Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know there's some fans of the Horror Bishoujo figure line in this thread, so you'll be happy to know they just announced a couple new ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
This is extremely cursed

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

I know there's some fans of the Horror Bishoujo figure line in this thread, so you'll be happy to know they just announced a couple new ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg2u_De8j5o

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

pallet clenser

idk

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Girlfriends

CelticPredator posted:

pallet clenser

idk

Queer polycule

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I was super scared of aliens so Close Encounters of the Third Kind messed me up. I had to stop watching after the kid gets abducted and honestly I probably skipped a lot of the earlier stuff too. What really got me was that the mom was terrified but that stupid little moron kid had absolutely no sense of self-preservation and wanted to get abducted and have all his fluids sucked out of his eyeballs. gently caress you aliens!!!1

On a completely different note I love it when a streaming service happens to add some movies you’ve been wanting to rewatch, but not badly enough to spend money on a rental. Final Destination and The Ring are on Netflix! Can’t wait to inject that early 2000’s aesthetic directly into my veins

david_a fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 10, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The aliens at the end are super loving scary. This is BONE CHILLING Steven!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Close Encounters is extremely scary in places, playing straight with the horror tropes and framing. The abduction scene in the house is terrifying, and feels like it’s pre-informing a lot of Spielberg’s Poltergeist.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
The scariest thing as a kid not from a horror were those bird men things from Beastmaster.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I don't know what's going on on this page but Parasite just won best picture hell yeah

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/IvanBrandon/status/1226727144262209536

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

a guy named BONG won best picture this is the greatest thing to ever happen at the oscars :420: :350:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I liked Ma. Octavia Spencer was really good. It wasn't perfect but I liked it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

it was p good octavia spencer carried the entire movie

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kvlt! posted:

a guy named BONG won best picture this is the greatest thing to ever happen at the oscars :420: :350:

https://twitter.com/kiralio/status/1226718273078779904

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

He kind of got two awards for the price of one though didn’t he? He won for writing, directing, and producing, but because he won both best picture and best international picture, he got two awards for producing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ogmius815 posted:

He kind of got two awards for the price of one though didn’t he? He won for writing, directing, and producing, but because he won both best picture and best international picture, he got two awards for producing.

How else are you going to compete with Disney

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Good, Parasite deserves every award it gets and more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

COOL CORN posted:

I don't know what's going on on this page but Parasite just won best picture hell yeah

Don't worry, it's actually a black comedy and social satire so they don't have to say a horror movie won.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Origami Dali posted:

I'd watch slashers as a kid like it was nothing, Carpenter, Craven, Romero's zombie poo poo, Troma, whatever. Horror was always more fascinating than scary to me. But for some drat reason, I was scared to death by these weird rear end disturbing moments in non horror films, like Large Marge and that fuckin cyborg lady from Superman 3.

I saw Superman 3 at the cinema, and oh boy was that woman getting turned into a cyborg some terrifying poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ma was overall pretty fun but the last 1/3rd was a mess. Really felt like they had nowhere to go with it after the initial premise and just tried to throw a bunch of poo poo at the wall in the hopes that something would stick. And none of it did. They could have cut out her having a daughter and the whole humiliation subplot and the movie would have been better for it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also RE: things that horrified you as a kid. I don't know if anyone remembers the episode of Tales from the Crypt with the child Psychologist investigating "Felicity" but that poo poo ruined me and my ability to sleep for what must have been weeks.

Also the Shining, but that movie is properly one of the scariest movies ever so I don't feel like it's really that goofy in retrospect. and the loving Gremlin from the Twilight Zone movie.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Also the Shining, but that movie is properly one of the scariest movies ever so I don't feel like it's really that goofy in retrospect. and the loving Gremlin from the Twilight Zone movie.

if anything, i have found The Shining to get scarier and creepier the older I get. its like some vivid nightmare and the gradual disintegration of time in it just erodes your sense of ease

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah that's called beating the system

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Finally caught Color Out of Space. Minus the accent choices and even they weren’t so bad, the movie was awesome. I liked the concessions to making a movie regarding what was cut from/added to the story, and the visuals were incredible. I want to see it again in the theater, but we’ll see if I can catch it- it’s gone from my local indie theater in like two days :(

I saw this for the first time last night and really wanted to love it. It did so much right with the visuals and the otherworldliness (I got an Annihilation vibe from it), the slow build up and the Thing-like WTF body horror. I seriously didn't expect them to horrifically mangle the kid like that .

I hate myself for saying this, but I felt like Cage was the problem. He was great in that "Nicolas Cage gonna Nicolas Cage" comic way, but he just felt wrong for the film. He was great in some parts, but there were a few "whacky funny crazy" moments that clashed with the tone.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Here's a question: What is a bad horror film that you think with a little work could be amazing?

For example, in my mind The Poughkeepsie Tapes has MAJOR issues in pacing and some downright abysmal acting in places, but is a near masterclass in unbearable tension and dread in certain parts. If you cut out a lot of the talking heads and pointless poo poo such as the dude teaching the class who might be one of the worst actors I've ever seen and then tighten up some of the stalking scenes I honestly think you'd get something on par with Blair Witch in terms of found footage.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

High Tension. Change the ending to literally anything else

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Here's a question: What is a bad horror film that you think with a little work could be amazing?

For example, in my mind The Poughkeepsie Tapes has MAJOR issues in pacing and some downright abysmal acting in places, but is a near masterclass in unbearable tension and dread in certain parts. If you cut out a lot of the talking heads and pointless poo poo such as the dude teaching the class who might be one of the worst actors I've ever seen and then tighten up some of the stalking scenes I honestly think you'd get something on par with Blair Witch in terms of found footage.

Beyond the Gates is a great concept poorly executed, mostly because of the awful pacing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Disturbing Behavior is the big one for me. It sets the first half as Katie Holmes's character being the tough badass iconoclast against the Stepford kids, then she just gets damseled so the new guy hunk can go on an adventure and rescue her.

The movie could've been a winner if it just committed to girl power, and given its release in the middle of BtVS's reign I have no idea why it didn't

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dog_Meat posted:

I saw this for the first time last night and really wanted to love it. It did so much right with the visuals and the otherworldliness (I got an Annihilation vibe from it), the slow build up and the Thing-like WTF body horror. I seriously didn't expect them to horrifically mangle the kid like that .

I hate myself for saying this, but I felt like Cage was the problem. He was great in that "Nicolas Cage gonna Nicolas Cage" comic way, but he just felt wrong for the film. He was great in some parts, but there were a few "whacky funny crazy" moments that clashed with the tone.

This was my exact feeling about CooS when I first saw it but I've seen it twice more since then and the Cage performance has grown on me. I think his unhinged performance emphasized how hosed up the experience would be for the kids in particular as things started to go south, but think he should have reigned it in some more in the first half of the film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

Beyond the Gates is a great concept poorly executed, mostly because of the awful pacing.

I really hated this movie. It's a good premise but I think you're being too generous to say it could've been good with a little more work. There's really nothing there except the premise, the movie fails to deliver on it in every way possible. 90% of the movie takes place in the most boring living room imaginable because obviously the director just used his own house. For the "climax" they make the big move to the basement where they spent what must've been the entire budget on a smoke machine and some rickety gates.

When wasting Barbara Crampton barely makes the top-5 problems with your movie, you're more than a few tweaks away from greatness.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Jeepers Creepers would make an incredibly good short, just cut it off before you actually see the "creature". Maybe allude to it at the end but just leave it vague.

God I never went from excited to disappointed in a movie so hard.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Beyond the Gates is what happens when you have the kernel of a good idea and then give it to people with absolutely no skill or creativity to make it into something.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

I really hated this movie. It's a good premise but I think you're being too generous to say it could've been good with a little more work. There's really nothing there except the premise, the movie fails to deliver on it in every way possible. 90% of the movie takes place in the most boring living room imaginable because obviously the director just used his own house. For the "climax" they make the big move to the basement where they spent what must've been the entire budget on a smoke machine and some rickety gates.

When wasting Barbara Crampton barely makes the top-5 problems with your movie, you're more than a few tweaks away from greatness.

yeah that's fair, it would need a lot of work to be good. like, a total re-write and a larger budget and a different director and cast and...

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It Comes At Night needed to be a little more fleshed out and a little more intense. It was too lean but had some great concept and great performances. I'd love a sequel or another try at it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Stink Billyums posted:

The scariest thing as a kid not from a horror were those bird men things from Beastmaster.

Those things fuckin' rule. I like that their canonical name is the the Winged Devourers.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
The Nightmare on Elm Street would get a big improvement is they didn't wimp out and went all in with the idea that Freddy was innocent when he was murdered by the parents. You could do so much more with that idea.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

OpenSourceBurger posted:

The Nightmare on Elm Street would get a big improvement is they didn't wimp out and went all in with the idea that Freddy was innocent when he was murdered by the parents. You could do so much more with that idea.

Not really. If he's some kind of actual spirit of vengeance so twisted he wants to make children pay for their parents' crimes he wouldn't be doing bad one liners and spookefying them. The concept only works if he's a sadistic serial killer who turned into a monster.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you gave me Nightmare on Elm Street I'd make nightmare Freddie a manifestation of the town's paranoia, and not a ghost or vengeful spirit at all. Everyone would think he was, and then the twist would be that the actual Freddie Krueger is, like, alive and in a nursing home or a burn ward or something and never had anything to do with it in the first place.

e: recast Freddie but have Robert Englund play the real one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Yeah it always seemed kind of weird to me. I don’t think vigilante mobs are good or anything but he was a serial child murderer who got off on a technicality and was almost certainly going to kill again.