Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Also its not a Unsolved Mystery when its like " Oh yeah this is the dude who did it you seen him?" .

I just really hate that loving show.

This is what makes it good. There are multiple episodes where people who ran away from their families fake having amnesia after the show finds them, and everyone just does a very awkward dance around the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I honestly have a hardcore Mandella effect thing going on with him. I swear I’ve read about him dying twice before, but it was probably just about how awesome he was.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has anyone seen Bad Ben? It's horrible, but it's become an obsession with me and I've now seen all five (?) sequels. It's a weird series and perhaps the first film series to come into being because of Amazon Prime letting people upload any old garbage for free.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I saw it back during the October challenge. I thought it was kind of nerdily charming, that dude is definitely doing it for the love of the genre. I meant to check out rest of the series but I kind of forgot about them.

He seems to only half understand why people liked the first one. Like, he tries to lean into the goofy charm, but has kind of a bad sense of humor. In the third one, he hires some improv comics to play off of, and you can really see a difference of sensibilities in how they do gags vs how he does gags.

The unselfconsciousness of the original is definitely why I like it.

He’s doing a gofundme to make another one, and his target is like two grand so that he can buy a new computer and a second camera.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Almost Blue posted:

Speaking of Boggy Creek, the director's daughter is helping with a 4K restoration on it and it is far and away the best looking I've ever seen the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEvbmZoD8Us

God I hope this gets a blu ray release.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So the Suspiria remake got me going back and watching a bunch of Argento stuff and god drat I forgot how good Phenomena was.

I can never watch it the same way after learning the chimp bit off Jennifer Connolly’s finger and it had to be reattached. Labyrinth probably seemed like a breeze in comparison.

That Bee Gees shirt really should get more exposure.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have to admit that I have no idea what psychic visions of murders have to do with being able to talk to insects, but I guess the movie is called Phenomena and not Phenomenon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Travis Crabtree song is pretty catchy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I love that Jordan Peele made a horror movie of that "trust nobody, not even yourself" meme

This October...watch out for...Hooded Kermit!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Untrustable posted:

I'm slightly behind on my Bad Ben lore, but did anything ever get more bonkers than the Jersey Devil doing a rape?

He goes into comedy after that and never really comes back around, even when it seems like it won’t be a comedy. Number five (?) is a one-person show featuring an actual actor. It is a remarkable feat of self-restraint from writer-director-producer-fx supervisor-star Nigel Bach.

Also he gets a better phone mounted outside his front door.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 11, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

escape artist posted:

best Last-Drive In episodes from season 1? I missed them all. watching Henry to start

Does it bother anyone else that Joe Bob Briggs writes for Taki’s Magazine, a literal white supremacist publication? I know they try to get regular conservatives to write for them as cover, but yikes. I feel weird watching him now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

but you repeat yourself

This poo poo goes back to 2011, when Richard Spencer was an editor there. I could guess that he has some reactionary ideas. Am I the last one to realize that Joe Bob Briggs is an open nazi?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Writing for Taki is pretty damning in itself. The guy is a nazi. That’s what upset me beyond knowing that Joe Bob is stuck in the 80s wrt social justice and politics, which I already knew.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Svengoolie never faltered.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Now someone’s going to post a clip of him in 1978 doing a skit in blackface as Ben from Night of the Living Dead.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are a few reasons a person would go watch a movie where women are sliced apart while screaming and moaning. Some of those reasons are good and compatible with prosocial attitudes, and some of them are what upset Tobe Hooper when he heard a guy scream, “yeah, get that bitch!” at a screening of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Kind of like how the alt-right coopted irony on the internet, transgression can be good or bad depending on context and who’s doing it. Joe Bob may have been hiding in a lacuna all this time and allowing one to be mistaken for another.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh Jesus Joe Bob:

https://www.takimag.com/article/first_amendment_101_joe_bob_briggs/#axzz51GzFE5hJ

Arguing that the nazis at Charlottesville were the victims because they’re a hated minority unfairly denied their right to free speech. He’s a nazi.

quote:

By the time the event happens, the Alt-Righters are outnumbered anywhere from ten to one to a hundred to one.

Things get nasty. It usually starts when an Alt-Right guy gets cut off from his comrades and surrounded. Somebody knocks his hat off or tries to grab his flag pole or—the biggest prize of all—seizes one of those homemade shields that are normally found only at Renaissance Fairs. If he tries to get away, the bullies lock arms and block his path, all the while screaming at him or spitting at him. They’re trying to get him to throw a punch, so they can commence a group beatdown, but since most of the Alt-Righters have prepared for this, if only in their imaginations, they simply try to push through the crowd. But since pushing through the crowd requires shoving some guy in the chest or holding him at bay with a flag pole, we end up with a YouTube video of a skinny nerd being chased through the streets for ten minutes by 30 angry guys, loaded for bear, often restrained only by their girlfriends. Blood flows.

Portraying nazis as the helpless noble victims of a vicious rabble is like nazi rhetoric 101.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess in terms of pacing for part 1 it lets them use Ben’s library scene to develop plot and character and still have a link to the part where he falls down the hill into the other characters.

There’s like two too many characters in IT.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I was digging back through his twitter feed (and yes I feel stupid for doing it and twitter sucks, yadda yadda), here's what he said about Taki's:

Like, even going deep, deep into a character who doesn't agree with your own personal beliefs, you have to draw a line at writing for an alt-right website. If it was just "I'm getting paid, and this is something 'Joe Bob' would do"... that's lovely but it can be overlooked. But when you're writing a how-to book for how to protect alt-right demonstrators from "violent" counter-protestors, that's quite a huge step beyond something like Stephen Colbert doing his pseudo-O'Reilly schtick.

Also like, gently caress that site for being named "Taki's". Takis are delicious, there's literally nothing Good that Nazis won't claim and then ruin.

Well he’s got a point that he’s been there a lot longer than Ann Coulter. We should look at who was writing there ten years ago to get a sense of what the place was like and—

https://www.takimag.com/contributor/richardspencer/69/

Ah...um. Aw jeez.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shudder passing on Elvira is the worst business decision imaginable. Plus she’s in way better shape than Joe Bob and isn’t a fascist. Her voice doesn’t sound like it’s about to wheeze into nonexistence by every third interstitial. And she’s not a fascist.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

If he's defending literal Nazis, I'm pretty sure he's on the cusp of it and just hasn't said anything that he knows would get people really mad.

Richard Spencer was the managing editor when Joe Bob started writing there.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

So general question: Has there ever been a horror film that, for whatever reason, made you actvily and honestly angry?

There were two for me:

Megan is Missing was both so loving awful, and so deeply mean spirited and nasty that I honestly felt pissed after watching it. I can handle awful acting and some of the worst directing of all time, but add to that some of the weirdest/gross dialogue I've ever heard (made 100 times worse because the characters are meant to be young teens despite being played be actresses who are clearly in their early to mid 20's) and the biggest gently caress YOU ending ever in a found footage movie that didn't end with a web address and I honestly wanted to have my time back.

Second was Green Inferno, a movie whose entire message is "HEH, YOU loving SJW CUCKS WANNA HELP SAVE THE RAINFOREST? WELP GUESS WHAT? THE SAVAGE EVIL DISGUSTING MONSTER NATIVES WILL TEAR YOU APART AND EAT YOU. TRIGGERED YET?"

I instantly thought of Megan is Missing before I even read the rest of your post. It’s the only time other that Tarantino or Whedon fret that I knew I was watching the director pay people to enact his fetishes.

I rented Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows on dvd and was infuriated by its presumptuousness in assuming that I would watch that soulless piece of studio trash a second time to discover the secret message inserted by the home video marketing team. It’s an astounding display of arrogance, somehow even greater than ending a movie with a cut to black and a url.

Green Inferno I didn’t mind because the final girl stayed true to her values and lured the natives to the developers’ camp so that they could slaughter them and retain control of their land.

Knock Knock on the other hand is the worst sort of insincere direct-from-4chan “irony” that I could imagine. It’s just Roth letting us know that we can hate women as much as we want so long as we remember to wink conspiratorially every so often. Also that movie tweaked me to the face that his wife is 20 years younger than him and he keeps putting her in these movies about women getting brutalized or being evil.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Roar made me extremely angry, and it is actually horror, though not intended to be. That guy deserved to be consumed by his neglected pet lions and the only reason I’m glad he wasn’t is that the lions probably would have been killed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m reading It for the first time, and my goodness Richie uses his...uh...n-word voice a lot more than I would expect even a novel from 1985 to think was acceptable. Can’t wait for the kids to gently caress each other.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

No feet, so he didn’t have a measurable influence.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sometimes you want a hamburger.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You’re not my real mom!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I was always confused by the abundance of full frontal in Carrie. I guess it was just new in the 70s that you could have Bush in your movie?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lake Mungo seems like a winner there. Only one quick shot of gore.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Necrotizer F posted:

Then why didn't IT just eat? On multiple occasions in this movie and previous one, IT has one of the Losers trapped, helpless and available for munching and IT lets them go or otherwise doesn't bother to complete the kill. Either IT has some other purpose for them that requires them to remain alive, or IT knows that IT is in a movie and is not allowed to snarf any of the main cast until near the end if it all.

I'm fan-wanking the "priesthood" idea because as it stands there's just some bad writing. Also, I kind of like the idea of the rituals and sacraments because that inverts the nature of ITs action. When IT is active, IT isn't feeding. IT's planting seeds of fear, despair and rage in Derry. Those seeds ripen into poisoned fruit within the town, sickening and twisting the next generation of Derry and letting IT bend them to ITs will and feed on their spirits. That's what IT feeds on, not the kids IT kills when IT's active.

Also, isn't interesting how all the Losers seemed to become very successful as adults. Bill's a best-selling author with a movie. Ben is a sought-after architect. Richie is a successful stand-up comic. We don't get much detail but Stan and Eddie seemed to be living well. Bev's marriage sucked but she clearly married someone wealthy and powerful. Even Mark runs the Derry Public Library, which is probably a job with some prestige in that town. No one's in jail or homeless or just living hand-to-mouth in a crappy job. Perhaps that's because they were all, in a weird, roundabout way, "blessed" by IT.

In the first movie, he couldn’t eat Beverly because she wasn’t afraid of him enough. Maybe I just inferred the wrong thing, but I got the sense that the kids were too resilient in some way to be his prey, like there’s a psychic or metaphysical component to his feeding.

Anyway, I’m reading the novel and there’s a five-page span where Ben remembers looking up a girl’s skirt as a kid and getting a huge boner, hears a white guy do an “n-word voice” (there’s a lot of white guys doing n-word voices) and then as an adult looks at a high-school girl’s shirt and notices that she’s not wearing a bra and has hard nipples.

If I had read it at 15 I probably would have loved it, but how do adults ever get to be Stephen King fans? Isn’t IT supposed to be one of his best novels?

There’s also a part where the characters meet up as adults and talk about their lives, and after Ben describes how he told a guy off asa kid, Eddie tells him that he doesn’t think kids would talk that way. It’s a surprising amount of self-awareness.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I read The Stand when I was 12 or 13 and I really liked it. And in high school I read the four Dark Tower books that were out at that time, and the only creepy thing I remember is an old lady fingering Susan and possibly eating out her butt (?) to do magic or something. I realize now what an extremely weird thing that is to put in your fantasy adventure story.

I guess before the internet, perverts had to find their weird sex stuff in mainstream avenues. I remember like Buck Rogers had bondage poo poo in it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

I think I watched Beyond The Black Rainbow tonight. There's no way to say for certain.

It’s great. It perfectly recreates the experience of turning on some weird-rear end movie partway through on the sci-fi channel or uhf on a hot summer late at night when you’re 12 and you can’t quite follow the plot but remember disjointed scenes really clearly. Everything perfectly captures that off-kilter feeling of watching Prince of Darkness or Evil Dead or something and not getting quite how it all hangs together while trying to make sense of what you’re seeing at 2:00am and don’t have school the next day.

I want to argue that’s the deal with the stinger of the sentionaut toy sitting on shag carpet while a tv in the background plays audio from the movie—that it’s all somebody’s garbled memory of a movie seen in childhood, meant to set a mood. That’s just an affective thing, and maybe personal to me only, but it kept me rapt through the whole thing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m reading IT and holy poo poo does King love having white characters talk in a black stereotype voice. It happens even more often than weird sex stuff. I thought it was part of some kind of statement about the 50s, but I think he just thinks it’s funny.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ariza posted:

Stephen King thinks teenagers say 'jeepers' in 2019. I do think The Institute will be a good mini series. I don't know if the physical book is split the same way, but on Audible there are almost 200 chapters with most being a few minutes long.

The Outsiders was good, but I gave up when there were a couple hours left and I knew what was happening. The miniseries has filmed (I've heard) and Ben Mendelsohn is starring and he's usually amazing. If they stay true there will be some really fantastic scenes.

Edit - grammar

Does he still have white characters talking in stereotyped Stepin Fetchit voices?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Another weird part of IT is Bill’s anger at how literary theory has politicized the simple joy of a story that just is a ripping good yarn without subtext and how the literary establishment will celebrate garbage if it makes a political statement.

I have to wonder if some of that is King getting defensive about people noticing how often people get boners and suck each other off in his novels.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m watching the Karloff Mummy for the first time (on Svengoolie!) and while I’m sure this is something people mention a lot, I’m struck by how the flashback narrated by Karloff looks like an old silent movie from 20-30 years earlier, something enhanced by the score that plays over the silent action. It’s a smart bit of metatextuality I wouldn’t expect from something coming 10 years after Dracula.

Those blackface “nubian” servants, though—yikes!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

No—when they put Karloff in the ground at the end of the flashback, there are two black servants who lift the sarcophagus who look like they’re painted black. I could be wrong, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Burkion posted:

Going off of memory here, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't any black face in the Karloff Mummy.

Could be wrong, but I'm PRETTY sure there wasn't.

Not that it wouldn't surprise me if there was. Fun fact, the shot of them being violently killed was later reused for the 40s Mummy movie, but censored.

I’m glad to know it. Still not thrilled the black guys only show up to lift something and white Egyptians do everything else.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

married but discreet posted:

All this talk about horny cats inspired me to watch Cat People (1982). It's definitely interesting but somehow still lackluster apart from a few scenes, especially those taken from the original.
Gave me a lot of time to think why cats and werecats are just not really that scary compared to other carnivores or mammals even. There's plenty of scary canine or bear movies, but has anyone ever managed to make cats scary? Don't say Tom Hooper.

I can’t stand it because of the part where John Heard knocks the unconscious panther’s head on the edge of the table. That movie wasn’t ever worth the risk of tranquilizing a big cat, much less carelessly throwing it around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Got a seed of an interesting story I might wanna write, but its about killer constrictors. Please list all "giant nonvenomous snake" movies below for my research

Conan?