Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheKingslayer posted:

This makes me want a super cut of the one great scene from sucky horror movies.

What else you got in mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheKingslayer posted:

Uhhh. Stuff that jumps out without thinking too hard, the first kill in The Bye Bye Man is pretty sweet. The falling head scene in Street Trash. Head rip from Hatchet.

I actually forget the first kill in Bye Bye Man, is it the thing that happens In The Past?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Isn't this the third death in Antartica in a couple months?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yeah, I actually thought the movie got off to a rip roarin start.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheKingslayer posted:

Yes! Man that had my hopes really high for the rest of it. I was a fool.

I knew it would be balls but it has some fun stuff in it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

Is it any different than the opening of Dawn of the Dead? The whole “Woolley’s gone apeshit” scene might be the best save the cat of all time

The third act of The First Purge is the opening of Dawn of the Dead '78.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m not sure I really understand the whole killing zombies=murdering minorities connection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo1fNO6bx48

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Look at literally any gun magazine, and realize that's your "zombie apocalypse" audience.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

OldTennisCourt posted:

This is a serious question: What is everyone's dream/unique take on found footage they'd like to see?

Something like WNUF but the whole thing is commercials.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

OldTennisCourt posted:

This makes me want a movie composed entirely of the News Break segments from Robocop so loving bad

Exactly yeah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pomp posted:

Local 47 or whatever already does it

Local 58 is branching out...

Alhazred posted:

The movie is so bad that even Tim Curry looks miserable being in it:

Please stop eating my sesame cake.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blair Witch 2 rules.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

that scene is arguably the single freakiest moment in horror its NUTS, so well-done

See this is why I don't disagree with you on much.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Congo owns, sorry folks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shakma has got lasers in it doesn't it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

gey muckle mowser posted:

I watched Mausoleum (Vinegar Syndrome's black friday release) yesterday and it was pretty fun. Surprisingly good makeup and gore effects for a low budget film like this. The rest of the film has some bad acting and writing and some very dull cinematography, but the supernatural/creepy stuff is a blast and looks really good. I think it is aware of this and doesn't waste much time on the boring stuff. If you like schlock and cheesy '80s horror, I'd recommend it.

Whoa, they remastered Mausoleum? I gotta get on that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is it number of different cats thrown or number of times a cat is thrown? If the latter, The Tomb of Ligeia might win.

I love that movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Choco1980 posted:

There is some real :ironicat: hidden in this statement if you actually watch the film.

Yeah, lol.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

dude i watched the remake and i didnt even realize that

One is very obvious, the other is more of an Easter Egg.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Santa's Slay also has a couple of sequels.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I have always assumed the latter, which is an alternate explanation as to why she couldn't specify how old she was.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Oh man, have I got a series of videos for you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Not all of em are on YT but this one seems most relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW2GrG7Zk0U

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

That's ok, I feel like just pointing out some of other stuff going on is good enough to get you thinking.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheKingslayer posted:

Absolutely. And I buy his overall theory too, just not that specific bit. I want to turn around and watch it again now.

The Shining is really fascinating to me on a personal level because Nicholson doing the Jack Torrance character is spot on what my own father was like. Though he was merely physically abusive. Like, I would swear my dad watched The Shining and ripped off the performance for his own dark moments. Very chilling stuff.

The whininess and petulance of Jack Torrance is something that rings very true.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mikeycp posted:

prime DOES have Tokyo Videos of Horror 1-15 though which i think unironically own

but it also my very specific niche of japanese found footage with a budget of pocket change

I am waiting for them to extend me a Prime trial specifically to watch these, lol.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mikeycp posted:

only the first one is free with prime, but it's good esp the last story

gently caress it I'll probably just go for it. God knows I can't get enough of that stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Absolutely phenomenal trailer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

Just read the Cinefantastique article on The Fog, and I almost wish I hadn't because now I want to see John Carpenter's Total Recall.

Was the original casting of Dennis Quaid his idea?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I just found out there is a Henry, Portrait of A Serial Killer, Pt. 2

Apes-Ma posted:

So I found this podcast which goes into quite the depth about the themes and making of thread favourite "Lake Mungo". They are not strictly a horror podcast, but they have done similar deep dives into all kinds of horror fiction from John Carpenter's "Apocalypse Trilogy", Laird Barron, Nameless by Grant Morrison, M.R. James and the tradition of reading horror stories at Christmas eve, and more. It's worth a listen.

https://supercontextpodcast.libsyn.com/lake-mungo

Whoa, this owns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

There's no way for it to be good but the fact that I didnt know of it is troubling to me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Unsane does indeed own.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Huge thanks to whomever recommended that Supercontext podcast. I'm really digging the Lake Mungo episode and it made me interested enough to checkout Nameless which im also pretty happy with.

I think Nameless is whatever became of Morrison's unmade film script, Sinatoro.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

King Vidiot posted:

His show "Dennis Miller Live" was huge on HBO at the time, and HBO was of course the very channel that Tales From the Crypt was also on. I have to imagine that somebody at HBO insisted that Dennis Miller be put in the movie, no matter what the movie was or how awful of a loving actor he is.

Dennis Miller was the original Bill Maher.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

James Woods Fan posted:

Watched Noroi, The Borderlands (Last Prayer) and The Last Broadcast. Loved the first, really liked the second and enjoyed the third until the ending.

It just occured to me that the ending of The Last Broadcast is literally the "trust no one, not even yourself" meme.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Null of Undefined posted:

I watched Escape Room yesterday and I was surprised at how much I liked it. I knew it was going to be super campy, and it was, but it was also weirdly compelling. It was basically a hybrid between would you rather and saw. Specifically the Saw where it’s a group of people going room to room and there’s some sacrifice that has to be made, and people die 1 by 1.
The portrayals it made of PTSD were also really compelling, and nothing in the movie seems too obvious. It was a lot of fun and I hope there’s a sequel.

In not so great movies, I watched Project Europa yesterday, and it was really bad. It tried to toe the line between realistic and ridiculous, but the result of that was just that it was boring, and then stupid stuff happened.

I absolutely hated the trailer but I'm a sucker for those kinds of movies, so I'll give it a watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tolkien minority posted:

Scanners is actually really good all the way through

It really is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dude how can you forget:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

david_a posted:

are you guys not counting The Beyond because the entire head doesn't explode?

I feel like it deserves an honorable mention at least. The glob of brains flying forward when the head snaps back is pretty great

Yeah, Fulci's always good for some head (especially eye) trauma.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Almost Blue posted:

Fulci seems have a rule that is "if there's a sharp object, it must go through someone's head."

I go back on forth on whether or not I'm amused at how gratuitous it is, he'll stop an otherwise pretty normal movie just to throw that in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ramadu posted:

watching this now and i was NOT expecting john de lancie out of nowhere. my working theory is that Q set these dang fires

I always pop for Ernie Anastos.