Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

InfiniteZero posted:

You've had some great recommendations thrown your way so I'm going to make a crazy recommendation of a film that entirely feels like it was made in Italy, specifically by Dario Argento, but was somehow actually made in Australia instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnMvCUlCAmI

Australiargento!

(oh yeah and it's from 1982 -- there are several films with the same name and you don't want the wrong one)

Next of Kin is great. It just got a Blu-Ray release in the states from Arrow Video and it's streaming on Shudder, last I checked. I think most people in this thread would really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Slashers don't use guns because guns are not nearly as psychosexually meaningful or as interesting to make kills out of.

If Jason just shot everyone those movies would be a bore. Also he would get found out a lot faster.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Slashers don't use guns because guns are not nearly as psychosexually meaningful or as interesting to make kills out of.

If Jason just shot everyone those movies would be a bore. Also he would get found out a lot faster.
I think it's a really good feature of the Scream movies that the villains use guns only when they've become unmasked. A person uses a gun, but a slasher uses a knife... or a garage door.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

as a counterpoint, Downrange is one of the more horrifying things I've ever seen and has some really loving nasty kills in it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
A giant hand drill is the best phallic slasher weapon

Wait wait, no, the tripod arm from Peeping Tom

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Blast Fantasto posted:

Someone needs to make a slasher movie where the slasher exclusively hits people with a car.

Isn’t Spielberg’s Duel more or less this? It’s what Michael Myers would do if you gave him the keys to a big rig.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
There are some slasher where the killer uses a gun. Some are more proto-slashers (Targets, The Sadist), but others fit more firmly in the subgenre like The Town That Dreaded Sundown, Maniac Cop, Maniac, and Silent Night, Deadly Night 2.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Terrifier also had a great moment involving a gun.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Chucky is waving guns around all over the place when he gets hold of one.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Amazon Prime has an old Fulci movie called Aenigma about some prep school girl who has a terrible accident as a result of her bitchy classmates pranking her, ends up in a coma, but manages to gently caress everybody up with her mind powers from her hospital bed. It was okay.

I feel like there is a movie with this premise where the comatose villain is a man, is there not?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

In case y'all haven't noticed I have very tight genre definitions and as such there are very rare movies that are "pure genre" films.

A movie with slasher elements (even heavy slasher elements) =/= a "pure" slasher movie

Typing that out it's such an rear end in a top hat opinion to have but damnit if there's a place you can have rear end in a top hat film opinions this is it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zwabu posted:

Amazon Prime has an old Fulci movie called Aenigma about some prep school girl who has a terrible accident as a result of her bitchy classmates pranking her, ends up in a coma, but manages to gently caress everybody up with her mind powers from her hospital bed. It was okay.

I feel like there is a movie with this premise where the comatose villain is a man, is there not?

There's two, there's a pretty good one called Patrick that's worth checking out.

There's also an unofficial Italian sequel to it called Patrick Still Lives that was filmed in the same estate as Burial Ground and is the single trashiest movie ever made. Like, there's sleezier and grosser movies and such but Patrick Still Lives is by far the trashiest to me somehow, it just clicks in some way even if it isn't technically. Basically a bunch of assholes all meet at the mansion to gently caress/have a party/whatever but like almost every female character is wearing like a cupless bra and an open top of some kind for much of the movie.

Absolutely nothing happens in the movie for some time but whenever Patrick is using his powers it flashes to like a green tinted illustration of his eyes for a second. And then out of nowhere Patrick telekineticly pins Mariangela Giordano (who also played the mom in Burial Ground!) and then spit roasts here with a spit roast. This is shown fully on screen with prosthetic female genitalia and everything.

One thing I do love about the Fulci movie Aenigma though, is how it concludes with a pan out revealing the entire finishing school to be on top of two giant Blade Runner skyscrapers as a soundalike to Blade Runner's opening theme plays that also evokes a giant pair of peering eyes like we constantly saw throughout the movie.

Edit: Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM_bqDae8Ns

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 4, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

poppin in evil bong rn to have a fresh re-watch for my write-up

im a nut for this dumb franchise but the homophobia does suck :/

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I wonder if Chucky even qualifies as a "slasher". Slashers are typically mysterious, without motive, and they operate like a force of nature. Chucky is just a straight-up serial killer, as a horror villain he's closer to the hitcher from The Hitcher. He's somebody who just likes killing and loving with people.

I'd almost say that Freddy Krueger falls into that same category.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

To me a slasher has to have a killer that is, from the perception of the main characters, unstoppable in some way. Be it Chucky being someone's soul magically controlling a doll which is something no one will believe or Freddy being a phantom in your dreams instead of a person or even just Jason/Michael Meyers being basically unstoppable in general.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kvlt! posted:

In case y'all haven't noticed I have very tight genre definitions and as such there are very rare movies that are "pure genre" films.

A movie with slasher elements (even heavy slasher elements) =/= a "pure" slasher movie

Typing that out it's such an rear end in a top hat opinion to have but damnit if there's a place you can have rear end in a top hat film opinions this is it

I have to ask: By your definition what are the "purest" slasher movies?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

King Vidiot posted:

I wonder if Chucky even qualifies as a "slasher". Slashers are typically mysterious, without motive, and they operate like a force of nature. Chucky is just a straight-up serial killer, as a horror villain he's closer to the hitcher from The Hitcher. He's somebody who just likes killing and loving with people.

Which slasher villains don’t have motives?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I have to ask: By your definition what are the "purest" slasher movies?

the entire Friday the 13th/Halloween franchises, Black Christmas, the Burning, Slumber Party Massacre, there are so many of them those are off the top of my head

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

King Vidiot posted:

Chucky arguably has the strongest consistent motive of all of the major slasher icons in that he spends the majority of the original franchise trying to turn himself human again. The killing is mostly just a means of facilitating that goal, at least in the first three flicks.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

a slasher has to be sort of "unstoppable" and have some sort of mysterious malevolence about them, them approaching you should be a really big dreadful thing: Chucky doesn't count as a slasher because you can just punt the little dude and he's always cracking jokes

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like a slasher for me needs to meet the following criteria:

1) Takes part in systematic murder with almost each murder acting as its own set-piece
2) Having some quality that defines him or her as at least seemingly more threatening or unusual than a serial killer in real life
3) An iconic appearance
4) Despite supernatural any elements, still invokes normal creeps or murderers
5) Acts with malice
6) Functions as the star of his or her film

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think the only real criteria for a slasher movie should be:

1) Is the movie Halloween?
2) Is the movie ripping off Halloween?
3) Is it a sequel to Halloween that's not called "Halloween III: Season of the Witch"?

If it meets any of those criteria then it's a slasher movie. Otherwise it's just a Supernatural Killer Movie, or as I like to call them, a SuNatchKillMo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

a slasher has to be sort of "unstoppable" and have some sort of mysterious malevolence about them, them approaching you should be a really big dreadful thing: Chucky doesn't count as a slasher because you can just punt the little dude and he's always cracking jokes

People kick Chucky all the time but he still keeps coming and killing people. He’s pretty much unstoppable at this point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

See to me Chucky counts as a slasher because being "unstoppable" to me doesn't just mean in a physical way like Jason or Michael Meyers. He's unstoppable in an unknowable/psychological kind of way like they bring up at the end of the first movie, who the gently caress would actually believe it? So anyone he's after or comes into contact with is automatically very isolated and alone. Black Christmas is a slasher to me in this way too because of how it presents the killer through phone calls and never reveals their identity.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 4, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I guess I'm a simple sally because my go-to description of a slasher has always been "serial killer with a gimmick."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you only count the first couple of films Michael Myers is more of a spree killer than a serial killer.

:goonsay:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you only count the first couple of films Michael Myers is more of a spree killer than a serial killer.

:goonsay:

That's true of most slasher characters though, tbh. Like I think only Freddy Krueger and Chucky really buck that trend. F13 2-4 all take place immediately after one-another, technically making it three full movies of a spree killing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tart Kitty posted:

That's true of most slasher characters though, tbh. Like I think only Freddy Krueger and Chucky really buck that trend. F13 2-4 all take place immediately after one-another, technically making it three full movies of a spree killing.

That's the weird thing about the Jason Voorhees phenomenon

The Jason that pop culture at large knows? It isn't hyper focused to any one movie like it is almost every one else. Freddy tends to be either the first movie or the third, Michael is the first and so on

Jason is Jason from 3-6

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lurdiak posted:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

Terrifier also had a great moment involving a gun.

im hot and cold on terrifier but that scene is excellent and left me baffled that i hadnt really seen it before in a movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Klown killer fight who would win

Mike Tobacco vs Richie Tozier (Finn Wolfhard version)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I hated Terrifier, except for the scene with the gun. Only worthwhile part of the movie.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
I saw the terrified short and amputating the chick.’s limbs and writing “oval office” on her seemed really unnecessary and just gross.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

COOL CORN posted:

A giant hand drill is the best phallic slasher weapon

Wait wait, no, the tripod arm from Peeping Tom

Peeping Tom is better than Psycho. Discuss.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jedit posted:

Peeping Tom is better than Psycho. Discuss.

Well you see there's nothing to discuss when you're objectively correct. I'd say it's better and scarier too tbh.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I can respect that opinion but no, I don't think Peeping Tom is better. Psycho is just too tightly constructed and the death of Marion really plays on Hitchcock's previous work in a way that would be impossible for any other filmmaker. I know it's hard to step back and reset your expectations of Psycho when we've all absorbed it via cultural osmosis but that first third is just so masterful the way Hitchcock sets things up as if it's gonna be "just" a regular thriller with a woman on the run who's stolen her bosses money. You can see how easy it would've been to buy into that premise because it's exactly the kind of film Hitchcock would've made, and then BAM it all turns on it's head.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

My mom saw Pyscho when it was first in theaters and has spoken of it similarly, like nothing could compete with that at all ever at the time.

Tart Kitty posted:

I guess I'm a simple sally because my go-to description of a slasher has always been "serial killer with a gimmick."

I only expand on it a bit because to me this encompasses a lot of insanely bad serial killer movies where like, the serial killer's gimmick is insanely badly executed or the movie in general lacks personality because of that. Night Game (1989) comes to mind.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 4, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Psycho also has one of the best scores of all time

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What would an ideal non-meta, non-throwback slasher movie look like in 2019? Anything decent that's come out in the past decade or two that I can think of is either an 80s-riff or a Giallo-riff or a Scream movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have a hard time separating slasher from giallo, because almost every famous American slasher icon has roots there. So I think a totally earnest slasher film would be something that you probably could call a "giallo-riff" in some sense, and it's always been a subgenre that is aware of what came before, if only because of the low budgets and tendency to imitate something that had already been successful.

Michael and Jason kinda turned into their own mini-subgenre as their series went on, because the mystery aspect was totally gone. You have these monsters walking around and you know exactly who they are and what they're about, and you're just observing the specific ways they stalk and kill the cast. That's a form of slasher, but it's an offshoot that happened just because of the success those franchises had with the original formula.

Freddy is his own thing and really doesn't fit into the slasher/giallo mold so Craven obviously deserves credit there for originality.