Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m watching it on YouTube and I have to say the making of made it seem much more silly with a politically charged premise. But this is a bit more blunter than I thought so yeah I can see it lol

It also looks weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm also glad I enjoyed it!

After The Lodge, Hulu segued into Possessor which was also incredible. Probably more "dark action" than horror, but I'm wondering who set up their algorithm for family annihilator crimes right before Christmas.

(Big ending spoiler for both films.)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

moths posted:

I'm also glad I enjoyed it!

After The Lodge, Hulu segued into Possessor which was also incredible. Probably more "dark action" than horror, but I'm wondering who set up their algorithm for family annihilator crimes right before Christmas.

(Big ending spoiler for both films.)

It was probably this thread watching both films back to back last year

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Two with Freddy representing homosexual urges in a homophobic world was probably the "best" film in terms of having something to say.

I'm slowly making my way through that 8 hour NoES doc somebody linked to, with the F13 8 hour doc ready to go in the tab next to it :suicide: Anyway, in talking about Nightmare 2, while everyone admits it's gay as hell in retrospect, they also swear up and down they had no idea it would be perceived that way while they were making it. I guess that could still be bullshit, but the doc (I think) is from 2010 so there wouldn't be any reason to lie about it at this point.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm slowly making my way through that 8 hour NoES doc somebody linked to, with the F13 8 hour doc ready to go in the tab next to it :suicide: Anyway, in talking about Nightmare 2, while everyone admits it's gay as hell in retrospect, they also swear up and down they had no idea it would be perceived that way while they were making it. I guess that could still be bullshit, but the doc (I think) is from 2010 so there wouldn't be any reason to lie about it at this point.

Check out Scream, Queen! My Nightmare on Elm Street for a deeper look at Noes2

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

You should watch the semi-spin-off of that fox, Scream Queen, which is specifically about Mark Patton questioning the filmmakers claims that they had no idea, how the film ruined his career, it’s reclamation as a Queer Film, and other interesting perspectives. Made me pretty emotional on a first watch.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think they at least mention all that in interview clips with the actor, though a dedicated doc does sound pretty interesting. I sigh as I unsheathe my browser and open a 3rd tab to effectively bookmark a video I'll probably not get to before the end of the year :sigh:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hey, CP, I don't know if you've heard about this yet but it seems exactly your kinda poo poo

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1468621504548122633?t=A3QeYF9hJhN5Lug6S6de7g&s=19

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea the way Scream Queen exposes the screenwriter's nonsense makes it pretty obvious how full of poo poo they were and how they were perfectly fine with using Patton as a lighting rod to avoid having to discuss the issue.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 8, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Scream Queen is worth it after the 8 hour doc because it doesn't really rehash much. Its much less about the movie itself and more about what Patton went through in his life, the consequences of the film, and the cast and crew reacting to the modern interpretation of it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bro if it’s this what the gently caress

https://deadline.com/2021/12/v-h-s-2-hobo-with-a-shotgun-producers-sci-fi-horror-kids-vs-aliens-1234887127/

That was my original title lmao. They wanted me to change it. I guess I’m glad I did now but gently caress lmao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

God I have one day left of work to do on my short. I feel I took way too long to make it in general lol.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

God I have one day left of work to do on my short. I feel I took way too long to make it in general lol.

That applies to all creative stuff.

Usually it means you're doing a good job

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CelticPredator posted:

lol I've been working for 5 months on an instructional video for work purposes. poo poo takes forever. I've been recording my own VO and doing my own graphics and shooting the footage. I was going to try and finish it before the end of the year, but now I'm definitely pushing it into end of Q1 2022.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
One thing I never understood about the homosexualness of NoES 2 and they didn't really go over in the documentary. Did they write it to be like that and then somehow knew who Mark Patton was and that he was a closeted gay man and cast him? Did it start out not like that then they cast Mark and figured out he was gay and changed it? Did they write it gay and then luck out on casting Mark? I don't understand how it came together.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

One thing I never understood about the homosexualness of NoES 2 and they didn't really go over in the documentary. Did they write it to be like that and then somehow knew who Mark Patton was and that he was a closeted gay man and cast him? Did it start out not like that then they cast Mark and figured out he was gay and changed it? Did they write it gay and then luck out on casting Mark? I don't understand how it came together.

I guess someone can explain it, but this is all covered in Scream, Queen! in detail, which is streaming on Shudder.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It was a coincidence that Patton was gay, but then later when the movie started to be reevaluated and the "subtext" recognized for what it is, the screenwriter spun some bullshit about how it was all supposed to be really subtle but then Patton screwed that up by being gay and making it too obvious.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anyone seen this? Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEWQbBOFcz4

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Nuns! They’re so hot right now.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Great movie, but only like a third of it is actually about the possession, and even then it has a more satirical tone than horror. Really, it's about taking the tropes of the doubting priest and loss of faith from more typical exorcism movies and extending them into psychological realism, exploring the lived response to the event. I found it quite moving!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

the screenwriter spun some bullshit about how it was all supposed to be really subtle but then Patton screwed that up by being gay and making it too obvious.

I started to joke about the subtlety of slapping the gym coach's naked butt, but it's actually possible that this was subtle for the era.

In 1985, gays in mainstream entertainment were largely either invisible or portrayed as parody. It might not even occur to anyone that the protagonist of a big deal sequel would be a gay character. Gay characters in '85 media spent their screentime screaming at the audience that they're gay.

Instead, Jesse is focused on coping with his Freddy Kruger situation. He's just an Elm St kid who is also gay, and that's extremely unusual in representation for the time.

The TL;DR is my theory that 1985 GAYDAR was easier to evade, so the writers might not be full of poo poo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Definitely watch Scream, Queen! lol

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

Taking a bit too long beats doing all nighters when working on a deadline with too short a notice.

Post-production takes time and it always helps a lot to just take a break every now and then and come back to something after you've spent a while thinking about something else.

I once cut a short from 7+ minutes to about 3 after thinking it was finished for months and then coming back to it and being like "hmmm this entire opening sequence is superfluous. I can just cut everything except this last scene and though I'll lose a bunch of shots I love and/or am just attached to because getting them was a lot of work it will work better." Film was still pretty amateurish but not as bad once I'd cut out literally all the fat I didn't notice because I was too invested in it and filming it was still so recent.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly the end of my short has been a drat near nightmare lol. Not fun at all. So yeah…I feeel

But I was saying that I wish it didn’t take so long bc it feels like I may have missed the boat. Kids Vs Aliens was my original title lol, (high school kids vs aliens to be specific) and with stranger things and It and the new ghostbusters idk if people really wanted more kids fighting monsters. But ah well.

Is what it is.

Sending it out to festivals this week. Hope for the best. Expect the worst!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Definitely watch Scream, Queen! lol

Mission accepted! This is so excellent, I love it so far.

E:

moths posted:

The TL;DR is my theory that 1985 GAYDAR was easier to evade, so the writers might not be full of poo poo.

I enjoyed laughing hard at myself as a montage of 1985 people proved me wrong. You learn something new every day.

moths fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 9, 2021

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I watched Goodnight Mommy in the hospital a few hours after coming too from a heart procedure (Corona-times, so alone). That was an experience.

I like both it and The Lodge.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I finally caught up with the 1979 novelization of Halloween which I'd always been curious about, and the book is kind of a revelation!

I went in predisposed to hate the "old Celtic curse" angle that the book is (in)famous for and was pleasantly surprised that I didn't. It's pretty much a teachable example of something that can work in books (or at least "get away with") a lot better than on screen - books come off as lore, they're text, they have narrators, narrators tell tales and can be unreliable; movies feel closer to abject reality.

I honestly wonder if John Carpenter and/or Debra Hill had more input here than your typical novelization. First because it's evident both Halloween II and the contemporaneous Halloween TV extended cut attempt to canonize this book (the most direct example being the "I've been trick or treated to death tonight"/"You don't know what death is" exchange which is here verbatim), and it seems odd for Carpenter to show such reverence for a tie-in novel.

And it also just feels way more like a natural extension of what's on screen rather than the clever embellishments of a hired gun trying to pad a film out to novel-length.

I've read conflicting stories over who the author is. "Curtis Richards" might be the pseudonym for a literary agent named Richard Curtis, but it's also been purported to be Dennis Etchison, who seemed to have something of an ongoing working relationship with Carpenter and Hill (they notably hired him to write the script for Halloween IV before they ended up selling their stake in the franchise to Moustapha Akkad, for instance).

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

And it also just feels way more like a natural extension of what's on screen rather than the clever embellishments of a hired gun trying to pad a film out to novel-length.

Elaborating on this, like it suddenly makes all too much sense that deep down Loomis truly believes there's something supernatural about Myers but dares not say it out loud any further than euphemisms like "pure evil" and "inhuman." The end is slightly rearranged so that "As a matter of fact, it was" is the very last sentence of the book, and it carries context that Myers' improbable survival is (for Loomis, at least) the final confirmation that he is indeed beyond natural.

The book also makes it explicit that there's both a sexual component to Myers' killings and that he has a special fixation on his sister (he starts stalking Laurie because she reminds him of his sister), and it feels right because of course it is. The popular notion of "Michael Myers is an inexplicable avatar of life's random cruelty" is appealing for sure, and it's understandable that Carpenter would want to distance his work from accusations of moralizing sexuality, but seeing a contemporary "official" source put it so plainly is a stark reminder that it's there. It's obvious that there's a method to Michael Myers' madness and it all revolves around his older sister having sex.

Hey, this is all a hunch and I could be all wrong and chances are this really was all just a more-interesting-than-usual novelization that Carpenter didn't mind cribbing a few bits from, but it just carries a weird air of credibility that makes it fun to speculate that at one point early on the major players involved considered this book The Official Canon Full Story of Halloween.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I finally caught up with the 1979 novelization of Halloween which I'd always been curious about, and the book is kind of a revelation!

I went in predisposed to hate the "old Celtic curse" angle that the book is (in)famous for and was pleasantly surprised that I didn't. It's pretty much a teachable example of something that can work in books (or at least "get away with") a lot better than on screen - books come off as lore, they're text, they have narrators, narrators tell tales and can be unreliable; movies feel closer to abject reality.

I honestly wonder if John Carpenter and/or Debra Hill had more input here than your typical novelization. First because it's evident both Halloween II and the contemporaneous Halloween TV extended cut attempt to canonize this book (the most direct example being the "I've been trick or treated to death tonight"/"You don't know what death is" exchange which is here verbatim), and it seems odd for Carpenter to show such reverence for a tie-in novel.

I've read conflicting stories over who the author is. "Curtis Richards" might be the pseudonym for a literary agent named Richard Curtis, but it's also been purported to be Dennis Etchison, who seemed to have something of an ongoing working relationship with Carpenter and Hill (they notably hired him to write the script for Halloween IV before they ended up selling their stake in the franchise to Moustapha Akkad, for instance).

Did you read an actual physical copy? If so, how much did that run you? I would love the novelizations for Halloween, Friday the 13th 1-3 and A Nightmare on Elm Street 1-3, but they aren't cheap. I can only imagine pandemic collecting made them even more expensive.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

moths posted:

I started to joke about the subtlety of slapping the gym coach's naked butt, but it's actually possible that this was subtle for the era.

In 1985, gays in mainstream entertainment were largely either invisible or portrayed as parody. It might not even occur to anyone that the protagonist of a big deal sequel would be a gay character. Gay characters in '85 media spent their screentime screaming at the audience that they're gay.

Instead, Jesse is focused on coping with his Freddy Kruger situation. He's just an Elm St kid who is also gay, and that's extremely unusual in representation for the time.

I dunno, it has a scene Jesse runs away from making out with his girlfriend and jumps into bed with his shirtless best friend, seems pretty unambiguously gay

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

That's amazing, "you don't know what death is" is probably my favorite Loomis line of the whole series and I had no idea it was in a novelization. It never fails to make me laugh out loud because it almost has comedic timing to it with how Loomis delivers the line and then the music kicks in and he turns and runs the other way.

gey muckle mowser posted:

I dunno, it has a scene Jesse runs away from making out with his girlfriend and jumps into bed with his shirtless best friend, seems pretty unambiguously gay

Either way, the point is that the screenwriter chose to give a stupid and offensive answer when asked about it. He could've said "well I thought I was being subtle but over the years the culture changed and people started seeing the themes as much more obvious than how I thought I was writing them", but instead he said "I tried to make it subtle but then Mark Patton came in and made everything extra gay". It comes off like the guy is homophobic or was afraid of being labeled as gay himself so he decided to put all the "blame" on Patton.

Not only that, the documentary gave him an opportunity to own up to it and apologize to Mark, but he just gives mealy mouthed bullshit again and it was insulting to Mark.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 9, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Franchescanado posted:

Did you read an actual physical copy? If so, how much did that run you? I would love the novelizations for Halloween, Friday the 13th 1-3 and A Nightmare on Elm Street 1-3, but they aren't cheap. I can only imagine pandemic collecting made them even more expensive.

I used to have the novelisation of Elm Street 1-3. I use the singular because it was one slim volume covering all three movies. It was complete garbage, barely more than an AD track for the movie. No attempts to add anything, no unproduced/deleted scenes or backstory from the godbook.

For me the peak BOTM is always going to be Highlander. It adds a second meeting between MacLeod and Kastagir that is almost funnier than the first, some detail on how MacLeod became a blacksmith, but most importantly it has a godbook history of the Kurgan that enriches the character enormously. It's the only time a novelisation has made me enjoy the movie more.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

In Scream, Queen that writer came across as remarkably insincere - I thought he was joking or something until I realized what he was saying.

In some level he must know that he ruined a kid's promising career. The lie is conscious-assauging wallpaper, and he's been looking at it for decades.

It's still total BS, but the alternative is feeling remorse.

I feel like if that makeup person hadn't kept the claw out of his mouth, we'd still be seeing it tattooed on people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea it actually could've turned into almost a heartwarming moment, if the writer had come ready to apologize with genuine desire to make things right. I felt like Mark was ready to accept an apology and would've been gracious about it, but the guy just couldn't accept responsibility for what he'd said.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

In Scream, Queen that writer came across as remarkably insincere - I thought he was joking or something until I realized what he was saying.

In some level he must know that he ruined a kid's promising career. The lie is conscious-assauging wallpaper, and he's been looking at it for decades.

It's still total BS, but the alternative is feeling remorse.

I feel like if that makeup person hadn't kept the claw out of his mouth, we'd still be seeing it tattooed on people.

I think it's one of those things where you lie about your intention so much that it just becomes reality and he's repressed any truth or sincerity he used to be capable of about it.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea it actually could've turned into almost a heartwarming moment, if the writer had come ready to apologize with genuine desire to make things right. I felt like Mark was ready to accept an apology and would've been gracious about it, but the guy just couldn't accept responsibility for what he'd said.

I agree, but I can't help but find it heartwarming that Patton basically becomes the bigger man and allows himself to release the animosity he's held for so long. He gets to go on and be happier for it, while the writer is going to continue to be a human blob of repression and self-loathing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

I used to have the novelisation of Elm Street 1-3. I use the singular because it was one slim volume covering all three movies. It was complete garbage, barely more than an AD track for the movie. No attempts to add anything, no unproduced/deleted scenes or backstory from the godbook.

I had this too, it ruled. Loved the prequel short story at the end too. Wish I still had it.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Franchescanado posted:

Nah, :filez: all the way. Transcriptions are all over the web, but there's a particularly good quality fan-made reproduction in Kindle ebook format that's not too hard to find (hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by mentioning its existence...).

If you have your heart set on a physical copy, I hear that if you're patient and deal with actual fans you can eventually get hooked up for a much more decent price than you see on the market. My understanding is that it's rare but it's not quite $600-for-a-non-mint-copy rare that scalpers on Amazon and ebay would have you believe.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

For me the peak BOTM is always going to be Highlander. It adds a second meeting between MacLeod and Kastagir that is almost funnier than the first, some detail on how MacLeod became a blacksmith, but most importantly it has a godbook history of the Kurgan that enriches the character enormously. It's the only time a novelisation has made me enjoy the movie more.

I was aware that it was the first three films in one book. The rest is news to me. Shame. I'd still like it, probably, but more as a collectors item than actual reading material.

Nah, :filez: all the way. Transcriptions are all over the web, but there's a particularly good quality fan-made reproduction in Kindle ebook format that's not too hard to find (hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by mentioning its existence...).

If you have your heart set on a physical copy, I hear that if you're patient and deal with actual fans you can eventually get hooked up for a much more decent price than you see on the market. My understanding is that it's rare but it's not quite $600-for-a-non-mint-copy rare that scalpers on Amazon and ebay would have you believe.

MZ can rap my knuckles if he would like, but I think a kindle format ebook of a movie novelization that's been out of print since the 70's is okay. Do you have a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Franchescanado posted:

MZ can rap my knuckles if he would like, but I think a kindle format ebook of a movie novelization that's been out of print since the 70's is okay. Do you have a link?

Well let's say https://retroreadingtime.com/ is dedicated entirely to making ebooks from out-of-print licensed works that no current publisher cares about. Should work with any ereader app or device.