Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm on the fence about that one since I know without question that I'll end up going on a book hunt spree tracking down paperbacks. Oh Leisure horror books, you ate up so many of my paychecks back in the day....

Leisure Horror shutting down was a sad sad day, just getting an endless supply of Richard Laymon, Jack Ketchum and Brian Keene books from them made it worth the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Concerning Eli Roth's History of Horror, outside of the zombie episode I honestly don't remember much Chris Hardwicke being involved. The other episodes feature cool people like Stephen King and I honestly think Eli wasn't that bad. Obviously if you're knowledgeable on the subject this isn't gonna give you much you didn't know but it really wasn't that bad overall.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

What's funny about Geoffrey Rush doing Price in the Haunted Hill remake is that Rush was actually trying to do John Waters.

As for my favorite Price, it's either Masque or The Mad Magician. He's good in the non-Horror stuff as well like Dragonwyck and Laura.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Darko posted:

The Pet Sematary book was entirely about the effects that loss has on a person and how a person would do anything to get a loved one back, no matter what the cost. The horror was all about seeing the father's self destructive behavior and knowing you would do the same if it was your child/wife because "maybe it will work better this time" is just enough hope to try again and again, despite all reasoning to the contrary.

From what I hear about this version, it is...not that.

But nobody is talking about the amazingly wtf Pet Sematary 2 with the wonderful Clancy Brown.

Clancy Brown is an American treasure and for a pretty wacky and dumb sequel, he is actually pretty loving scary in it.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Ahem, according to my scientifically accurate rankings, the Friday 13th remake is the 5th best film of the franchise.

https://letterboxd.com/vincentprice/list/friday-the-13th-ranked/

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

https://letterboxd.com/vincentprice/list/halloween-ranked/

Just like my Friday the 13th rankings (https://letterboxd.com/vincentprice/list/friday-the-13th-ranked/), it is scientifically accurate after hours and hours of intense research.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Top ten over the last 10 years

Drag Me to Hell
Tucker and Dale vs Evil
Green Room
Krampus
Get Out
It
Halloween
The Collector
Detention
You're Next

in no particular order although if I had to, Drag Me would most likely be #1.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

ooh i forgot about the collector thats an excellent choice. The sequel is great too!

The sequel would definitely make my honorable mentions list, would love to get a third one, too.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The Shudder app on Xbox has worked fairly well for me, only problems I've had is when it gets overloaded during Joe Bob's stuff and the times when my Internet decides to poo poo the bed.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Tart Kitty posted:

My standard metric for horror is be anything, but don't be boring. As long as its not a slog, I'll give it a shot. Even if it's utter dreck.

This is mine for all movies, not just Horror. The worst thing a movie can be is boring.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

I'll never forgive the band that birthed Sweet Home Alabama.

But The Devil's Rejects has a few songs from Terry Reid, which are fuckin amazing.

That movie introduced me to Terry Reid and I will be forever thankful for that.

All of Rob Zombie's movies have killer soundtracks, he does them as good as Tarantino does.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Hell, I love Rob Zombie's films (I even like 31) and I love his music even more but...a better writer than Tarantino? Eeehhhhh, I don't know, Jackie Brown alone makes me think otherwise.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm planning to cover the Children of the Corn series up until Dimension stops making them for the challenge and I have a feeling I'm in for some pain. I remember CotC 2 at least being hilariously bad.

Doing the same thing, I've seen a couple of them but it's been a loooooong time but I do remember 3 being pretty good. Hoping this and going through the Howling movies doesn't make me want to kill myself.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

A little late but I wanna do this and I also think the '00s were a good decade of Horror so here is the best top ten of that decade because it includes The Hills Have Eyes '06 which I think everyone else overlooked (or doesn't think is a top ten movie which is a wrong opinion)...in no particular order...

Shaun of the Dead
The Mist
Drag Me to Hell
Slither
The Hills Have Eyes
May
Murder Party
Cabin Fever
Trick 'r Treat
Them (Ils)

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

While we're throwing out late '90s/early '00s titles, don't ever forget Disturbing Behavior.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Serious Party Gods posted:

Right on! Thanks. Has anyone seen "The Candy Snatchers"? Looks like a low-rent Last House on the Left.

Kinda sorta but way better than Last House

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Top 5 Carpenter

The Thing
Halloween
In the Mouth of Madness
The Fog
They Live

Bottom 3

Someone's Watching Me
Memoirs of an Invisible Man
Dark Star (I owe this one a rewatch obviously)

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Wasn't Lloyd Kaufman in one of those Cursed Film episodes? I wanna say it was the Twilight Zone episode and it made it seem like he was extremely careful about safety on set and said something like "A movie isn't worth anyone's liife".

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Just the thought of Freddy in a Groot dream makes me want to see this happen.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

If any of you have not seen Freaks, please do so and be forever thankful that Tod Browning somehow got that movie made

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

TCM always rules. AMC edits in commercials right? Do they edit for time/content as well? I know IFC does commercials but doesn't edit out any of the film.

AMC edits their movies for content which makes no sense considering the amount of gore that The Walking Dead gets away with, I usually just stick with TCM/IFC, if you have Fox Movie Channel they air some decent stuff late at night and that's also uncut as far as I know.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Jason Goes to Hell owns and I will never get the hate for it.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Halloween '78
Halloween '18
Zombie's Halloween II
Halloween II
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Zombie's Halloween
Halloween: H20
Halloween 4
Halloween 6
Halloween 5
Halloween: Resurrection

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

dorium posted:

Still a theater movie for me. Will be cool to watch 2018 and then watch Kills back to back tho. Maybe toss the original at the top and make it a trilogy night.

That's my plan for Halloween night, along with the usual Trick 'r Treat and Night of the Demons .

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Dead Alive x10

It is the greatest movie of all time after all.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Bula Vinaka posted:

There's an AI upscale on YouTube of the "blood edition" DVD which is the only uncut version that is actually in the correct aspect ratio and isn't cropped to poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmyQbr6D7PI

Colors are kinda weird.

Peter Jackson really needs to finish up whatever he's doing to them and give us these movies all fancied up, been waiting forever.

As for non-Horror top ten...

Speed
Independence Day
Armageddon
Jurassic Park
Super Troopers
Con Air
My Darling Clementine
The Sting
Dumb and Dumber
Grosse Pointe Blank

Heavily influenced by stuff I watched a lot growing up and still do to this day (mostly those '90s movies on the list).

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

VROOM VROOM posted:

while we're on the topic of franchise crimes I watched the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot before any of the previous ones

I have a friend who, to this day, insist that the Elm Street remake is better than any of other movies in the series.

I do not take her opinion seriously on anything now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Erin (Sharni Vinson) from You're Next