Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Speaking of, Vic Miller's win was sustained on appeal 3 weeks ago. So I guess he owns it all now, unless Cunningham takes it to the Supreme Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Origami Dali posted:

Speaking of, Vic Miller's win was sustained on appeal 3 weeks ago. So I guess he owns it all now, unless Cunningham takes it to the Supreme Court.

he owns the rights to the first movie and all the characters in it like Pamela Voorhees and child Jason. He doesn't own the rights to anything established in the sequels like the hockey masked wearing adult Jason. it's a mess lol

Crescent Wrench posted:

I'm still really sore about it.

same

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I watched Masque of the Red Death tonight. Vincent Price rules.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he owns the rights to the first movie and all the characters in it like Pamela Voorhees and child Jason. He doesn't own the rights to anything established in the sequels like the hockey masked wearing adult Jason. it's a mess lol

So does this means there’s gonna be a Never Say Friday the 13th Again with a lil frog boy murderer at Camp Crystal Lake?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lumbermouth posted:

So does this means there’s gonna be a Never Say Friday the 13th Again with a lil frog boy murderer at Camp Crystal Lake?

No, no- he owns F13 the name, too, though that seems suspect to me given he didn't come up with it

I think he does anyways

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lord almighty after watching a horror flick about a sound engineer mixing screams together a lot I am heartily sick of listening to women scream. So naturally the next movie on my list opens with one. Fortunately she's stopped now, but I may have to take a break and resume tomorrow if she starts up again.

e: that moment of "!" and " :D " when you see "written and directed by werner herzog" in the opening credits, I didn't know he did this adaptation of Nosferatu!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Do you think Jason and girl in the well from the Ring would get along?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Jason is a good boy who just wants to be left alone , he will get along with anyone as long as they stay away from his weed.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think he'd get along better with the girl from The Grudge.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

any spoiler-free takes on The Medium? it just hit shudder in australia so i'm gonna give it a whirl this weekend

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Hollismason posted:

Jason is a good boy who just wants to be left alone , he will get along with anyone as long as they stay away from his weed.

the things jason hates the most are weed and premarital sex and if he catches even the tiniest whiff of the whacky tobacky he goes into a murderous rage and starts killing people for a runtime of an hour and thirty minutes

Lumbermouth posted:

they could theoretically remake the original friday the 13th which wouldn't be that interesting for me personally. The first movie is technically the "best" but it lacks the absurdity of the later movies that makes them so fun in the first place imo.

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 27, 2021

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I re-watched Saw. Now that I have the 8-film Saw collection, I kinda wanna re-watch them all... don't know if I can get through them before Halloween so we'll see. I might just skip to Jigsaw, the one I've never seen, before that. So Saw 1. Classic. Probably the best Saw movie. "Probably" seems weird to say, considering it's pretty much objectively considered the best one, or sometimes the "only good" one. While I do basically agree its the best, there's a lot of "stuff" in the other movies I like, so it's not quite the absolute slam dunk... but it's probably the best one lol. I do have a soft spot for the Saw series, and Jigsaw/John Kramer is probably my favorite horror villain. Here's some observations I had while watching (I guess I'll spoiler things from later movies??):
- Jigsaw has a rep of "only targets people who deserve it"... but even in this movie we can see that's not true. Who Jigsaw really targets are people who do not live up to his moral code. Often that will be bad people, but sometimes it's "bad" people. Like did Adam deserve to be trapped? ESPECIALLY considering he's just basically used as a prop for Dr. Gordon. I'd say the same for Zepp.... but the way he acted being a psycho makes me feel like there's something weird with him lol. Unless Jigsaw TOLD him to act like that... Then you have Amanda. Her crime is "being a drug addict", which does NOT make you a bad person. But to Jigsaw, she's throwing away her life which is bad enough. Then you add in what we know happens to his child, that a drug addict basically terminated them, then I think you can argue Jigsaw has it ESPECIALLY out for them.
- We know Dr. Gordon becomes an accomplice of Jigsaw, and it's interesting because you can kinda see the seeds of that here. Obviously that was NOT planned, it's just a weird twist they came up with for Saw 3D/The Final Chapter, but even still in this movie Gordon has some amount of admiration of Jigsaw. He's the first one who says that "Um, actually, Jigsaw doesn't KILL anyone himself". He even comes to admit he wasted his life, that he had the perfect family and shunned them, a revelation that I think he'd agree he wouldn't have gotten without this experience.
The iconic song is called "Hello Zepp"... but Jiggsaw doesn't SAY hello zepp??? How have I never noticed this?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they could theoretically remake the original friday the 13th which wouldn't be that interesting for me personally. The first movie is technically the "best" but it lacks the absurdity of the later movies that makes them so fun in the first place imo.
I really disagree. 2, 4, and 6 aren't just favs, but genuinely better on a technical level than 1. I don't love 3 and 7, but they're both better as well.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Maybe they'll just start calling them 'Jason' movies if they ever make another one. There's precedent.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe they'll just start calling them 'Jason' movies if they ever make another one. There's precedent.

Three movies worth in fact

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
the next movie will be a court drama about the custody battle for jason voorhees...

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really disagree. 2, 4, and 6 aren't just favs, but genuinely better on a technical level than 1. I don't love 3 and 7, but they're both better as well.

gonna have to rewatch the movies then... its been a long time

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the next movie will be a court drama about the custody battle for jason voorhees...

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

alf_pogs posted:

any spoiler-free takes on The Medium? it just hit shudder in australia so i'm gonna give it a whirl this weekend

I haven't watched it yet but am very curious, let us know what you think!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Franchescanado posted:

I think you're conflating it with Palahniuk's short story Guts.

My friend loaned my Haunted and going in completely blind my wife asked me to read it to her. I read aloud that entire first chapter and about half way through we were both slack jawed and laughing our asses off.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I am giving The Medium a go because of the goon requests and already having fun 7 minutes in. It starts with narration over some cool shots and then decides to be funny for a bit before, as I assume will happen later, the shoe drops.
Medium: Tell me what happened?
Wife: My husband found this cobra and made liquor out of it. I told him not to drink it, but he didn't listen. His arms and legs went numb. He doesn't have any strength.
Medium: Where did you get it from?
Husband: I got it from the cemetery.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chucky continues to be good

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

Probably too long but the second half rules so much it made me forget about my checking of the clock. Ending was amazing and hit like a ton of bricks. Probably in my top recent possession films

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
The Medium is going to be polarizing as hell. What a ride. It's like if someone strapped a GoPro to The Wailing and kicked it out of an airplane.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Could any of them have been saved?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I havent seen the Nightmare movies in a while but iirc aint nothing bad happen to Freddy as a kid, unlike the other 3. Michael Myers especially had a rough childhood, as established in the beggining of the film.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Any recommendations for the Spaced Invaders challenge in the October thread?
Specifically;
-Watch a film about extraterrestrial life.
-Watch a film set in space

I like to think I saw most of them, but over the years you guys have recommended me some crazy stuff so who knows.
I'd really prefer a good one over trash.

From the top of my head, I already saw;
Killer Klowns
Pandora
Event Horizon
Lifeforce
Alien, all of them, including the Italian one (Contamination, was it?) and Planet of the Vampires
Life
Predator, all of them including the one forgotten movie it was based on
Critters, all of them
Jason X
The Thing
The Blob
Moontrap
Oxygen
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Galaxy of Terror

And the list goes on, I keep remembering more and more.
Any advice is welcome.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dead Space with Brian Cranston

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BioTech posted:

Any recommendations for the Spaced Invaders challenge in the October thread?
Specifically;
-Watch a film about extraterrestrial life.
-Watch a film set in space

Xtro was a pleasant surprise to me. Rocky Horror would also count if you haven't seen it yet.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Kvlt! posted:

Dead Space with Brian Cranston

I see it's a remake of Forbidden World, which is what I meant by Italian Alien.
Turns out Contamination is the one I haven't seen yet.
I'll see which one I can get my hands on, Contamination or Dead Space. Thanks!

Jedit posted:

Xtro was a pleasant surprise to me. Rocky Horror would also count if you haven't seen it yet.

Saw both of those. Xtro was nuts.

It is weird how many movies fit the genre if you think about it, they just keep coming up.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ATTACK THE BLOCK

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

I havent seen the Nightmare movies in a while but iirc aint nothing bad happen to Freddy as a kid, unlike the other 3. Michael Myers especially had a rough childhood, as established in the beggining of the film.

In Freddy's Dead I think, Alice Cooper is his dad and beats him.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 27, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Kvlt! posted:

freddy was bullied for being the child of a hundred maniacs and had an abusive foster home.

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 27, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

ATTACK THE BLOCK

Seconding this such a fantastic movie

Karloff posted:

In Freddy's Dead I think, Alice Cooper is his dad and beats him.

Hey, isn't "Freddy" a Native American name?

Yes, Pete, it is. In fact , it's pronounced "Fred-day" which is Algonquin for "Dream Warriors is really the only decent movie"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Wizard Master posted:

Could any of them have been saved?

All Jason needed was to be saved, literally saved from drowning, and everything would have been fine. Michael is born bad with black eyes, the devils eyes. Freddy was also born according to some dark plan and is currently a demon, so I’d say no. Leatherface is a maybe if they got him out of that house but I doubt he would’ve flourished in a foster home environment. Things would have gotten messy.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

I am going to throw this out there but while Jason goes to Hell isn't good or really, cohesive. I appreciate the effort to try something different.

Jason X is ok too if you take it for what it is.

Its too bad the Ronald Moore script for Freddy vs. Jason didn't get the go ahead. The idea that Jason has been tortured by Freddy for years and made him the way he was, while Jason stands trial would of been interesting and batshit insane and I would of loved it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A Jason trial would be boring as sin, there's no way he's mentally competant to stand trial

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Leatherface is just a good helpful boy who likes to work in the family business.

It just happens that the family business is cannibalism and grave robbery.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it's kind of a miracle Freddy vs Jason turned out as weirdly watchable and entertaining as it is

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
My preferred interpretation of Jason which is contradicted in a few movies but whatever lol. Is that he isn't a sadist. He's territorial and will murder anyone that steps foot into Crystal Lake but his kills are practical and quick and he does not leave his territory unless provoked. Jason also ignores children and doesn't usually seem to target them because he remembers his own hosed up childhood. He also doesn't usually kill animals.

Myers is a sadist and kills because he likes killing. He willingly seeks out victims and enjoys terrifying them before killing them. he also doesn't discriminate and will happily murder children and animals if he is able too

Leatherface isn't a sadist and isn't evil. He just has no real sense of right and wrong. All he wants to do is appease his hosed up and abusive family of cannibals but doesn't seem to be all that malicious on his own.

Kvlt! posted:

A Jason trial would be boring as sin, there's no way he's mentally competant to stand trial

you also cant take your eyes off jason for a second because he'll somehow teleport out of the courtroom lol

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the ideal Freddy vs Jason is them getting in a boxing ring for 12 rounds, no slashing or killing. Freddy has to take his knife gloves off. Literally just a fistfight.