Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

M_Sinistrari posted:

So far I'm hearing for the most part people are liking it. The people who don't like it are mostly criticizing it's not following the game depictions to a particular standard.

Its got a fun cast so I'll probably give it a look when it hits streaming, I just really didn't think there was some kind of "lets have another RE movie" momentum and apparently I was very wrong.

But I've also never played any of the games so like I have no expectations or idea of what that fanbase is wanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

STAC Goat posted:

Its got a fun cast so I'll probably give it a look when it hits streaming, I just really didn't think there was some kind of "lets have another RE movie" momentum and apparently I was very wrong.

But I've also never played any of the games so like I have no expectations or idea of what that fanbase is wanting.

Well, it isn't exactly burning up the box office so there probably isn't so much "momentum" per se. But what fans are reacting to is that the prior Resident Evil movies were, for better or worse, rather blatantly generic action vehicles wearing the Resident Evil IP like a skin. So 'Welcome to Raccoon City' isn't so much "another" Resident Evil movie but rather the first genuine one.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the games have sort of been really popular again recently - Res Evil VII was great, and the remake of RE2 was hugely popular. Village as well was pretty well received. I also didn't expect it to coincide with a spate of new filmed stuff but it sorta makes sense

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Lair has some of the worst dialogue I've ever experienced

E: no The in the title. Wtf is this dialogue. I feel bad for the actors who were paid to try to sincerely read this out loud.

AKZ fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 4, 2021

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I thought Resident Evil was a lot of fun and definitely schlock in the same vein as the series itself
This felt like the first film to really try to stick to the narrative beats of the games closely
All of the critiques the poster put above in spoilers, they're all true but I still enjoyed it a lot

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

CelticPredator posted:

I love that the characters suck because they all die pretty much lol

I love Freddy Vs Jason. It’s got dated slurs and nasty poo poo but the fights are rockin and it has some all timer kills.

The bed kill is hilarious lmafo

The bed kill is probably the high point of the film honestly, that's the kind of stupid silly I wanted more of. The film also has way more rape than I can stand in this kind of movie, even if it's not at all graphic I just personally can't watch it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Totally fair!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

The concept of Leatherface going from the end of TCM screaming and waving a bloody chainsaw around to "I'm gonna try and be a good person" is just too dumb for me to take anyone seriously.

And you know its gonna take itself super seriously.

The funny thing about TCM films post-TCM2 is, as dire as one would think that may sound, it could still (and very easily!) not be even the third-worst film in the franchise

I think the Alien and Hellraiser franchises are the only other ones I can think of where, for me, the films/quality falls off a loving cliff after the first two entries. Saw I loved 3 and 3D (and liked some other entries), Halloween I loved 3 and 2018, Friday the 13th I loved Jason Lives, Child's Play I think has been pretty consistently good throughout even!

TCM, Alien and Hellraiser though? Start great, fall off a loving cliff, and I don't think I even liked most of a film since the first two entries. TCM was closest with parts of Texas Chainsaw, but I don't even like talking about the existence of Leatherface 2017, Hellraiser Revelations*, or Prometheus or Covenant

*How the gently caress was Revelations only 75 minutes, I swear my viewing of it felt like two hours

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien Covenant and Prometheus are incredible and I love them

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

even if you don't love them Prometheus and Covenant are hahaha not even in the same universe of bad as some of those later Hellraiser movies

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

alf_pogs posted:

even if you don't love them Prometheus and Covenant are hahaha not even in the same universe of bad as some of those later Hellraiser movies

There isn't even a contrast between Alien Resurrection and Hellraiser III.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

LemonLimeSoda posted:

I thought Resident Evil was a lot of fun and definitely schlock in the same vein as the series itself
This felt like the first film to really try to stick to the narrative beats of the games closely
All of the critiques the poster put above in spoilers, they're all true but I still enjoyed it a lot

The narrative beats of the games? By completely erasing the reason for the Outbreak? By not implicating the US Government as complicit? By not having Claire and Sherry interact at all? By changing the character of every single character to the point where its essentially an entirely different cast?

I feel like I'm going insane.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

Seedge posted:

The narrative beats of the games? By completely erasing the reason for the Outbreak? By not implicating the US Government as complicit? By not having Claire and Sherry interact at all? By changing the character of every single character to the point where its essentially an entirely different cast?

I've only seen a playthrough of the first couple games but I think it's better to treat it like a remix of the elements sort of like the Fargo movie vs. series

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

So far I'm hearing for the most part people are liking it. The people who don't like it are mostly criticizing it's not following the game depictions to a particular standard.

That's not the problem.

It starts off pretty good, but its similar to Silent Hill in that it gets worse as it goes on until it becomes this weird thing that is like the games with exposition dumps and a bunch of nonsense crammed into the finale, but doesn't lean far enough into the games to be that fun and to make the last act farcical. It basically jokes about removing the giant spiders and snakes and stuff whereas it should have just kept them like Romeros script if it's going to lean hard into everything else.

Biggest issue is splitting the characters to try to cram Resident Evil 1 and 2 into one movie. It makes the whole thing an unfocused mess. It's pretty good in the first half while it still has some narrative focus.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Seedge posted:

You're mentioning specific plot points, not narrative beats. Narrative beats are general situations that hit in certain parts of the plot and are more broad than what you're describing.

For instance, Birkin releasing G Virus into the water in the games as the source for the Outbreak isn't that far removed from someone at Umbrella doing it (could have still been Birkin!) in the movie, as you mention source for the Outbreak being different in your spoiler text.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

Darko posted:

You're mentioning specific plot points, not narrative beats. Narrative beats are general situations that hit in certain parts of the plot and are more broad than what you're describing.

For instance, Birkin releasing G Virus into the water in the games as the source for the Outbreak isn't that far removed from someone at Umbrella doing it (could have still been Birkin!) in the movie, as you mention source for the Outbreak being different in your spoiler text.

In the games, Birkin is shot and killed by Umbrealla days before the events of the game, which gets the T Virus into rats who then spread it through the city. In the movie, its implied by Ben to be a leak in the water source, which just magically doesn't affect the Stars team "because they probably got a booster shot or a multivitamin tablet to protect them via Umbrella", which makes no goddamn sense at all for the plot of either game or movie. The lady in the diner says her eye was bleeding for weeks before Leon meets her? That ain't how the virus works when the trucker gets bit and turns in a matter of hours! So what the hell was in the water very, very slowly T Virusing?

Just... none of it is consistent or makes any sense at all.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Seedge posted:

In the games, Birkin is shot and killed by Umbrealla days before the events of the game, which gets the T Virus into rats who then spread it through the city. In the movie, its implied by Ben to be a leak in the water source, which just magically doesn't affect the Stars team "because they probably got a booster shot or a multivitamin tablet to protect them via Umbrella", which makes no goddamn sense at all for the plot of either game or movie. The lady in the diner says her eye was bleeding for weeks before Leon meets her? That ain't how the virus works when the trucker gets bit and turns in a matter of hours! So what the hell was in the water very, very slowly T Virusing?

Just... none of it is consistent or makes any sense at all.

In the games Birkin getting shot and the vials being broken spread it to rats who then infected Raccoon City's water supply, which slowly infected the residents (files say that multiple people were showing signs of infection without being all out zombies in the first weeks). In the Wildstorm comic Capcom produced, Birkin directly released it into the water supply to show G was better than T. Water infecting the city gradually and people initially just showing signs of infection and not being a full out zombie initially was already lore, canon and non.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Merkin

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

Darko posted:

In the games Birkin getting shot and the vials being broken spread it to rats who then infected Raccoon City's water supply, which slowly infected the residents (files say that multiple people were showing signs of infection without being all out zombies in the first weeks). In the Wildstorm comic Capcom produced, Birkin directly released it into the water supply to show G was better than T. Water infecting the city gradually and people initially just showing signs of infection and not being a full out zombie initially was already lore, canon and non.

Birkin was shot Sept 22nd ingame. RE3 starts Sept 28th and there's hordes in the streets, and Hunters loose in the hospital.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I watched Cat People (original) and The Curse of the Cat People, the second of which I'd never seen before, and it's a strange and delightful sequel which I kind of don't want to talk about because it's such a different experience than the first film that the joy of discovering exactly what kind of film it ends up being is part of the fun. I would highly recommend it though.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Seedge posted:

Birkin was shot Sept 22nd ingame. RE3 starts Sept 28th and there's hordes in the streets, and Hunters loose in the hospital.

Yes things fell apart very rapidly. The fault of a money grubbing police chief, bureaucratic folly and citizenry malfeasance. Thank god we don’t live in that fiction! Huzzah!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If Racoon City happened in the real world people would be like "Actually the T Virus is good for you"

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

"There's an ALL NATURAL cure for the T-Virus, these lovely Plagas from Europe, I've never felt more alive!"

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Seedge posted:

"There's an ALL NATURAL cure for the T-Virus, these lovely Plagas from Europe, I've never felt more alive!"

And then you can treat the plagas with Ivermectin bing bong so simple

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The T-Virus fixed my deviated septum! *nose slowly slides off face*

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Just smoke some herb, it will cure the virus! Oh, wait...

Seedge posted:

That's because there was a mix of multiple things happening at the same time. T got loose somehow in the mansion (EDIT: Oh yeah, it was the leeches) and dogs got loose infecting stuff outside, leeches were crawling around on trains and Birkin had rats and releasing, edit: T in the water supply.

Once it was in the water, the town was screwed, but at a faster pace. Files said that people would show symptoms but not be full in zombies right away.

Darko fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 4, 2021

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

“I’d been collecting stuff for years and storing it and I was thinking, ‘What am I doing with all this stuff in storage? It’s not displayed. It’s in a box somewhere. Why am I hanging on to it?’” she says. “I thought it was time to let it out there and let fans see it and let fans get a little piece of Elvira.”

So don't worry she's not going broke or anything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hey crew. I don't want to annoy anyone so I won't do this often but over in another thread we're revving up for the 3rd season of Spook-A-Doodle Bracketology Tournament & Movie Club. Its a kinda crazy but also super chill tournament that ran over 8 months last year and is mostly an excuse for us all to watch random horror movies. Four movies are drawn each week, there's votes on who wins and advances, and eventually we have a champion.

And right now we're nominating directors and teams for the tournament. Any director with 6+ movies can get in on his or her own and any directors that can fit on a team of 6-10 can be crammed together. We'll have a bracket after Christmas and the tournament will begin Jan 1st.

So I welcome you all to join in. You can nominate directors, build teams of your own, vote, spectate and comment, or just get some deep cut and obscure horror movie recs. It can look a little intimidating and massive but like 90% of that is just on me. For the most part all you gotta do is whatever you want to do.

Spook-A-Doodle Bracketology Tournament & Movie Club '22

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah come hang out over there and watch movies on the weeks you have time and vote and all that good stuff. It is the finest thing going on this forum imho

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Yeah, I kind of figured it was just a case of her having so much stuff that she just needed to offload it and let some fans and collectors have it. Everything went for as high or higher than the estimated price, and the Elvira-specific stuff like dresses, wigs and jewelry went for tens of thousands of dollars. Everything except for like two Elvira dolls that nobody bid on.

I kind of wanted to buy some of her weird devil and skeleton-related collectibles. I didn't think any of it would go for more than a couple hundred but all those lots went for like $400+. Even a lot of vintage buttons that had no relation to Elvira went for about $450.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Karloff posted:

I watched Cat People (original) and The Curse of the Cat People, the second of which I'd never seen before, and it's a strange and delightful sequel which I kind of don't want to talk about because it's such a different experience than the first film that the joy of discovering exactly what kind of film it ends up being is part of the fun. I would highly recommend it though.

Do they shave the gills off the cat person and put him in a suit?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Just got out of Resident Evil. I thought it ruled. Tight pacing, great set pieces and overall a great horror movie. Nailed the grim tone of the games and added some horror tropes to make it work as a movie. Donal Logue really sends his performance.

I get how you might not like it if you want it real close to the games. Person in my group hated how they did Leon, for example. I agree with OP who pointed out the narrative beats. It’s definitely RE, but the characters got swapped around or combined to make it work on screen. I like that they chose a lead and gave her the characterization, which kept it tight even though it’s a bit of an ensemble/team movie.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Finally saw Phantasm after seeing it referenced for years. Literally had me cheering and pumping my fists by the climax. What a banging movie. The score is just so good.

Wish I had seen it as a kid, it's got my imagination running as an adult and I imagine it must hit similarly when you are around the main characters age.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Phantasm is a good loving time

grobbo
May 29, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

The concept of Leatherface going from the end of TCM screaming and waving a bloody chainsaw around to "I'm gonna try and be a good person" is just too dumb for me to take anyone seriously.

And you know its gonna take itself super seriously.

The possibility always exists that this won't be an obnoxious, middle-aged sneer of 'those drat city kids blunder into town, asking if the slaughterhouse provides chai latte, and a sympathetic Leatherface is *provoked* into picking up the chainsaw again!' movie, but instead a full-on Psycho II.

Leatherface, fully reformed, is shocked to learn that copycat cannibal chainsaw-massacring crimes are taking place all across town. He tries in his own guttural way to tell the police about his findings as to the exact brand of chainsaw used on the victims' wounds, but is misunderstood and swiftly becomes a key suspect.

Teaming up with a plucky crew of at-first reluctant out-of-towners who eventually prove their mettle, Leatherface solves the mystery and defeats the villain. (Maybe all the teens show up to save him while also wearing human-face masks to help him regain his confidence??) The story ends with the copycat being served at dinner as Leatherface celebrates with his new loving family. Laughter. Fade out.

The Saturday morning cartoon flows naturally from there.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Just watched the Friday the 13th remake and I actually do think it's one of the best! I loved the desolate mood of Crystal Lake here. The few residents we meet are barely holding on to their sanity and they are absolutely aware that this whole place is Jason's hunting grounds. It gives the whole area a purgatorial flavor that fits better than "well, I guess someone reopened the camp again"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Just watched the Friday the 13th remake and I actually do think it's one of the best! I loved the desolate mood of Crystal Lake here. The few residents we meet are barely holding on to their sanity and they are absolutely aware that this whole place is Jason's hunting grounds. It gives the whole area a purgatorial flavor that fits better than "well, I guess someone reopened the camp again"

Absolutely! This movie rocks in every way.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
lol, while watching the Chucky tv show I was wondering whether they gave the actor playing young Charles Lee Ray any make-up work to make him look more like a young Brad Dourif.

https://twitter.com/fionadourif/status/1459254140471844872?t=RFS-d4ovHVQARQl2mGX6gA&s=19

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Famethrowa posted:

Phantasm.

Wish I had seen it as a kid, it's got my imagination running as an adult and I imagine it must hit similarly when you are around the main characters age.

Wow :same: I probably would have drove my parents nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

davidspackage posted:

lol, while watching the Chucky tv show I was wondering whether they gave the actor playing young Charles Lee Ray any make-up work to make him look more like a young Brad Dourif.

https://twitter.com/fionadourif/status/1459254140471844872?t=RFS-d4ovHVQARQl2mGX6gA&s=19

And that actor was his daughter