Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Jezebel posted:

Horror goons, help me out. I need recommendations for the jump-scariest (but preferably not terrible) films you can think of for me to watch tomorrow- I've increased my anti-anxiety meds but I'm concerned we've gone too high on the dose. I'm watching It Chapter 2 now and barely blinking at scary poo poo. In comparison, when I watched The Borderlands last year I had to mute the sound and partially cover my eyes during parts of it. I've seen [Rec], Hereditary, The Descent, The Conjuring... (https://letterboxd.com/katef/films/genre/horror/) I guess I could always rewatch the Descent cuz it's been a long time, but I feel like that would taint the experiment. Should I go for Paranormal Activity or something?

Anything James Wan or Wan-adjacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Serious Party Gods posted:

Ehhh, you're giving 'US' far too much credit.
It was a mess of half-baked ideas....Sameies with 'Get Out'. They aren't that good.

:wrong:

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

Origami Dali posted:

Anything James Wan or Wan-adjacent.

Aquaman? :v:

I've seen Insidious and The Conjuring, is his other horror good? I know Saw is supposed to be good but I'm not sure it's the type of scary I'm looking for.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Jezebel posted:

Aquaman? :v:

I've seen Insidious and The Conjuring, is his other horror good? I know Saw is supposed to be good but I'm not sure it's the type of scary I'm looking for.

Well I wouldn't say good, since good and jump-scares aren't too synonymous for me, but Dead Silence is one of his better ones. Heavy jump scares can be found in most middling horror like Ouija or Lights Out, but they're typically just ok movies. If you want a step up from Wan, try Mike Flanagan, especially his Hill House series or Oculus. Nothing spectacular, but a good time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, the Paranormal Activity movies are fairly jump-scare prone.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I finally watched Hereditary last night and I'm pretty sure it's the scariest movie I've ever seen. I haven't been good and scared by a movie in a long time but those long, lingering shots just hosed me up. Whole movie hosed me up.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Untrustable posted:

I finally watched Hereditary last night and I'm pretty sure it's the scariest movie I've ever seen. I haven't been good and scared by a movie in a long time but those long, lingering shots just hosed me up. Whole movie hosed me up.

have you gone through the rest of Aster' catalog?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Jezebel posted:

Horror goons, help me out. I need recommendations for the jump-scariest (but preferably not terrible) films you can think of for me to watch tomorrow- I've increased my anti-anxiety meds but I'm concerned we've gone too high on the dose. I'm watching It Chapter 2 now and barely blinking at scary poo poo. In comparison, when I watched The Borderlands last year I had to mute the sound and partially cover my eyes during parts of it. I've seen [Rec], Hereditary, The Descent, The Conjuring... (https://letterboxd.com/katef/films/genre/horror/) I guess I could always rewatch the Descent cuz it's been a long time, but I feel like that would taint the experiment. Should I go for Paranormal Activity or something?

You could be desensitized but your lack of reaction could also be because It Chapter Two sucked rear end. I'm a huge wuss and the jumpscares in that movie were just terrible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jordan Peele is undeniably the greatest horror film-maker working today and it's not even close. Unless he trips over his dick on his next movie really hard and makes The Boy, he could coast on his first 2 movies for the rest of his career and still be one of the greats in my eyes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

I got a weird soft spot for Twilight Zone '85. There's some heavy duty talent on that show.
It's not bad, it's just not fully Twilight Zone. The episode where the man is slowly blurring into a world where everyone speaks an alternate version of English and instead of calling everyone crazy just settles down and lets his daughter reteach him is sweet and has a good moral.

They had some good spooks too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WeaponX posted:

Twilight Zone is something that just doesn’t need to be remade and every attempt has hinted at that fact yet still ignores it in the end.

I dunno, revisiting existing material is always doomed to fail, but there's always room for a sci fi/horror anthology show. Hell, the 90s Outer Limits kicked loving rear end. Just stop trying to redo the gambler episode already.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

dorium posted:

have you gone through the rest of Aster' catalog?

I really don't know if I want to. I felt like I was gonna fuckin die through most of Hereditary. It is pure dread in movie form. I kept looking over my shoulder. It's such an intense movie.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Question, anybody like Argento's Dawn of the Dead cut? 2 hrs with more Goblin and whatnot, removing a lot of the humor and commentary I hear. Romero's version is definitive of course, that 2 hrs 7 mins one is what I have on blu-ray, but thinking I'll give the Argento cut a watch. Just sounds intriguing, plus more Goblin is a good thing. And interesting how seven minutes can change the tone of a movie so much.

And could be interesting to see the version that kicked off that craze in Italy. Plus I read the release in Japan is based on that version, so in a way I might be seeing something that influenced Resident Evil's creators. Unless they imported a cool laserdisc or something, I assume they've likely seen the Japanese version. But popularity and influence in parts of the globe aside, is it a good watch?

Also, here's the sci-fi intro they added to the Japanese version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsteKp7KqY

And tangentially, my favorite version of Army of Darkness is the international cut, the 3rd version they included on the special blu-ray release. Which I read was also put together by the producer. Just feels like a nice middle ground, that version. But more often than not I'd go with the director's preferred one.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jezebel posted:

Have you seen House of the Devil or The Innkeepers? Both are very good at slowly ramping up tension to nearly unbearable levels.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Pomp posted:

I had a video date with a cute queer and we watched knife + heart and it's still really good y'all, make other queers watch it with you

:swoon:

Thank you for recommending this! This might be the first giallo I've ever cried during. I tried to rope my partner into watching it with me as the requisite additional queer audience, but they noped out pretty quickly, bless them

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, revisiting existing material is always doomed to fail, but there's always room for a sci fi/horror anthology show. Hell, the 90s Outer Limits kicked loving rear end. Just stop trying to redo the gambler episode already.

I was actually gonna mention this. It never seems to get brought up but the 90's Outer Limits remake was actually really good. Honestly I think on a per episode basis it's probably better than the original TZ, it just doesn't ever hit the insane highs of that show (which are some of the best written TV ever).

Really I'd like an anthology show that's actually based on Creepypasta stuff, since I think that would work pretty well. I really enjoyed Darknet and it seemed to be close to that, but unfortunately that only got one season. As an aside anyone who knows of anything similar to that I'd really appreciate recommendations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Question, anybody like Argento's Dawn of the Dead cut? 2 hrs with more Goblin and whatnot, removing a lot of the humor and commentary I hear. Romero's version is definitive of course, that 2 hrs 7 mins one is what I have on blu-ray, but thinking I'll give the Argento cut a watch. Just sounds intriguing, plus more Goblin is a good thing. And interesting how seven minutes can change the tone of a movie so much.

And could be interesting to see the version that kicked off that craze in Italy. Plus I read the release in Japan is based on that version, so in a way I might be seeing something that influenced Resident Evil's creators. Unless they imported a cool laserdisc or something, I assume they've likely seen the Japanese version. But popularity and influence in parts of the globe aside, is it a good watch?

Also, here's the sci-fi intro they added to the Japanese version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsteKp7KqY

And tangentially, my favorite version of Army of Darkness is the international cut, the 3rd version they included on the special blu-ray release. Which I read was also put together by the producer. Just feels like a nice middle ground, that version. But more often than not I'd go with the director's preferred one.

Argento’s cut is always going to be the runner-up to me, but loving Goblin makes it a photo finish.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

bit late to Us chat but - Get Out managed to unnerve me and bring some good memorable spooks but I don't think I ever really felt scared or in peril in Us. it's very entertaining but I wasn't super spooked by it - possibly because it was telegraphing some twist from the start? I dunno

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Well I wouldn't say good, since good and jump-scares aren't too synonymous for me, but Dead Silence is one of his better ones. Heavy jump scares can be found in most middling horror like Ouija or Lights Out, but they're typically just ok movies. If you want a step up from Wan, try Mike Flanagan, especially his Hill House series or Oculus. Nothing spectacular, but a good time.

You DISGUST me

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

married but discreet posted:

You could be desensitized but your lack of reaction could also be because It Chapter Two sucked rear end. I'm a huge wuss and the jumpscares in that movie were just terrible.

this. it 2 sucked aside from two great performances from Hader and Ransome

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

bit late to Us chat but - Get Out managed to unnerve me and bring some good memorable spooks but I don't think I ever really felt scared or in peril in Us. it's very entertaining but I wasn't super spooked by it - possibly because it was telegraphing some twist from the start? I dunno

Us really should've killed the husband at some point to raise the personal stakes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Untrustable posted:

I really don't know if I want to. I felt like I was gonna fuckin die through most of Hereditary. It is pure dread in movie form. I kept looking over my shoulder. It's such an intense movie.
His catalogue on the whole kinda gives up the game that Aster is a bit of an edgelord who also happens to be great at composition and sound design.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

alf_pogs posted:

I really enjoyed Us, maybe even more than Get Out, but it wasn't really scary at all. More sci-fi than horror to me. The first few shots of the Tethered family in the driveway were the only real scares for me.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Untrustable posted:

Hereditary is the only movie worth watching in his catalogue imo, Midsommar is a disaster and I haven't seen the one where the dad fucks the son

all this Us talk has me wanting to give it a watch, I've never seen it before

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Someone on Twitter told me I absolutely had to see Midsommar, but it looks like some Wicker Man nonsense and I'm not a huge fan of that type of horror.

I did watch Slenderman last night because I got a free trial of Starz and I just want to know how a 1 and a half hour movie feels 5 hours long.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

has anyone seen the rabid remake is it good (i've never even seen the original tbh) but i liked American Mary so im thinking bout checkin it out

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kvlt! posted:

Hereditary is the only movie worth watching in his catalogue imo, Midsommar is a disaster and I haven't seen the one where the dad fucks the son

all this Us talk has me wanting to give it a watch, I've never seen it before

You absolutely should watch Us, the music and cinematography are chilling in the best possible way and Lupita Nyong'o gives a stunning preformance.

This is a controversial opinion, but after giving it a lot of thought I've come to the conclusion that the best way to enjoy Us is to treat it like you would a nightmare. Don't try to bring logic into it, don't think about what anything is supposed to be a metaphor for, just accept that you're about to experience a bunch of freaky poo poo that doesn't quite make sense and roll with it. After the film is over feel free to puzzle over the whole "what does it mean?" question, but while you're watching it's better to simply let the whole thing wash over you like a bloody wave of magic realism.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thats what i do with every movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Untrustable posted:

Someone on Twitter told me I absolutely had to see Midsommar, but it looks like some Wicker Man nonsense and I'm not a huge fan of that type of horror.

Your instincts are correct, if you don't like Wicker Man or folk horror I have a hard time imagining you'd enjoy Midsommar very much.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I guess I'll be the voice of dissent and say that I couldn't stand Us. Was by far the biggest disappointment of the year it came out. For context I thought Get Out was good but also overhyped but man Us was on another level. I found the plot nonsensical on the surface, but cheesy and too on the nose as a metaphor, any tension was undermined by a joke of some sort (and I say undermined because it didn't have the tone control of something like Drag Me To Hell or some of the Korean films that manage to oscillate between tones). Lupita Nyong'o really went for it but she's wasted on the script. It's made me weary of anything Jordan Peele is attached to at this point, at the very least I know to temper my expectations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I respect Us waaaay more than I like it. It's overstuffed with too many ideas it wants to explore but never settles on what it wants to be or say. Halfway through I wanted to yell at the screen "Okay, I get it! Metaphor! Can we follow a narrative now?" but then it kept adding layer after layer after layer and by the end I was too exhausted by its attempts at lore and worldbuilding that I just wanted to quietly leave the theater and forget about the whole thing. I like the intent behind it, but the execution left me very wanting. It's got some good core ideas, it's well directed, well acted, but poorly written. It felt like a film that really needed someone to reign Peele's instincts in and get him to focus.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 5, 2020

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Even though I loved the humor, I agree that some of it undercut the scary scenes and tension. Same with the boring lore building scenes. It’s drifts away from “horror movie” at different moments. But again I was just very engaged with this films sounds and visuals and i wasn’t bothered by its bumpy narrative. It just looked so great with some interesting surreal poo poo. Visceral and dreamlike plots are just very effective on me.

In the end, I’m also just happy with a film that wasn’t just another gruesome, violent, home invasion movie with many social themes but it got very weird, very creative, very bizarre, even if it’s on the nose and not tightly structured.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Jezebel posted:

trip9 posted:

Drag Me To Hell

I shamefully forgot one of the best jump-scare movies ever.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I watched Hagazussa last night and it must have been very smart because it was boring as hell and I hated it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
28 Weeks Later is one of the only jump-scarey films I can think of where they don’t just come across as obnoxious.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Not being afraid of It 2: Chapter Boogaloo doesn't require meds. I didn't hate it, but it just wasn't very scary.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think it was Conjuring 2 that gave me jump scare fatigue while watching it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel like Candyman never gets brought up as a great jump scare movie unless I mention it, but it really is. I guess it's great for a bunch of reasons so the jump scares fly under the radar but it has a few top tier scares in it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

28 Weeks Later is one of the only jump-scarey films I can think of where they don’t just come across as obnoxious.

Exorcist 3 had some good ones too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The OG Exorcist also has at least one really good jump scare