Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Patrick Swayze wrote and performed “She’s Like the Wind” for Jamie Lee Curtis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's funny how a person's personal peeves/expertise/experiences that nobody else cares about can totally ruin a movie for them. I hated the movie Winter's Bone because it's set in the town I grew up in and everyone in the film talks like a backwoods hillbilly. They even have a god drat ho-down. It's not at all what people in that part of the state act like and it irked me.

*gets back to milking the pigs*

I live in New York City and bad location shooting drives me insane. Jason Takes Manhattan is fun and all, but holy poo poo at them using Vancouver (especially the subways) as NYC.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Funny Games was discussed earlier and I watched the 2007 one for the first time in years today. One of the things that surprised me the most this time around is most of the graphic violence happens offscreen. The dog, Georgie, George, etc. The only thing shown is when Ann shoots Peter and that’s of course immediately rectified.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Couldn't they make a deal with the monsters and let them eat like just one kid?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Spatulater bro! posted:

Just watched The Stepfather and I have a plot question. Why is the house he lives in with the new family identical to the previous house? Even down to the woodworking workshop in the basement. For a short while I actually theorized that we were seeing a flashback that occured before the events in the opening scene, due to the identical setting.

I think it's a combination of the aforementioned commentary on suburban life in the US and a small budget. Stepfather 2 obviously has a bigger budget, but also turns into a slapstick comedy at times. Think about the difference between the first Child's Play and parts 2 and 3 and you'll get what I mean.

The less said about part 3 the better. And I haven't seen the remake because I really get annoyed watching Dylan Walsh sweat.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Antz

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Stuart Gordon's King of the Ants

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember the ads for Fire in the Sky making it seem as though the entire movie is just the abduction scene.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Regarding Fear Street not quite capturing the 90s, a lot of these shows and movies are more "What if it was like this back then?" instead of what it was actually like. A perfect example is Stranger Things, in which the kids somehow make replica-grade Ghostbuster suits and backpacks for Halloween like six months after the movie came out. Or a bunch of fourteen year olds somehow watching Day of the Dead in the theater when it was an unrated film (basically X) and not in wide release.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, especially considering the movie bombed when it first came out and the reviews weren't very good either. It took a while for opinions to change about the Thing, so having posters and a VHS copy two or three years later is a stretch. It's a lot of wishful thinking about how it was back then, sort of like when you're telling a story and midway through you realize it's boring so you feel like you have to exaggerate and embellish to keep people interested.

I'm also curious as to what sort of radios they used that are as reliable as cell phones in 1985.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

M_Sinistrari posted:

I did see Day of the Dead at the drive in back in the day. Don't remember if it was unrated. Now, Dawn of the Dead maybe played at one theater in my area, trailer was shown super late on TV and only way I got to see it was on bootleg.

Yeah, but were you and your friends fourteen in a theater when it first came out? That's what strains credulity. They could have easily gone for a drive-in because you could sneak like six kids in the back of a station wagon in those days.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I get what you're saying, but having been around back then myself, R ratings were more of a suggestion, but they cracked down pretty hard on anyone sneaking into an X/unrated film.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I mentioned that too, that it's unlikely a small town theater would both agree to show an unrated movie and get their hands on something that wasn't wide release to begin with.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, I know I'm getting a bit ridiculous, I just have an issue with what people would like the past to be like instead of what it was actually like. For instance, making everything neon and bright colors and poo poo when most of the 80s was brown as hell. This is more for the Irrationally Irritating thread.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's like people are somehow convinced that the entirety of the 80s looked like the mall from Commando, even people that lived through the decade.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
When I was only a zygote…

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wait, is Kvlt! like a big Rob Zombie fan or something?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So this is what it's like...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The weirdest thing about Sleepaway Camp to me is the old camp owner who gets excited about going in a date with his teenage employee right before they’re both killed, because he’s otherwise portrayed as a normal, kind guy. It seems like an artifact of an earlier version of the story before they cast an old man for that part.

A couple pages back but...what? He spends half the movie yelling that all the deaths must be accidents so the camp doesn't close, and the other half trying to beat the poo poo out of Ricky.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Even the trailers for OLD make it look loving stupid. It’s going to be another Happening.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Which could actually be done well. There are plenty of great movies where if you just look at the concept you’d expect garbage. But even the trailers, which are supposed to make you want to see the move, are loving dire.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CelticPredator posted:

I think it looks fun

Come on, we went to different schools together.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
A good friend of ours was an extra in the Last Airbender during the infamous rock throwing scene. He told us one of the most bizarre experiences in his career was first listening to Shyamalan explain how incredible the scene was eventually going to look while on set, and then watching the finished product months later.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought you were talking about Jim Varney and now I wish he would have played a vampire at some point.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdIRrmNN_CQ

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Isn't Amazon rebranding Prime to imdb.tv? I keep seeing ads for it, that may have something to do with all the rearranging.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I could be wrong, but I understood it that it will still have the Amazon name, but being they wanted to stop using Prime for streaming because it's too confusing with the Prime shipping service.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I really wish Rob Zombie would go back to making music.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He never stopped. He had a new album drop less than six months ago

I mean exclusively, instead of making movies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My issue is with the sequels, they just kept getting worse. And now they're going to do yet another one twenty-five years after the first without Craven. And they're not calling it 5cream.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I used to like Scream 2, but then I watched it a couple years ago with my spouse as she had only seen the first and I just couldn't get over the whole "killing people with similar names" thing, or that they actually started cheating when it came to the killer moving around like with the car accident scene. In the first one it seemed like they were cheating until you find out there are two killers. You cannot tell me Laurie Metcalf was putting on the costume and running around to help out Timothy Olyphant, especially when she spends most of the movie bugging Gale in broad daylight.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That was actually my favorite part when I saw it again, just Laurie Metcalf, Timothy Olyphant, and Liev Schreiber trying out out-crazy one another.

And I've seen Pieces but somehow completely forgot the ending. Is that the one where there's a skeleton in graduation robes jumping out a window?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's the one where the last ten seconds are the stitched together jigsaw puzzle corpse the killer was assembling suddenly coming to life and ripping the male lead's balls off

Drunkboxer posted:

A dingdong gets ripped off right before the credits roll

Well, that brought it right the gently caress back, thanks.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What's the last good movie Rodriguez made? The Sin City sequel was loving depressing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'll say this: I love Scream unreservedly, but other than Scream 2, pretty much every slasher movie that followed in its wake was complete dogshit

I'll agree with all of this except the Scream 2 part. I mentioned this before, but I guested on a horror movie podcast for an episode on I Know What You Did Last Summer and people get really loving defensive about those movies, especially the first two. Though I didn't do myself any favors by declaring it one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen surpassed only by the sequel.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I will forever have a soft spot for I Still Know What You Did Last Summer for both its nonsensical title and the fact that the entire movie hinges on Jennifer Love Hewitt and crew not knowing the capital of Brazil.

That's exactly what I was getting at. The two choices are that the characters are that loving stupid (one is a political science major) and there's no tension or mystery, or that the filmmakers thought the audience was that loving stupid so the tension and mystery would actually work.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's probably a little of both but I subscribe to the former just because I like picturing the killer on the other end of the phone having to be like "....sure, whatever"

Hahaha, I really like that.

Basebf555 posted:

Let's not forget Will Benson. Get it? Will, Ben's Son. Oh poo poo!!!!

Also that Ben was apparently already known as a wife murderer on the island but nobody ever did anything about it. And he somehow transported all the bodies from North Carolina to the Bahamas. And had his son do at least a semester or two at the same school as Julie and Brandi, and knew that they'd take him on the trip instead of Freddie Prinze Jr., and then knew the exact route Freddie would take from North Carolina to Boston so he could incapacitate him instead of killing him and goddamnit I'm getting a headache again.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just meant that a political science major would know the capital of one of the biggest countries on the planet. At least I would think so.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’ve had arguments with people in other states about whether or not NYC is the capital of New York. I loving live here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MrGreenShirt posted:

The Gate
The Hole (2009)

I haven’t seen Gate II in decades but don’t things keep melting into literal poo poo in that movie?