Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Netflix has gotten extremely good at timing and marketing their movie releases. This being released in the dead week between Christmas and New Year’s when everyone is home was genius.

It also sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Cage is having a good couple of years. Mandy, Mom and Dad, Spider-Verse, now this. People are remembering how awesome he can be in the right movie

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’m fascinated by the late career Brando stuff. Reading off a diaper in Superman, showing up for Apocalypse Now super fat, the Dr. Moreau stuff - it’s all good.

His late career crazy rear end in a top hat phase was like 20 years long

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Bluedeanie posted:

There is a Netflix film up for besr picture.

Yes, which Netflix carefully screened in theaters ahead of VOD in LA/NY according to the rules for Oscar qualifications.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Watched The People Under the Stairs for the first time last night.

The first smash cut to Everett McGill running around in the gimp suit with a shotgun is the hardest I’ve laughed in some time.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
RIP Bruno Ganz. Probably the best cinematic Jonathan Harker.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I had just watched him in The House that Jack Built, where he was great as usual.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Fart City posted:

Honestly any reboot needs to reset its mindset when it comes to the cenboites. It’s easy to forget that the humans are the “real” antagonists of the first two films, with Pinhead and company being a hosed-up muse chorus along for the ride. I don’t need to see Pinhead actively slaughtering randos like in Hell On Earth again. Just lean into the surrealness and gothic brooding. Make the flick uncomfortable.

Tarsem Singh could probably deliver a pretty dope flick, actually.

One or the things a reboot of Hellraiser should do is restore the cenobites/Pinhead to being secondary antagonists. Part of the reason the first movie works so well is the focus on the Frank/Julia stuff and how the cenobites are used sparingly to great effect.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Basebf555 posted:

My picks for cenobites/Pinhead:

Mark Rylance

This made me imagine Mark Rylance doing Pinhead as the mumbly, put upon nerd voice he had in Ready Player One

It’s a good thought

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Hollismason posted:

drat Shudder just added Gremlins , Gremlins 2 and Army of Darkness.

I’ve never actually seen Gremlins 2 despite everyone telling me it’s better than the original. Gonna check that out.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Running the Evil Dead trilogy as a midnight marathon works perfectly, because it starts out grueling and gets less tense/funnier as you go on. Good stuff.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Lobster’s dialogue is essentially the opposite of Mumblecore. It’s arch and theatrical.

I mean if you need examples of Mumblecore just look at Mark Duplass’ IMDB because he and his brother have made a dozen movies in the style.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

alf_pogs posted:

the sound in that MIDSOMMAR trailer, hot drat

keen to check it out, hope ari aster isn't a massive poser

I mean if you’ve seen the short film he made about the son sexually abusing his own father... not a one-hit wonder, this guy!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah I agree. He really went in on campus activism in the Q&A at the premiere and it was seriously off-putting and made me like the film a whole lot less (I didn't really like it in the first place).

The tone of the movie comes off as “don’t even try to help people you son of a bitch” as opposed to “it’s conceited to assume all indigenous people / isolated societies want or need our help”.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CelticPredator posted:

The worst horror movie for me is the ANOES remake. It was offensively bad

I feel like that can’t be it because that movie is at least like, competently filmed. There aren’t editing mistakes and the movie is lit to where you can see everything.

There aware horror movies so lovely as to basically be unwatchable dreck where you can’t understand what the gently caress you’re even looking at.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Big Bob Pataki posted:

Give every horror franchise a saturday morning cartoon tie in imo.

No, make every horror franchise have at least one gay-as-hell entry like NOES2.

Give me gay puppet master, gay phantasm. Gay poltergeist. Shoot it in my veins.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mitoboru posted:

Hey horror thread please help me choose one to watch from my Lee/Price watchlist

The Masque of the Red Death
The Devil Rides Out
Witchfinder General
Theater Of Blood

Seems like I might not have to do any work tonight/tomorrow night for once so want to make the most of it watching something

I asked this awhile ago but couldn’t get a firm answer; what the hell is up with the US distribution rights to some of these Price movies? It’s like impossible to find Witchfinder General and Dr. Phibes without importing.

Scream Factory had a 3-volume Price collection, but the volume 1 is long out of print and contains those films.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Raven is a really fun hammy Price movie. The climax is basically Price and Karloff making jazz hands at each other for 10 minutes.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My favorite Price anecdote is that he was the guest of honor at the grand opening of my local mall in 1971

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Remember that X-files episode where Tony Todd has dream powers?

good poo poo

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

s.i.r.e. posted:

So Dragged Across Concrete:

- Too long, at 2 hours 45 minutes it takes god drat forever to get where it's going and there is a lot of boring poo poo. Zahler thinks he can write interesting dialog to shape the characters but they come off as flat.
- Not that much visceral gore that you'd expect especially after Bone Tomahawk and Brawl.
- Super racist trying to justify the actions of the Vaughn/Gibson's characters "means to an end" method of doing things, it's really dumb eye rolling.

The plot is Vaughn and Gibson are terrible, racist cops in a lovely part of town, they get filmed busting a drug dealer with excessive force and are put on unpaid vacations. Gibson's hard up on cash so he decides he's going to rob some high profile dude because he has a ton of cash. However, said dude is planning a large bank heist so an hour of the film is stakeouts trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on, then the bank heist happens and the cops try to heist the heist to get rich. It's trying to do too much, his worst film by far.

The Q&A with Vince Vaughn and Tory Kittles after the show was great though and Vaughn's pretty funny. The Q&A was more interesting than the film, I really liked the actors views on the story and characters. Overall, eh, I'll probably forget much about the film within a month.

I'm not sure how you can watch Dragged Across Concrete and think it's meant to justify the behavior of Gibson's character.

he is literally done in by his inability to trust a black person

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Lemme guess, he dies a weirdly heroic and dignified death as a result of it and everyone else is like "HE LIVED MORE THAN ANY OF US PUSSIES EVER COULD HAVE DREAMED"

gently caress S. Craig Zahler

e: HAHAHAHA HOLY gently caress, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS

Uh it's literally not

he survives the ordeal along with Tory Kittles character and they agree to split the robbery money. Gibson's character pulls a gun on Kittles because he so jaded/racist that he thinks Kittles is going to kill him and take the money or extort him later on.

Gibson is killed as Kittles indicates that he was never intending to betray Gibson. He is buried in a shallow grave alongside the criminals.

At the end, we see that Kittles still sent a portion of the money to Gibson's family, keeping his word

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 25, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Mel gets owned for being a dipshit and then the black guy still feels a reverential duty to fulfill the goal of the Superior White Man who literally tried to murder him

like, I get how y'all read it, but knowing Zahler's general issues I'm not super inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt here

e: honestly, if you take out Kittles still keeping his end of the bargain my problem with this evaporates, especially if it's made explicit that Kittles totally would have until Mel tried to murder him

It's made abundantly clear in the movie that Kittles character doesn't give a gently caress about Mel Gibson. He has sympathy for Gibson's family because his daughter has been assaulted and his wife has MS. It's explicit in the dialogue that the only reason he goes along with this is for them.

Kittles is the only main character in the movie that isn't a total piece of poo poo and it's telling that he survives and thrives, while everyone else died an ignoble death.

I'm not trying to excuse anything Zahler has done in his movies from a racial standpoint, but I think this movie has more to it than just racism = good.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The worst sin committed by Inferno is trading Goblin for Keith Emerson

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will never understand why we remake good movies instead of incomplete or imperfect films that deserve another shot.

I loved the Suspiria remake but imagine if that energy was put into remaking Inferno or Mother of Tears instead

It’s a lot harder to sell an audience on “hey remember that movie that kind of sucked? We’re giving it another shot” than it is on “hey here’s this thing you’ve heard of and maybe really like, come see it again.”

Edit: I think the times this works best is when you’re remaking a movie that’s largely forgotten by contemporaneous audiences. E.g. The Thing, The Fly, Little Shop of Horrors, Ocean’s 11

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 26, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Darko posted:

I haven't seen Reanimator in 20 years and didn't realize how it just straight up ripped off Psycho's score, haha. Also, it's greater than I remember.

It’s just the Psycho theme with 80s hi-hat drum sound.

But the Psycho theme plus 80s hi-hat drum sound is awesome.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah he’s going to be real good at that character. Pretty much the perfect casting to not piss off nerds.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I love Mark Hamil as much as the next nerd, but why replace Brad Dourif? I'm still going to see the movie, it just feels like a weird thing to do.

There’s a whole thing here, IP-wise that makes this weird. Like it’s a new Child’s Play movie but explicitly is not related to the whole Charles Lee Ray plot, as Don Mancini still owns that part of it and is doing his own TV show.

e:fb

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
They aren't direct sequels but you can draw a through-line from Night to Dawn to Day to Land.

E.g. you're going

There's been a zombie outbreak -> the Zombie outbreak is getting really bad and society is mid-collapse -> society has collapsed and zombies now outnumber humans -> it's a post-apocalyptic hellworld and there is a new society.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah I've always thought the idea that Ebert hated gore or horror itself was bunk.

He gave a great review to Re-Animator:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/re-animator-1985

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What's the next big thing for horror?

Revivals of 70s/80s/90s franchises. Everyone is going to be chasing that Halloween money. I think in the next 5 years you'll see new, theatrically released:

- Candyman (obviously)
- Child's Play (obviously)
- Friday the 13th
- Nightmare on Elm Street
- Texas Chain Saw (again, somehow)

I'll throw a curveball in there and say someone will do a new Scream too. Some of these will be reboots, others continuations like what Halloween did.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

M_Sinistrari posted:

That got a remake?

Weirdly also has Kiefer Sutherland in it, and they had originally said he was going to be the same character but then in the actual movie he's not and there's no reference to the original Flatliners. It's bizarre.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
https://twitter.com/scottderrickson/status/1118296992147312642?s=21

Maybe an actually theatrically released Hellraiser movie coming?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Drunkboxer posted:

I didn’t realize that guy directed Hellraiser Inferno.

Wow, me either. So this may just be representing that. He has some real stinkers (Inferno, the ‘08 version of the Day the Earth Stood Still), but Sinister is decent fun and Dr. Strange had some really cool visuals.

I would love a new, bigger budget Hellraiser movie with Dr. Strange type effects.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I can't put into words how lovely Diary of the Dead is. It's every bad found footage cliche crammed with all of the worst of late era Romero.

It’s up there with Michael Mann’s Miami Vice movie in the most disappointed I’ve ever been watching a movie I really wanted to like.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Untrustable posted:

From a page back, but if we're ranking Evil Dead stuff including media featuring The Cabin or the yellow Delta 88 then that means the best Evil Dead movie is...*checks notes*

Spider-Man 3?!

You're trash, Untrustable.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, it'd be great if they took a dig at phony "demonologists" with a couple based on the Warrens who are total charlatans, and then they encounter real ghosts for the first time and lose their poo poo.

Isn’t Venkman also sort of a charlatan? What with the fake ESP test and the talk show?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, i know he was in good movies and did a good job

but I still don't believe you

People went through this same thing with Leonardo DiCaprio once it became clear he was Good at Acting and wasn’t going anywhere. I still remember friends being like “The Departed seems cool but gently caress DICRAPRIO” and that was after he had been in a bunch of good poo poo already.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Hellraiser 2 is definitely kind of a mess. I like it but it’s a far, far weaker movie than the original by virtue of trying to do too much (among other things). It’s also missing Andrew Robinson in a few key places that would have made it feel more coherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Gerald’s Game is possibly the only movie I’ve seen that pretty much directly translates to film one of Stephen King’s notoriously wonky/rushed endings, and I find that particularly fascinating.