Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I saw The Turning tonight and can confirm itís dreadful. Go watch The Innocents instead, it being a far, far superior adaptation of Turn of the Screw.

Kermode hits it absolutely on the head about the ending (in a great non-spoilery way).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM8gEI8NqYw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Is COOS on a rolling release? Itís not playing anywhere around me yet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Considering Lovecraft's views, I'm pretty sure he's only cool with a white dude playing Cthulhu.

Thankfully heís dead. Asian woman Cthulhu!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Thereís also Spiders-man.

And oh. Well thatís disappointing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Iím intrigued by Fantasy Island in a couple of weeks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

Antebellum looks promising but I can't really get a sense of what it's gonna be like from the trailers

Antebellum just looks like The Village with extra slavery.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

moths posted:

Antebellum looks like a time-traveling Confederate South that kidnaps people, based on the preview.

It feels like an jaded corporate reaction to Jordan Peele. Some boardroom asked themselves "What would be scary if we were black?" and landed on the Bermuda Southangle.

Thereís a new trailer that appears to give more of the game away. Thereís heavily implied brainwashing to ignore/block out modern things like planes flying over.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Is G&H any good?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ehud posted:

Gretel and Hansel was messy. It's great visually. You could screen cap just about any scene in the movie and frame it. The architecture and design of the witch's house is awesome and surreal. I also enjoyed the soundtrack, which was unexpectedly synth-driven. But there were a lot of things that just didn't work for me.

I'll agree with this mostly, and I definitely enjoyed it. The look seemed to go for something '70s Hammer-esque with the lighting, and the 'sock over the lens' style nighttime. At no point did it feel like a horror film, more just that things were slightly off-kilter. Soundtrack synths were very good.

The witch's cottage looked incredibly modern, which threw me a bit. But on the other hand, it made some of the imagery work astoundingly well. And as you say, it's visually stunning.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

G&H talk:

I fully expected The Huntsman to come back at some point?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A film I see mentioned a lot in non-horror films with excellent horror sections is A Field in England. Anyone have opinions before I sit down to watch it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

I liked it but found it hard to follow, mostly because I was high but also because the accents were tough to decipher and it's intentionally disorienting

Well Iím English anyway, so I should be alright with accents.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

shadowvine118 posted:

Just saw Gretel and Hansel. It was OK, the visuals were great, and the music.

Did anyone else get the impression that it took place in a post apocalyptic world? The clothing, hair styles, and architecture seemed all over the place. The rich guy Gretel tried to get a job from alluded to some sort of devastating event going on, which could be anything from a famine, disease, or war. I kind of imagined it as taking place in a time after a particularly devastating 20th century world war.

I thought they said it was during the time of the Black Plague?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Close Encounters is extremely scary in places, playing straight with the horror tropes and framing. The abduction scene in the house is terrifying, and feels like itís pre-informing a lot of Spielbergís Poltergeist.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Powerman 5000 ainít busy, get Spider One.

A less approachable-looking Guy Fieri?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I saw Parasite last night, and I see why people were bringing it in this thread. Eyes in the dark is one of my big fears, so that shot was absolutely terrifying to me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Superdeep trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-09WLbKBKY

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I saw Fantasy Island! It is Not Good. The beginning scenes of the torture room make no sense when the twist is revealed at the end, and the whole story really just falls apart. Michael PeŮa glowering all the time got old really fast, when heís much better being cheeky smiley chap (ŗ la Antman/The Martian). Also the Tattoo reveal made me cringe so hard.

So, UK goons will (hopefully) know of the BBC drama Ghostwatch, which severely scared the hell out of me watching live as a kid, and is a legit classic. But have people in this thread from other parts of the world seen it? And if so, whatís your take?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Letters from Whitechapel was one of my favourite games until I played their stripped down version, Whitehall Mystery. Itís a much purer, streamlined game with less faffing about in parts, and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tarnop posted:

:same:

also the recent Jaws board game is a blast

Oh neat, I just picked that up for like $12.

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh poo poo people are talking about horror board games? Well I have good news, THE FURY OF DRACULA has been back in print!

I remember buying that when FF lost the licence? And there were rumours it was going to go OOP because Games Workshop are useless? Still not played it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Is The Lodge just another take on Turn of the Screw like The Turning?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

I saw The Lodge tonight. I went into it blind and holy poo poo. To me it was like Hereditary in that it's really well made and nightmarish, and I never need to see it again.

Yeah, that about sums it up for me too. Itís very creepy, and you spend a lot of time waiting for the other shoe to drop, and then oh god.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tarnop posted:

The Lodge doesn't have a release date in the UK :(

I think thatís also true of Gretel and Hansel?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Oh my loving god, this made me IMDB the kid from The Lodge (who was also in It) and I realized that he was also Henry from The Book of Henry hahahahahahaha

He was also the Nazi child in Knives Out, which I completely failed to realise.

meat glitter posted:

saw the lodge today and there was a "point" the guy behind me jumped so hard he spilled his popcorn all on the floor lol.

First 5 minutes with the mother or last 5 with the dad?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Lodge: The moment my heart soared and then was shot out of the sky almost immediately, was on hearing the kids drive off in the car, and then 10 seconds later hearing the sound of stuck tires.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ehud posted:

Thatís whatís so weird and great about this movie. The Ēbad guyĒ is a mentally ill cult survivor whose medication is taken away from her. I legitimately felt terrible for her once I realized what was happening.

BUT I also sympathized with the kids. My parents split under similar circumstances and my mom was depressed and suicidal. She only hung on because of us kids. I loving hated the woman my dad cheated on my mom with. I wanted her dead because my 7 year old brain blamed her for ruining my family.

Basically I felt bad for every single person in the movie except for the dad.

The dad is also to blame because he asked the kids if they were ok being left alone with her for a couple of days and they both emphatically told him no. They Did Not Want That. He failed to listen to his children, and ignored their wants because of his own selfish desires.

On top of that, he was super unethical in his relationship with Grace anyway. She was one of the subjects of his book about the cult, and to get involved in a non-professional relationship with someone youíre writing about is morally dark grey.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

About The Lodge

Yes! All this is true words.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

That does explain skeleton ghosts.

And the ones just covered in sheets.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I saw Ready or Not on a plane last night, and it is a lot of fun. I couldnít help but wonder what happened to Grace in the aftermath. I guess she shows the police the bodies decomposing in the barn?

Also my only quibble was about how her hand seemed to heal rapidly from having a massive hole in it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Is Candyman a tulpa?

:thunk:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

I got five on it

Heíd have ten on it, but you know, hook.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Subtlety is overrated, and given Peele's last two films in particular, I think I prefer that he be as blunt as possible.

Get Out was a Good Film, Us less so.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

That pit of syringes in Saw II is one of the few times I've had too look away when watching a horror movie.

gently caress, yes, that was probably the most squicky thing Iíve seen in horror. It combined with my cringe for things involved with fingernails and thoughts about the needles going under the nails and aaaaaagh

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Aww, Max Von Sydow has died. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My friend used to work for Renga Media, a company Doug Bradley has a major stake in. She said heís got a life size Pinhead statue in his office.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Huh, I didn't realise Gordon wrote Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sony's entire slate moved back to 2021. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I'm hoping you guys could help me with something; I'm looking for movies that deal with societal breakdown, but as a gradual process. The movie starts with things are fine or at least OK, and then over the course of the movie stuff gets worse on a citywide, nationwide, or worldwide scale.

The Day the Earth Caught Fire would probably fit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I just watched The Day The Earth Caught Fire, which turned out to be a total disaster movie. It was recommended to me in this thread so I thought maybe disaster counted as a subgenre of horror or something.

Good movie tho

Ooh, that was me. Glad you enjoyed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

Is the thread to post about Invisible Man? I enjoyed it way more than I would have expected from the trailers.

Absolutely, go for it.