Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Any word on the Halloween movie challenge this year? Just want to make sure I don't miss the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Local theatre is playing Silence of the Lambs next month, hell yeah. And on a night Iím not working too

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hereís a question: my partnerís favorite kind of movie is the haunted house, jump scare type of movie like Paranormal Activity and the Conjuring series. These are pretty much the only sub-genre that I donít enjoy, because I usually just find them boring and lacking any sort of ambition. Theyíre formulaic, budget friendly pictures that exploit the audienceís desire to be shocked by a surprise, they donít have to be interesting, yíknow?

But she has fun with them so Iíd like to watch at least one this season. Anyone have recommendations for some that may be good on their own merits?

If you havenít seen it Chapter 2 yet, Itís pretty much built exactly like a haunted house

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Basebf555 posted:

Sorry to say this but finally you've asked a dumb question. The entire multiverse is held up by the existence of Stephen King so goku would never harm him.

See the writer of enormous girth

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Good, maybe people will play it now

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

If anyone wants Resident Evil:The Final Chapter on Xbox here's a code
GR3DK-7PC3M-HQ9DX-M23GT-3KMRZ

they gave it to me for preordering Nemesis and I'm definitely not going to watch it.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Does Shudder through amazon prime have the same movies? I know it doesnít have live-streams but I can live without those. Want to resubscribe for the challenge but I find it kind of a pain through the app, Iíd rather use the amazon channel since I can access that right from my set top

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Ok awesome, I kept reading mixed things. Sounds like it has all of them but I may need to build a watchlist on the website as itís all accessible on the tv app, but not listed. I can live with that.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

If you recently moved to the suburbs why wouldn't you take the opportunity to watch The Burbs?

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Watched The Houses October Built last night, why do I remember people raving about it? Cool concept but man that sucked

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Maybe people were talking about how bad it was and I misremembered, I'll try Haunt next.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Is Devil All the Time a spook-a-doodle? I'm excited to check it out but I'll save it for the challenge if it is.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Making my list is making me feel like I've already seen all the good and so bad they're good horror movies, hopefully I hit some pleasant surprises.

I'm going to try an alphabet challenge again, anyone have anything for X? I saw X Man with the Xray eyes last year and can't find anything else this year

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

el oso posted:

Are the Universal monster movies streaming anywhere? They don't seem to be, looks like you have to rent/buy them all

If you have cable TCM will usually run all that kind of thing

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

married but discreet posted:

What was everyone's favourite newly discovered movie in the last tournament? For me it was Next of Kin, a 1982 Australian spookadoodle that goes seamlessly through several subgenres of horror before coming to an absolutely glorious ending.

I think One Cut of the Dead was definitely the standout last year. Although I watched Q for the first time and that was a hoot

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Lumbermouth posted:

I never would have watched Phantom of the Paradise without the challenge and that movieís amazing.

Oh hell yeah. I was born in Winnipeg and my parents were raised there, so it's basically a part of our culture. I'm glad other places are starting to recognize it

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Drunkboxer posted:

What is it about that movie that appeals so specifically to people from Winnipeg? I mean you guys were right of course, it's great, but why there?

I have no idea. It came out when my mom was like 12 and traumatized her, and just stuck with her from there.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Unless Iím doing something really wrong shudder and amazon prime shudder appear to have different content after all. Well, the same content, but the prime version definitely has less even online

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

The black horror discussion is really making me sad that Candyman got pushed back, it looks so good

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Also in case anyone didn't know Rob has an in character insta for his dog.

Pretty normal stuff but him sitting there typing this stuff up is a hilarious image

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Even was that was that a tight, I feel like you could only really name a handful of truly big name Horror hosts. People might have been lucky enough to have their own local thing, but I mean beyond that you've got Elvira, Svengoolie, Joe Bob, and then stuff like Crypt Keeper or Alfred Hitchcock Presents which are kind of a different Beast anyway. I feel like I can name more parodies of horror hosts than the actual people

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

sponges posted:

How are the Omen sequels?

It's been a while but 2 is just kind of more of the same and draws out the mythos, while 3 is bad but has an interesting concept and Sam Neil being crazy. I don't think I ever saw 4

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

The third Book of the Art title will be out any day now, just you wait and see!

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

I was going to recommend a book of short stories based around From Beyond called Resonator that one of my friends had a story in, but looks like itís not available anymore despite being a kindle book

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Tarnop posted:

It's £3.89 on Kindle in the UK, if this is the one you mean

Yeah that's the one. Weird, as far as I know it's Canadian (or at least north American) so not sure why it's available on Amazon UK and not here

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

I always felt what worked best with TCM was how random it all was. With Nightmare and Friday and really most slasher films, you have that faint hint of morality where the kids are at least somewhat at fault, or at least "sinners" who are getting punished. With Chainsaw they more or less just get caught in the middle of something they have nothing to do with, their worst crime is giving a hitchhiker a lift and it leads to a really bad day. It's that idea that terrible things could happen to anyone that makes it land so well.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Class3KillStorm posted:

1) Would Skynet have databases of knowledge about the Predators? In universe, Skynet is basically a networking of all of the American military computer systems (and possibly our Allies), but would that information be something that was uploaded to Skynet or have access to? I was always under the impression that Skynet only had access to military info/hardware, not civilian info; if the CIA or whoever is maintaining those databases of US info on the Predators keeps them away from DoD machines, it wouldn't know anything.

The military has a whole predator division according to the last movie

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

I donít know if Iíd call Freddy vs Jason good, but I sure love it.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

CommunityEdition posted:

Alright. Which survivor-who-escapes-their-movie-but-doesnít-defeat-the-monster would win in a fight?

Does the answer change if you do/donít allow the first 10 minutes of the sequel into consideration?

Sarah Connor no question

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

feedmyleg posted:

Do any Goosebumps episodes hold up to adult viewing?

If you're Canadian it's fun to see a bunch of well known actors as kids, but beyond that I've been watching some with my kid and they're not great.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Someone asked about Are You Afraid of the Dark earlier; I went looking for some episodes to watch with my kid and turns out it's all on YouTube. As in officially, full HD episodes. Boo!

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

feedmyleg posted:

Alright, need horror recommendations for a couple of 6 year old girls who love classic media. They adore Scooby-Doo and the OG Addams Family TV show and Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein, and their dad is asking me for more suggestions.

I recommended Bewitched since they already get into I Love Lucy, and I threw out the Hotel Transylvania flicks as a modern day Munsters riff.

Anyone have any good older picks for the younger set?

Awesome. I'll definitely be checking some out!

The new Goosebumps movies are pretty decent. All the animated Burton stuff of course.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

My F13 dream is it starting out the usual way but 10 minutes in thereís a zombie outbreak so youíve got a three sided thing going on

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Hollismason posted:

It's too bad we never got Ash vs Freddy vs Jason, it could have happened.

They did 2 comics on it and they were pretty decent

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

I watched Descent 2 just before the challenge started. I do not recommend that.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

married but discreet posted:

In what order should I watch the Invasions of the Body Snatchers?

Ideally, the original and then the 60s ones and then not bother anymore.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Yeah okay I guess by 61 I meant 1978 version because I'm suddenly young and think everything is ancient

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Basebf555 posted:

It's like a beef stew with some sort of dumplings or biscuit dough cooked directly on top in the same pot.

Yeah definitely is. My ex used to make a chicken pot pie soup like that, you basically make the stew and then dump the dumpling dough on top and boil it, good poo poo

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Splint Chesthair posted:

I think there was some talk about having Jane Levy guest-star as part of the plan for a fourth season of Ash vs. Evil Dead. Who knows if that was ever serious or just a ďwould be niceĒ scenario.

Edit: I had it backwards - Fede Alvarez wanted Ash to show up at the end of Evil Dead Ď13 as the setup for a sequel, but the TV show being in development quashed that idea.

Wasnít he in the stinger for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

like there's definitely a read of the film where the japanese and korean shamans are evil and working together (or, possibly, sequentially possessed by the same demon, with a bit in the middle where the japanese shaman isn't possessed at the time) and No Name really is a guardian spirit or angel -- and that was probably the original intention, given the director has said that he originally had a definite ending in mind and then decided to make it ambiguous -- but in the version of the film we actually got all three of the spiritual guides are implicated at one time or another and all are at odds with each other

Goes beyond an earlier vision, they filmed it explicitly

"In a deleted scene happening right after the conclusion of the story, the Japanese man is seen sitting on a bench by the roadside. He spots a family on the other side of the road and invites a child to him by offering her candies, but the mom picks up the kid before she manages to reach the stranger. A car driven by Il-gwang arrives and picks up the Japanese man before leaving. In the center of the road, Moo-myeong witness the car fading away in the horizon."