Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Null of Undefined posted:

The Color out of Space was a masterpiece. I'm a big fan of the original story. Some of it felt like Annihilation. While I haven't read the book Annihilation is based on, I assume it's at least somewhat inspired by the original "color out of space" story, since they're both about meteorites makin poo poo wack. I loved it, my friends thought it was bad.

Yeah a lot people say it’s a combination of Colour and Roadside Picnic but I think it just had a lot of parallels. Vandermeer said he was thinking of Kafka and a story called The Other Side of the Mountain by Michel Bernanos. If you can, check out the translation in The Weird. It’s a really good and I think pretty underread piece of horror fiction. You can definitely see how it’s a direct influence on the Southern Reach trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

M_Sinistrari posted:

I can't believe the trailer wasn't posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hkspAW-r-0

Demons is a weird one for me cause I know I've seen it and can recall the film itself but I have no memory of where or how I saw it which just really adds to that movie's all around vibe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My favorite thing about Demons is how the classic Bava aesthetic is in the movie showing in the theater right from the beginning. Then, as the demon curse starts spreading all the sudden the Bava style starts bleeding into the "real" world and by the end there's basically no difference between the movie and the real world. I like to think of Demons as Lamberto paying homage to his father in that way.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Again excellent reccomendation but I SEEN IT :(

I say this out of true kindness, but it would really help us if you just had a Letterboxd with all your horror movies logged so it'd be easy to find new-to-you recommendations.

I know that's probably time consuming but 1) its fun, 2) Letterboxd has thousands of obscure horror movies for you to find, and 3) you ask this stuff regularly and it's hard to help when we've got nothing to go on.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MacheteZombie would kill me if i created one of those instead of watching his reccomendations and i have memory problems so how do u even remember every horror movie uve seen the only reason i say "ive seen it" itt is bc i usually google the movie and can remember it when i see pics of it

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Also I want another website where I can have objective proof that Kvlt! and I are friends on the internet, and letterboxd could be that website

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

My favorite thing about Demons is how the classic Bava aesthetic is in the movie showing in the theater right from the beginning. Then, as the demon curse starts spreading all the sudden the Bava style starts bleeding into the "real" world and by the end there's basically no difference between the movie and the real world. I like to think of Demons as Lamberto paying homage to his father in that way.

I genuinely think it's a send-up of Bava and The Evil Dead. All of the demon "rules", the inner film, and the non-Euclydean geometry all remind me of The Evil Dead, but it doesn't have that Raimi look.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

MacheteZombie would kill me if i created one of those instead of watching his reccomendations and i have memory problems so how do u even remember every horror movie uve seen the only reason i say "ive seen it" itt is bc i usually google the movie and can remember it when i see pics of it

Real talk? It's very easy. We have all compiled a bunch of lists of horror movies, the site has a ton of official and fan-made horror lists. So following just this thread alone will keep it easy.

To log a film you hover a mouse over it and click the eye.

The eye turns green if you click it/

No need to rate it, or say when you watched it, or anything. It just adds it to "Movies You've Seen"

Once you log films, you can make reading lists easier by fading out movies you've seen.

Every time you click a movie's page, you get to see a pic from the movie.

You can add movies as you go. There's no deadline to fleshing out your movie history. You can log them as you go from the time you register your account. (That's what I did.) Plenty of people ignore the star system in favor of the "Like" system

It's the easiest movie website ever. And there are so many curated lists for all types of tastes.

Or you can pick a movie and see what lists it's on for more recs that way.

And you can narrow down any list by streaming service, by genre, by year, etc. It's just so drat handy.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah scrolling through that They Shoot Zombies list just checking things off is actually a weirdly satisfying way to kill time

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah scrolling through that They Shoot Zombies list just checking things off is actually a weirdly satisfying way to kill time

Yeah, put on some tunes and scroll through that, Edgar Wright's 1000 favorite movies, and like two more lists and you're probably good. I like knowing "Oh, I've seen 700 of these? And only 20 from this list? Dang." That I can quickly and easily find out what streaming service things are on and how many times I've watching Demons since making an account just makes it even better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/gretagerwigflew/status/1229218715683770369

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Okay you've convinced me I'll create one

EDIT: They won't let me put my exclamation point in my username

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Okay you've convinced me I'll create one

EDIT: They won't let me put my exclamation point in my username

We all have to make sacrifices.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i made it an underscore instead so if you see Kvlt_ on letterbox its me

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I subjected the girlfriend to a viewing of The Green Inferno last night, I think she thinks a lot less of me because of this decision but I can’t help loving that movie.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Go Cannibal Holocaust or go home, bro.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gaz2k21 posted:

I subjected the girlfriend to a viewing of The Green Inferno last night, I think she thinks a lot less of me because of this decision but I can’t help loving that movie.

why the gently caress aren't you wathcing orozco the embalmer as foreplay you poser

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

why the gently caress aren't you wathcing orozco the embalmer as foreplay you poser

I couldn't find a good copy of it after that one time you recommended it to me, I think it got taken down by Youtube

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gaz2k21 posted:

I fuckin' hate that movie lol, you gotta show Men Behind the Sun now though

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kvlt! posted:

i made it an underscore instead so if you see Kvlt_ on letterbox its me

gently caress yeah

:hfive:

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
r_Zombie has entered chat.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Real talk? It's very easy. We have all compiled a bunch of lists of horror movies, the site has a ton of official and fan-made horror lists. So following just this thread alone will keep it easy.

To log a film you hover a mouse over it and click the eye.

The eye turns green if you click it/

No need to rate it, or say when you watched it, or anything. It just adds it to "Movies You've Seen"

Once you log films, you can make reading lists easier by fading out movies you've seen.

Every time you click a movie's page, you get to see a pic from the movie.

You can add movies as you go. There's no deadline to fleshing out your movie history. You can log them as you go from the time you register your account. (That's what I did.) Plenty of people ignore the star system in favor of the "Like" system

It's the easiest movie website ever. And there are so many curated lists for all types of tastes.

Or you can pick a movie and see what lists it's on for more recs that way.

And you can narrow down any list by streaming service, by genre, by year, etc. It's just so drat handy.

I like that there’s so many ways of looking up related movies. One of my favorite features is looking up what lists a movie has been listed in, if it’s a weird obscuro horror movie, chances are the lists it’ll be included also had a bunch of weird poo poo that’s worth hunting down.

Here’s my profile.
https://boxd.it/fRYp

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm coolcorn, add me everybody

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

I'm coolcorn, add me everybody

add me as your bff

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

add me as your bff

I didn't see that option aside from the normal "follow" button so I emailed the letterboxd company directly. We'll see what they say

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can't believe I just spent the time data entering all my horrors from the last 3 years of marathons here (plus some random ones I noticed/remembered) which apparently is roughly around 400 movies. I am GoatGonzo, but I have no reviews or anything interesting. This probably would have been more useful while I was doing my years, but hey. I need a gimmick for this year too.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Is now a good time to also say I love Letterboxd and say I have a bunch of horror subgenre lists (each with a ranked list of films I've seen and then a watchlist) I'd love to have recommendations on?

https://letterboxd.com/killerbobb/tag/horror-subgenre/lists/

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
How’s the Suicide Squad movie from 2021? Worth watching?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Darthemed posted:

How’s the Suicide Squad movie from 2021? Worth watching?

Judging by the other DCEU probably not.

Stupid mass clicking...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got a cool bonus at work so I treated myself to the Scream Factory “The Fly” collection, I’m pretty stoked.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

My girlfriend is a funeral director, i reckon it’s a bit passe

Pugh looks like she just smelled a fart

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So I just watched Dead Heat (1988) on Amazon Prime
For going in blind and not thinking much of it at the start, I liked it. It's like Tango and Cash meets Big Trouble In Little China meets ReAnimator. Though of course it never hits the highs any of those do as far as action, horror, and adventure. I gotta say, I enjoy some Treat Williams, he's got a great look for the 80s and I even enjoy Joe Piscopo a lot in this. It's even got a tie in song that features the title of the movie, it's perfect for a gimmicky buddy cop 80s flick. If you're bored there are a lot worse ways to spend your time than a watch of Dead Heat. Oh did I mention you get a taste of Vincent Price?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TheKingslayer posted:

So I just watched Dead Heat (1988) on Amazon Prime
For going in blind and not thinking much of it at the start, I liked it. It's like Tango and Cash meets Big Trouble In Little China meets ReAnimator. Though of course it never hits the highs any of those do as far as action, horror, and adventure. I gotta say, I enjoy some Treat Williams, he's got a great look for the 80s and I even enjoy Joe Piscopo a lot in this. It's even got a tie in song that features the title of the movie, it's perfect for a gimmicky buddy cop 80s flick. If you're bored there are a lot worse ways to spend your time than a watch of Dead Heat. Oh did I mention you get a taste of Vincent Price?

The butcher shop scene is one of the all time greats IMO. Go in as blind as possible and you’ll have a good time with that movie.

quote:

You remember when we were in training? They always told us, "You can't be a good cop if you're a dead cop." Here's your chance to prove them wrong. You're good and you're dead.

I mean that’s solid writing right there

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's written by Shane Black's older brother. Shane also plays a rando cop.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://youtu.be/57Fm8RDn4p0

i am curious about this movie, gimme more of that sweet sweet body horror

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I saw it as a kid, and man that drowning scene have me nightmares for a while.

Don't remember much about it other than that and the ending though.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Any good found footage lately? The subgenre seems to be a bit dead. I can't go back to binging Tokyo Videos of Horror.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Untrustable posted:

Any good found footage lately? The subgenre seems to be a bit dead. I can't go back to binging Tokyo Videos of Horror.

SMG did a post with a dozen FF flicks they really like, and MacheteZombie has been watching some of them and some other FF, so scroll through their posts and see if anything catches your eye.

(I'm pretty sure it was this thread, but it may have been GenChat.)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
poo poo, I did not expect Don't Look Now to be this good, turns out it's a hugely influental beloved classic that somehow completely slipped under my radar?
Venice is such a good setting for a horror movie, it's the most beautiful corpse of a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

married but discreet posted:

poo poo, I did not expect Don't Look Now to be this good, turns out it's a hugely influental beloved classic that somehow completely slipped under my radar?
Venice is such a good setting for a horror movie, it's the most beautiful corpse of a city.

I remember watching Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments growing up, and they chose the ending to Don't Look Now to be pretty high on the list. Had never heard of it before, and while they completely spoil the surprise, it effectively sold me on the movie. Still took me a few years to finally watch it, but it's worth it.