Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think I asked this in the recommendation thread a while back but I need a weirder and deeper level of expertise.

I'm looking for horror in the vein of Black Mountain Side, the Borderlands (aka Final Prayer), The Ritual, or -- even though I didn't like it very much, it's in the correct genre -- Annihilation. Which is to say, horror where an inexplicable alien force slowly and subtly intrudes on normal existence. Cosmic horror, but I'm not talking Fulci or Carpenter here. (Honestly The Ritual is kind of pushing it, to give you an idea of where I'm aiming.)

Besides what I've mentioned, what else is good on that front?
Echoing the Phase IV rec, that’s a great call.

Focusing more on the ‘subtle intrusion and alteration’ aspects of what you’re looking for, these would be my recommendations.
Harpya, a short film.
Harlequin (1980), though everyone in that presents as human.
Nomads (1986), not so much cosmic as (semi-)inexplicable.
Paranoia: 1.0.
Session 9.
Loft (2005).
Penumbra; Entrance; and The Forgotten, all from 2012.
Polednice, a.k.a., The Noonday Witch.
My House Walkthrough, a short film on Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I dunno, a McG Hellraiser entry would probably be above average for that series.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Franchescanado posted:

It's very fun. It's by Jack Hill, who is famous for the Pam Grier films Coffy and Foxy Brown, as well as the Corman exploitation films The Big Bird Cage and the Big Doll House (most famous of the women-in-prison movies). Spider Baby is probably his best/most fun besides the Grier films.

Has anyone seen Jack Hill's movie Isle of the Snake People, starring Boris Karloff?
#95 for me in last October's challenge. The snake-dancing is arguably the most entertaining part, and even that ends up being pretty forgettable.

Did you ever get those shirts in?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Blast Fantasto posted:

What are some lesser known good Italian genre movies from the 70s/80s?
Last Cannibal World, directed by Ruggero Deodato, is one of the more interesting Italian cannibal flicks. Predates Cannibal Holocaust by a few years, too, so you can watch it as sort of a test flight for Deodato.
Hatchet for the Honeymoon is a great Bava one that seems to not get mentioned too often.
Beast in Space is... something. Roughly a remake of La Bête, but in disco-flavored post-Star Wars space trappings. Unusual, at least, especially if you go with the full cut.
Nude for Satan is kind of like a lusty Italian fever dream of Hell, channeling Jess Franco (I think Redemption Films even picked it up for redistribution).
And The House of Clocks (Fulci!) is arguably not that great an experience while watching it, but does have some imagery that'll stick in memory for a long while.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

iirc the T-800 mostly uses his bare hands in the original
Punk: Heart pulled out
Walter Paisley, Sarah Connor, Sarah Connor: Shot
Matt: Thrown through a wall
Ginger: Shot
Dancers: Shot
Sergeant: Carred
Cop station: Shot

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

This is kinda off-topic, but I know that this thread's expertise is more suitable than the Action Movie thread. I'm on a cyberpunk kick lately, and unless you're willing to watch low-budget indie stuff, you run out of content pretty quickly. What's good out there? Amazon Prime has a ton of 80s/90s stuff.
Split (1989), yo.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Stink Billyums posted:

Bob Clark had such a strange career. Any other directors have him beat?
Arguably David DeCoteau. Low-budget horror, sci-fi sex comedies, gay occult softcore, five Christmas movies in one year, and talking animal movies.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Only in narrative structure, I think; protagonist meets someone or enters a situation, then there turns out to be a dark and dangerous side to them/it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

It is one of the few novels that has a pretty decent ending, in my view, so that's a shame. Except for That Part obviously.

Anyway, attention Scream Stream Fans, friend of the stream Choco is in the hospital right now, so please post positive things and send him your love and healing energy.

Aww, feel better soon, Choco!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
OK, but what about porcelain clown dolls?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Looking forward to finding out what people will say is the only reason to remember this pair of movies when the next adaptation rolls around.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1169715644444631043

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Or you can choose to frame it as a sequel to the Mick Garris mini-series, in which case odds are good that it’ll be a rise in quality.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

OldTennisCourt posted:

So general question: Has there ever been a horror film that, for whatever reason, made you actvly and honestly angry?

Mixture of disappointment and anger, but the end of Killer Pad (the second of the two movies directed by Robert Englund) hinges on the protagonist's rejection of the sexy Satan being predicated on (as his dog says through subtitles) "Dude, she has a dick!" Not gonna bother spoiler-tagging that lovely movie.

And Ulli Lommel's H.P. Lovecraft's The Tomb for having nothing to do with the alleged source material, and instead being an absolutely terrible Saw knock-off.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Petr posted:

Imagine being so proud of harassing a minimum wage worker because you went to a Whedon-written movie and got a Whedon-written movie that you bragged about it twice in a row on the internet.

Requesting a refund, or some other sort of compensation if they can't swing that, is hardly harassing a theater employee.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

TOOT BOOT posted:

I've never requested a refund on a movie. It's kinda like eating a whole meal and then saying 'That tasted like poo poo' and asking for your money back. Besides, if you go into a movie completely blind you really don't have anyone to blame but yourself.

If you wait until the actual end of the movie, sure (and you're a lot less likely to get a refund at that point). If you come out before the halfway point, it's more like 'Hey, I tried to get through this, thought it might just be an acquired taste, but I couldn't do it, sorry.' Generally, the theater won't have an issue offering you a pass to see another movie, because they'll still have your money from the original ticket, and if you're coming back to use the pass another day, you'll probably spend more on concessions.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I never understood why they went that route since movie websites don't last forever and what happens once the website's only available in parts on the Wayback Machine?

Was it not even included in the DVD/Bluray releases? That's amazingly short-sighted.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Nobody even mentions Candyman in the folk horror discussion? What a world.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
drat, that turned out great!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

If you guys like gore/splatter/exploitation/giallo/SOV stuff, there's a new streaming service called the Midnight Movie Society that has a HUGE selection of really great stuff, everything from 60s gore to 80s to modern underground stuff. Really impressed with the curation, it's got the quality of shudder but specifically for more extreme flicks. It's even got all the old sex poo poo like Emmanuelle which I'm not into but if u are you should sign up. I'm not affiliated with the company i just thought other ppl might be interested its 5 bucks a month
Visited their page and it had a still from a Bill Zebub movie as its background. Refreshed and it was Black Sun: The Nanking Massacre.
Sold!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The state of affairs at my local Wal-Mart.

Even with a new movie, Chucky's crammed in at the bottom. How does the doll mask from The Strangers have such staying power?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
My aim this year is to carve through the stacks of physical media I've been accumulating in anticipation of this month. It's too easy for me to justify getting a Mill Creek 10-movie pack by going 'Yeah, I'll watch... The White Gorilla for a notch! Sure I will!'.

I am looking forward to my partner's reactions to some first-time watches for her, though. Will Idle Hands have any charm to someone with no nostalgia for it?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The first hard-R-rated candy bar tie-in

Looking for Mr. Goodbar would like a word.

And my group recommendation for this year's challenge thread is One Dark Night.

Oh, and Vinegar Syndrome is doing a flash sale until noon tomorrow.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

It's just the November releases because Tammy and the T-Rex.

I feel like it would be cheating to throw down for the October challenge with the September/October drops, that's like 12 movies right there.

It stretches back all 11 pages (unless they just always have discounts running?). I had to exercise hard restraint, cut all the stuff with more than 500 copies left out of my cart.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Here’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while. What are movies you’d play on mute at a Halloween party? You know, films with strong visuals that don’t require narrative support to resonate, with a “Halloween” vibe.

House (dir. Obayashi) is the one that comes to mind immediately. Night of the Comet is a strong choice, as is Dawn of the Dead (dir. Romero).
Jason Takes Manhattan.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

feedmyleg posted:

Actually, thinking about my list, last year I saved a Biggie for Halloween itself with Return of the Living Dead. I'm having trouble deciding which to do this year. Here's the list:

Demon Knight, Bride of Frankenstein, The Abominable Dr. Phibes / Returns (double-feature), The Fog, Dawn of the Dead (1978) , Targets, Halloween III, Society, Tales from the Darkside, Deep Red, Night of the Comet, Hobo with a Shotgun, Brides of Dracula / Dracula has Risen from the Grave (double-feature), The Comedy of Terrors, Tales from the Hood, Castle Freak, The Reptile, Ganja and Hess, Gremlins 2 (have seen lots of parts), Carnival of Souls, Bride of Re-Animator, Dead Alive / Bad Taste (double-feature), The Gate, Body Melt, TerrorVision, Demons, Nightbreed, Tenebre, Blacula, I Walked with a Zombie

Out of those, what's both the most essential and the craziest?

I assume Bride of Frankenstein or Dawn of the Dead are the most essential so that seems most appropriate, but I also kinda feel like just going for as crazy as possible.

If you can, do a double feature of Blacula and Ganja and Hess.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

STAC Goat posted:

2) I have nearly all the years covered with at least one option I know will be available for me to watch but nothing for a few years and I'd appreciate some suggestions, especially if they happen to be easy to find online or some streaming service.

Don't have anything for your other blank years, but I'm almost surely gonna be watching Scared to Death (1947), so I'd dig having someone to commiserate with if it turns out to be a stinker. It's one of Bela Lugosi's later films, and Letterboxd's synopsis reference a "threatening dwarf," so odds are it will be, but it's there if you don't find anything else to fill in that year. Looks like it has multiple uploads on Youtube, too.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
So we've done it for North American directors, but who would be the Mount Rushmore of Italian horror directors?

Bava, Argento, Fulci, and... Deodato? D'Amato? Lenzi?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Null of Undefined posted:

The acid doesn’t ever start to kick in for anyone until a full hour in

But the paranoia and mistrust kicks in much earlier.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Man, for a movie with Donald Pleasence, Christopher Lee, and subterranean degenerates, Raw Meat was much duller than I went in expecting.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Megasabin posted:

Suggestions noted. It does indeed seem like a bad idea to show 5 movies in a row that have the same narrative. I've mixed it up. I did the pairings based on run length, but if there are any better thematic pairings let me know.

Nosferatu & Shadow of the Vampire
Universal & Thirst
Hammer & The Lost Boys
Bram Stoker's Dracula & Cronos
Nosferatu (1979) & Martin
Interview with a Vampire & Near Dark

What are people's opinion's on Salem's Lot? My one friend really wants me to add that.

What kind of audience are you playing to? Are they fine with slow-moving movies?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Doing the same thing, I've seen a couple of them but it's been a loooooong time but I do remember 3 being pretty good. Hoping this and going through the Howling movies doesn't make me want to kill myself.

I was planning on doing CotC 1-3. Might keep going, since I found the first six at a thrift shop and couldn't convince myself to pass them up. The Howling series would be a pretty good complement of a series that also has just the barest of threads connecting the sequels to the original.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone have recommendations for slightly below-radar horror anthologies? There’s a billion of these on Tubi and I don’t know which to watch.
If you're drawing from Tubi's pool, avoid 60 Seconds to Die.
On the other side, The Uncanny is a fairly fun cat-themed anthology which seems kind of underknown, despite featuring Peter Cushing in the framing segments.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fun fact:
In Abrshamic religions God moulded Adam from clay. Which is where the concept of golems comes from. However in Norse mythology the first humans, Askur and Embla, were logs of driftwood that Odin and his brothers found washed up on the shore and breathed life into. Because of this the Old Norse (and modern Icelandic/Faroese) word for ghost is "Draugur" a word that originally meant "tree", a ghost (in the Norse sense) being a undead corpse and thus metaphorically a wooden log.

A lot of Twin Peaks just clicked into place.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Are there any movies that pit a family invader against an evil genius kid? Basically, The Stepfather vs. The Good Son?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Franchescanado posted:

The major intention of the challenge is to celebrate the horror genre in all it's diversity, which includes thrillers and also Halloween movies. The other intention is to get people to watch things that are new to thing or are doing interesting things with various genres. The Nightingale is listed as a thriller on Letterboxd and imdb, and it's on "best horror" and "best thriller" lists of 2019 already.

Hey Fran, out of Blue Velvet, Fire Walk with Me, Lost Highway, and Mulholland Drive, would you stamp any of those as not qualifying for the October thread? Wanna introduce a friend to more Lynch, might postpone until November if they don't fit.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Franchescanado posted:

Those all work for me, and have been used for the challenge before.

Solid. Thanks for the kid v. replacement parent suggestions, everyone!

Watched The Prowler (1981) last night. Can't help but think I would have liked it more had I a) not seen My Bloody Valentine before, and b) not watched Deathdream earlier in the week. Kind of felt like a pale synthesis of the two, unfortunately. And I got a little frustrated that with the pool kill, where they keep giving a tight shot of flailing around in front of the pool light, never zoomed back to show the shadows through the surface of the water.
Savini's gore was good when it showed up, though a good third of the Wikipedia page was focused on how much had been cut out and deemed irrecoverable. Allegedly Paramount 'had no interest in offering an uncut version,' which sounds sort of bullshit, especially with other companies picking up distribution on its reissues.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Earliest horror I can remember watching includes Ghostbusters, Arachnophobia, Arcade, the Saturday the 14th movies, The Witches (the one based on Roald Dahl's book), and the last fifteen minutes of Jason Takes Manhattan, which someone in the family had recorded from PPV. Having so much of my early horror exposure be horror/comedy probably did a lot to foster my love of it.
Ooh, and Leviathan. Seeing that one before Alien or The Thing makes it a lot easier to respect.

On the 'horror elements, but not horror' side, respectful nods to Addams Family, Brave Little Toaster, Future Kick, Terminator 2, and the live-action The Guyver.

Franchescanado posted:

edit: I also had Disney's Halloween Treat on VHS, which I would have seen before IT but after Ernest Scared Stupid. It's probably what made me love Halloween at such a young age.
Disney's Halloween Treat (can't type out that title without hearing the song) was great. I'd put that on any time of year.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

who would win in a fight stephen king or goku

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1691452/

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

STAC Goat posted:

Perfect. In this challenge there's always a couple of years when I'm watching a movie solely because "this is the first movie from that year I could find." So any good hook like "Bela Lugosi's later films" works for me. Thanks. Let me know when you intend to watch it and we can try and synch up.

My watching arrangement is pretty fluid, so just say hey when you're ready to knock that one out, and I'll line it up.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Have you seen Wild Zero? I think you'd dig it. Also Mikadroid Robokill Beneath Disco Club Layla. For more slow-burn stuff, there's Kwaidan and Pulse, and in animation, there's the Violence Jack series, Demon City Shinjuku, and Hell Target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Yeah, if there weren't a 'no found footage' request, Noroi was gonna be my first rec.