Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nightbreed both is and is not horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fart City posted:

I got into a fun conversation with a buddy at work today, and though I might open it up to the Spook-A-Doodle thread:

What's your pick for a great scene in an otherwise terrible movie? You know what I mean; you're watching a horror flick, its pacing drags, it has terrible acting, zero budget. All that fun stuff. And then suddenly there's this one really engaging thing that pops up out of nowhere.

The whole discussion initially kicked off talking about the phone call scene from The Mothman Prophecies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INtbv3cd1BA

Most of the movie barely registers a pulse, but then there's this creepy little one-off scene right in the middle that feels like it was pulled from a completely different film.

I actually really love the scene early on where Richard Gere finds himself driving in some town in the middle of nowhere with no memory of how he got there or why. Extremely strong bad dream vibes. But yeah the movie as a whole never lives up to its best scenes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If anything the Lobster is enunciatecore

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The middle of Hereditary is the brilliant part, though. Then the third act is where it all falls apart and loses any possible claim to "best horror of 2018" in a world where Mandy exists.

i liked Mandy a fair amount but it was too derivative for me to be all that enthusiastic about it. the Cenobite thing kinda bugged me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

My biggest issue with Halloween 2018 was simply that Michael was shot too plainly. He never got any really good moments of appearing out of the darkness or being in the background but out of focus.

He was all Michael, no Shape. It was just very matter of fact about him being around

slight counterpoint: my favorite moments of the movie were the shots of him before he gets the mask back where he's this menacing, grey old man with no face

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

People who were weren't alive when Scream came out are able to vote now.

But if they haven't seen Scream they shouldn't be allowed to

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I actually didn't hate The Green Inferno but it's the only Roth I've seen. It just felt like a Troma movie to me and I kinda came of age on those.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Re: Let's Scare Jessica to Death, I guess it's not gonna be added to the Prime add-on channel so I think I'm just gonna pay to rent it over the weekend. I've been wanting to see it for too long.

when the gently caress is Shudder gonna get a PS4 app? I've been dying to watch The Reflecting Skin but it's not on amazon, not even to rent

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What is straight up the worst horror film you have ever seen

not even funny-bad or ironic bad, just straight up "gently caress this movie" bad

i'd have to rack my brain for a definitive answer but Slenderman is the worst in recent memory just because in addition to being bad in all the usual ways it was so underlit i genuinely couldn't tell what was going on for half of it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

As someone who was a teenager in the late 90s, it's hard for me to imagine the worst horror movie not being one of those soulless Scream imitators like Urban Legend or Valentine.

i don't think Urban Legend is even as bad as I Know What You Did Last Summer, and that's still pretty far from the basement imo

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

I'm thinking that, intent or not, Piranha 3D is so over the top that it's basically making fun of it. Also, the main misogynist's dick being eaten off is so pointed to be ridiculous.

That movie had some of the best CG deaths overall - they still managed to be pretty convincingly gory.

Piranha 3D is kind of a minor masterpiece imo

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'd love to see Dark Star become Carpenter's first entry in the Criterion collection. I think it would really be a perfect selection for them, an underseen and underappreciated early film by a big name director.

The trouble is I really don't know how much restoration of that title is possible, from what I understand the source elements are not in great shape at this point.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I find that analysis of Piranha 3D pretty spot on. I also like it for similar reasons as Showgirls: itís a genuine exploitation film but with a glossy modern sheen and a well above average budget and that isnít something you get too often. In terms of tone, itís not far off from the original Piranha, which is also a fun, hyper gory splatter film thatís smarter than it looks on the surface.

Also half-eaten Jerry OíConnell as the Girls Gone Wild guy gurgling out ĒWet...tee...shirts...Ē as his last words is just a hilarious gag.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Having watched the original The Hills Have Eyes recently, I'd say that Aja actually made a better movie. How's that for a hot take? :colbert:

Okay it was pretty lukewarm, the original isn't very good

This take was actually doing the rounds quite a bit when that movie came out. I donít agree, I think The Hills Have Eyes is Cravenís first real masterpiece, but the remake is very solid.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

I rewatched the remake after the original was on Joe Bob's Dinners of Death and I think I put them on par now. Michael Berryman is pretty hard to beat, but I think the stuff with the family is done better by Aja.

If you mean the ďgoodĒ family maybe, but one of my big complaints about the remake is how one dimensional it makes the cannibal family compared to the original, where they all have defined personalities beyond just ďlikes to kill and eat peopleĒ. But yeah the red state vs blue state dynamic between Ted Levine and his son in law in the remake is pretty fun (that stuff was already there to an extent in the original but the remake did a good job putting a modern twist on it)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think Vampire's Kiss is almost just a better version of American Psycho. I saw "almost" because they're going for different things -- American Psycho is a little more focused on the sick culture that lets someone as psychotic as Bateman pass as normal, while Vampire's Kiss is strictly about a pathetic, abusive man descending into total lunacy. But I think the commitment to making Loew incredibly lame is the better approach to this kind of character portrait, while American Psycho inhabits Bateman's own POV a little too much.

(And don't get me wrong, they're both excellent movies.)

Iím almost positive Christian Bale has said that Cage in Vampireís Kiss was a major influence on his Patrick Bateman performance

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Puppetmaster II and III have good stories and characters though, that complaint applies more to the original film and then probably the more recent sequels too(which I haven't seen).

Puppetmaster II has Toulon, and he's great fun to watch regardless of what the puppets are up to at any given moment.

Puppetmaster III has the period setting, which is great, and then it also has several human characters that are really good.

Yeah 2 and 3 are the good ones and all I really need is 2 personally, that feels like the perfection of the formula

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Funny Games for me is one of those movies that is definitely an Important Movie but in kind of a backhanded compliment type way

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Bad Taste is outstanding, it and Dead Alive are Jackson's best movies by orders of magnitude.

Iím a huge Heavenly Creatures partisan myself. Gave us Kate Winslet AND Melanie Lynskey!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mitoboru posted:

Hey horror thread please help me choose one to watch from my Lee/Price watchlist

The Masque of the Red Death
The Devil Rides Out
Witchfinder General
Theater Of Blood

Seems like I might not have to do any work tonight/tomorrow night for once so want to make the most of it watching something

All four are outstanding but if i'm goin' with my gut, Witchfinder General. But for sure watch 'em all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's funny is that going back through this stuff, the most consistently over the top guy is not Price but Peter Cushing. His Frankenstein is incredibly wry, bitchy and hammy.

fair but Cushing moreso than Price or Lee really knows how to underplay his reactions.

possibly my favorite actor of all time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Geoffrey Rush doing a counterfeit Vincent Price in the House On Haunted Hill remake is still my favorite performance of his

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i love that everyone has a different favorite Vincent Price movie. Even just picking among those four you got a range of responses.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I completely forgot until my recent rewatch about the part in The Tingler where Vincent Price drops acid and freaks out at a skeleton. Pure cinema.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nothing wrong with having range.

You wanna see Vincent Price really out of his usual zone, check out The Baron of Arizona. As far as I know, his only western. It's dope.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

Anybody here seen Confessions of an Opium Eater? It's a pretty wild Vincent Price vehicle from the early 60s that does a great job of imitating a fever dream.

No but Iíve been meaning to since I found out about it a month or two ago, I love De Quincey and the idea of casting Price as him in a thriller is insane

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Re: Vincent Price chat, I saw The Raven for the first time on the big screen last night. Dunno what to say other than what a wacky movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You 100% have to go with it because there's no way to guess what you might expect from a film adaptation of The Raven.

The guy who introduced it mentioned that a lot of the Price and Lorre scenes were improvised which makes total sense since those scenes feel like an elaborate "yes, and" routine. There's even a bit where they just have Peter Lorre try on a bunch of silly hats.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

It proves hats for mages are almost always awful looking.

The mage fight has always been my favorite. It shaped my idea of what a fight between two casters would be, and pretty much had me let down when I tabletopped D&D.

The costumes are absolutely one of the funniest parts of the movie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i know people have turned on him and maybe for valid reason, but i liked Bone Tomahawk a lot so i'm looking forward to this

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

Inferno's generally been considered one of the weaker Three Mothers films because it comes across a bit more rambly than anything. I like it but then I also liked Mother of Tears so my judgement might be questionable.

Mother of Tears is one of those ones that would probably be considered a perfectly fine throwback if it wasnít (a) by Argento and (b) the long awaited conclusion to a trilogy begun by the most acclaimed of all Italian horror movies

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

The worst sin committed by Inferno is trading Goblin for Keith Emerson

I recently rewatched The Church and forgot that the score is a three way collab between Goblin, Keith Emerson, and Philip Glass. I want it playing in my head all the time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I recommend combat sports for cardio, it does dreams for me.

Its must easier to stay motivated when the exercise bike is trying to kill you

What combat sport do you do out of curiosity? Iíve been thinking of trying Muay Thai

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BJJ and Judo

I have thought about Boxing or Muay Thai but I have learned that my primary motivator in life is to not get punched in the face

Yeah getting punched sucks (Iíve already gotten my teeth chipped so many times) but I have long arms and legs so I feel like Iíd be good at it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

John Carl Buechler too. Lot of horror guys kicking off lately. The past 4 years have been especially bad, Craven, Romero, Hooper, HG Lewis. Time sucks.

Time is undefeated, as they say

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Repo! The Genetic Opera is the greatest horror movie musical

Speaking as someone who only finally got around to it like two years ago, yíall need Phantom of the Paradise in your life

gey muckle mowser posted:

Phantom of the Paradise is obviously the best horror musical.

There we go

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

While horror musicals are dope I will always hard rep for nihilistic and ironic musicals like Pennies from Heaven or Dancer in the Dark

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Jukebox musicals are poison

Pennies from Heaven is amazing but isnít it technically a jukebox musical?

Edit: I can see Iím just in time for this conversation

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I donít think it looks very good but I didnít think Only Lovers Left Alive looked very good either and I was wrong about that one

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like Stuart Gordon could've succeeded at any type of movie he wanted to make so it's a shame he never really broke out of the horror box. Like Raimi, I think his skills are very transferable to other genres.

Actually Stuck seemed like a departure for him, but I haven't seen it. I should track that down at some point.

Stuck is good as hell. He had a mini resurgence doing grimy crime thrillers with that, Edmond and King of the Ants. Stuck is probably the best but theyíre all good.

As far as the idea of him doing a musical, he did get his start in theater (Edmond is a David Mamet adaptation and I think he was adjacent to that whole crew back in the day) (edit: I see I was kinda beaten to this one)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This all sounds inferior to Celebrity Deathmatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

What's with the posers in this thread (LMAO) talking about the original Pet Sematary not being scary. Unless you're like 19 that movie is scary as hell, just not in a fun way.

I agree that itís pretty scary although itís nothing compared to the book