatest evil of all, the main characters causing the downfall of all government, and everyone being happier and better off for it

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
also I watched Horrors of Malformed Men last night, and that poo poo was fuckin wild, everybody needs to see it.

actual photo of my face for the entire second half of the film: :catstare:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

gey muckle mowser posted:

I just watched Tales from the Hood 2 and I think it's great that they got da share z0ne to do the opening credits.

The opening credits are the best part

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 9, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kvlt! posted:

im watching Genocyber on the name alone

Genocyber fuckin' rules, if you have time the comic is great too though it was unfortunately cancelled really early (I forget why, I think there was some creative differences drama or something). So the anime (there's just three parts do definitely worth seeing) EDIT I took out even the stuff I put in spoilers just watch it blind because holy poo poo it owns.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I remember watching Genocyber when I was fairly young, and didn't have a good grasp on English yet so the dub didn't do much to help me understand what was going on. But I was equal parts disturbed by and in love with it, and I did appreciate that anytime something Genocyberial happened, it had some loving consequences.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the original Devilman: I haven't actually seen this in its entirety, but basically every horror anime and manga ever made owes something to Go Nagai, so it'd be worse if I left it out

This was one of the few animes I ever watched, back when it was a big new thing and I was curious. It was poo poo.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: like Hellsing is one of the very few genre works that makes a point of Nazi ideology being based on literally nothing but a love of perpetual violence, with everything else just serving as a convenient excuse, that's pretty loving impressive for an anime

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Hellsing Ultimate is very much aimed at horny teenage boys, but LORD OF BOOTY isn't kidding re: how much it dunks on nazis

I mean, yeah sure, it does that, but it also implies that having a strong ideology, even if it is bonkers and ends up getting you killed, is really cool. The show itself never criticizes the Nazis for being monsters, it just shows them monstering it up and enjoying it, until they're killed off by one of the other murderous and fanatical factions who hate them. One of the most popular scenes from the series, which is clipped all over youtube, is of faux-Hitler giving an impassioned speech about how much he loves war and murder. People like that because they think it's edgy-cool and darkly-humorous, it's not an exposé. Make no mistake, the show goes out of its way to make the Nazis look cool while they're chomping on babies or whatever; it's not an anti-fascist piece of work.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jedit posted:

This was one of the few animes I ever watched, back when it was a big new thing and I was curious. It was poo poo.

It fuckin' rules when watched with the English dub, and it still has stuff like the turtle in it that just owns. The influence is understandable too I meant hat comic is flat out fuckin' nuts for something made in 1973.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubSdfYqCgK8