Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

"Real life is messy, inconsistent, and it's seldom when anything ever really gets resolved."

Wooohooo!!

Would You Rather is pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

"Real life is messy, inconsistent, and it's seldom when anything ever really gets resolved."

Grant DaNasty posted:

Iíve been considering getting a fiberglass replica Jason Voorhees hockey mask, but Iím not sure which Friday the 13th movie version to get.

Part 4 is iconic because of the cover art with the knife going though it, but part 8 is more wide, yellow, and has metal straps that makes it look cooler.

The best mask I think is this one.

I like the red "arrows".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Get on my level

Nice. I like your photos. Post more.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

LMAO at the posers itt who dont think the Santa episode is the best tales from the crypt one

id also accept the one with bill paxton and brad dourif

LMAO at this poser who doesn't know that the best Tales from the Crypt episode is Cutting Cards featuring Lance Henriksen and Kevin Tighe.

Was I the only person out laughed out loud when in Hereditary The kid hits her head on that light pole

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

No horror movie has made use of Tinder/Grindrís location services. Wanna see some similar to the scene in Aliens with the motion sensor, ďtheyíre right on top of us!Ē

Grindr location services are not accurate like at all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

My grindr is already haunted with people I've ghosted

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I still remember that scene in Alan Quartermain where that hippo hosed that guy up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

I have a weird soft spot for that movie and book because I read King Solomons Mines before I read Congo and it was the first time I realized that you could rework a book into a different story like that. It blew my dumb little kid mind.

Also Bruce Campbell is in the movie, so thatís fun.

Oh holy poo poo Congo is King Solomons mines

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

david_a posted:

I read the book a bunch when I was in my Michael Crichton phase as a kid but I donít know that Iíve seen more than clips from the movie. Does it differ a lot from the book?

I've never read the book but Congo is legit great b movie high adventure.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Fart City posted:

Zombeavers would be my guess.

And yes, it does indeed suck rear end.

I found it funny and gory. Like its not great but it knows what it is and plays that well. Like yeah it sounds terrible but its good B movie fun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The movie is so bad that even Tim Curry looks miserable being in it:

A bad horror movie opinion confession.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

James Woods Fan posted:

Congo loving blows.

Moooooooooooooooooooooooooodddddddddddddddsssssssssssssssss

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, Ernie Hudson hasn't even been brought into the conversation yet, so yea, Congo is good.

And Tim Curry AND Bruce Campbell.

Congo is good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

In 1979 Sergio Martino directed a movie called Island of the Fishmen. Despite the somewhat lurid advertising it...actually earnestly attempts to be interesting, like a mix of a Creature from the Black Lagoon and an Island of Dr. Moreau kind of story. It's not totally successful and pretty slow but I appreciate the effort. And it's relatively tame so a kid could watch it. But it's also a bit dated, compared to something like The Shape of Water this one's a bit too much of a straight-faced throwback to 50s movies.

A couple of years later, like in the case of Lisa and the Devil being released in a drastically different form in the US as The House of Exorcism, it had some new footage shot for its release in the US. However unlike Lisa and the Devil which got turned into a very different movie, the new footage here is just a new introductory scene.......that fuckin' rules. It's well shot, nicely paced, and quite gory compared to the rest of the movie, and is moody enough that they should have just taken the cast and outfits and stuff from it and just made a completely original movie with that. So if you have Prime check out the flick Screamers (1981, Island of the Fishmen's US title) and definitely at least watch the first ten minutes or so.

That's all Roger Corman's doing I am pretty sure. Something about a skinless man or something or another.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Not ranking Gremlins as the number one Christmas horror movie should be punishable by imprisonment.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The House That Jack Built is overrated.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Everyone kept talking about Screamers 1981 so I watched it last night and really enjoyed the he'll out of it. It's a excellent B movie fare with a mad scientist , lost world's , cool monsters and my personally favorite is straight up Gill Man makes a appearance.

Like it's legit great lost world monster B movie fare. It feels like something from the 50s.

Loved it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm really into lost world stuff right now so more B movie stuff like that which is good I am down for.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm glad ghosts aren't real because I'm already a rear end in a top hat and I'd probably be a real rear end in a top hat of a ghost.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Pretty sure the first film Argento made that did not use ADR was Phenomena.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Jo Bob's Xmas special is tomorrow night for those that cannot watch it because of reasons I'll be showing it on Rabbit ( if I can get that drat thing to start working again). I'll post a link later.

It'll start as the same.time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I love that genre of supernatural detective. I would also say The Resurrected from the 90s is good as well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

deety posted:

It's been quite a few years since I've seen it, but I remember liking a miniseries called Ultraviolet. It's about a detective who learns about both vampires and a secret government agency that deals with them.

Yeah I rewatched it a few months ago and it still stands out as really interesting.

Like I'd recommend it.

It's on Hulu.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Jo Bob Briggs marathon is tonight.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Ho ho ho! It's almost time for the...

I know everyone's excited about Joe Bob's marathon tonight, but if you still have room in your stocking for more holiday horror, Tomorrow at 5:30 EST I'll be streaming 4 holiday horror classics, along with a bunch of holiday themed nonsense in between. Which nonsense? Well...

Gremlins

Black Christmas

Krampus

Silent Night, Deadly Night 2

I hope you can join me on my cytube channel (remember to install the extension if you didn't do it in October or you won't see much), and do join us in the official horror thread Discord!

Yay!

Black Christmas tag line is the best.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

We will be watching the Jo Bob Christmas Special come join us and chat

https://discord.gg/7E9m9r

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Just a nice time with friends sitting around the ole yule log with some hot cider settling in to watch

*checks notes*

Cannibal Holocaust

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Why would you sit on a yule log its on fire.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Friday the 13th part 7 has that long burning scene which for the longest was the record for sustained on screen burn.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It drives me loving crazy that Amazon Prime has all these lovely movies that I wanna watch but they're in 4:3. Like Maniac Cop 2. WHyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Maniac Cop series had a weird release history, 2 got an infamously great laser-disc release and but only officially existed on DVD in 4:3 until relatively recently (like 3/4 years ago?). So eventually that one will be on streaming stuff somewhere. - William Lustig himself did a straight up 4K restoration blu-ray of it and it's legit one of the best "THIS IS THE MOST DEFINITIVE RELEASE EVER OF THIS MOVIE"s ever made. It's was better looking than any version I've ever seen and even has 7.1 audio if you have the speakers for it ( I know I never will but that fuckin' owns)!

I was talking about this a bit earlier in the thread but I was noticing some bizarre subtitle/dub discrepincies on some recently added flicks on Prime which makes me think they're using a ton of French and German DVD versions (that included English subtitles at the time) for some of their most recent batches of stuff. In Maniac Cop 2's case a French DVD was the only official way to get it on disk for a long time, so I bet that's what they have.

Maniac Cop 2 absolutely fuckin' rules - and the original is great too! - both are the absolute polar opposite of "lovely movies" (the caliber of the squibs and stunts alone in MC2 make it worth watching let alone the snappy script) so definitely make an effort to see them however you can.

I've seen all the Maniac Cops. I just get agravated with 4:3.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I been meaning to watch Raw Meat or Death Line. Disappointing though that Pleasance and Lee are not in the same scene together as apparently I forget which took the role solely because the other was in it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

How has this thread existed for 10 years and no one has ever mentioned the French film Dial Code Santa Claus because holy poo poo is this amazing.

It is now easily in the top 10 / top 5 Killer Santa Claus movies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

You all need to watch Dial Code Santa Claus asap. Like seriously holy poo poo. Its one of those "How did I miss this for so long".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Tolkien minority posted:

Is gingerdead man fun bad or bad bad

I say fun bad.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Busey wore a Gingerbread man outfit when recording his lines.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Christmas Evil is my must watch Christmas Horror movie every year.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That is a crazy insane looking trailer. Can't wait to see it.

I got a real Invasion of the Body Snatchers vibe from it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 25, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

My girlfriend got me this framed original poster for The Haunted Palace, signed by Roger Corman!

That's a keeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yes but what was the first horror movie to use the "killers wear animal masks ".

I think Stage fright.