Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The new Lucky McKee, Kindred Spirits, isn't really much of anything besides a pretty good performance from Caitlin Stasey. Most everything else isn't given much time and I'm not quite sure what Macon Blair was doing in this. It just all seems very...thin? for a McKee and kinda seems like it was adapted from one of those teen horror books by Christopher Pike or RL Stine. It's fine I guess but might be his worst movie yet, depending on how much you like All Cheerleaders Die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

M_Sinistrari posted:

How so? I admit it does have some fairly big flaws and I'm curious to hear what you've got to say on it.

It's also one of those films that can't live up to its introduction. Really loved the first 10-15 minutes of that movie. Same problem with the Transformers movie (from 1986).

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Alvarez IV posted:

What's some low-budget, sleazy, camp horror or horror-adjacent stuff that will scratch my itch for Troma/John Waters/Rocky Horror? For comparison's sake, a friend told me about "Attack of the Adult Babies" which I might just watch based off the name alone, which has never failed me before (looking at you, "Gayniggers from Outer Space"), but if that sucks and my itch goes unscratched, I need backup.

Hobo With A Shotgun

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I guess it's now officially Ewan McGregor's job to helm ruinous sequels to iconic movies.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SecretOfSteel posted:

It's also one of those films that can't live up to its introduction. Really loved the first 10-15 minutes of that movie. Same problem with the Transformers movie (from 1986).

poo poo not even that much of the movie, the first 5 minutes are incredibly good and hugely frantic, the cinema I was in played it LOUD AS gently caress and it was just so chaotic. As soon as that first scene is done and out of the way the movie never recovers. As mentioned there's a whole load of incredibly dumb poo poo going on. I haven't seen it in years but the aforementioned helicopter scene was a full on eye roller, the way Carlisle could just wander around the military facility willy nilly because he was the janitor and that they had an actual zombie in the middle of the facility with ZERO security stood watch 'just in case'. I realise with a lot of horror you have to really suspend your disbelief but nah, this movie had used up any good-will I had for the series pretty quickly.

28 Days owns as it's own little movie, Weeks is actual trash.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

frankee posted:

Hobo With A Shotgun

hell yeah, I love that movie. The director also has a pretty good short called Treevenge that is on YouTube (I think) that has a similar tone

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

bort posted:

I guess it's now officially Ewan McGregor's job to helm ruinous sequels to iconic movies.

T2 was pretty good, though.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

gey muckle mowser posted:

hell yeah, I love that movie. The director also has a pretty good short called Treevenge that is on YouTube (I think) that has a similar tone

This Treevenge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kicdSI_-XpE

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The roommate was out so last night I got to eat spicy ramen and watch movies.

First up was The Changeling. It was decent, but I thought it would have been a better movie without all the ghost stuff.

Second up was The Perfection. It was also decent, but I thought that it would have been better with everything happening in sequence as the rewinds seemed to only exist to pad run-time

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

yep!

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Alvarez IV posted:

What's some low-budget, sleazy, camp horror or horror-adjacent stuff that will scratch my itch for Troma/John Waters/Rocky Horror? For comparison's sake, a friend told me about "Attack of the Adult Babies" which I might just watch based off the name alone, which has never failed me before (looking at you, "Gayniggers from Outer Space"), but if that sucks and my itch goes unscratched, I need backup.

Anything by Herschell Gordon Lewis

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alvarez IV posted:

The Thingy: Confessions of a Teenage Placenta will scratch all of your itches

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Jedit posted:

It very much does.

Also shout out to Alvarez, the other person who has seen GNFOS. Perhaps now people will believe me when I say it's real.

I saw it back in college, although that was like 16 years ago so I don't remember much of it.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I only checked back like 7 pages, but did anybody talk about The Field Guide to Evil?
I generally like anthologies but this one was particularly lovely even by those metrics. I guess the folklore theme restricted them a bit, but it could have been better.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ravenkult posted:

I only checked back like 7 pages, but did anybody talk about The Field Guide to Evil?
I generally like anthologies but this one was particularly lovely even by those metrics. I guess the folklore theme restricted them a bit, but it could have been better.

I was pretty excited to see it during a film festival, but skipped out on it twice from exhaustion. I think a UK goon saw it and liked it enough? Can't remember who.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Writer of The Guest, this is uh, quite high praise

https://twitter.com/Simon_Barrett/status/1141772834173157376

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
edit /\/\/\ ha!

Review of the new Child's Play that actually makes it sounds like it could be fun

https://twitter.com/RueMorgue/status/1141782918307733506?s=20

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Better than Child's Play 2? Ok buddy, we'll see about that

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Better than Child's Play 2? Ok buddy, we'll see about that

:hmmyes:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bride > Seed > 1 > Cult > 2 > Curse > 3

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

2 is a high bar to clear out of the originals so I'm interested moreso than before

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DLC Inc posted:

Writer of The Guest, this is uh, quite high praise

https://twitter.com/Simon_Barrett/status/1141772834173157376

Y'all remember when James Cameron was talking about how great Genesys is?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Bride > Seed > 1 > Cult > 2 > Curse > 3

When us olds were growing up the first three were the ones constantly playing on t.v. so I always have a hard time even seeing them all as part of the same series.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I love Simon Barrett but he's nothing if not prone to hyperbole. I'm gonna see Childs Play but my expectations are still not that high.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Y'all remember when James Cameron was talking about how great Genesys is?

ah yes, Simon Barrett, noted original creator of the Child's Play franchise. The comparison works perfectly especially because Simon Barrett previously told us other remakes of the original film he created that were bad, were good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

ah yes, Simon Barrett, noted original creator of the Child's Play franchise. The comparison works perfectly especially because Simon Barrett previously told us other remakes of the original film he created that were bad, were good.

I don't see what about the original post inspired such a lovely response.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Probably because in other threads when someone casts any sort of doubt on something you posted it's a green light to start throwing punches. Inexperienced horror thread posters take a while sometimes to adjust to the more laid back atmosphere.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

When us olds were growing up the first three were the ones constantly playing on t.v. so I always have a hard time even seeing them all as part of the same series.

Yeah, in my head the Chucky franchise is basically like 3 eras. The 3 Child's Play movies that I saw a ton of times on TV growing up that all were trying to be a straight horror. Then in my young adult years where Bride and Seed were this insane, absurdist comedy revival of Chucky. Then recently where Curse and Cult seemed to kind of try and marry the two or try and get back some of the horror it lost while being true to the absurdism that happened.

It doesn't feel like a sequel after sequel franchise to me. It just feels like weird stages of growing up or something.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, in my head the Chucky franchise is basically like 3 eras. The 3 Child's Play movies that I saw a ton of times on TV growing up that all were trying to be a straight horror. Then in my young adult years where Bride and Seed were this insane, absurdist comedy revival of Chucky. Then recently where Curse and Cult seemed to kind of try and marry the two or try and get back some of the horror it lost while being true to the absurdism that happened.

It doesn't feel like a sequel after sequel franchise to me. It just feels like weird stages of growing up or something.

I haven't gotten around to seeing Curse and Cult yet.

I remember 2 being on Saturday afternoon UHF channels a shitload in the 90's. I had seen that one so much that when I picked up the Blu-Ray of 1 a few years back I was very confused, as I was pretty much expecting it to be 2.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I never made it past the first 3 Child's Play movies

Still probably gonna see the new one tomorrow

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Flashbacks of terrible Terminator movies but you're right, too harsh, apologies.

STAC Goat posted:

The weirdest part is still trying to pretend most of Seed just didn't happen in the 2 newer ones. I read that references to Glen/Glenda had been scrapped from either Curse or Cult and I want to know how that would have looked.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Adlai Stevenson posted:

You're missing out, Bride and Seed of Chucky are punk as gently caress.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Adlai Stevenson posted:

3 is the weakest one and Bride is one of my favorites, definitely check it out sometime. Jennifer Tilly is wonderful

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DLC Inc posted:

The weirdest part is still trying to pretend most of Seed just didn't happen in the 2 newer ones. I read that references to Glen/Glenda had been scrapped from either Curse or Cult and I want to know how that would have looked.
That didn't really bug me. Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of Bride/Seed but I would have been been interesting to see how Mancini worked Glen and Glenda into things. But I don't remember the movies like directly contradicting their existence or anything so my only real question was whether Redman was dead or not.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

3 is the low point. Its where Mancini seems to have realized that the doll isn't scary anymore but he's still trying while also starting to get a little sillier about it. With Bride he just accepts it and makes a comedy slasher and with Seed he just lets loose and makes something completely insane. Whatever you think of them they're loving wild rides. Then he tries to reinvent Chucky as scary with Curse and really resolve everything and bring the world together as something insane but more straight with Cult.

Its probably one of the best horror franchises to really watch out IMO because every film is done by Mancini and you can really see what he's thinking and trying to do with each one as he's never just trying to make a sequel for cash... except maybe for 3.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 20, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

That's probably the best description for the franchise. Not so much sequel after sequel but stages.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I really like part 2, but the original Child's Play is a legit good suspenseful horror film. A couple of structural tweaks and it could've been a Polanski style psychological masterpiece.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm planning on seeing Child's Play after Toy Story 4 tonight. That's probably gonna be tonal whiplash, huh? lmao

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

The new Lucky McKee, Kindred Spirits, isn't really much of anything besides a pretty good performance from Caitlin Stasey. Most everything else isn't given much time and I'm not quite sure what Macon Blair was doing in this. It just all seems very...thin? for a McKee and kinda seems like it was adapted from one of those teen horror books by Christopher Pike or RL Stine. It's fine I guess but might be his worst movie yet, depending on how much you like All Cheerleaders Die.

Where'd you watch it?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I watched Ghost Stories(2017, d.p. Ole Bratt Birkeland) last night.

I liked it for the most part but all of the stories felt like they ended a bit too soon and I'm not sure about the ending of the frame story being it was all a [coma] dream! . I mean it's built up decently enough that I actually thought to myself "Are they actually going there?" but still.

Looked really nice and had some great performances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really didn't like that one much at all. Like there were a lot of elements I did like and I could see how the original stage play could really work, but it really fell flat for me. None of the stories felt satisfying and the wrap around didn't feel earned or setup well. I dunno. Its the sort of film I'll probably consider watching again to see if it sits better or if I was just in a bad mood or something because usually when people love a film and I don't I can see what that thing is that separates our opinions. But in this case I just don't really know why I didn't like it, I just didn't.