Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Just showed the wife the awesomeness that is Fright Night.

Brewster, you're so cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Narzack posted:

Just showed the wife the awesomeness that is Fright Night.

Brewster, you're so cool!

I'm sure you've seen it, but the documentary on the production is fantastic.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Boar is worth watching for John Jarrett alone

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm sure you've seen it, but the documentary on the production is fantastic.

I haven't! What is it called?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Narzack posted:

I haven't! What is it called?

You're So Cool, Brewster!: The Story of Fright Night.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I started listening to The Evolution of Horror podcast this morning, and I'm surprisingly impressed by how detailed and respectful of the genre it is. I was expecting your generic "here are the top 10 horror movies and why they're important" rehashing that we've seen a thousand times (*cough Eli Roth's history of horror on Shudder cough*) but they get pretty in depth with some relatively obscure stuff and the interview with Kim Newman is really great.

They actually made a pretty interesting point that the reason Carpenter's Halloween is so good is because we relate to and love Laurie so much, whereas Michael is just a non-person entity - more a plot point than anything else. And the reason Rob Zombie's Halloween fails so hard is because he loves Michael so much and doesn't give a poo poo about Laurie. I think that's a very good reading of the situation.

Anyway, I've only listened to the first episode, but I'm impressed and can recommend it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

They actually made a pretty interesting point that the reason Carpenter's Halloween is so good is because we relate to and love Laurie so much, whereas Michael is just a non-person entity - more a plot point than anything else. And the reason Rob Zombie's Halloween fails so hard is because he loves Michael so much and doesn't give a poo poo about Laurie. I think that's a very good reading of the situation.

That's certainly a legitimate opinion to have but I admit it annoys me when it's presented as this accepted fact that nobody could ever disagree with. As if it would be impossible for someone to enjoy Zombie's take on Michael just as much as Carpenter's.

Gejimayu posted:

Id really love to hear people's Top 3 (or 5?) Exorcism movies.

1. The Exorcist
2. The Exorcist III
3. Exorcist II: The Heretic
4. Dominion

No need to watch any other Exorcism movies imo

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think there's a cut of the film without the scene but it's only a single scene but it also lasts forever, it's loving horrid and the director is a piece of poo poo for it. The film's pretty dull outside of that and you ain't missing much if you skip out on it.

He's a piece of poo poo for... documenting a licensed group of hunters doing what they normally do and using the footage with the full blessing of the society for prevention of cruelty to animals?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Catfishenfuego posted:

He's a piece of poo poo for... documenting a licensed group of hunters doing what they normally do and using the footage with the full blessing of the society for prevention of cruelty to animals?

Yeah I didn’t want to argue about this but I guess the angle was to highlight the cruelty of the hunts to try to get them banned. There’s also this which seems a little hard to believe but I guess no ones disputing it:

quote:

Producer George Willoughby reportedly fainted after seeing a kangaroo "splattered in a particularly spectacular fashion". The crew orchestrated a power failure in order to end the hunt.

That said I think the footage was mainly in the movie because it’s shocking and it wasn’t entirely some brave deed on behalf of the kangaroos. I also understand why someone wouldn’t necessarily want to see it. I like the movie a lot regardless.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Oh it's perfectly understandable to not want to watch it but it sounds like s.i.r.e thinks the director orchestrated the killing himself for the movie like cannibal holocaust or something.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

That's certainly a legitimate opinion to have but I admit it annoys me when it's presented as this accepted fact that nobody could ever disagree with. As if it would be impossible for someone to enjoy Zombie's take on Michael just as much as Carpenter's.

Oh I didn't mean to present it as indisputable fact, and I don't think the podcast does either. I just think it's an interesting opinion I hadn't heard before, and one that resonates with me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

A lot of movie opnions are exactly this, there's no real reason to accept the recieved wisdom of consensus on anything because the stakes couldn't be lower.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think there's a cut of the film without the scene but it's only a single scene but it also lasts forever, it's loving horrid and the director is a piece of poo poo for it. The film's pretty dull outside of that and you ain't missing much if you skip out on it.

Wake in Fright is top tier horror, you're definitely missing out if you don't watch it. Fair enough if you don't because of the kangaroos of course.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

A lot of movie opnions are exactly this, there's no real reason to accept the recieved wisdom of consensus on anything because the stakes couldn't be lower.

Plus, I don't know how you can watch H2 and come out of it thinking that Zombie isn't interested in the Laurie character.

In H1, Laurie simply gets less emphasis because she's the film's antagonist.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

Oh I didn't mean to present it as indisputable fact, and I don't think the podcast does either. I just think it's an interesting opinion I hadn't heard before, and one that resonates with me.

Yea I wasn't referring to you as much as the podcast, but you've listened to it and I haven't. Roth has a way of presenting his opinion as the Horror Gospel though, which sometimes annoys me.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

You're So Cool, Brewster!: The Story of Fright Night.

Gracias!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

Roth has a way of presenting his opinion as the Horror Gospel though, which sometimes annoys me.

I think we've all been guilty of this at some point. In my case it's around my 'enough to drink to words start slurring' point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gejimayu posted:

Id really love to hear people's Top 3 (or 5?) Exorcism movies.

No particular order:

Abby
Exorcist
Exorcist III

There are others that are good but those are the absolute must watches to me.

Also if you haven't seen it, the Exorcist TV series is legit outstanding. Like I still can't believe it was cancelled but also still can't believe it came out as good as it did. They managed to make a show where all of the philosophical underpinnings of what a demon is/etc. from Exorcist 1 and 3 work while actually going into new territory that is good regarding why possession happens the way it does and stuff while still being JUST vague enough to not feel like things are over-explained or obvious. I was so skeptical of it for even existing but I love it. Avoid spoilers too because both seasons have a twist about halfway through that are both really well done and game changing for how that season's story plays out. There's an overarching story but each season focuses on one particular case that gets fully resolved.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think we've all been guilty of this at some point. In my case it's around my 'enough to drink to words start slurring' point.

Yea but all my spook a doodle pals in the horror thread get the benefit of the doubt, Eli Roth doesn't.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but all my spook a doodle pals in the horror thread get the benefit of the doubt, Eli Roth doesn't.

:hfive:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I saw The Dead Don't Die yesterday. It was pretty good but it requires some effort. It's very slow and deadpan, has a lot of weird underacting, but I liked it a lot. If someone told me David Lynch was the assistant director or something like that I'd believe it. It's a very meta movie so if you're gonna see it you should be prepared for that because it results in a couple of eye-rolling moments. Girlfriend loved every second of it.

Also saw Ma a few days ago and I liked it a whole lot more than I thought I would. I figured it would be a standard thriller movie, but it tips full-on into stalker-horror about halfway through and kept ramping up. Each time something would happen I was like "this is as dark as they're gonna let this get" but then there they go making it even darker. It was super weird seeing Octavia Spencer in a role like that, and she did a really great job. I'd see it again.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Snack Bitch posted:

Boar is worth watching for John Jarrett alone

He's barely in it though, it's a total waste.

Catfishenfuego posted:

It's a fictional film about shitheads in the boonies, not a documentary about hunting and running over Kangaroos.

Catfishenfuego posted:

Oh it's perfectly understandable to not want to watch it but it sounds like s.i.r.e thinks the director orchestrated the killing himself for the movie like cannibal holocaust or something.

He did though? That stuff wasn't archive footage put into the film, it was an hours long shoot made specifically for the film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's not really true. Yea, he makes an early exit but he's more or less the main character for the first half of the movie. I mean, he definitely had enough screen time to develop an actual character that I cared about, so that's usually how I judge these things.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Null of Undefined posted:

I saw The Dead Don't Die yesterday. It was pretty good but it requires some effort. It's very slow and deadpan, has a lot of weird underacting, but I liked it a lot. If someone told me David Lynch was the assistant director or something like that I'd believe it. It's a very meta movie so if you're gonna see it you should be prepared for that because it results in a couple of eye-rolling moments. Girlfriend loved every second of it.

I've been hearing mixed so I temporarily downgraded it to 'wait until streaming' until I heard more from others.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I've been hearing mixed so I temporarily downgraded it to 'wait until streaming' until I heard more from others.

That's fair, though I can pretty safely say that if I was watching it at home on my TV with the various distractions of my house, I probably wouldn't have made it through.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's a fictional film about shitheads in the boonies, not a documentary about hunting and running over Kangaroos.

He did though? That stuff wasn't archive footage put into the film, it was an hours long shoot made specifically for the film.

He literally sabotaged the kangaroo hunt when he saw how bad it was

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

I don't even need to scroll up to know you all are probably talking about Wake in Fright

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He literally sabotaged the kangaroo hunt when he saw how bad it was

Except he didn't, his crew did that and lied to the director that they didn't have enough power to continue shooting:

quote:

“It was becoming this orgy of killing and we (the crew) were getting sick of it.” West had a private word with Tony Tegg, who arranged a 'power failure'. “I told Ted that we didn't have enough light to continue.” The crew headed back to Broken Hill, some of them fighting back tears.

Then the next day he shot a scene abusing a drugged up animal.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Me reading this Wake in Fright argument:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

man Machine Girl is batshit loving insane in the best way haha this movie is nuts

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Just popped on my Facebook feed. I'm curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtYTwUxhAoI

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

M_Sinistrari posted:

Same

Hope I forget a couple of those beats by the time I see it, there's a couple of potentially good gotcha moments in that trailer

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Well at least somebody is picking up the mantle and making a gory horror black comedy after Adam Wingard started directing nothing but remakes. Remakes and/or big budget sequels.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

M_Sinistrari posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtYTwUxhAoI

It's like Game Night, but good.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Two things I learned about Ready or Not in the past five minutes:

1) It's directed by the two guys who did the final segment of V/H/S, the group of friends stumbling on a spooky house while looking for a friend's party

2) The lead character here is the babysitter from The Babysitter

I take both of these facts as overwhelming positives.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone watching Los Espookys on HBO? First ep was pretty good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Two things I learned about Ready or Not in the past five minutes:

1) It's directed by the two guys who did the final segment of V/H/S, the group of friends stumbling on a spooky house while looking for a friend's party

2) The lead character here is the babysitter from The Babysitter

I take both of these facts as overwhelming positives.

Ooh.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Anyone watching Los Espookys on HBO? First ep was pretty good.

The trailers looked interesting but I was waiting to hear some opinions first.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Kvlt! posted:

man Machine Girl is batshit loving insane in the best way haha this movie is nuts
It's been a while since I looked into the splatter horror comedy genre, but Machine Girl and Tokyo Gore Police set the bar really high for me. So much fun.

Anyone know if any others along those lines have come out recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Oh, man, it's so good.