Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think nowadays most people think "wow this movie is super homoerotic and that's RAD". like its super surprising to jump into the second movie in a famous horror franchise and have it veer into gay town, but surprising in a great way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

More Sammy

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UmoRArLy8s

Okay, sometimes fanedits are worthwhile. I don't know why someone would do this, but I'm glad they did.

e: to be clear, this is a feature-length project, not just a trailer.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 19, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Merry International Toilet Day

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I watched Extra Ordinary the other day and it was pretty decent. It's an Irish comedy/horror film that's like 90% comedy with some light horror elements, featuring Will Forte and Claudia O'Doherty as goofy Satanists and a bunch of not very spooky ghosts. Some of you guys might dig it, I don't see it ending up as anyone's favorite comedy of the year or anything but it made me laugh a bunch of times.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I rewatched Rob Reiner's Misery over the weekend with my book club, who hadn't seen it.

It's such a strange film, because the story is excellent, Kathy Bates is excellent, Richard Farnsworth is excellent, and yet it's, overall, a lackluster adaptation?

Overall, it's a good movie. The directing, the cinematography, the writing, the acting, all of that's solid. And yet, group consensus in the room full of people who had just read the novel, the film removes all of the aspects that makes the novel fascinating and terrifying.

The addition of Richard Farnsworth as the sheriff is a positive, but then it's squandered. Here is a hyper-competent law enforcement. His intuition is always correct. He is able to composite a working theory before hard evidence (Paul's car) is found. He is an avid Paul Sheldon fan, and is shown not only reading a Misery novel, but is also able to remember quotes from an article about Annie's trial and match them to Paul Sheldon's writing. The film teases an awesome moment where, when the sheriff shows up to Annie's house, she lets him into the writing room she has kept Paul locked in, and she even invites him to read some of the novel. So the sheriff reads the manuscript and realizes that Annie couldn't have written the manuscript, because the prose is so close to Sheldon's, who's novel he is actively reading. Oh wait. No he doesn't. It is brought up without any reason. The only reason the sheriff finds Paul is from Paul knocking over a grill in the basement. Then the sheriff is blown away with a shotgun, point blank. The film then continues without a hitch. But, wait a second. The sheriff is seen in almost every scene with his wife. She drives him everywhere. They do everything together. You're going to tell me she's not going to notice that her husband has been missing for a few hours while investigating a hunch? After, in a previous scene, she explicitly scorns him for being away from her for too long? What about his police truck in Annie's yard? This moment leads us, rather slowly, to the film's major climax, but the amount of time that's past is vague.

James Caan looks just like Paul Sheldon, but I think there's a missed opportunity with how passive the character is. He's a pretty big weak link compared to Kathy Bates and Farnsworth, in that he is soft towards Annie and desperate only when she's away.

Misery's a pretty good thriller, based largely on the performances and some solid special effects, but it is still a lackluster adaptation of what I'd say is an easy Top 5 King novel.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 19, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It’s been awhile since I’ve seen it, but isn’t the Sheriff NOT a Paul Sheldon fan? I thought he was indifferent and was reading the books as a part of his investigation

The movie is definitely less salacious than the novel. No one is getting run over by a lawnmower or whatever

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen it, but isn’t the Sheriff NOT a Paul Sheldon fan? I thought he was indifferent and was reading the books as a part of his investigation

The movie is definitely less salacious than the novel. No one is getting run over by a lawnmower or whatever

He downplays that he likes Paul Sheldon when the agent calls initially, but he knows exactly who it is. The agent calls "Looking for a man named Paul Sheldon" and the sheriff answers "Paul Sheldon the novelist?" I don't recall any disparaging remarks, and he's shown deep into the novel. His whole thing is downplaying that he's actually investigating anything, so as not to make any possible suspects do anything weird. Paul Sheldon is announced as dead, and the Sheriff continues to investigate as if he's a missing person.

Even without the salacious violence of the novel, there are just major things that are eliminated. Paul becomes reliant on the drugs Annie provides. His addiction is a huge part of the novel. It's non-existent in the film, except for a single moment where he pretends he's going through withdrawal to explain his sweat and exhaustion from trying to escape. Annie's manic episodes only occur once in the film, so you miss out on the fact that he goes days without eating, and having to sit in his own filth, because she doesn't help him.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Just shamelessly and compulsively devouring horror movies like a sad housewife mows through ice cream.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Just shamelessly and compulsively devouring horror movies like a sad housewife mows through ice cream.

I really need to get back into that mode my pile of unwatched Blu Rays keeps getting taller

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of Misery, the new season of Castle Rock is fantastic. Lizzie Caplan is killing it as Annie Wilkes.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

ruddiger posted:

Speaking of Misery, the new season of Castle Rock is fantastic. Lizzie Caplan is killing it as Annie Wilkes.

It’s separate from the first season right?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

The Senator Giroux posted:

It’s separate from the first season right?

Yep. Overlap here and there but you don't need to know anything going into Season 2, and it's head and shoulders better than Season 1.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I really didn’t mind Castle Rock Season 1, especially the Sissy Spacek/Scott Glenn parts.

The central plot line definitely crapped out at the end though (in true King style)

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I keep getting ads for that new show Shamalayn is doing, is there any real reviews/info out yet?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Christ Amityville A New Generation is boring as hell, but it's biggest sin is wasting Terry O'Quinn and Richard Roudtree.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ExplodingChef posted:

I think everyone is thinking of CAPAlert.

I got hung up on the acronym part, CAPAlert is definitely it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Even without the salacious violence of the novel, there are just major things that are eliminated. Paul becomes reliant on the drugs Annie provides. His addiction is a huge part of the novel.

i like your Misery deconstruction posts! but i think nearly every King novel has an addiction subplot at some point and i'm mostly happy to see the cut. the dude definitely writes what he knows

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Franchescanado posted:

He downplays that he likes Paul Sheldon when the agent calls initially, but he knows exactly who it is. The agent calls "Looking for a man named Paul Sheldon" and the sheriff answers "Paul Sheldon the novelist?" I don't recall any disparaging remarks, and he's shown deep into the novel. His whole thing is downplaying that he's actually investigating anything, so as not to make any possible suspects do anything weird. Paul Sheldon is announced as dead, and the Sheriff continues to investigate as if he's a missing person.

I also watched it recently and while the sheriff knows who Paul Sheldon is from the beginning (because he is a famous writer), he only reads his books later on when he goes to a store and buys a bunch of them. He wouldn't buy a bunch if he was a fan because he would already had them. I also didn't get the impression the sheriff was really the target audience of the Misery series. That's just a minor thing though. I agree that the sheriff was oddly careless later on when he goes to investigate the house.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Jesus posted:

I also watched it recently and while the sheriff knows who Paul Sheldon is from the beginning (because he is a famous writer), he only reads his books later on when he goes to a store and buys a bunch of them. He wouldn't buy a bunch if he was a fan because he would already had them. I also didn't get the impression the sheriff was really the target audience of the Misery series. That's just a minor thing though. I agree that the sheriff was oddly careless later on when he goes to investigate the house.

Ooh, good catch. I may have stepped out of the room when he was purchasing all the books.

alf_pogs posted:

i like your Misery deconstruction posts! but i think nearly every King novel has an addiction subplot at some point and i'm mostly happy to see the cut. the dude definitely writes what he knows

Misery is the best of these, though, because it very directly relates to all of the themes. I would love to see it brought back if there's ever a new adaptation. The only addiction plot in a King novel that works as well is Jack's alcoholism in The Shining.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
1972 Yellow House was really cool and had great style. Really like how they utilized their retro found footage aesthetic.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Sarchasm posted:

I watched Nightmare on Elm Street 2 last year and I walked away thinking it was a deeply homophobic film. The hero's repressed gay urges result in death and suffering. Freddy's disappearance coincides with the disappearance of his gay urges, and he even gets to hook up with his cheerleader girlfriend at the end of the film to really drive it home.

I mean, did I miss something? It feels like a very conservative "pray the gay away" narrative.

No one ever really kills Freddy Krueger. He always comes back. :gay:

You can describe the movie as homophobic in the rather literal sense that it presents discovering that you're gay as terrifying, which is just reality for many people. There are a great many reasons why being gay can be frightening (especially pre-21st century when the movie was made), including the scenario where you haven't even figured it out yet but are slowly realizing you're different somehow. And for many simply the idea that who you are is something innate and that you have no control over is a bit disquieting in and of itself.

Anyhow, it's been quite the ride the past couple decades to see the conversation on Nightmare on Elm Street 2 go from "hey, when you think about it real hard this movie's about being gay!" "omg no way!", to it being the generally accepted reading of the movie, to now where we casually talk about it like it's not even really subtext, but simply straight up what the movie is about.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s a very psychosexual movie but at no point does the movie make it seem like Jesse is a bad person because he has these thoughts. People point at Freddy as the metaphor for homosexuality in this but what he really represents is the toxic hyper-masculine heteronormative that Jesse feels he has to conform to. Jesse doesn’t go to his girlfriend when he’s at his worst but to his close male friend. Freddy literally tears himself out of his friend when he tries to tell him his secret, robbing Jesse of the one confidant he could trust.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

everytime someone itt discusses NoES2 I feel really dumb because I only saw it once and didn't know anything about the sexuality stuff in it and all that went right over my head even though the movie p much beats you over the head with it

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
noes 2 is a bad movie who breaks its internal logic several times. noes 3 fixed all of that and improved on noes 1 in every aspect.

plus patricia arquette is really good on it.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 20, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

DoctorGonzo posted:

noes 2 its a bad movie who breaks its internal logic several times. noes 3 fixed all of that and improved on noes 1 in every aspect.

plus patricia arquette its really good on it.

Big emptyquote here

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah NOES2 is both badly made and a bad sequel. All it has going for it is the very gay script and Robert Englund.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s more than most movies

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

All it has going for it is the very gay script and Robert Englund.

But enough about my posting

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i legit cant remember anything about dream master and dream child except the nun and alice cooper

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dream Master is pure visual insanity and it’s wonderful

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Kvlt! posted:

everytime someone itt discusses NoES2 I feel really dumb because I only saw it once and didn't know anything about the sexuality stuff in it and all that went right over my head even though the movie p much beats you over the head with it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I actually just did a mini book club read of Misery with my girlfriend and watched the movie after and I think it's an extremely solid adaptation. The book is great too, but the ankle-breaking hits harder than the foot-severing for me. Having seen the movie but not read the book before though, the part where Annie makes him drink dirty mop water early on got a big holy poo poo from me. I would've liked to see Rob Reiner try horror again.

Oh also I just skipped ahead cuz i was 1000 posts behind but Kvlt your Rob Zombie tattoo is sick

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I just watched Evil Bong after seeing it mentioned here incessantly and boy howdy was that a bro’y piece of poo poo that is more a commercial for other (bad) Full Moon movies than any thing resembling a coherent story.

Give me Troma over Full Moon any day of the week. Speaking of, Return to Return to Nuke ‘em High Vol 2 should be out on blu ray soon. I really hope Lloyd’s next flick is Toxie V. The last Toxic Avenger film was an opus.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 20, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

DoctorGonzo posted:

i legit cant remember anything about dream master and dream child except the nun and alice cooper

lol alice cooper is freddy's dead

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ruddiger posted:

I just watched Evil Bong after seeing it mentioned here incessantly and boy howdy was that a bro’y piece of poo poo that is more a commercial for other (bad) Full Moon movies than any thing resembling a coherent story.

Somewhere, Kvlt! just got acid reflux and doesn't know why

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of Nightmare 2, has anyone seen that documentary about it yet - Scream Queen, My Nightmare on Elm Street. Looks like it’s doing the festival circuit at the moment.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh also I just skipped ahead cuz i was 1000 posts behind but Kvlt your Rob Zombie tattoo is sick

Ty <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Anyone seen Heretics and have any thoughts? I liked it. Its a little slow in the first half. Its only like 90 minutes but it could probably stand to be like 60. But it does a lot of things pretty well. Pagan cult stuff, demon possession stuff, some body horror stuff, some LGBTQ themes. It doesn't really excel with any of them but it doesn't really do poorly with any of them either. I'm not entirely sure where I'd rate it. I don't usually do ratings anyway. But I know I liked it and I'd put it above "mediocre" and into "worth checking out" but probably not quite "go out of your way for."