Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, an prequel about Pamela's early life could be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, an prequel about Pamela's early life could be fun.

Worked for Norma Bates! .....sort of.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Levantine posted:

I found it appropriate because She lied about her time in the beginning. She held her breath for like 1:22 but told dude it was 3 minutes. If she had been able to hold her breath that long, she probably would have survived! I

Exactly!

God I loved this movie

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is there a way to watch Titane without the subtitles? I rented it on amazon and they're hardcoded

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

mood: I don't want to watch Dead and Buried or Prey. I'm 10~ and 20~ minutes into each one and just nothing is doing it for me in these movies. but I also really want this bingo square filled. I finally found the homework square, I guess.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

yoohoo posted:

Return of the Living Dead is a work of art.

:hfive:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

StrixNebulosa posted:

mood: I don't want to watch Dead and Buried or Prey. I'm 10~ and 20~ minutes into each one and just nothing is doing it for me in these movies. but I also really want this bingo square filled. I finally found the homework square, I guess.

Dead and Buried gets better as it goes, but if it's not doing much for you I don't know how much that will change.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Dead and Buried gets better as it goes, but if it's not doing much for you I don't know how much that will change.

That's good to hear. I might have to just pass up a movie this evening and play something instead, not sure. I kind of wish October were longer, I really like doing bingo card movies.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Dead & Buried starts slow but it's cool. But I also think it is easy to burn out trying to make movie watching a personal challenge and it is totally fine to take a night off of watching movies

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Unless you're M_Sin who i assume is strapped to a bomb in a "the bus from Speed but for watching movies a lot" situation

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

The Berzerker posted:

Unless you're M_Sin who i assume is strapped to a bomb in a "the bus from Speed but for watching movies a lot" situation

This is a likely scenario imo

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Spooky season owns. My wife has somehow never seen a Friday the 13th which is being fixed at this moment (although we also did Jason X the other night bc that’s my personal fave)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

alf_pogs posted:

good spookadoodle vibes itt every october, i love it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Omnikin posted:

Spooky season owns. My wife has somehow never seen a Friday the 13th which is being fixed at this moment (although we also did Jason X the other night bc that’s my personal fave)

Jason X really is the pinnacle of the Friday the 13th series.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Saw 2 - I think this is a pretty decent follow up to Saw all things considered. Now IMO, the scenes with Jigsaw are what really carry this movie. The murder house is decent enough as a set piece, has some fun traps. But I can't say I was all that entertained by that plotline in general, especially on rewatch. I'm pretty sure Saw 2 has the most amount of Jigsaw on screen, maybe 3 tops it? But in any event, Tobin Bell kills it as usual. I of course love the reveal of where the son is, so silly but so good. The whole twist where it turns out the events in the murder house already happened is also very fun. Of course, you can't talk about twists without bringing up Amanda as an accomplice. I think this twist is set up really well, the fact that she's back in another trap is an obvious tell that something isn't right. Plus there's the scene where after she wakes up, she immediately gets the tape recorder out. She kinda acts like the Game Master for this escape room, subtly pushing everyone when needed. Don't know if she anticipated getting thrown into the hole of syringes, but if she DID she acted really well! I love one one trap at the end, a girl goes into one of the rooms and just ignores the tape and tries to get one of the antidotes out. It feels very real.

This movie also starts the "intro trap" tradition I don't know others feel about this, but I like that the guy actually doesn't go through with cutting himself. Also felt very "real", not everyone is going to go through with Jigsaw's games just because their life is on the line.

I think I found a Deep Lore Inconsistency!!!! Kramer's backstory is somewhat reveled in this movie as he finds out he has cancer, tries to kill himself by running his car off the road, it doesn't work and him pulling himself out the wreckage is framed as his personal trap/trial, and after THAT is when he starts his killings. But... that's not right is it? We know that in actuality, John's first victim was the addict who accidentally terminated his child by injuring his wife. We see his first makeshift trap in action then. I don't remember the timeline of events, but I think he only learns he has cancer after all of that... but I could be wrong there.. I guess I'll see!

Overall, a safe movie. I can't quite crack the code on why, maybe a combination of a big setpiece trap with a lot of Jigsaw scenes.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
jason x is good and a much better way to end it than jason goes to hell which is bad

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

jason x is good and a much better way to end it than jason goes to hell which is bad

Jason Goes to Hell is also good

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I didnt really like titane. the entire movie you wanna see the cool car-human hybrid and its just a normal baby with a metal spine. I didnt understand the murders at the beggining, or how they connected to the plot. It felt like they made a movie and thought "It's not long enough, add some murders at the beggining"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Jason Goes to Hell is also good

im going to have to disagree... it has some cool moments but Jason not being physically on-screen for most of the movie hurts it imo.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Jason X is the second-best horror sequel in space, behind Hellraiser 4 (the secret second-best Hellraiser movie)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

im going to have to disagree... it has some cool moments but Jason not being physically on-screen for most of the movie hurts it imo.

Jason is a deadite , they use the Necronomicon, and the knife from evil dead is what "kills" him. Plus its got that super gnarly bloated Jason design at the beginning. Its got a amazing loving character in Creighton Duke. Its got some really great gore and the stinger at the end with Freddy's claw comes out of the ground is so loving good. ALso the beginning is loving great as well. Its full of great characters and its really gorey.

It's me I'm the one who will defend Jason goes to Hell.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 28, 2021

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

I didnt really like titane. the entire movie you wanna see the cool car-human hybrid and its just a normal baby with a metal spine. I didnt understand the murders at the beggining, or how they connected to the plot. It felt like they made a movie and thought "It's not long enough, add some murders at the beggining"

I can totally see that, but for me it really worked as taking something metaphorical (burning your life down as part of a radical change/severing ties/etc.) and making it very literal, before going on to find a new identity and a new family.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Jason X is the second-best horror sequel in space, behind Hellraiser 4 (the secret second-best Hellraiser movie)

Hellraiser 4 is a good idea, it needed more polishing.

Jason X had the best/worst kill in the franchise, the frozen face kill. Brutal and horrifying because the victim gets to see what's coming before she's killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-5pPy7zuyc

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I appreciate Jason Goes to Hell for trying to do something different.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Jason X has one of the best DVD commentaries ever too because of the barely concealed contempt the director and writer have for each other throughout the whole thing lol

Hollismason posted:

Jason is a deadite , they use the Necronomicon, and the knife from evil dead is what "kills" him. Plus its got that super gnarly bloated Jason design at the beginning. Its got a amazing loving character in Creighton Duke. Its got some really great gore and the stinger at the end with Freddy's claw comes out of the ground is so loving good. ALso the beginning is loving great as well. Its full of great characters and its really gorey.

It's me I'm the one who will defend Jason goes to Hell.

the jason design at the beginning is really cool and Creighton Duke is an interesting character. but i'm not sure if Jason really needs a Loomis type of character like Jarvis or Creighton either. I'm going to go ahead and say the mortician eating Jason's heart for no reason is pretty good though lol and the FBI hunting Jason down at the start owns and could have been an entire movie on its own.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Jason takes Manhattan more like Jason takes a cruise and visits Vancouver!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I appreciate Jason Goes to Hell for trying to do something different.

i think this is what ended up killing the franchise for so long. Friday is a very formulaic slasher series so it needed to try different things to be fresh. But only some of those things like shooting Jason into Space and turning him into a cyborg that wants his machete back really worked and that premise is still too absurd for the average movie goer.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Jason X has one of the best DVD commentaries ever too because of the barely concealed contempt the director and writer have for each other throughout the whole thing lol

Shout-out to the DVD commentary for the movie Suspect Zero, a psychological horror/thriller from the early 2000s whose commentary has the director talking about how deep, artistic, and important the movie is despite that it bombed at the box office and literally nobody remembers it. If you ever want to hear a man wax poetically and elegantly about a movie with almost no redeeming qualities, it rules.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hey all I’m gonna show a workprint mostly done ish version of my short on the Scream Stream on Halloween day if you wanna see it.

Effects and score are temp but the rest I think is about what it should be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k21g9fN6vI8

I’m not sure what time but you should come anyway bc scream stream rules.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980898&perpage=40&noseen=1

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kvlt! posted:

I havent seen the Nightmare movies in a while but iirc aint nothing bad happen to Freddy as a kid, unlike the other 3. Michael Myers especially had a rough childhood, as established in the beggining of the film.

I just wanted to say I really like what you did with this post.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Has there ever been a decent haunted houseboat movie? That seems like a dynamite premise.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I havent seen the Nightmare movies in a while but iirc aint nothing bad happen to Freddy as a kid, unlike the other 3. Michael Myers especially had a rough childhood, as established in the beggining of the film.

His dad was Alice Cooper.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Watching 13th Fanboy now

Fun watch. Its not *good* but its a lot of fun seeing the actors hang out and do poo poo. You can tell the movie was shot in very disjointed ways

Also I can't say I fully called who the killer was but you know

I also wish Kane and CJ teamed up to hunt down the killer but I get the feeling they just let certain actors do whatever

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I have been watching the original Night Stalker movie, and the resulting series on DVD.

Man, this show, along with this local Friday night horror show right here is what turned me on to horror in the first place, over forty years ago.

And it is loving awesome.

I remember watching this on Friday nights in the 70s, and then being allowed to stay up late enough to watch “Channel 8 Plenty Scary Movie”

This series rocked; the movie that kicked it off was about a vampire, then there were episodes about aliens, shapeshifters, golems, androids, demons, and animated suits of medieval armor. I remember so clearly watching the awesome intro to see what the story would be this week.

This show loving rocked. Production values were low and it was silly, but I don’t care.

This show, plus the Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, plus our local show I linked above is what got me into horror in the first place. It’s glorious.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Going to see Titane this Sunday.

Working on the playlist

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

late forgotten reply to the "alien invasion" square but the excellent Japanese found footage movie OCCULT by koji shiraishi is utterly bizarre and a bit spooky and really worth a go. and even better some entrepreneurial character has it up on youtube

https://youtu.be/I6qri3HnUQQ

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Shout-out to the DVD commentary for the movie Suspect Zero, a psychological horror/thriller from the early 2000s whose commentary has the director talking about how deep, artistic, and important the movie is despite that it bombed at the box office and literally nobody remembers it. If you ever want to hear a man wax poetically and elegantly about a movie with almost no redeeming qualities, it rules.

If we’re talking incredible horror movie commentaries, CHUD is still my favorite. It’s the writer, director and Daniel Stern dunking on their own movie for 90 minutes.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

MrMojok posted:

I have been watching the original Night Stalker movie, and the resulting series on DVD.

Man, this show, along with this local Friday night horror show right here is what turned me on to horror in the first place, over forty years ago.

And it is loving awesome.

I remember watching this on Friday nights in the 70s, and then being allowed to stay up late enough to watch “Channel 8 Plenty Scary Movie”

This series rocked; the movie that kicked it off was about a vampire, then there were episodes about aliens, shapeshifters, golems, androids, demons, and animated suits of medieval armor. I remember so clearly watching the awesome intro to see what the story would be this week.

This show loving rocked. Production values were low and it was silly, but I don’t care.

This show, plus the Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, plus our local show I linked above is what got me into horror in the first place. It’s glorious.

kolchak finally came out on bluray this month

https://www.kinolorber.com/product/kolchak-the-night-stalker-the-complete-series-blu-ray

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Going to see Titane this Sunday.

Working on the playlist

NGL youre gonna be dissapointed if you think its a movie about cars. I went in excpecting to see some sweet souped up car action and theres none after the first 15ish minutes. Felt wicked deceived by the marketing.

Your music taste is great tho

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Now, if you like fireman raves, then buddy have I got the movie for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

One thing I really did like about Titane was the cinematogrophy. It was excellent, had a straight dude like me mesmerized by a bunch of beefcake firemen dancing