Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Just watched the Friday the 13th fan film "Never Hike Alone", and as far as fan films go, it's not too shabby. Some decent shots, some nice suspense. The ending's a bit janky, but all in all, there are worse ways to spend an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

There's some good ideas in Ravager. Like if they had expanded Reggie in the nursing home, and had him talking with The Tall Man, who may or may not have been a patient, I think that could have been interesting.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Resolved: The Friday the 13th Remake sucks.

Everybody always says the teens in the Ft13 films are annoying, but the remake was the only one, to me, where they intentionally tried to make them as annoying as possible and it just ruins it for me. I just want to turn off the film because they're so annoying. If they'd toned them down just a bit it would have been more palpable.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I remember watching "Without Warning" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111735/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_47 on CBS when it first aired. It's a series of fake news reports about an entire town vanishing, a meteor coming to Earth, and all sorts of strange going ons that might just be aliens.

Whole thing seems to be on the Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89u81khMVyc

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

"Bruce, get on this frame. We're going to strap you down, then drive you through the woods. Now somebody hand me the remote to spin him."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

How about everything but the head exploding?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkN8WtFTpE&t=799s

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Also can anyone tell what the difference between these two is? Did I just find some weird Amazon bug or are they just different printings of the same thing that weirdly got priced differently? Obviously I won't buy either if I decide to buy the big one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H45YSO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A18YXWJH0T98I6&psc=1

This one is a region 2 BR set.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jason X on Netflix: say what you will about that film, that shot of Jason chained up at the beginning is such an incredible visual.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I've always preferred the Jason look from Freddy vs Jason.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Particularly in this shot:

edit: HE AIN'T LEAN. HE CARRIES HIS WEIGHT QUITE WELL, THANK YOU!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

I love the angular mask in Jason X. He’s always getting his mask destroyed, makes sense he’d eventually get a different one.

Kane's got an odd shaped head, and they always gave him a large mask to cover it, and at times it seemed almost comical. In P8 it was almost like he was wearing a serving platter on his face. With JX, they finally seem to realize that they needed to sculpt it to fit his shape.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Or revenant if you wanna be anal because Jason isn't raised by an outside force but seemingly entirely by his own will.

Doesn't the movie pretty much paint it as Tina's powers bringing him back to life?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The kill I like in X is the backbreaker he does to the skinny kid. Not for the move itself, but just afterwards, when the body flips over and flops to the floor.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's funny how you never hear anything bad about him as a person.

John Carpenter isn't much of a fan.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Most of the Hellraiser sequels after 3? 4? were just standard horror scripts with Pinhead shoehorned in as a way to continue to hold on the the rights.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

My favorite John Carpenter's stories come from Showtime's Masters of Horror. When the producers got in touch about doing an ep, his wife told them that she wasn't sure he'd do it, since all he does now (2005) is eat fried chicken and play video games. Then when the producers got a hold of Carpenter himself, he had reservations. Those reservations being he wasn't sure he wanted to get up at 6:00am for 10 days.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Awww ...

https://twitter.com/THETomSavini/status/1085684686972743680

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Someone in a PYF thread said they are embarrassed about what their favorite movie was when they were a teenager, but at least now that they're older and wiser they have a legit favorite to be proud of.....Cabin in the Woods. Lol

That's favorite movie, period. In any genre.

Wait, when did this form turn against it? I remember when it came out people here wouldn't stop praising how amazing it was.

Basebf555 posted:

Well, it says that if you think your neighborhood has a crime problem you should just buy some guns and go around murdering people you deem to be criminals.

They should have the decency to dress up like a bat before they start murdering criminals.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

we literally do nothing but talk about movies where giant psychopaths mindless and viciously butcher people all day but boondock saints is where you people draw a moral line thats really fuckin weird

willem dafoe in that movie is fantastic maybe its bc i watched it as a kid a lot but its nostalgic asf for me

The use of flashbacks was really good, especially the way the narrative brought Defoe's character into the flashbacks as he got closer to catching the brothers.

Basebf555 posted:

With Boondock Saints I think the reactions to it are more the result of that disparity between the reception it got when it was released vs. what it actually is. It's not clever and it's not well made, and it has a lovely message so why watch it?

We've called out plenty of horror movies here for having lovely messages/misogyny/being unnecessarily mean spirited too.

Look at the comic book movie threads, where people advocate for characters like Batman to murder people.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Tolkien minority posted:

I liked Dust Devil and Hardware a fair amount so I looked up what he's done recently and I guess he's been doing weird occult documentarys. Has anyone seen any of them? looks interesting

The doc about him and The Island of Doctor Moreau was interesting.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The director of "Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood", passed away:

http://www.fridaythe13thfranchise.com/2019/03/friday-13th-part-vii-new-blood-director.html

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

K. Waste posted:

A healthy attitude sadly not taken by most horror/exploitation film directors.

Ronny Yu got into a fight with Katherine Isabelle on the set of "Freddy vs Jason", because he wanted her to do a nude scene, and she refused. The fact she had it in her contract that she wouldn't do nudity was the only reason she wasn't fired. (He ended up using a body double)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Pinhead was a feminine cenobite in the book anyway, but he's so iconic now that there's no way they won't go with a Doug Bradley-ish redo.

They could get the chubby guy who replaced Bradley.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ariza posted:

What's the last good Hellraiser? I remember watching one (probably a decade or more ago) that I liked, but I can't for the life of me figure out which one it was based on the posters and synopses.

Most of them aren't even "Hellraiser" movies; they're just whatever horror script is laying around the office that they then stick Pinhead in for a cameo to hang on to the rights.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Doug Jones.

Comedy answer: Matt Berry

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Apparently we're getting the IT: Chapter 2 trailer on Thurs. I was disappointed in the first film, so I can't say I'm looking forward to this.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

idek if this is a hot take or not but as an avid Stephen King reader none of his stories translate well to film, especially IT.

The only good Stephen King adaption imo was Kubrick's Shining, and even then I think they changed a lot from the book (I'm not sure about this bc I haven't read it). Maybe Misery too.

I think the kids in IT Chapter 1 were so underdeveloped as characters that you could've cut them all out except Bev and Bill and you wouldn't have lost anything. And that goes for the bullies too.

And I didn't care for their version of Pennywise, either. I think they went so over the top with the design trying to make look as creepy as possible, that it backfired and lost any sense of menace. Subtleness is not this director's strong suit, and subtleness is something you really need for something like IT to work.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pomp posted:

Any IT adaptation is better than the book because there isn't an underage gangbang in them

No, but the new movie came close by having them swimming around in their underwear, followed by the camera having a long gaze upon a fifteen year old girl laying about in her underwear. That was the creepiest thing about that film, not that clown.

I mean, seriously? Was it necessary for them to be in their tighty whiteys and not swimsuits?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The scene in question in IT (if I'm remembering correctly) starts off with them already "stripped down", daring each other to jump. Is there anyone here who would've said "Oh, they should've been in their underwear" if they had been shown wearing swim trunks?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

No. I just think it's a non-issue either way. Both are fine, cuz it's just kids swimming.

I've been a scuba instructor for 10 years. I've been a summer camp counselor for a couple of summers. If someone forgot swim trunks for the day, no one cares if they jump in with their briefs.

Now if I saw an adult watching kids swimming in their briefs with their hands in their pocket, I'd have a pretty big issue with that person.

Eh, I worked at a pool at my local complex for a couple of summers, and proper swimwear was required, no matter the age.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Burkion posted:

I think both versions of the Clown are good it just depends on what you want.

Curry Pennywise could pass for normal and lure in a child like Georgie, but also shows that the entity is clearly intelligent and malicious beyond compare.

New Pennywise is more bestial, a predator barely able to keep up the facade, that isn't as intelligent. But doesn't have to be, either.

I've always felt that the more normal something appears, the creepier it can be. Like how the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre looks like someone's home movies compared to the 2003 remake. Everything's shot in such of way to scream "This is a horror movie" that it loses its effectiveness, for me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

There have been TEN Children of the Corn movies.

F'n hell.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

mikeycp posted:

ok? they were in a river or lake or wherever, not a community pool

also it takes place 70 years ago

also norms change

1989 was 70 years ago?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

mikeycp posted:

this, since clearly i forgot that it took place in the 80's apparently

I wish The New Kids on the Block had been in the 50s, so I wouldn't have had to live through that time.

Oh god, wait a minute. It's a cycle, like Pennywise.

New Kids were in the late 80s, Nsync & Backstreet were in the late 90s. We're overdue for another resurgence of boys bands aren't we? That's what truly terrifying form Pennywise should take. Not a clown, or a werewolf, or a giant black bird, but a boy band.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And according to Wikipedia, they got their start in 2010. The cycle holds! What torment comes in 2020?

(Finds the letters BTS scrawled on a bathroom wall)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Senator Giroux posted:

I was doubly disappointed because I was hoping they’d update it and make it Jason Voorhees.

Looking up 1980s Warner Bros films (since they released IT), and couldn't really find any iconic horror characters from that time.

So IT'd either be a Gremlin, or Large Marge.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I think the core problem with Mike is that his story is basically that he stays behind to guard the thing and thus sacrifices everything while the rest go on to fame and fortune but by splitting the kid and adult parts entirely the movie ends up leaving Mike with absolutely nothing. And yeah, then they go and take away what should eventually be his role and give it to Ben, which just sucks entirely.

I hope the rumors about Mike for Part 2 aren't true: that due to his experiences, he becomes a drug addict, and that's how they learn about the history of Pennywise, through his drug induced dreams

Tart Kitty posted:

If nothing else the projector scene is one of the best horror sequences of the last ten years or so.

It was great at first, but again, the director didn't know when to stop, because it became hilarious when the giant Pennywise jumped from the film with his big pointy teeth.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 7, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Skarsgard was great in Castle Rock. It's too bad that show ended with the wettest of farts.

Don't remind me. It was the laziest ending they could give it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Honestly surprised King hasn't written a sequel to IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Box office alone isn't, but it's also 85% and 84% on Rotten Tomatoes and 69/100 on Metacritic. That's clearly a sign that what it did worked even if you personally disagree.

I was taught in the comic book thread that critics' opinions are meaningless!