Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
It bothers me more than it should that The Invitation reuses the title of a really great movie that’s less than a decade old.

Gonna go see the new Orphan movie later today, looking forward to it. I remember the first one being surprisingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Watched Blob 88 last night. That movie fuckin rules.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I was really confused that everyone was suddenly talking about The Invitation because its like a 8 year old film.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ambitious Spider posted:

Saw it last night. I don't think it's as bad as a lot of reviews have made it out to be, but it's not very good either. It's fun when it's leaning hard into being Gothic and spooky, but that's very little of the movie. A lot of it is sort of a 50 shades kind of thing with rich aristocrat, and plucky poor artist meeting. There's also a bunch of stuff I thought (major spoilers if you care)were cutesy little references but, actually It's a sequel to Dracula, if Dracula won

I'd say wait til it''s streaming. Crimson Peak it's not.

Oh wait, there’s an actual twist? The trailer seemed to cover the entire film’s story beats in about 2 minutes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chris James 2 posted:

Not a big ask at all!

edit: for future reference trakt.tv has all this information and is where I get it from. Rarely things will be outdated but usually they update fast on when stuff is off or elsewhere, same for when it's available for purchase/rental only

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

Oh wait, there’s an actual twist? The trailer seemed to cover the entire film’s story beats in about 2 minutes.

A minor twist, you might find groan worthy!

fake edit after watching the trailer-

Wow, that really is basically the last 20 minutes of the movie cut down to two minutes, including at least a passing reference to what I had spoiled.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Invitation looks pretty bad, but The Invitation is great!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

A minor twist, you might find groan worthy!

fake edit after watching the trailer-

Wow, that really is basically the last 20 minutes of the movie cut down to two minutes, including at least a passing reference to what I had spoiled.

Is the twist "the Harkers"?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Logan Marshal Greene deserves bigger roles. I thought he was ready to pop after Upgrade. He’s consistently great in everything he does even when the all around project isn’t that good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dorium posted:

Logan Marshal Greene deserves bigger roles. I thought he was ready to pop after Upgrade. He’s consistently great in everything he does even when the all around project isn’t that good.
I liked him in Prometheus too! Prometheus rules

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Rageaholic posted:

I liked him in Prometheus too! Prometheus rules

He had a pulpy noir assassin show set in the late 60’s on Cinemax awhile ago called Quarry that was some of the finest action/noir television ever conceived that didn’t get a second season. Dudes just had some bummer luck getting propelled into the next level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgISvffeT-8

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom Hardy's underrated twin

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Only a few minutes into Mad God and wow this is like Tetanus: The Movie

E: this is his vengeance upon the world for a decade of "Dinosaur Supervisor" jokes, isn't it

Phy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 27, 2022

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

pospysyl posted:

Is the twist "the Harkers"?

We’ll kind of in that the vampire is actually Dracula! And the movie more or less acts like he was victorious in the books. Takes place at carfax abbey, Lucy is one of his brides, etc… they fudge the ages a bit, but it’s Mina and John

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ambitious Spider posted:

Saw it last night. I don't think it's as bad as a lot of reviews have made it out to be, but it's not very good either. It's fun when it's leaning hard into being Gothic and spooky, but that's very little of the movie. A lot of it is sort of a 50 shades kind of thing with rich aristocrat, and plucky poor artist meeting. There's also a bunch of stuff I thought (major spoilers if you care)were cutesy little references but, actually It's a sequel to Dracula, if Dracula won

I'd say wait til it''s streaming. Crimson Peak it's not.

Perfect response, thank you

Speaking of Crimson Peak, I loved 99% of that movie, but thought the very ending was a huge missed opportunity. I thought I saw where it was about to go, and was excited because it would have been the perfect climax and thematic resonance to the villain's arc and motivation, but then it swerved in a pretty uninteresting way.

So the protagonist is running from the antagonist sister lady, circling the giant clay excavation machine the brother designed. Sister's whole characterization is about how she refuses to leave (or let anyone else leave) this decaying family estate that's literally sinking into the muck. The metaphors are rampant.

Sister is wearing, iirc, a flowing dress or robe. She is about to stab protagonist, but sees the ghost of her brother, and protagonist takes the opportunity to bonk her on the head with a shovel. The End.

WHAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A COOLER ENDING WITH ACTUAL THEMATIC SIGNIFICANCE TO THE CHARACTERS AND NARRATIVE: Sister's flowing dress is caught in the teeth of the excavator, and she dragged down into the muck and smothered/crushed. It would have looked sick as hell and reinforced the theme that she is being undone by her obsession with squatting in this sinking marsh. The metaphor would be made literal as she gets the most direct interpretation of what she always wanted.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Creepy Japanese found footage Youtube channel Q uploaded a new video today. If you haven't seen their stuff before, you should watch it - this one is pretty good too.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The spoilers for The Invitation make me a lot more interested in the movie, honestly

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody see Broadcast Signal Intrusion? Just checked the trailer on Shudder.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

edit: for future reference trakt.tv has all this information and is where I get it from. Rarely things will be outdated but usually they update fast on when stuff is off or elsewhere, same for when it's available for purchase/rental only

[

Is there much difference between trakt and justwatch?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The spoilers for The Invitation make me a lot more interested in the movie, honestly

Yeah same here. I was like "Nah," but then I read the spoilers and was like " Okay , yeah that's pretty interesting "

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

Is there much difference between trakt and justwatch?

I think they both have the same info, trakt is just more helpful to me because it also helps me easily keep track of what I watch and when I watch it which I rely on a lot for help with thread challenges involving first time watches

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah same here. I was like "Nah," but then I read the spoilers and was like " Okay , yeah that's pretty interesting "

I’m assuming some posters here must work in like a competing ad company or something, because they’re doing a much better job getting me interested to see The Invitation than I was before.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So I really liked Howl. Very good werewolf movie. I think I am going to watch The Howling next.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hollismason posted:

So I really liked Howl. Very good werewolf movie. I think I am going to watch The Howling next.

It was, wasn’t it! And you’ve had a great run of werewolf movies lately.

I think I followed pretty much your same path with them about three years back. Found Bad Moon, Late Stages, and Howl all on Prime and had never heard of any of them, watched them all in one afternoon/evening.

And later followed up with the classics like American Werewolf, the Howling, Dog Soldiers, and Wolfman ‘41.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 28, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I saw The Invitation (2022) earlier and thought it was decent, maybe because I hadn't seen the trailers beforehand, which evidently spoil the twist and also the last 20 minutes :x That's the best approach I can think of for seeing it because it becomes a drastically more-competent/interesting film that's essentially a slow burn making you wonder what's up because there's definitely a feeling of something being off

On its own, it starts out (and is 70%) an atmospheric romantic drama about a black woman (Nathalie Emmanuel) discovering a white British cousin (Hugh Skinner), meeting him, and visiting his family (and their maids and their friends) for a special wedding whereupon she falls for family friend Thomas Doherty, while everyone else around alternates between their own variation of off, whether it's too nice (Alana Boden), too sassy (Stephanie Corneliussen), or too much of an rear end in a top hat (butler Sean Pertwee, who I adored in Dog Soldiers and am happy he still gets to be a dick in films)

And yeah the twist is Doherty and the family are a bunch of Draculas, the maids are the meals, the friends have been helping provide the Draculas meals as part of a truce to stay alive (the implication being this also isn't the only such section of not just England but the world where the Draculas have won), and the wedding she's at is her own so she can join the arrangement

The biggest complaints I had really were that it doesn't go far enough in any direction to justify either the fun twist Or the homages to the films it reminds you of that you would be better off seeing instead. Some of it (not much blood, overreliance on jump scares) was due to the non-R rating obviously, but also there's some lighting issues in a few key scenes in the first half, camera wonkiness and issues in the second half, and a tacked-on sequel-tease scene at the end when the ending right before was perfectly fine

And in terms of what it reminds you of: obviously the title (this isn't The Invitation 2015), but also the baseline concept in the second paragraph is meant to remind one of Get Out, the perfectly-fine ending mentioned in the last sentence tries to have its own Ready or Not, the atmosphere and countryside setting made me and the person I was seeing it with think of Hammer films, and the twist obviously puts this in the vampire subgenre which has its own smorgasbord of great-to-amazing films. And while I didn't outright hate this like others here may have, and it didn't leave me regretting having seen it (even though other options I posited that the person I was seeing it with rejected included Bodies Bodies Bodies, 3000 Years of Longing, Beast, Fall and Where the Crawdads Sing), and I thought the cast varied from fine to impressive (Pertwee ruled, Boden and Corneliussen were fun, and I liked how creepy Doherty was throughout):

When I list all of those other films it reminds you of intentionally, it makes me want any/all of those instead. Even before getting into the fact it has a runtime longer than all of those but Get Out, which it has the same length as

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

You know, the entire time y'all were talking about Howl, I sincerely somehow thought y'all meant the Allen Ginsberg biopic was just way, way weirder than I knew about.

Instead it's a distinct movie from 5 years later that's like a siege on a train. It also looks like it fucks so I'm gonna have to watch it soon.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

MrMojok posted:

It was, wasn’t it! And you’ve had a great run of werewolf movies lately.

I think I followed pretty much your same path with them about three years back. Found Bad Moon, Late Stages, and Howl all on Prime and had never heard of any of them, watched them all in one afternoon/evening.

And later followed up with the classics like American Werewolf, the Howling, Dog Soldiers, and Wolfman ‘41.

I have had a real good run of werewolf movies. I'm saving up for American Werewolf in London , Wolfman 41. I'll probably watch The Howling then Late Phases.

I gotta work in The Howling 2 though because its so batshit outrageously good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

You know, the entire time y'all were talking about Howl, I sincerely somehow thought y'all meant the Allen Ginsberg biopic was just way, way weirder than I knew about.

Instead it's a distinct movie from 5 years later that's like a siege on a train. It also looks like it fucks so I'm gonna have to watch it soon.

That movie would have been amazing if half way through Allen Ginsberg was bitten by a werewolf.

Howl does indeed slap. Its real good and the werewolf design is really interesting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

That movie would have been amazing if half way through Allen Ginsberg was bitten by a werewolf.

Howl does indeed slap. Its real good and the werewolf design is really interesting.

hell yeah I wanna see James Franco get eaten by a were-woof

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

hell yeah I wanna see James Franco get eaten by a were-woof

I would actually settle for like James Franco getting eaten by a regular wolf or a pack of wild dogs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've seen the trailer for The Invitation a handful of times before other movies in theaters and didn't feel the need to see it because the trailer showed so much.

Chris James 2 posted:

And yeah the twist is Doherty and the family are a bunch of Draculas, the maids are the meals, the friends have been helping provide the Draculas meals as part of a truce to stay alive (the implication being this also isn't the only such section of not just England but the world where the Draculas have won), and the wedding she's at is her own so she can join the arrangement
Yep, the trailer totally ruins this lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Watcher is available to stream later today on Shudder, if you haven't seen it yet I recommend it and so does Guillermo del Toro

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1562988624987037696

Another reason to watch this btw: director Chloe Okuno has great taste

https://twitter.com/Shudder/status/1563617382937108480

Okuno's fav films on Shudder posted:

Tammy and the T-Rex
Phenomena
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
A Field in England
Ginger Snaps
Revenge
Deep Red

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

For horror movies especially so much relies on mood and pacing that trailers can't really spoil anything for me, I think they're fun short films on their own when they tell a complete story

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hey, we already have that, Under Siege is rad

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Under Siege 2: Dark Territory is a massive step down from the first but Eric Bogosian is a rather unsettling villain at times. Speaking of, he's cast as Daniel Molloy in the Interview With A Vampire series that's in pre-production.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That Firestarter remake was not good, but the abysmal reviews seem dramatic. Was pretty watchable overall, although the kid really wasn't able to pull off the finale at all so it felt really corny.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh yeah short film update. I got rejected from pretty much all of the festivals I submitted, the one I may have had a chance in cancelled. So in two weeks I’ll release it on line and just move on I guess.

I don’t think I’ll do film festivals again unless I really feel like I have something special and even then I won’t make as big a deal about it in terms of waiting a whole year.

I think just doing cool YouTube stuff is maybe a better way for me right now

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Someone on Reddit essentially made a short NOPE fan film:

It’s a bit spoilery for the film, so if you’ve not see Nope, don’t watch this.

https://imgur.com/a/vj9mv2V

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Still watching werewolf movies. Watching The Howling right now and totally forgot it was Joe Dante.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Children of Sin on Tubi is everything I wanted They/Them to be. It's not particularly good, but it is very slashy.

Shark Side of the Moon is possibly a werewolf movie. If werewolves are allowed to be organized, Soviet, and sharks. It's bad.