Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean yea his politics are repugnant but I don't think that has much to do with the mistakes he's made in taking roles that don't fit his talents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I think it might. He went from playing likable goof balls to being badass buff action heroes who protect the family and women from danger. It was probably an accident but I look at that new movie he’s doing where people get drafted to fight aliens and he’s gotta protect his family and idk.

He probably won’t ever be an Andy Dwyer again.

I just think that's where the money is. Being the lead in a big blockbuster type action movie is always going to pay more than whatever else he may be offered, and not every role is going to be as perfectly suited for him as Starlord. Regardless of politics I have a hard time imagining that his agent is telling him to turn down something like Jurassic World or a big budget sci-fi starring Jennifer Lawrence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Social media presence is a totally different thing, I agree he probably tightened that up and became much less funny on there because of his higher profile and also the poo poo he took when it initially came out that he's a chud.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

Given the average Hollywood producer's conduct, that probably doesn't limit your options too much.

Only watch Roger Corman movies. There you go, conversation has come full circle.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

lol imagine going this hard on behalf of Chris Pratt

I'm more offended by someone apparently lurking the thread that hard but never posting. We always need more posts!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

My mind must have just glossed over "how about the film Jeepers Creepers" haha

Ah yes, a film that as we all know is celebrated and vigorously defended in this thread, Jeepers Creepers.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Wasn't that the old thread motto? Everyone's allowed to have one bad opinion.

Mine is that 28 Days Later isn't all that good.

Bad opinions are allowed but I don't really know what that's like, all of my opinions are good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's a shame though because there's a lot of shots in the first act of 28 Days Later that would be absolutely beautiful to see in 1080p or 4k if it wasn't held back by the early digital photography.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You're not wrong it's just not an aesthetic that I personally like. Never did, even when the movie came out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There was a practical purpose for using those cameras of course, they only had very limited windows of time when the streets were going to be closed down for shooting, and full camera rigs weren't practical for that. That doesn't mean Boyle wasn't thinking about the format he was shooting in and using it to it's upmost creativity though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Clearly you haven't seen my posts in the Bracketology thread.

You have a persecution complex about that. It's actually nice to not have everyone agree on everything all the time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's true though that legitimately iconic protagonists are somewhat rare in slasher movies, but maybe not horror in general.

Sydney Prescott is an example of a good one, and she's a big reason why the Scream series is unique.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Class3KillStorm posted:

Freddy vs. Jason is both the best Friday the 13th film and the best Nightmare on Elm Street film.

I don't agree with this but still, if I were including Freddy vs. Jason in the rankings of each franchise it would be impressively high for a fan service film directed by a guy who'd never seen a Freddy or Jason movie before. For me it's probably like, the 5th best Friday film and the maybe 4th NOES film. Not bad!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't mind the lack of gore because the whole Jason vs. Carrie scenario is too good. And it has maybe my favorite Jason design of the whole series.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had a weird experience with the Friday the 13th series growing up where I really only ever saw them on cable t.v., so I grew up watching the edited for t.v. versions. And they still scared the crap out of me, so oddly enough the series has never been about the kills or the gore for me. In fact, my first ever experience with a machete wielding guy in a hockey mask was a yearly Halloween hay ride(the dude would jump out of the cornfield as you were going by) that my family would go to so really watching Friday the 13th is about the nostalgia of those times.

So yea, I'm the rare person that isn't into Friday the 13th for the gore, it's not a major factor for me one way or the other. I can still appreciate a great kill as much as the next guy of course.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gore is great, don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to sound like I'm all sophisticated and don't care about gore. But it's sort of strange that I never really felt a strong connection between gore and Friday the 13th, just because that's always what the series has been most known for.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't think Covenant is bad but I do think Prometheus is clearly better. Prometheus is a movie I've seen like ten times and I can still watch it and it flies by, whereas Covenant just doesn't flow nearly as well and I get bored with it by the last act.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Question time - let's dive into the Apocrypha. Which proposed but unmade version of a horror movie do you most wish that you could see?

This question was inspired by recent conversations, as I'd be very curious to watch Alien with its mooted original casting of Meryl Streep as Ripley and Harrison Ford as Dallas.

There's another one in the Alien series, the pre-production version of Alien 3 where it was gonna be about technophobic monks living on a world made completely out of wood. Fans have always wanted to see that because obviously Alien 3 turned out to be very divisive.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm similar to STAC Goat in that I have an issue with skipping movies when there's continuity involved. And the F&F series definitely has a whole bunch of ongoing storylines and character arcs, they really revel in that stuff. Characters constantly popping up again in later sequels, villains turning to heroes, old grudges from previous films, etc. So I don't recommend skipping any of them but I understand why some people might not care about that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It really is a fun ride to see them go from heists involving shipments of DVD players to eventually jumping a nuclear submarine. Like, that sounds stupid but the gradual escalation is actually a really satisfying experience.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
By the way Kvlt!, there's an action movie thread and it's very similar to this one where it's really laid back and nobody gets too serious about opinions and it's basically just shootin the poo poo about action movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I mean there are little landmine subjects like that no matter where you go in CineD. But overall it's a very friendly group of posters, and obviously some of them also post here.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Explosivo12 posted:

I never thought I’d see the day where the horror thread discusses at length the F&F franchise. You guys are posers and this thread is dead.

You have four total posts in the thread including this one

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anyway we'll be the judge of who is a poser when you tell us what your favorite horror movie is. You never answered that one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Explosivo12 posted:

That’s easy. Night of the Demon.
The Devil Rides Out is also up there as is Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte. Hush, hush was my first ever horror film so that’s a bit of nostalgia.

This is.....acceptable.

Post more about horror movies you like instead of popping in to complain, tia.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

At what point was James Wan in entertainment?

Saw was really a unique and memorable theater experience on opening weekend. Can't take that away from him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

Ghoulies 2 has a toilet death

It better, otherwise it's false advertising.

I should watch more of the Ghoulies series, I only saw the first one but I did enjoy it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe my statement was an exaggeration, but I'm pretty sure that there are more victims killed by Jason while doing things other than having sex (or just having had sex) than there are killed while having sex. Like I could imagine that Banana Hippie is a virgin but she still gets killed by Jason. Shelly is definitely a virgin and we all know what happened to him.

And I mean the character, the actor Larry Zerner fucks.

Oh for sure, that has to be the case just because there's usually only like one couple who gets killed while having sex per movie. And he kills like 10+ people per movie so it's no contest.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea you definitely have to include just before or just after sex because that's really where most of the kills happen. A lot of them are like oh we're about to have sex but wait what was that noise outside, let me go check it out. Or like the one in Zombie's Halloween 2 where that poor sap who was about to get laid had to take a piss first.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Would you rather fight a Predator sized Ghoulie or 100 Ghoulie sized Predators?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Can you guys point me towards good sources for information about horror movies? Like, primary sources about their production, scholarly work about them, reviews that were written of them at the time of release, etc.

I'm looking for information specifically about The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, which I see has had some books written about it, but if there are any peer-reviewed journals of horror movie scholarship, that would be good too.

Joe Bob did a pretty extensive article about TCM about 15 years ago: https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/they-came-they-sawed/

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Shame what's happened to this once great thread, now it's full of posers who talk about Wes Anderson.

I love Wes Anderson. I even love Darjeeling Limited

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea City of the Dead is a surprisingly obscure film. You'd think it would have a higher profile for a Christopher Lee film that's just packed with spooky atmosphere. I think there was a blu ray release a few years back.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea that looks extremely good. It seems like the sort of thing that could've been directed by Cosmatos.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snuff Melange posted:

And despite the premise, "A small research team went down below the surface to find out what secret the world's deepest borehole was hiding. What they have found turned out to be the greatest threat in history. And the future of humanity is in their hands", there's less cool deep earth stuff than I hoped for, and the conflict stems from a horror cliche I don't find all that interest (spoilers so won't say what) -- although they do at least put some minor interesting twists on said cliche.

Let me guess, it's an (spoiler tagged just in case I'm right)ancient bacteria that infects the crew and turns them into rage zombies

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well I would definitely give the director credit for marketing ability because tons of lovely Direct-to-DVD style horror movies get made every year. But this one will probably garner a ton of extra attention and maybe if they're lucky it'll even become a new hot-button topic on right-wing news outlets and such. Then you're raking in money on a level rarely seen for shoddy low-effort productions like this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

married but discreet posted:

Ah, Monstrum is the other movie! Saw it on Shudder a while ago.

Oooh yea that's a good one. Very Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Brotherhood of the Wolf is a weird but good movie. Fits in that niche of action horror that's actually really good.

When I watched it recently for the first time in a bunch of years, I noticed that there's a lot of design stuff that was clearly taken from it to use in Bloodborne. There's even a part at the end where the villain uses a Bloodborne style weapon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Took me a second.

Serious answer though for ant based horror: Honey I Shrunk the Kids

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 24, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

EXCUSE ME. That Ant was a hero. I cried as a kid when Antie dies saving them from the other bug.

Well it was scary at first wasn't it? I dunno I haven't seen the movie in like 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Why does Tony Todd keep picking up the Candyman mantle even though the torch was clearly passed to Virginia Madsen in the original?

Am I the only one who gives a poo poo about the rules?

Has the whole world gone crazy?

Yea it's definitely something that hurts Farewell to the Flesh, it totally discounts the amazing ending of the first film.

Anyway I still have no idea if he's actually in this new movie or not. He's been listed in the cast on the wikipedia page for the film since the beginning, but I've never actually seen real confirmation that he's in it. I'm wondering if maybe his voice is used in in the movie but just like, the old recordings of his lines from the original films.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 25, 2021