Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. That happens and then it comes back. But it does like a test to see if you have the money or something....idk. It’s very odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah. That happens and then it comes back. But it does like a test to see if you have the money or something....idk. It’s very odd.

Weird, I’ve had that with like gas stations and stuff but they usually charge like a dollar or something to make sure the account is active. I don’t even know if I’ll have the money in 3 months!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Coffee And Pie posted:

Weird, I’ve had that with like gas stations and stuff but they usually charge like a dollar or something to make sure the account is active. I don’t even know if I’ll have the money in 3 months!

With that sort of thing, it's a preauth rather than an actual charge. Preauth is to check the account's real and there's funds present. It puts the amount on a sort of hold so it counts against your charges for the day but doesn't actually charge it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

M_Sinistrari posted:

With that sort of thing, it's a preauth rather than an actual charge. Preauth is to check the account's real and there's funds present. It puts the amount on a sort of hold so it counts against your charges for the day but doesn't actually charge it.

which is evil if youre poor like me lol and only have like, that much in the bank.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
at my credit union at least the preauth never actually affects the balance of your account. Like you’ll see it pending but it won’t change your available balance. Don’t know if it works that way everywhere though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
wait does Shout Factory actually charge you right away, or is it when it ships? Everyone is talking like it’s the latter but their site says they charge you immediately

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

gey muckle mowser posted:

wait does Shout Factory actually charge you right away, or is it when it ships? Everyone is talking like it’s the latter but their site says they charge you immediately

They charge immediately. One of the reasons I'm thinking about canceling my preorder with Shout once the preorder goes up on Amazon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

a word about the litho. very cool, but the deliver it rolled up and its a bit hard to get flat. Idk mine got damaged pretty quick. I prefer their posters.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

VoodooXT posted:

They charge immediately. One of the reasons I'm thinking about canceling my preorder with Shout once the preorder goes up on Amazon.

Yeah, charged me immediately. I figure it’s worth it. My gas budget is now firmly in ‘eh, spend it’ territory.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

VoodooXT posted:

I always prefer immediate charge pre-orders because it makes it easier for me to budget. I like being able to balance my poo poo right as I'm buying something

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Maybe I can sell my Al Adamson collection to fund this Friday the 13th set. :shepspends:

e: I was joking but then I took a closer look at that sexy collection and noticed that not only does it have 1-9, it has loving Jason X, Freddy vs. Jason, even the drat remake and at least two bonus discs plus the posters/prints. Yeah I'm getting that, may or may not keep the Al Adamson set. I have some savings left but I might not for long if this poo poo keeps up.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 14, 2020

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

CelticPredator posted:

which is evil if youre poor like me lol and only have like, that much in the bank.

That's what's weird about this. The usual amount a preauth's done is a dollar just because you don't want to hammer someone's bank account for what's an account check when they could have bills or grocery purchases pending.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Hitchcock set also dropped for preorder

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Link for the Hitchcock set?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just watched Dave Franco's directorial debut, The Rental, and I'm here to tell you it's the most generic, by-the-numbers, pointless exercise I've seen this year. Money Plane is less predictable and more interesting than this thing. It seems clear to me that the dude called in favours to get a great cast (Dan Stevens, Alison Brie, Toby fuckin Huss) to do his nothingburger script.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGdcTUMGxB0

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

Link for the Hitchcock set?

Here ya go!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Pre ordered. Thx!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I mentioned Kaidan: Piece of Darkness as a good watch over in the streaming thread , but reflecting on it I really liked one thing it does that's pretty great. The anthology treats all the ghosts as real. In that they're physical, other people can see them, and they will kick your rear end.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Thundercracker posted:

I mentioned Kaidan: Piece of Darkness as a good watch over in the streaming thread , but reflecting on it I really liked one thing it does that's pretty great. The anthology treats all the ghosts as real. In that they're physical, other people can see them, and they will kick your rear end.

holy poo poo how am i not the only one who watched kidan within the last week.

yeah i liked it a lot too. the shadow man was Legitimately Terrifying, and the last short was by my guy, Koji Shiraishi.

it's a good little collection!

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Anyone who's in the mood for slow-paced, unsettling weirdness may want to check out Little Joe on Hulu.

I saw a few trailers for it in a local theater last year, but if it ever screened nearby before the theaters shut down, I flat-out didn't notice because the name isn't memorable enough to live up to the trailer's trippy pod people feel. The whole movie is gorgeous though. It uses color well and sets up some interesting shots; about halfway through I started paying extra attention to any scene filmed through a door or a window. The soundtrack gets mixed reviews, but I liked how jarring it was. The actors all fit in pretty well too, including the kid. There are times when the story feels a little thin, but everything else pulled me in enough that I didn't much care.

I will say that the ending was unsatisfying, but that's less about what happened than the way the movie got there. The first three-quarters of Little Joe was one of the best movies I've seen so far this year though. And the rest of it wasn't bad, it just didn't live up to the expectations that most of it set.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I'm not sure what went wrong with The Beach House. I can definitely see where the comparisons to The Colour out of Space came from, but it just seems to become a little haphazard after the first act. I'm not sure whether the budget didn't match the ambition of the project, or whether the knowledge to execute the ideas wasn't there, but it just felt like a bit of a mess.

The first act has some beautiful, carefully considered establishing shots, and a lot of engaging, and naturalistic character building. Then, when things begin to escalate, it feels strong. It feels like we might be entering the territory of Gaspar Noe's Climax, or possibly even early Cronenberg. Then the film stutters and breaks away from that track. It begins to feel almost like a clumsy student project, with characters teleporting around to where they need to be for the action to make sense, and fog machines working overtime to make up for a lack of content. Aside from a few nice body horror effects, the rest of the film isn't very notable at all. It's a shame too, as that strong start showed some real promise.

Watched this one last night. I share your opinion. At the footscene I had a brief moment that it might take off into new territory as you described, but alas.
It's been a really bad movie run for me lately.

Also, thanks all for posting the letterboxd. I got the app, if I find the time I'll run through the topic and follow you all (or however it works).

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Thanks!

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I really want that Friday the 13th set, but I have most of them on bluray already and it's hard to justify continuously re-buying those, even though I love the franchise. Also, I don't feel like posting my letterboxd, but I'm gonna follow every one of you that posts yours.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I only got it at the start of the year and log a lot of crap that isn't horror but https://letterboxd.com/alf_pogs

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Ok I went back and followed everyone who posted their letterboxd from account Acht. Hope to get a lot of fun recommendations from there. I should check to add some ratings myself. Seems like an easy way to keep track.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Acht posted:

It's been a really bad movie run for me lately.

Sometimes this happens, especially with horror. Don't get discouraged :)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
ok why not: https://letterboxd.com/muckle_mowser/

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
we doing this again? https://letterboxd.com/origamidali/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://letterboxd.com/MacheteZ

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

enjoying all the adds from like-minded goons with THE THING in their faves

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
About half of the people I added have the Thing in their favourites. It's been so long, I don't even know if I saw it. Going to check it out asap.

edit: Woah Alf.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Sadly, I can't remember the last time I watched the Thing. I really just need to pick either the Shout Factory or Arrow version and love it all over again

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I rewatched it immediately after The Lodge for obvious reasons

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The correct top 4 must include Possession :colbert:

Although I do remember one of you has Con Air as their only favourite, and I absolutely respect that, not gonna lie.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I watched The Thing on Saturday night and I don’t know why but this is the first time that at the end I felt MacReady is definitely The Thing.

Just sharing all those liquor bottles with people who ended up being Things.

My daughter claimed she thought it was just ok but then asked if we could watch it again the next day.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I bought the Shout 3 disc steel book for The Thing recently when it was on sale. Doesn't feel right watching it in the middle of the summer, so I'm gonna revisit it when it starts to cool down. It has the latest 4k scan, so I'm stoked.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just watched Dave Franco's directorial debut, The Rental, and I'm here to tell you it's the most generic, by-the-numbers, pointless exercise I've seen this year. Money Plane is less predictable and more interesting than this thing. It seems clear to me that the dude called in favours to get a great cast (Dan Stevens, Alison Brie, Toby fuckin Huss) to do his nothingburger script.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGdcTUMGxB0

well Alison Brie is Dave Franco's wife so hopefully he didn't have to call in too many favors to get her in the cast :D

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

I bought the Shout 3 disc steel book for The Thing recently when it was on sale. Doesn't feel right watching it in the middle of the summer, so I'm gonna revisit it when it starts to cool down. It has the latest 4k scan, so I'm stoked.

I have fond memories of watching The Thing as a TV movie on summer afternoons, so it's kind of the opposite, maybe I'll bite the bullet when fall begins.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No better way to cool down than to watch a couple people and/or things freeze to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I basically threw my seasonal viewing habits out the window because of the pandemic(with the exception of Halloween/October stuff of course). I watched Dr. Zhivago the other day when it was 90 degrees outside, I usually never do that.