Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Happy Death Day 2 U is loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well, there's The Guest.

You know, I want to say she does fall asleep but thinking about it, she might not have. So it might be that as long as she doesn't die she doesn't go back.

She falls asleep but does in her sleep due to poison.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm positive that there's an R rated cut of Scary Stories somewhere that's a much better movie and I hope we get it at some point. From the stuff on the effects I've seen there's definitely more stuff with the toeless corpse that was filmed and isn't in there, and the end of the sequence feels like a reshoot.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

If they ended up with an R adapting those stories and had to scale it down they hosed up somewhere because despite the creepy artwork of the book the actual tales are pretty tame.

As Untreatable already said, not really. Even the stuff they adapted here is pretty grisly, if bloodless. They don't do a single clear close-up of the toeless corpse, for instance, despite having made a perfect recreation of it.

Also apparently the original writer got fired and replaced at some point, so the explains a lot of... Weird poo poo in it. Lines that come out of nowhere only to set stuff up, the draft dodger thing, a year before the draft even went into effect, with the moral being if you don't go to Vietnam to die you're a coward?? And various other things the feel hacked together.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but none of that poo poo is described in any detail. If it was it would've been totally inappropriate for kids.

Itís one of the most banned books in recent history for this very reason.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

WeaponX posted:

Iím not trying to start poo poo but honestly if you think that Eraserhead is irrefutably worthy of discussion but Plan 9 is not that is just a pessimistic and lame way to look at a genre that is limitless. Just because something is made by David Lynch doesnít mean itís more analytical than something made by Ed Wood (David Lynch is my favorite director ever) Also confusing cause Eraserhead is pretty straight forward

Ed Wood made movies that are totally worth discussing. Plan 9 is not one of them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sponges posted:

Sure it is, as people have been doing just that.

Just because people are doing something doesn't mean there's value in doing it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I was finally able to snag a copy of Arrows creepshow 2 release. Why the hell did they redesign the creep from the first movie for this one? I get he's closer to the original crypt keeper look here, but her looked way cooler in the first movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

The skeleton guy in the first one isn't much of a host. He's just a skellington. I think the Creep looks pretty cool in 2 when he's live action, but the animated segments look so awful that it doesn't convey the character very well.

They should have made skeleton man talk.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

NBC is actually a Thanksgiving movie. The best time to watch it is after Halloween before the first snowfall.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: they're predicting snow flurries on Halloween night here

Then watch it at midnight, boom, done.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

weekly font posted:

Those creatures sucked and hosed!

I'm guessing it's cause it's anime but holy poo poo Perfect Blue is a hell of a spook-a-doodle. Probably a great double feature with Mulholland Drive.

It and Black Swan are a really good double feature.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

All right you dinguses, give me a horror movie to watch.

Warlock.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If a movie is under an hour long I refuse to call it a feature. It's a short. In fact, under 75 minutes is a short even if they lied to you about it being a feature.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Southbound's alright, but feels like a whole film of second tier V/H/S shorts.
Frankenstein is seventy minutes you monster.
Hm.

James Wale made a great short and followed it up with a great movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I think you mean CBS All Access. They decided to start in the middle and flashback to the pandemic but swear that isn't because of the real life pandemic.

It actually makes narrative sense when you get to the end of the first episode, and they aren't shy about showing the pandemic. The time jumps seem to be in service of how they're doing Flagg.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I don't hate it in theory. I don't have All Access so I'll probably wait until its all there. But like I get that you can't beat the Fear the Reaper opening and like a lot of King stories The Stand is very long and not super balanced. So trying to balance things COULD work I think. It will hurt some things but that's kind of the nature of adaptions, especially King adaptions. I'm reserving judgment.

It seems like each episode is going to focus on a character or two, with the others being there but not the main focus. The first episode was that weird Elliott Rodger mother fucker who's name I can never remember and the main guy who's name I can also never remember played by James Marsden, and it worked pretty well for it. It may all fall apart though as it goes on.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gejimayu posted:

Watching The Dead Dont Die. Having only seen Coffee and Cigarettes by Jarmusch before (and it was like 15 years ago), is this guy like completely up his own rear end, or what?

Dead Don't Die is really funny.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

My friend and I were talking about this movie recently and our conclusion was that Jarmusch was just goofin around. It just doesnít seem like they were taking it seriously so it helps to watch it through that lens. Like they took all that time setting up Selena Gomez and her friends and then they just die off screen, I mean wtf can that be if itís not the movie loving with us?

This is 100% what that movie is. How do you watch a movie where Tilda Swinton is a sword master coroner who at the end of the movie is revealed to be an alien and beamed up to a spaceship, and think "yes this man is being serious and this is pretentious?"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

i dont think hes being serious, I just find the humor pretentious.

Which is also weird because OLLA is hilarious in a pitch black way. I think TDDD is just too self aware and kinda smug in how funny it thinks its being.

I didn't get that impression at all. Dead Don't Die just felt like he convinced the studio to give him ten million dollars to gently caress around with his buddy bill Murray for a week.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

I loved Cabin in the Woods but I also havenít rewatched it since I stopped liking Whedon and I canít imagine Iíd enjoy it as much nowadays. Same reason I havenít seen Dogma since I was a teenager

Goddard tempered Whedons worst poo poo, thankfully.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cabin in the Woods was also on the shelf for several years before release. What it was saying was more apt when it was made than when it came out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Cabin in the Woods was released in 2012, so by then the low point of the 2000s was past. Regardless of what the big studios were doing, the fact is that the genre saw an influx of new talent and fresh ideas around 2010ish and the decade that followed was much more indicative of that than any point Cabin in the Woods was trying to make.

Cabin in the Woods was in the can for several years before the studio released it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Several Goblins posted:

So, I've got a weird question. A co-worker gave me this beanie as a Christmas gift. I dig it and it's cozy, but...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KZMWLVF?pf_rd_r=5KBPC71ND4HC0FWXSNCM&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8

Who the gently caress is that under Michael Myers and between Freddy/Jason? It's like Deadpool, Pumpkinhead and Sam from Trick R Treat had a baby. I feel like I'm missing something obvious or it's some mascot that is somehow attached to whatever company made this.

Or some just...made up nothing? Which also seems bizarre, but I genuinely have no clue.

It's almost certainly a bootleg so I wouldn't be surprised if they lifted art of some deviant art guys slasher movie OC.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If you took all the ft13 stuff out of Jason goes to hell and it was its own thing, I think it would probably be remembered as an okay slasher movie, unique mainly for when it came out. With the FT13 stuff it's really loving trash though. Nothing you want out of one of those movies, but also nothing really interesting or subversive enough to justify the radical changes to the formula that people wanted.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I do think the idea of Jason's father being this mysterious, possibly supernatural person is pretty interesting, and if I was in charge of the series, is something I would do something with if I was in charge. That's the one really interesting idea Goes to Hell introduced.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jason's dad should be an avatar of Nyarlathotep. His birth defects are because he's only half human. This is why he can't die. It's also why he stays at Crystal Lake, which is itself a sacred site and he brings the coming of the great old ones closer with each kill. This should never be stated outright, but implied in the background.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Jason X owns

Has probably the best death in the whole series

I would say the two best, even.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dorium posted:

the face smash and the space vacuum deaths *chefkiss*

I was gonna say the face smash and the beating to death of one person with another person.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I like the idea of he design in goes to hell because it's meant to reflect all the damage he's taken in the previous movies. But in practice it looks kinda like poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

The problem is that the films actually have been pretty consistent with that over the years. He has the little notch from the ax in Part 3 all the way to Goes to Hell. And in Part VII, he has the part of the face plate destroyed by the motorboat in VI. Part VIII follows through with him having lost his mask to Tina. If anything Jason Goes to Hell Jason kind of retcons him being a frankenzombie skeleton man by giving him flesh toned skin again. I also don't like the skullet or the belt. The whole thing has a pretty dorky silhouette. I'm not a Hodder lover, but they do a poor job of really using his frame.

I figured the change in skin tone was from the toxic waste bath at the end of 8.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Is there some 1800s horror TV show that had a trailer come out in the past few months? It's possible I'm thinking of a movie. Either way it's driving me crazyówhat might I be thinking of?

The Alienist?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Possession, Amer, and that difficult fourth spot is currently occupied by All That Heaven Allows, which is a Douglas Sirk/Rock Hudson/Jane Wyman melodrama. Horror wise though I think it's a tie between Alucarda and Neon Demon. I definitely have a thing for emotionally disturbed female leads

e: Speaking of which, if anyone has any emotionally disturbed female lead recs, I will love you forever

Not straight horror, but Ingrid Goes West.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Witchfinder General being considered folk horror doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

It's about witches.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

5 is the "best" one after 2 because it's a fine straight to video supernatural detective movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jedit posted:

I've only seen Hellbound once, but I had thought that they had to be persuaded not to take the girl who opened the box for Channard.

The other cenobites want to take her and Pinhead is like "no, she might have solved the box but the desire wasn't there" and go for Kristy instead I believe.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

We still donít know how Carpenters Myers ended up like he is so heís fine.

Zombies is his own thing. The mystery wasnít the point

I mean if you take the original continuity, Carpenter's Michael was like that cause he was some kind of weird demon that cult worshipped. Only the recent retcon sequel removed that. Unless you're saying nothing after the first one counts as Carpenter's Michael.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

No thatís about right.

I was just pointing out that Zombies myers is itís own thing. It wasnít aboht the mystery. The horror wasnít the unknown, it was the known...or whatever.

Anyway his myers is the scariest one because heís so big.

Oh yeah absolutely, I was just being pedantic really.

I like the part in two where he fucks up the guy who works at the strip club.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dark Souls is the way all lore should be presented. Give the audience a bunch of interesting ideas and 75% of how those ideas connect. Let them fill in the remaining 25%. There is a correct answer, but never tell anyone what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alien 1-3 are good, but only if you watch the work print version of 3. Anyone who says Resurrection is anything but unwatchable garbage is not to be trusted. It's maybe the absolute worst bottom of the barrel bullshit Whedon ever wrote, and the group of French weirdos, which included pitoff, future director of Catwoman, were absolutely the wrong choice. Terrible. Just terrible. The only other thing in the franchise as bad is AvP2. AvP 1 also sucks. Your mileage will vary on Prometheus and Covenant, they're very divisive. I'm not a big Prometheus guy but I liked Covenant well enough and hope he does a third to finish it off.