Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was at a cheap hotel in Boston and it was okay. I just hid in my room and ate pizza and watched AMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I was at a cheap hotel in Boston and it was okay. I just hid in my room and ate pizza and watched AMC.

u shouldve come and hung out with me and rob

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Probably should’ve. When we booked the hotel I didn’t realize the check in time was 3pm…I got there at 7am….

I ended up just taking the train to random spots until I couldn’t walk any more. And when I finally crawled into my hotel I basically slept until 10pm, ate pizza, and passed out again until 2 pm the next day lmao

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kvlt! posted:

agreed 100% ill take a cheap motel over an airbnb any day of the week. Also gently caress an uber I still use taxis lol.

At least with a hotel you're just loving there and you're not coming in exhausted from traveling and now some dumbshit is giving you a scavenger hunt to open the door.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Phy posted:

What the hell is the name of the movie where the two guys put on sleeping bags and dance around while singing "Johnny We Hardly Knew Ye", because for like ten whole seconds I expected Skarsgard to start doing that

Did anyone answer this? They Look Like People is the movie you’re asking about.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Origami Dali posted:

I saw it a month ago and I'm wondering if a second viewing will lose its effect, because the unexpected way it plays out is a big part of why I liked it so much.

I'm rewatching it now and I'm catching little nuances I missed before like when AJ's getting the news on the road, the tonal shifts and pauses of the others on the phone pretty much imply this isn't the first time he's done this, just the first time it's not going to go away and he has to face the repercussions .

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

The Hausu Usher posted:

What a strange excerpt.

If you feel the need to continue this, please pm me or just block me, as it's not fun for the thread. Thanks in advance.

Hmm maybe it's just me but I actually think it is in the thread's interests to call out when someone comes in with false info about a movie, proceeds to try to argue the fact until quickly proven wrong, then moves goalposts to stereotypes over the movie's perceived fans and creators and implying its story is merely trying to "trick" people into seeing it rather than "a good actually Underrated modern release."

I don't know what your angle is but you don't at all sound like someone who simply saw the movie and thought it wasn't very good. There's no war between whatever you're thinking Terrifier 2 is and "good actually Underrated modern release[s] like Deadstream, We're All Going to the World's Fair, The Dark and the Wicked, Hunter Hunter, Psycho Goreman, The Wolf of Snow Hollow, Scare Me, etc, etc." It's all horror, they're all on the same side.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Art the Clown vs Leprechaun: Luck O’ the Knife

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In regards to Barbarian, I feel conflicted between how it's overall just an enjoyable movie, and wondering what the point was of a lot of stuff in it.

One one hand it was really entertaining. Liked the cast, it was shot well for the most part. There was a couple of really cool ideas in there that didn't really get the attention they deserved. I loved how she drove up to the air BnB in the dark and in the morning, it turned out to be a lone, nice little house in the middle of total urban decay. But they didn't really do much with it. Very cool reveal though. Even if it was implausible I liked the concept.

The way it was presented is fun, but idg why most of the events even matter to the story which is a pretty basic freak locked in a secret room tale. You have the initial red herring, which is that you think the movie is going to be about how Bill Skarsgård is secretly a psycho or something. But he's not. He's just some guy. They have crazy coincidental stuff in common, it's just a coincidence. She catches him having night terrors, I guess that's just something he deals with. She does all this weird poo poo like rummaging through his stuff and taking pics of his ID. None of it matters, because he really doesn't exist in the story in any meaningful way other than to eventually get his head smashed.

Then the movie takes a left turn to Justin Long. We get all this setup about how he's some hollywood creep that got me too'ed. Really didn't seem to matter for any reason other than to set him up as a prick so no one cared when he died. Like Bill Skarsgård, he could have just been random that walked into the story and it wouldn't have changed anything.

Then we get a flashback to the serial killer guy planning his abduction. I could have figured out any information in this flashback from the scene near the end where Justin Long finds him in bed. Seemed totally unnecessary.

Tbh very little that happens plays together in a way that feels like it needed to be in the movie at all.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

veni veni veni posted:

In regards to Barbarian, I feel conflicted between how it's overall just an enjoyable movie, and wondering what the point was of a lot of stuff in it.

One one hand it was really entertaining. Liked the cast, it was shot well for the most part. There was a couple of really cool ideas in there that didn't really get the attention they deserved. I loved how she drove up to the air BnB in the dark and in the morning, it turned out to be a lone, nice little house in the middle of total urban decay. But they didn't really do much with it. Very cool reveal though. Even if it was implausible I liked the concept.

The way it was presented is fun, but idg why most of the events even matter to the story which is a pretty basic freak locked in a secret room tale. You have the initial red herring, which is that you think the movie is going to be about how Bill Skarsgård is secretly a psycho or something. But he's not. He's just some guy. They have crazy coincidental stuff in common, it's just a coincidence. She catches him having night terrors, I guess that's just something he deals with. She does all this weird poo poo like rummaging through his stuff and taking pics of his ID. None of it matters, because he really doesn't exist in the story in any meaningful way other than to eventually get his head smashed.

Then the movie takes a left turn to Justin Long. We get all this setup about how he's some hollywood creep that got me too'ed. Really didn't seem to matter for any reason other than to set him up as a prick so no one cared when he died. Like Bill Skarsgård, he could have just been random that walked into the story and it wouldn't have changed anything.

Then we get a flashback to the serial killer guy planning his abduction. I could have figured out any information in this flashback from the scene near the end where Justin Long finds him in bed. Seemed totally unnecessary.

Tbh very little that happens plays together in a way that feels like it needed to be in the movie at all.

Counterpoint: Narrative misdirection can be fun and cool. When it's used well, as in the case of Barbarian, the device can enhance the film viewer's experience. Not every character detail or incident has to be woven into the plot or be critical to the denouement.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the best part of Barbarian was toward the end when it hit me that Richard Brake had 2 roles lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rental Sting posted:

Counterpoint: Narrative misdirection can be fun and cool. When it's used well, as in the case of Barbarian, the device can enhance the film viewer's experience. Not every character detail or incident has to be woven into the plot or be critical to the denouement.

That's where I'm conflicted. I don't know if I feel it was used well. You could argue it's used well in the sense that it's entertaining to watch, but at the same time it felt pretty meaningless to me. I'd say good narrative misdirection is setting up something the audience expects to see and turning it on it's head. Not setting up a bunch of plot points that go nowhere or add almost nothing to the overall story. I think lot of it just felt random and could have been replaced by anything. There's not a single moment I can think of where the movie makes clever use of it's misdirection.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I do agree with both of your points. I think Barbarian used it okay but I lean towards Veni Veni Veni that everything did feel very unconnected in the end

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STEPHEN NO (post was about Art the Clown)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Hmm maybe it's just me but I actually think it is in the thread's interests to call out when someone comes in with false info about a movie, proceeds to try to argue the fact until quickly proven wrong, then moves goalposts to stereotypes over the movie's perceived fans and creators and implying its story is merely trying to "trick" people into seeing it rather than "a good actually Underrated modern release."

I don't know what your angle is but you don't at all sound like someone who simply saw the movie and thought it wasn't very good. There's no war between whatever you're thinking Terrifier 2 is and "good actually Underrated modern release[s] like Deadstream, We're All Going to the World's Fair, The Dark and the Wicked, Hunter Hunter, Psycho Goreman, The Wolf of Snow Hollow, Scare Me, etc, etc." It's all horror, they're all on the same side.

Agreed completely

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

One one hand it was really entertaining.

There's no other point. A movie being really entertaining is it. Nothing wrong with that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People got mad when Scorsese compared a movie series to theme park rides but theme park rides are actually awesome as hell, and Barbarian is a theme park ride. It just goes for it and has a great time. And that’s the point.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I felt that the "misdirections" reinforced the themes about how women and men live in very different realities. Yeah, Tess takes a photo of the guy's ID — because that's just common sense for a woman. Doesn't matter if the guy was an actual creep or not.

Tess made a point about how men can just throw themselves into any situation because they don't have to live in constant fear of real danger. That's turned around in Barbarian, where the two men are punished for their reckless behavior by some monsterized woman/mother id (manifested by the horrible actions of the basement patriarch)

I'm probably stating obvious poo poo but whatever. Point is, I didn't feel that Barbarian had much if any bloat, or any unnecessary"misdirections", and it definitely didn't have thrills just for the sake of thrills. It was surprisingly thoughtful albeit in a very blunt and entertaining way.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Justin Long:
* Jeepers Creepers (also II)
* Drag Me To Hell
* Tusk
* Barbarian

Mans a modern scream queen.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

He was really good in Barbarian. Such a perfect sleazebag.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Justin Long:
* Drag Me To Hell
* Tusk
* Barbarian

Bill Skarsgård also seems to be angling for that status

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Terrifier 2 is the best horror of the year so far until i remember the Sadness came out in 2022 and i love t2 but its tough to beat the Sadness

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

All the parts in Barbarian do fit together, thematically. Same as Nope with the Gordy angle. The Dead Meat podcast did a pretty good job breaking Barbarian down.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Justin Long:
* Drag Me To Hell
* Tusk
* Barbarian

He also stars in House of Darkness as the only real highlight of that movie.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Hey a year ago ITT I wrote about the infamous, enigmatic, and long OOP original Halloween novelization:

I finally caught up with the 1979 novelization of Halloween which I'd always been curious about, and the book is kind of a revelation!

I went in predisposed to hate the "old Celtic curse" angle that the book is (in)famous for and was pleasantly surprised that I didn't. It's pretty much a teachable example of something that can work in books (or at least "get away with") a lot better than on screen - books come off as lore, they're text, they have narrators, narrators tell tales and can be unreliable; movies feel closer to abject reality.

I honestly wonder if John Carpenter and/or Debra Hill had more input here than your typical novelization. First because it's evident both Halloween II and the contemporaneous Halloween TV extended cut attempt to canonize this book (the most direct example being the "I've been trick or treated to death tonight"/"You don't know what death is" exchange which is here verbatim), and it seems odd for Carpenter to show such reverence for a tie-in novel.

And it also just feels way more like a natural extension of what's on screen rather than the clever embellishments of a hired gun trying to pad a film out to novel-length.

I've read conflicting stories over who the author is. "Curtis Richards" might be the pseudonym for a literary agent named Richard Curtis, but it's also been purported to be Dennis Etchison, who seemed to have something of an ongoing working relationship with Carpenter and Hill (they notably hired him to write the script for Halloween IV before they ended up selling their stake in the franchise to Moustapha Akkad, for instance).

Well little did i know that the recent behind-the-scenes book Taking Shape by Dustin McNeill and Travis Mullins managed to track down and interview the elusive Curtis Richards! Paraphrasing:
  • "Curtis Richards" is indeed a publishing agent named Richard Curtis.
  • Curtis was attached to the project entirely through his publisher and never met anyone associated with the film.
  • In fact, Curtis wasn't even sent a script to work from. He had to take notes at a theater screening (this was 1979, the movie had already been released).
  • Curtis came up with the novelization's liberties entirely on his own as he felt Michael's opaque nature might not translate well to the page, as well as to pad the length. He says he's amazed he got away with it, too.
  • He's never seen any of the Halloween sequels and had no idea that any of them used material from his book.
  • He's reached out to the Halloween producers multiple times over the years to rerelease the book but they've been consistently in their refusal and he's really puzzled by it.
So... it appears John Carpenter just kind of stole all that stuff wholesale from the novelization, and a major plot point that's influenced the series for years afterward (even the latest movie has a very oblique, tentative suggestion of some kind of inheritable evil curse, maybe, if that's how you want to think about it) was all a result of an anonymous hired gun making things up for a piece of licensed tie-in merchandise that got ripped off by a desperate and drunk John Carpenter during a fit of writer's block! :shrug: :ms:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I loved the first couple of segments of Cabinet, even though these were the two episodes I was least interested in. It nails the exact tone I want - just goopy and dark enough without crossing any major lines into uncomfortable territory for me. Both episodes being cast perfectly definitely helped.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Chris James 2 posted:

Agreed completely

LOL at "proven wrong". I mean, my post:

The Hausu Usher posted:

the thing the fans are going on about is an 8 year old clown design destroying young women (again).

Regarding Terrifier 2 fans (on various social media, Letterboxd, underneath reviews across the internet) mostly raving about that isn't "a lie". Since yesterday morning I've seen a lot more chat about the dream scenes (mostly ITT) which has diluted my distaste a fair bit. The way that sentence was misquoted just made it seem like a bad faith argument which would be dragged over multiple posts about semantics and I'm not really interested in that which is why I asked for a PM.

Now if the point is engaging with claims of feeling that there's misogyny in the film, then no, parity of gender in gore scenes is not a valid counter-point. It is just not that simple, is it? Surely you have to engage with how women are treated in society, in entertainment, horror, etc.....ahh.

I mean, gently caress.

I'm huffing and puffing about going into the weeds on this one because c'mon, it's a conversation that was done with the first film. I don't really want to poo poo in other's cornflakes, as the thread seems to be enjoying the film - I expressed my opinion and can move on to other films I actually like. I get bad vibes about the film/filmmaker who has repeated this same sort of scene across all his films (girls care so much about their looks, what a morality tale to take it away from them in extreme fashion), a bunch of people don't get the bad vibes - they think it's fun and goopy, and that's cool. I don't think they're bad people but I don't recommend the film - especially not to people who didn't like the previous one. Also I came up with some fun, goopy horror I have enjoyed as recommendations - not as a "war" (not sure what your point was there). I hope that clears it up. If not, please do let me know what "false info" I am posting, so I can amend.

Otherwise, different strokes for different folks.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hell yes, Barbarian is finally getting a theatrical release in the UK, I'm gonna see it on Friday, purely based on how much this thread has recommended it. And I'm going in as blind as I can.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I would have appreciated more detail in the serial killer flashback, but that probably would have made the movie too tonally dark and too long for what they were going for. As it stands, I agree that it would have been better not to have the flashback at all, even though Richard Brake kills it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

anatomi posted:

I felt that the "misdirections" reinforced the themes about how women and men live in very different realities. Yeah, Tess takes a photo of the guy's ID — because that's just common sense for a woman. Doesn't matter if the guy was an actual creep or not.

Tess made a point about how men can just throw themselves into any situation because they don't have to live in constant fear of real danger. That's turned around in Barbarian, where the two men are punished for their reckless behavior by some monsterized woman/mother id (manifested by the horrible actions of the basement patriarch)

I'm probably stating obvious poo poo but whatever. Point is, I didn't feel that Barbarian had much if any bloat, or any unnecessary"misdirections", and it definitely didn't have thrills just for the sake of thrills. It was surprisingly thoughtful albeit in a very blunt and entertaining way.

Yeah this is how I saw it. Also I think that the three male characters are meant to be essentially all on the same spectrum.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Watched Vampire's Kiss last night. More '80s yuppie satire then it is a bona fide vampire or horror movie, but who really cares when it's such a great showcase for a completely and utterly coked-out, demented Nicolas Cage performance.

Have seen very little of the big, long-running horror franchises, so I watched the original Nightmare on Elm Street. Craven does a really good job of grounding the physics-defying nature of the horror in enough physical reality to make the contrast genuinely disturbing (the gravity-defying first kill, the body bag scene, etc)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really appreciated Barbarian's restraint in the flashback. You came out knowing exactly what you needed to know, and the fact that the worst parts took place in your imagination made it feel both less exploitative and also grosser.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The narrative digressions in Barbarian are all tied to the central theme of the movie, which is male violence, mainly sexual, against women, and the long trail of trauma left by that.

Tess and Keith literally talk in the first segment about how if the situation were reversed, she would have never let him into the house. There’s special care shown in the movie to when doors are locked and unlocked. In the serial killer flashback, we see Richard Brake’s character easily walk through a woman’s door with his lies.

AJ thinks what he’s done is a mistake and he would never do it again, but at the end ultimately shows that he views women as literally beneath him and sacrifices Tess to save his own life. He is then pulled apart by a literal embodiment of men’s violence against women.

It’s really a testament to how well made the film is that it’s still so FUN despite its heavy themes. Props to the director.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Barry Convex posted:

More '80s yuppie satire then it is a bona fide vampire or horror movie

Ummm maybe you missed the part where Cage is screaming "I'm a vampire! I'm a vampire!" It's pretty clear he's a vampire.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
In Barbarian, the misdirection is what made me really enjoy it. When it cut to Justin Long I was kinda sitting there with my mouth wide open not understanding WTF is going on, and then the first thought was that this was a horror anthology. When he started talking about properties in Michigan I got a huge grin on my face thinking OH poo poo ! The flashback I was still reeling from the end of that scene and didn't catch it was a flashback until I noticed all the cars were old as poo poo. Maybe my brain works half as good as everyone elses, but poo poo like that made me enjoy the movie so much more.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Props to the director.

Still wild Zach Cregger wrote and directed this.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Conrad_Birdie posted:

The narrative digressions in Barbarian are all tied to the central theme of the movie, which is male violence, mainly sexual, against women, and the long trail of trauma left by that.

Tess and Keith literally talk in the first segment about how if the situation were reversed, she would have never let him into the house. There’s special care shown in the movie to when doors are locked and unlocked. In the serial killer flashback, we see Richard Brake’s character easily walk through a woman’s door with his lies.

AJ thinks what he’s done is a mistake and he would never do it again, but at the end ultimately shows that he views women as literally beneath him and sacrifices Tess to save his own life. He is then pulled apart by a literal embodiment of men’s violence against women.

It’s really a testament to how well made the film is that it’s still so FUN despite its heavy themes. Props to the director.

Yeah Cregger said in our screening that if Barbarian is about one thing, it's the red flags women have to constantly be aware of just to navigate the world. I really like how Barbarian approaches this in different ways.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Benito Cereno posted:

Did anyone answer this? They Look Like People is the movie you’re asking about.

That's it exactly, thank you.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Hollismason posted:

First episode of Cabinet of Curiousities is pretty good and honestly its kind of charming to have Del Toro introduce each episodes along with naming the director of each episode. Its kind of nice.

honestly, Lot 36 was pretty meh. to me, it felt like an overlong first act of a feature-length horror film, abruptly ending at the point where the plot would normally just pivot, Hope the rest are better.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

honestly, Lot 36 was pretty meh. to me, it felt like an overlong first act of a feature-length horror film, abruptly ending at the point where the plot would normally just pivot, Hope the rest are better.

I kinda thought the same in that it mostly went where you'd expect, but it was still cool and a fun way to introduce the series. The Natali one is really great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I liked Lot 36 alright as a bite sized occult story. I always enjoy seeing Tim Blake Nelson though so maybe I was blinded by his high wattage stardom