Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

david_a posted:

Can someone please explain the appeal of Lords of Salem to me

If you can get really high, way drunk and start to squint hard, Lords of Salem is like a satanic homage to the Shining and Rosemary's Baby.

I had fun when I first saw it, near Halloween and in a spooky sort of mood, though I cannot recommend watching it sober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

I got exposed to Arachnophobia way, way too young and it likely instilled a (rightful) fear of spiders ever since.

Watching it as an adult though, I'm laughing constantly because Bridges plays the whole thing straight and Goodman is just a treat- watching him use increasingly stronger pesticides until he just starts spraying literal acid is one of the best gags in any creature feature.

On someone's recommendation I finally gave The Blood on Satan's Claw a spin last night and man, I'm glad I did.

Being a Hammer Horror vet at this stage, I came in with certain expectations of how a 70's English horror should proceed. While imaginative and certainly risque for it's time, Hammer films can be a little procedural and formulaic in their structure.This movie tore all this poo poo down, and I was treated to a startlingly dark, original tale about a cult in the countryside. It has a lot of similarities to Wicker Man, which came out two years afterwards by the same studio, but is gracefully absent of the sing-alongs and rough edges (and Christopher Lee :( ). What it does have is a mature, dark and rich atmosphere that most horror films dips only a toe into. Satan's Claw revels in it's weird fiction influence, and while a little slow in it's buildup, has a wicked payoff at the end.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

I think I'm gonna watch Hobo With a Shotgun in his honor

Same.

Wanted to chime into the V/H/S debate. I'd argue that it's a specific species of horror, and it's divisiveness comes from it's voyeuristic aspect.

There's a raw meanness, a trashy spitefulness that colors the first two films (won't see #3) that both authenticates the found footage premise but also easily turns people off.

But it also really, really makes the whole thing believable. It has the real feeling of being shot by dumb teenagers and horrified bystanders. There are no heroes, no protagonists or antagonists, just supernatural events weaved together with a filmsy paper-thin plot.

It's very similar to the Blair Witch Project, if you dug that's it's a good litmus test for the series. If you're the sort of person who's ever watched someone undress unknowingly in front of a window, V/H/S is for you.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

What the gently caress happened to intermissions?

It's inhumane to expect a paying customer to hold their bladder for >2.5 hours while they digest culture, soda, snacks and the overall American cinema experience.

The absolute last film I remember needing and thanking for having an intermission in was Gods and Generals. If it didn't have one, the film would have enacted itself through audience rioting.

I want IT 2 to be a good film, I saw the first part in a theater and it was a treat. I probably won't be seeing it in theaters though. Having to strategically piss and play the bladder game with the crowd is just unfun enough to cancel out what's gained by the setting.

Plus drastically fewer show times throughout the day.

I'm just scratching my head trying to see the logic in this.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

Basically I am an old man and I want the toilet-recliners from Idiocracy to be real.

IT SPOILERSThe turtle's showing up when you take a piss. Doesn't matter when.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Are you saying that you wouldn't follow ScarJo into a spooky house?

I would, even knowing full well the consequences.

It'd be worth it.

I loved Under the Skin, but it's not a movie that I can view again and again because it really does prioritize style over substance.

But the style is really, really good. You're shown an alien being working the problem of how to feed on human beings, you are told exactly nothing.

It's like a hosed up nature documentary, showing the predator and prey play a game that plucks random Johns from the street.

It's a scenario we've all entertained and seen before, the mysterious hitchhiker, but it's expressed in a day-in-the-life of a completely alien being that's fresh and novel.

It really depends on the audience to figure out and spitball the exposition, but I dig a film that has the confidence to leave a little (to a lot) to the imagination.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

That is a beautiful, and sensible list.

But for the life of me I cannot figure out what Crimson Peak is doing there.

Is it like a participation grade sort of thing, because it's been the only real attempt at grand-gothic horror in the last few decades?

As much as I sincerely wanted to enjoy and become immersed in the movie, it just felt like a hollow spectacle ala the last few decades of Tim Burton. The set pieces were cool, some shots memorable, but the story was paper thin, full of tropes and engaged very little.

Pan's Labyrinth, on the other hand, is a loving masterwork.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't remember the last 30 minutes because I dozed off

Those moments were lost, like piss in the rain.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

The Lighthouse looks amazing, Robert Pattinson is on a loving fire isn't he? High Life, Good Time, and soon he'll be Batman. I would have never in a hundred years predicted this from the sparkly dude in Twilight.

Anyone who's hyped about The Lighthouse that hasn't seen Cold Skin is doing themselves a disservice. While not written by Lovecraft, his style is stamped all over it while you are shown, not told, a strange tale concerning two men, fish people and a lighthouse.

It got a small release, but Ray Stevenson really lifted it up and made the weird fiction believable. A lesser film would have explained the supernatural elements through zooms and voiceover, but Cold Skin plays it straight and treats it's audience like adults. I wish they had explored the fish people a little more, but being left wanting in terms of the imagination is often more satisfying than being told flat out what's up.

e: I remember thinking to myself while watching, "this is just a wet I am Legend". The book, not the recent film.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

As unlikely as it is, I'm SUPER HYPED about Richard Stanley's The Color from Space.

There have been numerous attempts to put to film Lovecraft's seemingly unfilmable short story. Some were memorable but most fall into the mediocre schlock pit by virtue of shameful special effects or a loose grasp on the story. Soft adaptaions have been more successful (Annihilation), but we live in a world that produced Naked Lunch so anything is possible.

But as crazy as it is, I think Richard Stanley is the perfect mixture of visionary, headfucked and madman to pull it off. I have no idea in hell why any studio would give him money after he proved too insane to competently direct a major motion picture, but I'm glad they did.

The dude did a few spooky music videos after making Hardware (awesome) and Dust Devil (wicked). Disgraceful mental collapse aside, the bro has vision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHIsIVB7C8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09AZd1Z-Ek0

God help me, I have hope.

e: If you haven't read the original, Horrorbabble has a great book on tape recording. Treat yourself by playing this with headphones, wine, weed and in total darkness.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 8, 2019

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

re: Zahler

He's sort of a mixed bag, with his right-wing ticks getting heavier for every film he does.

Bone Tomahawk will likely remain his masterpiece. A well assembled western genre-bender, it has great performances from Russell and Jenkins and the film is very brisk for it's two hour run-time.

Brawl in Cellblock 99 is a good follow-up, I've seen it twice and will likely again. Vaughn is a physical powerhouse and Zahler's brutal action style is used very, very effectively. The run-time could have been chopped down a little, but the style of build-up and gory pay-off is handled well and it works.

Dragged Across Concrete is where the cracks start to show. I don't know how much Zahler personally buys into the right-wing crazy cycle, but his slanted portrayal of America is like the visualized ramblings of your racist uncle at Thanksgiving. Instead of giving Mel Gibson a platform for redemption, he's given a dirty alley in which his racism is enabled and justified. Yes, it's true that part of America are authentically racist as all get-out, but the characters and setting do more to abet than condemn the weird militant right-wing lens this film is shown through.

Dragged Across Concrete should have been called Fox News: The Movie.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 21, 2019

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

Having heard a small mountain of praise for Boxer's Omen, I embarked on a long, cruel search for the film.

It seemed that no legal or otherwise means existed to see this gem. Was is slowly becoming a lost film?

Nah, they posted the drat thing on youtube earlier this month!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wjq43_WpMg

This was one of the very few films that has lived up to it's hype.

It's like a kung-fu flick directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky. No words, they should have sent a poet. See this!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Here’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while. What are movies you’d play on mute at a Halloween party? You know, films with strong visuals that don’t require narrative support to resonate, with a “Halloween” vibe.

House (dir. Obayashi) is the one that comes to mind immediately. Night of the Comet is a strong choice, as is Dawn of the Dead (dir. Romero).

Haxan 1922

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

Finally caught Midsommar last night and found it to be a cerebral, flawed, but ultimately worthwhile entry into the criminally small genre of folk horror.

With all movies I'm interested in, I shield myself from ads, trailers, promotional material so I can go into a movie pure and innocent, absent of expectations. I thought it shared a LOT of DNA with Hereditary, and was 100% not suprised to discover the same guy directed the two. Had I known that going in, I think I wouldn't have enjoyed the film as much as I did.

It was the remake The Wicker man should have received. It was more faithful to the spirit of the original than the boring transitivity Nic Cage prostituted himself for.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 25, 2019

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

You guys are killing Kvlt! with your quality horror suggestions.

The bro has waded through spooky schlock for so long the sunshine of quality actually burns.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

This October I'm going to deepthroat that spooky dick until it sharply tears my larynx- red blood gushes out and I fade to black tasting true horror.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

I pity the fool who was cast to follow up Dourif's Piter De Vries character in Dune.

The bro left some big eyebrows to fill.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

Borg queen's played by Alice Krieg who's been in a bunch of horror movies.

Captain Picard is played by Patrick Stewart, who has suffered from male pattern balding since a very young age and that terrifies most men.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 1, 2019

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

im sick as a dog today so im gonna catch up on the horror challenge work my way thru those shaw brothers reccomendations

Doctor's orders-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wjq43_WpMg

Gorge on that spooky dick until your strength returns.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Is there seriously nowhere to view Boxer's Omen with English subtitles? That's kind of hosed up.

Rip the video from youtube using very legal, very cool software.
Get subtitles from subscene.
Sync the subtitles.
Enjoy.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

Dracula is a goddamn incel if anyone is. For centuries of gothic pining I haven't once, once seen Dracula get laid.

Anyone who thinks Frankenstein is some limp-dicked Herbert West type needs to wash out their heathen mouths with soup and watch Peter Cushing's The Curse of Frankenstein.

Frankenstein fucks.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

You're in Carcosa now.

The Yellow King, he sees you.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Today is lovely and chilly and the leaves are falling and everything is orange and brown. I just watched Sleepy Hollow and I need to inject autumn directly into my veins.

What're some horror movies that capture Autumn really well?

The Blackcoat's Daughter

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

The average horror fan drowns in the same schlock in which Kvlt! swims with delight.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

31 not only isn't terrible, it's one of his finest movies after LoS.

Fight me.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

Go ahead and shoot the loving dog, horror as a genre is meaningless without dem tiddies.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

Once Kvlt! harnesses the power of his raw Rob Zombie tat to deliver a stunning defense of "31" I will consider the thread to be in "money shot" status.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

In one corner, a man who eats schlock hand over first as if his life depends on it.

In the other, a gaggle of Eastern Bloc bots.

Whoever wins, we lose.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

Just shamelessly and compulsively devouring horror movies like a sad housewife mows through ice cream.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

I hope those sharks feel real, real bad after the main character commits suicide.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

Midsommar is a movie I enjoyed watching, it captivated me, but I will likely never watch it again.

5 bags of popcorn.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

On the topic of Misery, Caste Rock season 2 just wrapped up and actually managed to stick the landing this time.

Quality season, Tim Robbins got a good chance to shine (hah).

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

Fun Fact: Horror movies are a useful tool against many forms of oppression. Wage slavery included.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

Dad's universally have terrible taste in movies, and horror is no exception.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

What we’ve got here is failure to communicate.

Some men you just can't reach.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

In the end, the real horror was the friends we made along the way.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

I think he straight up looks like a monster :shrug:

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

I watched the Conjuring thinking, "this is a perfectly adequate horror movie for this decade", and resolved to never even dip a toe in the sequels. If you put a gun to my head I'd watch it again, but I've forgotten 80% of the movie about those two frauds.

The two leads elevated the material in a very real way.

I'm glad I got out of the way of the tornado of poo poo the series had become.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 11, 2020

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

We really don't need a movie like Underwater while we live in a world with The Abyss.

It's just redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

The Joker's main problem is that despite it's long runtime, it's a shallow exploration in what should have been a deep and thoughtful movie. It's a teenager's take on Taxi Driver, a film that invites many interesting and novel storytelling avenues to the table then engages with exactly none of them.

Phoenix elevated the material in a way that's seldom seen today, and with a good script this may have been the movie few dared to hope for. The difference between what this movie could have been and actually was is what drives folks crazy, it's amazing box office success is just salt in the wound.

The near-misses are the ones that hurt the most.